• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The heat in this thread is interesting.

I like Emily and while she may have a lot to learn like someone from kotaku or any other outlet and it's understandable why she is being vague as these things change or maybe the source isn't being clear on the chips in question.

The drama surrounding it is silly and I do feel a bit sorry for her.

Yes, we all know what happened to the leaker that was very precise about the info he got, a.k.a. Trev.

People complain about the vagueness of the info, but at the same time resort to personal attacks against her, which makes it pretty obvious that not the "quality" of the info is the issue here.

I guess people would prefer no info to the info that doesn't fall in line with their own beliefs/fantasies.

Nin_Fan

The same could be said of Trev. He heard about the NX Platform launching this year, now it got pushed back to March 2017.

If my memory serves me right I could swear that the part about the NX coming out this was speculation on his and sources part based on what was planned for marketing firm wii u for the rest of the year. I swear I clearly remember him emphasize the fact the the budget stuff was fact and they just deduced the rest. I could wrong.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Perhaps I'm just taking my frustration with leakers in general out on her, or perhaps I feel that she insulted "me" (or rather, people who think like me) for logical reasoning just because it didn't fit with what she heard. Whatever the case is, she does not seem even a little bit modest to me. That said, I'm still saying that I believe her 80%, which is about the highest I'll believe any leak.

It's the second time when you say that she insulted you. Can you point out where? What logical reasoning did you ever express that was insulted?

True enough. Which is why she just shouldn't say anything until she's researched the information further.

I understand this conversation is about Emily, but I was just speaking generally. Emily generally provides at least some info that could be proven wrong or right eventually.

I remember when people were still posting every NX reddit rumor here, and most of them were basically dancing around saying anything other than saying it might release in 2016.

I don't mind Emily, but I'm also not too bothered by whether she's right or not, so how clear she is doesn't register as very important for me. But I can understand why people find this process frustrating.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Sure, but that has nothing to do with her being wrong or "human" as she says. She's reporting the facts as she hears them; if it's true now, that's all she needs to be concerned about

I just feel we are taking what she is saying/writing differently.

I don't believe the end of what you say is realistically true or practical. If someone gives you bunk no amount of dressing up will save you from a rep like magic sauce. I already mentioned as well nintendo could completely change the sku on them, this is a real concern since this is what happened with Wii. Iwata said as much as well admitting to 3 skus in a Iwata asks. Tell me now how even with rumors is it good to start working wihtout a real foundation.

LCGeek you know anything about nvidia and nx?

Wouldn't be at liberty to say and no the level info sdk wise is crap to me from past experiences at the same point prior to 3 different console launches. If my source at their level is being given vague shit that confounds even me from where to start, I just think it shit nintendo expects more of devs despite them being behind.

cartographer people do that with every major nintendo console since cube here. This is nothing new, if it didn't happen I would be wondering what is going on.

ozfunghi

Yes, we all know what happened to the leaker that was very precise about the info he got, a.k.a. Trev.

People complain about the vagueness of the info, but at the same time resort to personal attacks against her, which makes it pretty obvious that not the "quality" of the info is the issue here.

I guess people would prefer no info to the info that doesn't fall in line with their own beliefs/fantasies.

Like i said before, if she does not really have a technical background , she should just keep her opinion out of it. But she's not the only one, i said the same about 10k when he first claimed he had a dev all but confirm it was polaris, when in fact all the dev said was "polaris like feature" (about the primitive discard accellerator). I mean, it's really not that hard. I'm not asking for the official spec sheet, but keep your personal opinion and especially your interpretation of technical aspects of the information if you don't fully understand it, out of it. That's all.

Yeah bullshit. This would be like the third time she has either quit twitter, made her account private or vowed never to post more rumours.
Yes well people taking it so personally saying they are insulted by her doesn't help much. I hope she does continue and I am sure she will. You also need to be careful about how you approach your attitude towards her quitting Twitter or writing as the drama may bring her down more emotionally than other people. Not everyone has thick skin like a professional.

Speely

Banned
Eh, I'd rather have bits and pieces from fairly legit sources to speculate over, however vague, than to have nothing because fussy, entitled gamers throw a fit when the bits and pieces aren't big enough to satisfy their specific criteria for sharing.

The rumors and insider bits are my favorite parts of a pre-reveal, accurate or not. It's like a spiritual gaming ritual, and insiders are the oft-ecstatic and/or drug-filled shamanic figures that lead us, for better or worse, to speculative destinations we are either seeking or not seeking, and either way we have gone somewhere, friends. Whether or not that "somewhere" actually exists matters little, because we were there anyway.

We were there.

I am just excited about the NX, sorry.

Like i said before, if she does not really have a technical background , she should just keep her opinion out of it. But she's not the only one, i said the same about 10k when he first claimed he had a dev all but confirm it was polaris, when in fact all the dev said was "polaris like feature" (about the primitive discard accellerator). I mean, it's really not that hard. I'm not asking for the official spec sheet, but keep your personal opinion and especially your interpretation of technical aspects of the information if you don't fully understand it, out of it. That's all.

Didn't she wrote articles on the GCN chips?

Also if she wants to state her opinion she should.

NateDrake

Had a lengthy chat with Emily today, and she shared some information with me on all the rumor talk going on recently. Those thinking she is making stuff up for attention or that is she holding a carrot in front of you for laughs are wrong. Her sources are legit, and the claims are backed by several sources. She is sharing the information she has and is clearing the air of misinformation. It isn't being shared for attention.

She did say I could share this small bit with you: "Nvidia is involved with Nintendo's future hardware."

Neoxon

Had a lengthy chat with Emily today, and she shared some information with me on all the rumor talk going on recently. Those thinking she is making stuff up for attention or that is she holding a carrot in front of you for laughs are wrong. Her sources are legit, and the claims are backed by several sources. She is sharing the information she has and is clearing the air of misinformation. It isn't being shared for attention.

She did say I could share this small bit with you: "Nvidia is involved with Nintendo's future hardware."
So is Nvidia working on both the console & the handheld? Because we heard one report about Nvidia helping with the NX Handheld.

ZOONAMI

I just feel we are taking what she is saying/writing differently.

I don't believe the end of what you say is realistically true or practical. If someone gives you bunk no amount of dressing up will save you from a rep like magic sauce. I already mentioned as well nintendo could completely change the sku on them, this is a real concern since this is what happened with Wii. Iwata said as much as well admitting to 3 skus in a Iwata asks. Tell me now how even with rumors is it good to start working wihtout a real foundation.

Wouldn't be at liberty to say and no the level info sdk wise is crap to me from past experiences at the same point prior to 3 different console launches. If my source at their level is being given vague shit that confounds even me from where to start, I just think it shit nintendo expects more of devs despite them being behind.

cartographer people do that with every major nintendo console since cube here. This is nothing new, if it didn't happen I would be wondering what is going on.

Very interesting. Thanks! Unfortunate about the sdk.

Neoxon

Come to think of it, Nvidia doing the handheld while AMD does the console could explain why we haven't heard about the other form factor from each of the vendors. But at the same time, that could complicate things if the shared library thing pans out (unless both form factors have a common CPU).

ZOONAMI

Cool, well hopefully we are looking at at least a 1 tflop part from nvidia for the home console if the home console has a nvidia chip. Should at least be comparable to the base ps4.

To me this qualifies her calling the Polaris rumors "wacky."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

She is free to express her opinion, though. Especially on her own personal blog and her own personal twitter.

You can propose to the mods that any leaker besides the sources should also verify his or her degrees and only the ones that have studied in the fields accepted by you should be accepted by GAF too.

atbigelow

I could definitely see NVIDIA trying to score a big win with something based on the Tegra X1. AMD's been the go-to vendor for consoles for generations, with NVIDIA the rare duck.

Nintendo is also pretty adamant about the ownership of their hardware designs. NV being involved might mean they relinquished some of their past asshole ways.

javac

The idea of a portable device that connects to a dock and gains extra functionality reminds me of the Motorola Atrix, remember that? :p

Come to think of it, Nvidia doing the handheld while AMD does the console could explain why we haven't heard about the other form factor from each of the vendors. But at the same time, that could complicate things if the shared library thing pans out (unless both form factors have a common CPU).

ehhh
What have we 'heard' from AMD? Is it not just assumption piled on assumption? We used to point at AMD talking about the 3DS market as a sign they were working on a successor, where does that fit now?

ZOONAMI

I could definitely see NVIDIA trying to score a big win with something based on the Tegra X1. AMD's been the go-to vendor for consoles for generations, with NVIDIA the rare duck.

Nintendo is also pretty adamant about the ownership of their hardware designs. NV being involved might mean they relinquished some of their past asshole ways.

I actually would be pretty happy with a more powerful version of the shield tv with that sweet small form factor and nintendo exclusives. Pc games would be icing. Would also probably slot in at $199-$299, which would be good for Nintendo.

Nvidia licensing their streaming service would essentially mean built in 3rd party support, which is exactly what Nintendo needs.

4k media would basically be a given as well, and even native 4k support for some indy titles and some Nintendo stuff which would be fucking awesome.

There's honestly a lot of good to come out of a nvidia and nintendo partnership, namely deep mobile and pc integration, that Nintendo has little experience with.

Neoxon

The idea of a portable device that connects to a dock and gains extra functionality reminds me of the Motorola Atrix, remember that? :p
About that....
Satoru Iwata said:
Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing.

ozfunghi

Didn't she wrote articles on the GCN chips?

Also if she wants to state her opinion she should.
She is free to express her opinion, though. Especially on her own personal blog and her own personal twitter.

You can propose to the mods that any leaker besides the sources should also verify his or her degrees and only the ones that have studied in the fields accepted by you should be accepted by GAF too.

I'm not interested in her opinion on technical info, because she doesn't seem to be able to interpret it correctly. And i'm not saying she can't have an opinion, but she should keep it out of the info regarding technical aspects of the console, and she should clearly label it as such and keep it out of the actual "leaked info". I have no need for kneejerks like "NX won't blow any console away, except for WiiU" when you are leaking technical info and might not be best placed to make such a comment. But again, i have no beef with her personally. I was just as pissed to find out 10k gave his own interpretation about the polaris feature, and certainly about him claiming public tweets as a source. Just be clear and honest. That's all i ask. And no problem with a personal opinion, just seperate it from the actual info.

MDave

Juicy. That makes 3 different places saying Nvidia are involved with Nintendo?

Neoxon

I am 100 % sure this thing is gonna be a hybrid. It just makes sense tbh
Did you not see the Iwata quote? The timing of that quite was likely when they hammered down what the NX Platform would be as a concept, so now it's a bit late to change it (even after Iwata's death). Of course, that's if you meant a single-device hybrid.

You'd either end up with an overpowered handheld or an underpowered console by going the single-device hybrid route. It's a lose-lose situation.

Neoxon

So yoi guys are telling me.... All these leaks later and we still dont have a good picture of what the NX will be?
Well now we have reason to believe that Nvidia is helping with the NX Handheld's internals (thanks to Emily Rogers apparently backing up the recent report from SemiAccurate).

doop_

Banned
What's the third source outside of Emily and Charlie at semiaccurate?

Did you not see the Iwata quote? The timing of that quite was likely when they hammered down what the NX Platform would be as a concept, so now it's a bit late to change it (even after Iwata's death). Of course, that's if you meant a single-device hybrid.

You'd either end up with an overpowered handheld or an underpowered console by going the single-device hybrid route. It's a lose-lose situation.
Nah, i just feel that is where Nintendo is headed next, it just makes perfect sense. So excited for a hybrid !

That quote of yours predates the PS4 reveal announcement, so I hope you're not one of the people thinking nx is designed to compete with the ps4.

With a shared architecture, it should be easier to knock together a hardware idea faster, because you're going to have the software to back it up regardless.

Neoxon

Nah, i just feel that is where Nintendo is headed next, it just makes perfect sense. So excited for a hybrid !
Not really. As stated earlier, you'd either end up with a powerful handheld with crappy battery or an underpowered console that is within the Wii U's ballpark rather than the PS4 or Xbox One. It's an awkward position that doesn't benefit any part of what the supposed hybrid would be. And again, Iwata explicitly shot that idea down before he died, & later stated how he wanted to make the console & handheld "like brothers".
Satoru Iwata said:
For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.
You can't have two brothers who are the same person.

That quote of yours predates the PS4 reveal announcement, so I hope you're not one of the people thinking nx is designed to compete with the ps4.

With a shared architecture, it should be easier to knock together a hardware idea faster, because you're going to have the software to back it up regardless.
It's too late in the generation for Nintendo to pose any kind of threat to the PS4. That being said, I do expect the NX Console to be within the ballpark of the base PS4 & XB1 (as implied by one of our own, who was Bish-approved, saying that PS4/XB1 ports to the NX Platform won't be a problem).

doop_

Banned
Not really. As stated earlier, you'd either end up with a powerful handheld with crappy battery or an underpowered console that is within the Wii U's ballpark rather than the PS4 or Xbox One. It's an awkward position that doesn't benefit any part of what the supposed hybrid would be. And again, Iwata explicitly shot that idea down before he died, & later stated how he wanted to make the console & handheld "like brothers".

Nintendo will figure out a way to make it work. The Brother's could be the dock and the handheld.

Well now we have reason to believe that Nvidia is helping with the NX Handheld's internals (thanks to Emily Rogers apparently backing up the recent report from SemiAccurate).

ARM based console and handheld right? Could be amazing if they line things up properly

More than enough of a power bump. Going to sour those that want complete crossover with XB1.5 and PS Neo though

ozfunghi

I said this in the other thread. What about this scenario:

The handheld is the first Supplemental Computing Device you can add to enhance the home console performance. Especially if the handheld turns out to be more powerful than a WiiU, and the homeconsole turns out to be less powerfull than we expect. This would be the definition of brothers... and somewhat hybrid.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Nintendo will figure out a way to make it work. The Brother's could be the dock and the handheld.

I don't know why you even want it, though. It just means a vastly underpowered console, a vastly overpriced handheld, or both. I see nothing good about a hybrid. Nothing at all.

You don't need to tell me, I was just entertaining the idea. I'm not a believer in the one device for everything but the image of a portable connecting to a dock in order to extend its feature set brought forth memories of the Motorola Atrix.

Its cool yeah

Totally going to be two SKUs though

Exiting that market and pricepoint in favor of a hybrid seems way too risky

Peterc

I don't know why you even want it, though. It just means a vastly underpowered console, a vastly overpriced handheld, or both. I see nothing good about a hybrid. Nothing at all.

Hybrid not if it doesn't can compete with current gen. But if it could share the library as separately console/handheld. We would have a different story.

Neoxon

I'm up for an expensive handheld!
But would you be up for an expensive handheld with crappy battery life? Also, the OG 3DS's initial price tag would prove that most people wouldn't be okay with an expensive handheld, especially in an era of smartphones that can do everything.

MuchoMalo

Banned

So, Pascal talk was "wacky" due to information that nobody knew... Yep, not arrogant at all no sir.

I'm guess that this means Tegra X1 for the console, and that would definitely make "close to Xbone" a huge stretch, since that's closer to half as powerful. So... why not just say that it's significantly weaker? And if it turns out to be Pascal, I don't want her to say anything ever again because that's literally just the counterpart to Polaris and Vega.

But would you be up for an expensive handheld with crappy battery life. Also, the OG 3DS's initial price tag would prove that most people wouldn't be okay with an expensive handheld, especially in an era of smartphones that can do everything.

They could hit 199 with a very significantly powered machine

3DS hardware was moderate at best when it came out and was further taxed by its expensive and resource hungry 3d tech

Even going with basic Nvidia mass produced chips we are still looking at almost a double generational leap in graphics and performance above 3DS specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom