• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Deadly trademark secured

ekim

https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/013748521
untitledijsvs.png

We don't know the owner yet, but we can assume it's Frontier since the representative that did the registration also registered all recent trademarks for Frontier.

Danlord

An offline playable version would get a sale from me, or even better a console port would. I have always liked the look of Elite from looking into the history of it, and with No Man's Sky, this era of space-games are so exciting but I don't want to play Elite online and I'm thankful No Man's Sky has an offline mode; Elite needed to follow suit.

Darklord

Banned
I really hope they actually finish Elite: Dangerous first and don't just jump onto a sequel. It's still a very empty game with not much to do in it.

bj00rn_

Banned
What it actually means: Keeping possibilities open if/when needed.

But of course, since Elite Dangerous continues to be such a great experience, seeing the name on paper creates visions and pleasant feelings, not a bad thing that..

I'd hope for a console version but it's probably a mobile app.

They are not going to use an important name in the combat ranking just for a mobile app.. If anything, it will be a sequel - I think.

Considering they were hocking expansions (or rather, prepurchasing all future expansions) I'd be surprised if this was a sequel and not just the name of an expansion.

That is plausible actually

ekim

What it actually means: Keeping possibilities open if/when needed.

But of course, since Elite Dangerous continues to be such a great experience, seeing the name on paper creates visions and pleasant feelings, not a bad thing that..

I don't think you can register a trademark without using it afaik... but I could be wrong.

"I really hope they actually finish Elite: Dangerous first and don't just jump onto a sequel. It's still a very empty game with not much to do in it."

Considering they were hocking expansions (or rather, prepurchasing all future expansions) I'd be surprised if this was a sequel and not just the name of an expansion.

Danlord

I don't think you can register a trademark without using it afaik... but I could be wrong.

I'd take a look at The Last Guardian :p :p :p

Seriously though, as long as there is intent to use it, they're allowed the mark or it will die out if it hasn't been used (as it has happened twice with The Last Guardian)

Continuing the theme of having terrible names, I see. Well, stick with what you know I guess.

I'm holding out for Elite: Hazardous and Elite: ++Ungood

bj00rn_

Banned
Continuing the theme of having terrible names, I see. Well, stick with what you know I guess.

I'm holding out for Elite: Hazardous and Elite: ++Ungood

As much as I love Elite: Dangerous, I agree. Even the history and context taken into consideration, the name is a bit...yeah..

But you know; as long as a stupid name like "Wii" can be successful in this world, I guess it doesn't matter at all..

8bit

Knows the Score
What about the other ranks? Have they been trademarked?

I'm looking forward to Elite:Elite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAkHGbRPNR4

An offline playable version would get a sale from me, or even better a console port would. I have always liked the look of Elite from looking into the history of it, and with No Man's Sky, this era of space-games are so exciting but I don't want to play Elite online and I'm thankful No Man's Sky has an offline mode; Elite needed to follow suit.

You can play it solo. You don't need to take part in the universe, but you do need to be connected to receive updates.

Tenebrous

How would Elite work offline, and still maintain the persistent universe? If you wanted to play Elite offline, you'd never be able to play online... Not without some weird trickery, anyway.

Danlord

How would Elite work offline, and still maintain the persistent universe? If you wanted to play Elite offline, you'd never be able to play online... Not without some weird trickery, anyway.

Eh?

It'd work as it had done in the 80's, client-side. It's the same kind of thinking that reminds me of SimCity (2013). The bolded I don't know what you mean by that.

EDIT: Do you mean so if someone plays Offline and builds a really powerful ship/character and then goes to the online portal and will be overpowered comparatively to other users?

Top Bottom