• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellers

money comes so fast in the type 6. I have been doing a round trip about 20 minutes if I dick around and it is about 250k. It is a clunker though but damn if 100+ cargo is not awesome. I just do not know if the Asp is worth it.

I know what you mean but I really, really don't like the type 6 and there's nothing much else at the moment to spend my cash on except more ships :)

Danj

Go to high tech systems/stations.
(like Ho Hsi, hint hint)

How do you find out what systems/stations are high tech? Is there a list somewhere?

I started at some place called Chemaku, seems to be a ways away from anywhere useful looking, what direction should I be heading in?

EDIT: oh, and if we're on about commanders who need their asses kicking, the person who potted my lowly Sidewinder twice last night was called CMDR Pandorra, so if anyone sees them, give'em what for.

HelloMeow

EDIT: oh, and if we're on about commanders who need their asses kicking, the person who potted my lowly Sidewinder twice last night was called CMDR Pandorra, so if anyone sees them, give'em what for.

We need an ingame notepad for this. Or some kind of kill and death history.

Lol that asshole also destroyed my hauler the other day. Thank god it was on the cheap leg of my trade loop. And I had absolutely 0 bounties on me.

Now that I graduated to a Cobra he is on my kill-on-sight list.

I...I think I'm going to buy an X52 and this game. i hope I like it! The last time I used a joystick was MechWarrior 4.

I hadn't used a Joystick since Tie Fighter as a kid. I picked up an X52 and it's perfect. It's literally the controller that your in-game model uses. It's bad ass, coupled with Trackir and I've been in heaven. I can't wait till Oculus Rift consumer release.

Nymerio

ffs, the reputation thing still isn't fixed. Did another contract and my rep with jet comms decreased :(

Hey is the game down for maintenance at the moment or something? I'm getting an "unconnected" message.

I just played, it should be online.

Aegus

Was in the conflict zone and got in battle with another cmdr. I didn't realise I had to choose my faction at the start so think it was maybe friendly fire. Anyway I tried to leave him alone, but he came at me.

The battle finished when my shields came up at the exact moment his went down and we hit each other. Funny shit.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Annoying ass reputation bug, now Ho Hsi is completely cut off from me progress wise, no missions are offered from Jet Comms anymore because they hate me.

I'm out of here.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bah. My keyboard (AKA my thrust controls) stopped responded unless I exited and reentered, then I ran into a server error and it CTD. How I wish this was truly offline. I can't help that my ISP is literal garbage.

EDIT: Oh, looks like I'm not alone.

Nymerio

Annoying ass reputation bug, now Ho Hsi is completely cut off from me progress wise, no missions are offered from Jet Comms anymore because they hate me.

I'm out of here.

It really does suck. I was already friendly with jet comms then suddenly they are unfriendly towards me after I handed in a contract. Now I've just done another conflict contract and this time it actually increased my reputation with them. Seems to be random which faction you get the rep for :|

I think I'll go back to normal bounty hunting.

JambiBum

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Jet Comms just gave me a 110k mission to take a bunch of Gallite from Hand ring to Steiner. :D

HowZatOZ

Banned
In this game can you have your own space station to keep ships in?

Not as specific as that, but you can choose to keep all your ships in a specific station if you so please.

Also people, help me out here. I've had three missions so far asking to kill pirates/traders in specific zones and I just can not find them. I try to hunt down unidentified sources by supercruising around but it just isn't working. I've also been ambushed a heap of times by guys scanning my cargo (I always seem to be full of illegal stuff) but they aren't pirates just random peeps needing a bounty kill.

So, where the hell are pirates/traders and how the hell do I spot them?

How do you find out what systems/stations are high tech? Is there a list somewhere?

I started at some place called Chemaku, seems to be a ways away from anywhere useful looking, what direction should I be heading in?

Go to your galaxy map, view tab, there's an option in one of the drop-downs to sort for economy, just uncheck everything but "high tech".

JambiBum

Not as specific as that, but you can choose to keep all your ships in a specific station if you so please.

Also people, help me out here. I've had three missions so far asking to kill pirates/traders in specific zones and I just can not find them. I try to hunt down unidentified sources by supercruising around but it just isn't working. I've also been ambushed a heap of times by guys scanning my cargo (I always seem to be full of illegal stuff) but they aren't pirates just random peeps needing a bounty kill.

So, where the hell are pirates/traders and how the hell do I spot them?

Traders are usually only in USS's and will sometimes be alone. They will pop up on your comms saying something like buying high tech gear or something like that. Hopefully one day we can actually trade with these ships, but for now they are just fodder for pirates.

Klyka

Banned
Traders are usually only in USS's and will sometimes be alone. They will pop up on your comms saying something like buying high tech gear or something like that. Hopefully one day we can actually trade with these ships, but for now they are just fodder for pirates.

You can trade with them.

If you have what they want in your cargo hold and you fly close enough to them, they will take it out of your hold and give you money for it.

Klyka

Banned
Just wanted to thank everyone who is currently in and around Ho Hsi and is making the civil war a reality.

Never thought that my quick idea on release day would become this big and get so many people involved who are now enjoying themselves in and around the conflict zones created and of course beforehand in actually establishing Jet Comms in the system and causing the war to happen in the first place.

Thanks everyone, this all brings a smile to my face!

You can trade with them.

If you have what they want in your cargo hold and you fly close enough to them, they will take it out of your hold and give you money for it.
That seems so awesome. But so random too. Or have you been successful in executing trades like this often?

Klyka

Banned
That seems so awesome. But so random too. Or have you been successful in executing trades like this often?

I once had some computer parts (or whatever they are called) in cargo and came across the "Tech Acquisitions" Type 9 in a USS. I flew close to him and all my computer components got removed and I got about 10k in credits for them.

Rampant Jesus

Neo Member
To anyone who's on the fence about this game, just do yourself a favor and buy it. It is really not a purchase that you will regret any time soon.

There's so much to do in the game, whether it's aligning with a faction, trading, exploring, bounty hunting... the possibilities are almost limitless. The visuals in the game are fantastic, viewing different and unique planets and stars. The fact that the Milky Way in this game is the most advanced of any other game is a huge plus as well. If you type in the name of any star system into the navigation panel, you WILL find it.

I actually discovered this game while looking up information about No Man's Sky, and I couldn't be happier with what I found. The lore of this game is also amazing and in-depth, and much more immersive than your average game. The developers have even gone so far as to publish books on Amazon that take place in the game's universe. There's like 10 of them. Read them. They're good.

I've got posted some screenshots I've taken while playing, just trying to capture some of the magic that is this game. Enjoy them.

A HUGE battleship orbiting Earth.
BDEF77A76097B051C4FA090C7109B6EBB34DA1DA

One of the smaller class of stations found in the game.
AAB3407C020C74714A7845C796D72A07E765F54A

Aulin Enterprise, found in the Aulin system. A major hub during the alpha and beta.
C8F277B5F547D95B29248DB8BF052BA53958349F

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Conflict zones and vouchers aren't bugged, but some of the warzone mission types are. Jet Commas can give warzone mission types which lead to lost rep and influence for Jet Comms when completed. I'm working on a list.

http://www.reddit.com/r/HoHsi/comments/2qib8d/tracking_the_goodbad_warzone_mission_types_some/

I think the "hunt warzone" vs "destroy warzone" wording on the transactions tab might be a clue too. Some warzone missions are anti-conflict (kill fighters so the conflict ends and we can trade more easily again).

Also, if you do a warzone mission from any other faction, it can kill your rep, even if you side with Jet Comms for the kills. Be very careful to only accept warzone missions from Jet Comms and even then, pay attention to the wording.

Hellers

I haven't found any other really unique stations like that one so far, I really enjoy the greenery inside. It gives it a bit of a personality regarding the faction that controls it.

I think one of the ones in Tau Ceti uses the same internal model. It'll be nice when they find the time to make more unique models.

I'm alternating between the Mass Effect and BSG sound tracks.

Great choices; I'm really into the EVE soundtrack, it's got that unique sound you look for in a soundtrack of Space. I really love the ME soundtrack(s), but sometimes the orchestral/symphonic parts take away from the unique electronica.

Still, can't go wrong with any of those.

Rampant Jesus

Neo Member
For anyone interested in the lore of the universe from a story-telling perspective, there are several novels published in Elite: Dangerous' name.

The one that I enjoyed reading the most was Tales From the Frontier. It dives into several different stories (15 to be exact) and covers a multitude of perspectives and professions. From bounty hunting to treasure hunting, this book really filled out the void that was my knowledge of Elite. On Amazon, it's about $10 as an eBook.
This is the link to the book's official website: http://www.elite-anthology.co.uk/

RealMeat

Banned
Any suggestions on how to make money quickly?

Bounty hunting in resource extraction sites works well. Pirates keep showing up, and the local law enforcement ships help out. Trading seems to be the way to make really large amounts of money, but I haven't put in the time to find some good routes yet.

Jedi2016

Trading is one of those where you have to have money before you can make money. It also increases exponentially the more money you have, and the more stuff you can haul. Even small profits turn big when you're trading 100+tons of the stuff at a time.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Trading is one of those where you have to have money before you can make money. It also increases exponentially the more money you have, and the more stuff you can haul. Even small profits turn big when you're trading 100+tons of the stuff at a time.

Yeah, I just switched my viper to a cobra so I can resume working my way up the trade progression. Once I get more money I'll buy a viper as a second ship and keep that parked at Aeternitas for Ho Hsi work.

Time for me to learn the rare commodity trade mechanics (e.g. George Lucas station).

Saganator

I use to worry about NPC's taking kills, but holy shit humans are way worse. I've had at least 3 kills sniped from me in the past few minutes. Just wasting money on ammo at this point.

Nymerio

npcs aren't really a problem, I think you get the credit even you didn't get the last hit, you just have to have done some damage in the seconds before the ship blows up. It really does suck though that you get nothing if another player gets the last hit.

Klyka

Banned
npcs aren't really a problem, I think you get the credit even you didn't get the last hit, you just have to have done some damage in the seconds before the ship blows up. It really does suck though that you get nothing if another player gets the last hit.

Which is also not 100% cause Lunatitch and I played for over an hour together yesterday and we had many times where we BOTH got the bounty, times where one of us got it and times where neither of us got it.

Jedi2016

Took down a Federal Dropship that interdicted me. First kill since launch! The feds showed up halfway through and kept him distracted after I'd let my shields drop, but my minicannons were making mincemeat of his hull, so last hit was almost guaranteed to be mine. And a nice 25K bounty for my trouble.

Saganator

Yeah, that was a waste of time and money. Too many people in the conflict zones fighting for kills for me. If I was a bit better at flying, I could probably finish off my kills faster, but right now I feel like all I'm doing is knocking down an enemy's shields so someone else can finish it off. Got frustrated with some dude, sorry if that was a GAF'er, I was pretty irritated by that point.

So I just have to say this. I broke up with my girlfriend about 2 weeks ago and it's been pretty tough, so I decided to impulse buy an Oculus Rift DK2 off Craigslist for 350$ (CDN$, i live in Vancouver). I had heard about Elite, because of the whole online/offline controversy, but i've never played an Elite game before.

This is the absolute most amazing gaming experience i've ever had, and i've been gaming and keep current since the Commodore 64. It's just so immersive. it's unbelievable. So I then purchased a HOTAS (Thrustmaster HOTAS X) and I couldn't be happier.

I was hugely anticipating No Man's Sky, and keeping my distance but still have an ear on Star Citizen, while being completely oblivious that this kind of experience was here, NOW. X100!!

I even watched James Cameron's Deep Sea documentary and I really felt like "Whatever, the ocean, i've been to fucking space Jim". ya that sounds a little crazy, but that's how the Oculus and Elite with HOTAS makes you feel. phew.

I can't recommend this enough.

Sephon

K-Dizzle, I think you may have been a gaffer but you opened fire on my Jett Comm brothers and that just ain't cool.

Also, Starry is cruising around in a Viper, Freebird and I chased him out of a conflict zone, haven't seen him in a few.

Edit: I just followed him to Hand Ring, I'm loitering in super cruise outside for the moment.

So Freebird is a gaffer?
I had a random chat with him the other day, my first voice comm. It was a bit awkward since I'm not a native english speaker and chat volume was way blow the game volume. But it was still awesome.
Jet Comms forever! o7

Sephon

I even watched James Cameron's Deep Sea documentary and I really felt like "Whatever, the ocean, i've been to fucking space Jim". ya that sounds a little crazy, but that's how the Oculus and Elite with HOTAS makes you feel. phew.

I can't recommend this enough.

I know how you feel.
I remember talking to a few colleagues of mine and we where talking about what we did last weekend. When the question came back to me I simply said I've been cruising the rings of saturn, and it really feels that all their previous statements was completely null and void.
It's not as if I actually was cruising the rings of saturn, but it's as close as we'll get :)

I once had some computer parts (or whatever they are called) in cargo and came across the "Tech Acquisitions" Type 9 in a USS. I flew close to him and all my computer components got removed and I got about 10k in credits for them.

I had no idea thats what those guys do!!

Has anyone noticed more floating cargo near stations lately? The last couple of station i visisted, i found a fucking bounty of floating booty just hanging out in space. Everything from narcotics, tobacco and personal weapons, to coltan, silver and other materials today. And then i got scanned and fined. lol

Lime

I even watched James Cameron's Deep Sea documentary and I really felt like "Whatever, the ocean, i've been to fucking space Jim". ya that sounds a little crazy, but that's how the Oculus and Elite with HOTAS makes you feel. phew..

Haha :lol

Sorry to hear about the breakup but I do envy you with your Oculus :p the game is really really amazing, I totally agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom