• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem responds to MGK diss track

highrider

Banned
Anyone who thinks somehow MGK is hurt by this, lol. Most circles the only people that are like yo, mgk is done are over 40. Rap devil is a better track, it just is. People think being lyrical is the end all be all, most people look at em and see this.

manfestival

Anyone who thinks somehow MGK is hurt by this, lol. Most circles the only people that are like yo, mgk is done are over 40. Rap devil is a better track, it just is. People think being lyrical is the end all be all, most people look at em and see this.

ah there you are... the MGK apologist. how does it feel? So MGK makes more of a banger track than a diss track and eminem makes more of a diss track than a banger track... realistically when it comes to this sorta thing then lyrics are going to win out. Let us not forget this classic gem Ludacris doing to Drake what Eminem did to MGK but with a little more of a trendy beat... seems like beat matters more than actual lyrical integrity to many people nowadays

-MD-

MGK is best known for giving Stipe Miocic a soundtrack to get knocked out to.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
ah there you are... the MGK apologist. how does it feel? So MGK makes more of a banger track than a diss track and eminem makes more of a diss track than a banger track... realistically when it comes to this sorta thing then lyrics are going to win out. Let us not forget this classic gem Ludacris doing to Drake what Eminem did to MGK but with a little more of a trendy beat... seems like beat matters more than actual lyrical integrity to many people nowadays

+1

Also, here's a pretty good breakdown of actual facts regarding the lopsided differences in quality on the tracks. Apart from that, the actual likes vs dislikes discrepancy towards the end of the video is kinda hilarious. Pretty clear cut & dry.

Fun facts after Killshot was released:

MGK deleted all his tweets/instagram stories complimenting his idol (em)
MGK caught deleting any top liked/commented negative instagram user comments
MGK has *bodyguards* beat up Em fan calling him a pussy
MGK gets booed at his opening act for Fall Out Boy concert, tricks fans into taking photo of them flipping the bird (he turned around during pic & took off sweatshirt without them knowing he was wearing a killshot shirt)

Not bad for 3 days :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Holy crap, I just listened for the first time.
MGK OK after that? Absolutely brutal.

My sentiments exactly. Em definently got in his head, as shown in above lol.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Muh Lyrics. Sorry I’m not an apologist nor do I dickride either of these guys. It’s a better track, MGK is a more advanced musician and producer than em. I wouldn’t debate a lyrical complexity contest, that’s em’s wheelhouse, but his angry battle rap is honestly comical to me now. The winner is both of them, and if you think this is actual legitimate beef, you’re not too bright.

octiny

Banned
MGK is a more advanced musician and producer than em.

giphy.gif

octiny

Banned
He plays instruments, pretty good piano man and decent guitarist. He’s also put out quality tracks without a major label or producer. Em really put down his production chops on Slaughterhouse.. 😂

Em plays the clarinet decent enough. But that's besides the point.

95% of MGK's shit is absolute ass nor has he produced anything relevant himself. He had 2 (or was it 1?) good songs back in 2012 & was never heard of again (even though he's been signed with Interscope for years) until Em brought him back into relevancy, for the time being at least. Anybody that uses autotune on half their songs is automatically disqualified from any discussion 😂

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
He plays instruments, pretty good piano man and decent guitarist. He’s also put out quality tracks without a major label or producer. Em really put down his production chops on Slaughterhouse.. 😂

it all comes down to lyrics tho, machine gun may jab em for being a dictionary hound, but that's not really an insult. words matter, and eminem has them in spades.

highrider

Banned
it all comes down to lyrics tho, machine gun may jab em for being a dictionary hound, but that's not really an insult. words matter, and eminem has them in spades.

It all comes down to lyrics, to you.

Octiny you are obviously a big fan of em, I’m not a particularly big fan of either guy tbh. Don’t see how you can call MGK music trash when looking at Em’s output over the last decade, but hey.

bitbydeath

It all comes down to lyrics, to you.

Octiny you are obviously a big fan of em, I’m not a particularly big fan of either guy tbh. Don’t see how you can call MGK music trash when looking at Em’s output over the last decade, but hey.

There’s really no comparison. Em said it best-

My biggest flops are your greatest hits

That’s how big the divide is. Fan or not Em made rap what it is today.

highrider

Banned
There’s really no comparison. Em said it best-

My biggest flops are your greatest hits

That’s how big the divide is. Fan or not Em made rap what it is today.

If this was 1995-2000, I would totally agree. This is why I think only old heads are still jocking Em, they don’t know how irrelevant he is now. My teenage son and his friends are who drives music now, and trust me they are not checking for Em on any level, and MGK is only a blip to them.

Super Mario

Banned
The winner here is MGK. Regardless how advanced you think your opinion here is superior because you look at the lyrics (man bun is poetry, I know), this boosted MGK more than it will Eminem. MGK got his name out there with a catchy track that is the closest anyone has ever gotten to ripping Eminem. Em also got a needed boost as well. Makes you think that it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that this was orchestrated for those reasons.

manfestival

The winner here is MGK. Regardless how advanced you think your opinion here is superior because you look at the lyrics (man bun is poetry, I know), this boosted MGK more than it will Eminem. MGK got his name out there with a catchy track that is the closest anyone has ever gotten to ripping Eminem. Em also got a needed boost as well. Makes you think that it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that this was orchestrated for those reasons.
Em boosted himself through this... lol... Did you even listen to Ems diss track? He talks exactly about what you are talking about.

Edit note: highrider I don't understand how you are so opposed to lyrics and so for catchy beats when these are diss tracks we are talking about. It is like you have never listened to a roast or watched rap battles. This type of reaction strikes me that you would only listen to catchy radio tunes and do not care about real rap. I could be wrong but that is the impression that I get. If beats matter more than lyrical value then we know where you stand and that MGK would obviously win to you since the most important factor here isn't a factor to you.

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MGK wins in terms of getting more exposure...but look at what he's doing with his new limelight.

He stages a picture with everyone flipping off Eminem only to have a ton of people in the crowd call him out that he tricked all of them into posing for that picture, and they boo'd him during his performance of Rap Devil.

The guy isn't taking his newfound exposure and doing something useful with it...he's showing everyone that's he's gutless.

That isn't the kind of "win" I'd want.

highrider

Banned
I’m no opposed to lyrics, they just aren’t the end all be all. It’s an element of music, not all of it. Delivery, cadence, how you ride the beat, and your ability to alter that from song to song is something. Em literally sounds exactly the same every time.

octiny

Banned
I’m no opposed to lyrics, they just aren’t the end all be all. It’s an element of music, not all of it. Delivery, cadence, how you ride the beat, and your ability to alter that from song to song is something. Em literally sounds exactly the same every time.

Okay, now you're just embarrassing yourself & clearly just a blatant hater. Rap Devil & monotone MGK in general is the exact opposite of you just said makes an supposedly makes a *great* rap artist.

Have you not heard killshot? Let alone, Kamikazee? Em has so many flow changes, cadences, beat & delivery changes it's utterly insane. You sound exactly like the some of "critiquers" he aimed for on the album & obliterated.

Yeah, we're done here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
you've never actually listen to Em have you?

I mean I could say it is my opinion that the sun is cold, I'd still be wrong though. Its all well and good to not like Em but claiming he sounds the same all the time is plain silly.

highrider

Banned
I mean I could say it is my opinion that the sun is cold, I'd still be wrong though. Its all well and good to not like Em but claiming he sounds the same all the time is plain silly.

Point me to the track where he varies his flow any differently than what he’s been doing for the last decade. I’ve listened to his entire catalog including Slaughterhouse and D12. Or for that matter uses a sound that is unique, or takes any risk with his production.

I know this is a parody, but it’s pretty accurate in terms of what Em does. He uses complicated word play and he does vary his delivery and cadence, it’s just that he’s done it exactly the same for a long time. This is what he sounds like to a lot of people, an angry guy with a thesaurus.

mekes

Sorry Highrider I disagree. In diss tracks the lyrics are all that counts. That’s the culture in rap and battling. You’re entitled to your view but the consensus is already out on that for countless years that you’re well in the small minority with your view. MGK made rap devil 6 months ago and just released it when the time was right. Em had a much shorter time to respond, he buried MGK but doesn’t have a catchy hook. MGK came well prepared with time on his side but still lost.

octiny

Banned
Except it's not really an opinion highrider when his whole Kamaize album disproves everything you just said. Because he literally used and mocked every flow, beat and delivery in hip-hop today. You just come off as a hater, using the opinion card as a crutch as an excuse to be ignorant. Not trying to be a dick, just calling the obvious.

You're in the minority, so why should we fetch tracks for you when it's pretty clear cut you haven't listened to Relapse, MMLP2 (Rick Rubin), let alone Kamikaze. Truth is, Eminem changes his style so much whether it's the flow, beats, cadance, delivery & accents every album that he's had a hard time keep everybody happy as every fan likes a different part of what he brings to the table. But hey, If you think all he sounds like is an angry guy with a thesaurus than yeah, the problem definently isn't with Em :messenger_smirking:.

Since I use to battle rap when I was younger, and listen to a lot of battles over the years I just had to jump in here. I don't have a pony in this race, and really don't care who wins. But just have to say that I feel this guy MGK barred Eminem up at the end, its really like some of his last verses that did it for me. whereas Eminem to me just sounds stale and like the same ol same ol. I also have always hated the dissing pop stars constantly boring. I feel like MGK supplied humor, punchlines and metas. Also that so called advanced rapping scheme of Eminems is annoying to me.. Its almost like being too good for your own good. when sometimes simplicty wins the day. I have never heard of MGK before and I fully expect in a few years to learn Eminem helped him with his diss track. The thing about the treadmill and 8Mile. I think Eminem wrote that. But just taken as is. I think MGK took this one

highrider

Banned
Since I use to battle rap when I was younger, and listen to a lot of battles over the years I just had to jump in here. I don't have a pony in this race, and really don't care who wins. But just have to say that I feel this guy MGK barred Eminem up at the end, its really like some of his last verses that did it for me. whereas Eminem to me just sounds stale and like the same ol same ol. I also have always hated the dissing pop stars constantly boring. I feel like MGK supplied humor, punchlines and metas. Also that so called advanced rapping scheme of Eminems is annoying to me.. Its almost like being too good for your own good. when sometimes simplicty wins the day. I have never heard of MGK before and I fully expect in a few years to learn Eminem helped him with his diss track. The thing about the treadmill and 8Mile. I think Eminem wrote that. But just taken as is. I think MGK took this one

That’s ok because Octiny will be here to point out your just a hater and your opinion is stepped in ignorance to the genius that is Em. His opinion is actually factual apparently 🤔😂 He’s not just some guy babbling on a message board.

Last edited:

Basoes

That’s ok because Octiny will be here to point out your just a hater and your opinion is stepped in ignorance to the genius that is Em. His opinion is actually factual apparently 🤔😂 He’s not just some guy babbling on a message board.
that's some pretty high praise to some random user on a forum, you must really respect him

octiny

Banned

Aww, no need to be butt hurt that the majority of people are disagreeing with you because you have no grounds to stand on with what you originally said :)

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
Em boosted himself through this... lol... Did you even listen to Ems diss track? He talks exactly about what you are talking about.

Edit note: highrider I don't understand how you are so opposed to lyrics and so for catchy beats when these are diss tracks we are talking about. It is like you have never listened to a roast or watched rap battles. This type of reaction strikes me that you would only listen to catchy radio tunes and do not care about real rap. I could be wrong but that is the impression that I get. If beats matter more than lyrical value then we know where you stand and that MGK would obviously win to you since the most important factor here isn't a factor to you.

I understand your point. Many times we think a well-thought out opinion on the internet speaks for the masses. Killshot is a big deal, but will go away soon. MGK won't ever be as popular as Eminem, but you can definitely hear rap devil being blasted at the moment. It's a victory for him.

Point me to the track where he varies his flow any differently than what he’s been doing for the last decade. I’ve listened to his entire catalog including Slaughterhouse and D12. Or for that matter uses a sound that is unique, or takes any risk with his production.

I know this is a parody, but it’s pretty accurate in terms of what Em does. He uses complicated word play and he does vary his delivery and cadence, it’s just that he’s done it exactly the same for a long time. This is what he sounds like to a lot of people, an angry guy with a thesaurus.

Dude Em change his flow so much that people are actively pissed at him for not rapping in their particular favourite style, like I said its all well and good to not like the guy but at least use reasons that have basis in reality for your dislike

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Is that a death threat / or a love letter

Son but you're a molehill / gonna make a mountain outta you (woo)

Stan, Stan, son, listen, man / dad isn't, mad, but / how, you, gonna, name yourself / after a damn gun / and have a man-bun

I've had enough of this tatted up mumble rapper / how the fuck can him and I battle / he'll have to fuck Kim in my flannel / I'll give him my sandals cuz he knows as long as I'm Shady / he's gonna have to live in my shadow

I'm sick of your blonde hair and ear-rings / just cuz you look in the mirror and think that you're Marshall Mathers / don't mean you are and you're not about it / so just leave my dick in your mouth and keep my daughter out' it

Top Bottom