• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobabe

check the bounty board.

Yeah I checked the board, completed the mission and pressed "accept" on my reward but the credits haven't gone in.

Is it worth mentioning I was carrying 6 slaves for the mission, got scanned (and fined) and then handed the mission in. Would that constitute a fail? Because it didn't say anything.

Yeah I checked the board, completed the mission and pressed "accept" on my reward but the credits haven't gone in.

Is it worth mentioning I was carrying 6 slaves for the mission, got scanned (and fined) and then handed the mission in. Would that constitute a fail? Because it didn't say anything.

If you were able to hand in the mission, it shouldn't have been a fail.

Zalusithix

Whelp, I'll be staying in black market land for a bit longer. Modified my route a bit and I'm netting a 1 million credit round trip average on a single jump loop which should put me over 6 million an hour with virtually no risk on fines.

Zalusithix

This new AI behavior is interesting... Got interdicted by a pirate, so I submit / boost / SC. He then interdicts me again. Do the same submit / boost / SC dance again to get back on track. NPC then follows me to the station and tries to engage me there. I just continued to ignore him and docked which prompted him to run away. Never seen the AI that tenacious before.

I could have easily dispatched him, but didn't want to risk having the system authority show up mid fight while I have illicit goods.

I believe that you can now have bounty hunters assigned specifically to you.

EDIT: lolol I signed back on for the first time in like a month. Hadn't turned in the "Protect against Patreus" community goal for combat bonds I started a while ago. I only cashed in like 500k in bonds, which probably out me in the top 70% if that.

Weeeeeeell, for whatever reason the game thought I was in the top 5%.

Easiest 15,000,000 credits I've ever made.

Really liking the new supercruise noises, btw. Oh, my stutter os completely gone, btw. I pledged allegiance to Hudson but only as a part of the "used to be a fed" narrative I'm building for my pilot. I'll defect to a power that is more "me" in a few weeks, I think.

Orgun

Wait, what? You bought something considered an illicit good at that very station? That shouldn't be possible. It's possible that they're considered illicit goods in the system at large, but I've never seen a station selling goods that it itself prohibits, and I've never seen system wide illicit goods considered illicit in the local space around the station that sells them.

Yeah I thought it was weird too, I bought them off the normal commodity market and saw the illicit good text on the lower right when leaving the station.

If the station also has a black market... you may buy and sell at the same station for free money... lol

I'll double check and see if it's possible to buy there and sell to the black market, I think it had one. If so then it's definitely a bug i'll report.

Special shout out to la_briola, who taught me the ways of the smuggle lifestyle.

Why was I slaving away at CGs in CZs and farming RES sites when I could have been doing this? Making 3x the money in half the time invested with virtually none of the inherent risk that comes with combat is a real thing. I think FD should consider buffing the amounts on bounties. $100k-$200k in bounties just isn't enough for the inherent risk to your ships, imo, not even considering the time invested in waiting for a bounty to spawn.

Consider: If you did bounty hunting exclusively, you'd make approximately in an hour what I made tonight in 12 minutes by trading. I know because that's what I had been doing the last couple of days since PP launched, trying to figure out how to make money fighting. So you're taking a huge hit in potential profit while accepting the risk of losing your ship potentially every time you went out, as some of those bounty targets come in wings of 3 (which tends to be made up of Python + Vulture + Viper) which can dish out a surprising amount of damage. Conflict Zones are a bit safer and pay better than most options, but same deal...CZs can get you roughly....idunno...maybe 1.5m-2m/hour thanks to the update (used to be less)? While assuming quite a bit of risk if you get caught hitting the shield cell bank too late. Meanwhile, made that same amount in 1/3 that time trading and eating a ham sandwich at the same time. And it's not even devoid of excitement like I thought it might be as I keep getting interdicted and having to dodge scans rushing into mail slots.

This seems to be the only reasonable way to stack chips. I don't even know what I'm saving for at this point, but whatever it is, I'll be able to afford it in short order at this pace.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Could someone please PM me the hot smuggling route too? I'll probably not even use it because I'm out exploring, but I'm curious to see where it is and how it works. Maybe someday I'll try my hand at something like it!

Zalusithix

There's not really one hot route. It's just a matter of finding a station with a lot of cheap imperial slaves, and then delivering them to a station that has imperial slaves banned, but is in a system controlled/exploited by Archon Delaine. This guarantees a black market to sell the slaves, and adds additional profit that you wouldn't get elsewhere.

What route is optimal to you will depend on your ship and tolerance to risk. My route, unlike la_briola's, doesn't have have any scan dodging and slot running. Since I'm using an outpost though, anybody using a T7/T9/Clipper wouldn't be able to use it. Those larger ships are limited to starports with the risk of scans.

If anybody wants my path, I'll be happy to oblige (1m/round trip @ 276t cargo, medium/small pad ships only, single jump in the 14ly range), but I wont be able to provide it until I get home as I don't have the exact system/station names memorized.

Shifty76

Happy to report that the save restore FD did on my account worked so I was able to log in again last night. Just 500 LY from home now, though I'll travel to that CG system to turn in my data first. Log says ~5100 systems visited so I'm estimating 4600 or so this trip. Not looking forward to the hours it'll take to sell all that data :/

Zalusithix

Happy to report that the save restore FD did on my account worked so I was able to log in again last night. Just 500 LY from home now, though I'll travel to that CG system to turn in my data first. Log says ~5100 systems visited so I'm estimating 4600 or so this trip. Not looking forward to the hours it'll take to sell all that data :/

I haven't done any real exploring... Is selling the data really that time consuming? If it takes multiple hours to sell, then they really need to revamp that system.

Sarcasm

What is this save restore thing going on?

Also how do I fix my middle mouse scroll down not working ingame? (middle mouse scroll up does)

Mengy

Thanks for the PM Briola!

There's not really one hot route. It's just a matter of finding a station with a lot of cheap imperial slaves, and then delivering them to a station that has imperial slaves banned, but is in a system controlled/exploited by Archon Delaine. This guarantees a black market to sell the slaves, and adds additional profit that you wouldn't get elsewhere.

So basically you guys are just exploiting the Pirate King faction, that's kind of cool. Maybe when I get back to civilized space I'll swap some cargo racks into my Asp and give this a shot. I'm actually not too far from the bubble yet, maybe I'll turn back and slave trade for a bit just to earn enough to outfit my new Diamondback Explorer the way I want it, and then head back out into deep space exploring.

I actually enjoyed trading back when I was in a T6 saving up to buy my Asp. Eventually I'll go back to trading hardcore for a bit, work my way up to buying a T7 someday for a big hauler.

I haven't done any real exploring... Is selling the data really that time consuming? If it takes multiple hours to sell, then they really need to revamp that system.

You can only sell one page of data at a time, about a dozen systems worth, so yeah when you come home with hundreds or even thousands of scanned systems it can take a long time to sell it all. And sometimes the server processes the data very slowwlllyyyyyy......

la_briola

My route is for (L)arge landing pads: Type7/9, Clipper, Anaconda and so on.
If you have a (M)edium ship like a Python/Type6 you should look for an outpost to sell your Imperial slaves, like Zalusithix did.

Shifty76

What is this save restore thing going on?

Also how do I fix my middle mouse scroll down not working ingame? (middle mouse scroll up does)
My save was FUBAR'd so I had to submit a ticket to get FD to reset it to my last good location.

Selling data can take several mins per page. Each page = 20 systems

Zalusithix

So basically you guys are just exploiting the Pirate King faction, that's kind of cool. Maybe when I get back to civilized space I'll swap some cargo racks into my Asp and give this a shot. I'm actually not too far from the bubble yet, maybe I'll turn back and slave trade for a bit just to earn enough to outfit my new Diamondback Explorer the way I want it, and then head back out into deep space exploring.

I actually enjoyed trading back when I was in a T6 saving up to buy my Asp. Eventually I'll go back to trading hardcore for a bit, work my way up to buying a T7 someday for a big hauler.

Yep, it's exploiting the synergy of Delaine's bonuses with the high value of imperial slaves. Frankly, I still think it's somewhat unbalanced. From a profit perspective, I don't see the point of doing any other trading when this is available. I mean, 2500/t round trip was considered good profit before. This is over 3500/t round trip. Sure there's the risk aspect, but it's not commensurately higher - at least not with the outpost route.

Perhaps there's another equally profitable route out there taking advantage of Aisling's 10% to high value goods bonus. Theoretically if you can get a route with high value goods in both directions, the 10%+ twice might beat out the 15% one way BM bonus in Delaine's territory. At the same time you'd be doing something perfectly legal and have additional system security. (Her bonuses didn't seem to be working though back when I was in her territory over the weekend.) Of course the ultimate profit would likely be a trip where you buy the slaves in Delaine's territory from a station that bans something like weapons, and then sell the slaves at a station in his territory that bans the slaves but sells the weapons. Black market bonus both ways.

DrBo42

Patch notes are up

Thanks for your patience while the servers are down today... (should be back up at approximately 16.30PM BST)

Here's a list of the changes in Elite: Dangerous 1.3.01:

Client Changes:

- Fix soft lock loading system map
- Fix for route plotting: route isn't cleared anymore each time a target is locked. Route is now cleared only when plotting a new route, reaching the end of the current route or when jumping in another system which is not the next destination on the current route
- Fix NAT handling for text chat
- Art tweaks for vibrant and tactical paint jobs
- Fixed Hangar cameras for DiamonbackXL so the right camera is focusing on the appropriate place
- Increase base repair cost for Diamondback Explorer as it was too low
- Fixed miner loadout with missing mining laser
- Updated Hitman Attacks AI archetype to be more aggressive
- Altruism Missions Will now remove all cargo upon completion
- Massacre Killcounts now update and display correctly across panels
- Make the nearby faction station generator check for permits
- Text fixes for branching massacre and assassination missions
- Audio: enabling diamondback other soundbanks on mac
- Fix HeatSinkLaunchers firing multiple heat sinks
- Fix missing space in news item headers
- Fix a bunch of UI text issues

Server Changes:

- Fix rank benefits for reducing fines and bounties from committing crimes
- Various performance and reliability improvements, including significant improvements for hyperspacing and exploration scanning
- Fix some missing ships that should have been stocked by various powers
- Commanders who cannot load back into the game after a certain type of Hyperspace failure should be automatically rescued to the last system they safely docked in.
- Fix faction influence levels when many factions experience significant influence drops in a given star system

To address problems from the above issue, all minor faction influence levels in all star systems have been reset back to their state just before the release of 1.3

For those Commanders affected by the problems with military ranks, their Federation and Empire progression has been restored to the state just before the release of 1.3

Zalusithix

For those Commanders affected by the problems with military ranks, their Federation and Empire progression has been restored to the state just before the release of 1.3

I wonder how they determine that. If it's just a blanket revert, then I guess Dreams-Visions isn't going to be King anymore. =P

What route is optimal to you will depend on your ship and tolerance to risk. My route, unlike la_briola's, doesn't have have any scan dodging and slot running. Since I'm using an outpost though, anybody using a T7/T9/Clipper wouldn't be able to use it. Those larger ships are limited to starports with the risk of scans.

If anybody wants my path, I'll be happy to oblige (1m/round trip @ 276t cargo, medium/small pad ships only, single jump in the 14ly range), but I wont be able to provide it until I get home as I don't have the exact system/station names memorized.

hook me up, dogg!

Good reddit tip that I'm gonna take action on tonight (from the Hudson subreddit):

Let me begin by saying that this is in no way new information - indeed many of you might already be doing this. What I'm about to detail in this post is a short guide to earning Powerplay Merits by undermining opposing Powers as an alternative to grinding Expansion missions into the tens of thousands %.

Why grinding Expansion goals is bad
Right now we have 3 Expansion goals going, all of which are at several thousand % above the required threshold. These will be achieved no matter what, there is simply no way for the opposition to undermine our efforts at this point. Now, the reason most CMDRs are farming these goals is because they want Merits, not because they wish to help the cause. It started that way, sure, but now it's just the go-to method of gaining Merits through combat.

The problem lies in the fact that President Hudson's Faction is combat focused - in fact, it's the only one out of the 10 Powers with all 3 types of PP actions listed as Combat in the Ethos section. (Even the pirates have just 2 out of 3!). This undoubtedly led many CMDRs to pledge to Hudson in the hope that they can participate in Powerplay while doing what they love best - fighting and killing. However, if we keep this up and only focus on expansions instead of fortifying and consolidating our current holdings, we will lose in the long run.

So what do you do instead? You undermine the other Powers, of course! Granted, this is not the best solution - that would be to pick up a space truck and start shipping supplies in order to fortify our existing systems, and only then move on to undermining, but we're here for combat, right? So at least let's do something moderately helpful to our beloved Federation, instead of grinding Military Strikes for no gain at all.

Undermine the opposition for fun and profits
First we have to find a system that needs messing with. Either go to the Galaxy Map, switch to Powerplay view, and then tick the "Control Systems" option down at the bottom or check the Powerplay menu and browse through the other Factions, checking their Control tab. Either way you do it, look for Control Systems that have less than 100% of the Undermining goal achieved.

Once you find a suitable target, plot a course and head on over there. This may take a while, since most not-yet-undermined opposing systems are deep behind enemy lines, but it's well worth the trip. Once you get to the target enemy Control System, fly around in Supercruise and look for ships with a particular name: * Imperial Supply (Arrisa) * Imperial Support (Patreus) * Private Security (Torval) * Alliance Bureaucrat (Mahon) * Campaign (Aisling) * Sirius Transports (Li Yong-Rui) * Crew Transports (Archon Delaine) * Reform (Pranav Antal)

There are quite a lot of these types of ships spawning constantly in each enemy Control System. Just wait around a bit and chase them while they fly from the sun to a station. Now that you have the targets in sight, you need to interdict them and drop them out of Supercruise. Most of these ships are freighters, so it's easy. The last step is simple: blow them up. You will get a bounty for murder, but it's well worth it. After the kill, check your Transactions tab and see 15 shiny new Merits as a your well earned reward. Yes, 15 Merits per kill while undermining.

Wrap-up
It's fun, it's thrilling (you are behind enemy lines, after all), it often leads to PvP, and it's very rewarding at 15 Merits per kill compared to the 1 Merit per kill you get while doing the expansion Military Strike missions. Not to mention that once you get the hang of it, it goes very quickly. I made 350 Merits in a few scant hours, playing on and off again while cooking lunch and reading the subreddit. And let me put it this way: you only need to kill 100 of these targets to get to Rating 4 with the Faction - That's 5 Million credits for 100 kills, plus the rest of the benefits from loyalty.
So get going, CMRDs! Wreck some havoc behind enemy lines and make them work for their territory.
-CMDR Vilverum Fae

Basically, people are farming merits at Military Strike points, even though that specific Expand goal is almost certainly accomplished for the week (we're talking 2000% percent over the target goal).

Only focusing on these (unneeded) expansion goals is short-sighted, but people want to help out via combat. Instead, they should work on undermining opposing systems to max their merits AND help the Power. So, look on the Control tab for an opposing faction and find a Control System with less than 100% of Undermining goal achieved.

These systems are usually deep in enemy territory. Once in the system, look for specific ships, based on the Power: * Imperial Supply (Arrisa) * Imperial Support (Patreus) * Private Security (Torval) * Alliance Bureaucrat (Mahon) * Campaign (Aisling) * Sirius Transports (Li Yong-Rui) * Crew Transports (Archon Delaine) * Reform (Pranav Antal)

Interdict aaaaaaand...blow them up! You get 15 merits per kill, but each kill does come with a bounty on your head, which can also make it a little more exciting. He says you'll only need to kill 100 targets to get to rank 4 with your Power. Not sure if that's true (I haven't done the numbers) but it does seem like a fun way to play. Would love to take a GAF squad into enemy territory.

Oh, and if the Power is a member of your faction, I'm not sure that you want to blow them up--all videos I saw said that you should just steal the cargo of opposing Power same faction, and destroy the ship of opposing Power opposing faction.

EDIT: An ED concept artist made a Struzan-esque banner for PP:

xavier-henry-steambanner.jpg

Zalusithix

EDIT: An ED concept artist made a Struzan-esque banner for PP:

xavier-henry-steambanner.jpg

First thing that comes to mind looking at that image: the joystick and throttle are reversed. That part needs to be mirrored if it's to look like it should as an outsider looking at the pilot.

Speaking of the chair, they really need to make more than one variation. It looks like complete ass in imperial ships. I find it really hard to believe that Gutamaya would place that bulky, angular monstrosity inside ships designed around sweeping curves. They also need to ditch the completely pointless screen between your legs. The ships are based on holographic projection of information, so why the hell is there a physical screen on the chair? I don't think they know either - seeing as how it is always blank.

Klyka

Banned
Fellow CMDRs following Zachary Hudson,
I reach out to you in a time of need. The villainous Archon Delaine has laid siege to the peaceful Lusonda system. A system directly bordering Hudson space. A system worth a potential 126 CC which is 50% of the ENTIRE CC capital the Archon currently has. Not only would him taking control of this system increase his future expansion options massively, it would also allow him to DIRECTLY border and attack our space! Our systems! Our HOME!
CMDRs, can we let such a thing happen? I say "Nay, we can not!"
So please, set plot your routes to Lusonda and help drive back the filthy pirates!
God speed
CMDR Klyka Assistant adviser to the Lusonda Military

In case people would like to help out!

You can fight in the "Resistance pockets" for 1 merit a pop or you can interdict any NPCs aligned with Archon Delaine for 15 merits.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Have people gotten the power-specific gear yet? I've been leaning toward the Alliance power and I'm wondering if that Retribution heat laser is any good.

First thing that comes to mind looking at that image: the joystick and throttle are reversed. That part needs to be mirrored if it's to look like it should as an outsider looking at the pilot.

GFDKi2d.gif

Nice find :-|

Speaking of the chair, they really need to make more than one variation. It looks like complete ass in imperial ships. I find it really hard to believe that Gutamaya would place that bulky, angular monstrosity inside ships designed around sweeping curves. They also need to ditch the completely pointless screen between your legs. The ships are based on holographic projection of information, so why the hell is there a physical screen on the chair? I don't think they know either - seeing as how it is always blank.

Agreed 100%. I'd like to see:

-Different cockpit seating/furniture per manufacturer
-Different UI colors per manufacturer
-Different UI "styles". I know FD is married to the "consistent UI" across all ships, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be "re-skinned", conceptually. I'd love to see some of the older ships still using CRT monitors or something like that :)

In case people would like to help out!

You can fight in the "Resistance pockets" for 1 merit a pop or you can interdict any NPCs aligned with Archon Delaine for 15 merits.

ROGER THAT

I'm currently all about interdicting and undermining the enemy right now, so I'll probably do that. Planning on hopping on later tonight.

Refuse to go into Open Play until my Rhino arrives. Combat is really different when your thrust up button doesn't work, especially in something as maneuverable as the Vulture.

Mengy

So I added this post to a thread on the official forums where someone asked how Power Play could be improved. I feel like there wasn't much of anything added for explorers in 1.3 so this is what I suggested:

Add a little something for explorers to Power Play, something that will also enhance the overall game too.

Add a new faction to power play, a neutral faction that does not have any home planet nor territory, call it the Explorer's Guild or something. Basically it would be the corporation that runs the cartography centers that are on every station. If you pledge to this faction then you can take missions (randomly generated) to go explore uninhabited systems, both near and far, and very far away. Members would gain ranks and merits by submitting exploration data, and weekly members could "vote" on new uninhabited systems to expand into just like power play pledge members now pick systems to expand into. This would nominate candidate systems to expand civilized space into, which could then create missions to move supplies into those systems to build new space stations, thereby very gradually expanding manned space.

Of course the ten power play factions could eventually expand and take over these new systems as well once they were established....

The more I think about this, the more I love this idea. I wish something like it would be added to the game.

Klyka

Banned
Have people gotten the power-specific gear yet? I've been leaning toward the Alliance power and I'm wondering if that Retribution heat laser is any good.

You actually need to be aligned with your faction for FOUR WEEKS before you are allowed to buy their stuff.

Hylian7

Has it happeneed before where CGs don't even reach tier 1? The Hand Gang of Gandii one still hasn't hit Tier 1 yet and there's only like 3 days left.

Zalusithix

Whelp folks, it looks like the gravy train is over with the newest patch. Imperial slave profits are down to a bit over 1500cr/ea whereas they were over 3000cr/ea last night. That's still quite good, but it needs a good return trip to be worth it. Mine was just mediocre and relied on the super high slave values, so I'll be going back to my normal trading now.

Whelp folks, it looks like the gravy train is over with the newest patch. Imperial slave profits are down to a bit over 1500cr/ea whereas they were over 3000cr/ea last night. That's still quite good, but it needs a good return trip to be worth it. Mine was just mediocre and relied on the super high slave values, so I'll be going back to my normal trading now.

yep. was nerfed. Fun while it lasted. Assuming so much risk should lead to a measurable reward over regular trading. I got scanned once and lost the whole value of the cargo and then some. So it makes sense that more money is made. You also make more money IRL selling weed than you do selling cigarettes. The risk of losing your shit is the balance. Maybe it'll be re-buffed when they figure out how to make it more risky? Maybe cops will just open fire if scanned.

Has it happeneed before where CGs don't even reach tier 1? The Hand Gang of Gandii one still hasn't hit Tier 1 yet and there's only like 3 days left.
oh it'll hit tier 1. but it's clearly not worth doing since everyone is clearly more interested in Power Play stuff instead.

Zalusithix

yep. was nerfed. Fun while it lasted. Assuming so much risk should lead to a measurable reward over regular trading. I got scanned once and lost the whole value of the cargo and then some. So it makes sense that more money is made. You also make more money IRL selling weed than you do selling cigarettes. The risk of losing your shit is the balance. Maybe it'll be re-buffed when they figure out how to make it more risky? Maybe cops will just open fire if scanned.
Thing is, that danger really only existed at non-outpost type stations. The only risk I had was the higher prevalence of pirates. Even those were more of a nuisance than a risk. Perhaps they'll boost the profits in large stations and leave outposts as they are now. Dunno. In the mean time, I'll be back down to 4.x mil/hr profit in empire land. So much for my one week 'Conda. ;)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
You actually need to be aligned with your faction for FOUR WEEKS before you are allowed to buy their stuff.

Oh, ok! Well, I'm all signed up with Space Canada and will let you know how these block warmers work out in a month.

It seems like Edmund's group is pretty well organized. I'm just reviewing the targeted systems and it looks like everything is well chosen. Fortifications are done and the preparation targets are well covered. Neat. I guess that makes sense with the trade focus.

Now to go try out this Undermining thing.

DrBo42

Made 2 runs before they shut it down. So salty. Haha.

Destroyed a few Delaine unlicensed trade ships tonight --felt good, bro. That 15 merits per makes it feels really rewarding, especially since you're also getting a fat bounty on their head. Interesting mechanic to spice up your life...

Don't know if we'll be able to save Lusonda, klyk :'( I have no idea how to read the opposing graphs. We're only 1000 merits behind Delaine but like 200% behind them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom