• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Sulkowicz's (Columbia mattress girl) New Art Project is a Sex Tape- Jezebel link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

I specify that I am linking to a Jezebel link since an earlier thread attempt with a direct link to the website got the poster banned.
http://jezebel.com/emma-sulkowiczs-newest-art-project-is-a-disturbing-sex-1709234401

Artnet has confirmed that Emma Sulkowicz, the former Columbia University student known for “Mattress Performance (Carry That Weight),” is behind the website “Ceci N’est Pas Un Viol .” The site hosts an artist’s statement from Sulkowicz, who graduated from Columbia in May of this year, and a video she filmed with director Ted Lawson several months ago over the university’s winter break.

The eight-minute video features Sulkowicz and a man, his face blurred, engaging in what appears to be consensual sex that turns violent. The unidentified man open-palm slaps Sulkowicz, chokes her, removes the condom, then continues to have very rough sex with Sulkowicz, who whimpers and protests from pain. In the accompanying text, Sulkowicz warns that the video is not a recreation of the events in August 2012, a reference to the night Sulkowicz claims she was raped by fellow Columbia student, Paul Nungesser.

More here:
https://news.artnet.com/people/emma-sulkowicz-interview-305268

Valhelm

contribute something
There was a thread earlier that was deleted.

I'm not really sure what Sulkowicz is trying to accomplish with this. I guess it's a statement about slut-shaming and victim blaming? But I don't understand how this benefits her in any way.

In an interview with Artnet, Sulkowicz insisted this performance piece is not a companion piece to Carry That Weight. “They’re two separate performance art pieces,” Sulkowicz says, “but I’m trying to make them both as good as I can. And I think that with performance art, that’s part of what makes it good…making yourself vulnerable. But they are completely different pieces.”

wat

Africanus

I find this to be a very odd and detrimental project she is doing, perhaps resulting from the emotional trauma she suffered under her sexual assault.

There was a thread earlier that was deleted.

I'm not really sure what Sulkowicz is trying to accomplish with this. I guess it's a statement about slut-shaming and victim blaming? But I don't understand how this benefits her in any way.

Could just be her trying to visualize the situation for anyone seeing it. Drive the reality of rape home. Don't know if that makes her more an activist or a subject matter expert or...what.

That said, I haven't watched it (at work), so I'm ignorant on much of it.

SmokyDave

Saw this earlier and I have no idea what I'm supposed to make of it. Well, it's an interesting conversation starter at least. I can't tell if I'm supposed to watch it or not from the accompanying text.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean...sure? I guess? I get it, as an art piece.

I think this is kind of the key:
In the accompanying text, Sulkowicz warns that the video is not a recreation of the events in August 2012, a reference to the night Sulkowicz claims she was raped by fellow Columbia student, Paul Nungesser.
She's being upfront about this one: this isn't really about her specific sexual assault, its just about sexual assault.

marrec

Banned
Not sure what exactly to make of this.

Sulkowicz warns viewers in the accompanying text: “If you watch this video without my consent, then I hope you reflect on your reasons for objectifying me and participating in my rape, for, in that case, you were the one who couldn’t resist the urge to make Ceci N’est Pas Un Viol about what you wanted to make it about: rape.”

Some people like more violent sex. *shrug*

knkng

I hope you reflect on your reasons for objectifying me and participating in my rape
I'm trying to participate in your rape, but the damn video won't play!

But seriously, this is just absurd.

Cryxo93

Banned
Performance art has always been weird... Marina Abramovic though is legit. Love her work.

Marina-Abramovi&

Kuro

the fact that she's doing this makes me either doubt her allegations a little bit or believe them even more and she has been psychologically affected to the point she'd make something like this. Confusing all around for me.

the fact that she's doing this makes me either doubt her allegations a little bit or believe them even more and she has been psychologically affected to the point she'd make something like this. Confusing all around for me.

Do you like sex? I like sex. Do I like having sex with people I want to have sex with? I like having sex with people I want to have sex with. Do I like having sex with people I don't want to have sex with? I don't like having sex with people I don't want to have sex with.

How hard is that?

SmokyDave

Not sure what exactly to make of this.

When I read that excerpt this morning, I literally mouthed 'what the fuck are you talking about?'.

The title is bugging me too, for reasons I can't put my finger on. I mean, it's not a rape in the same way that it wasn't a pipe, but for some reason the playful 'you think you're looking at a pipe but it isn't a pipe!' just isn't there. Maybe that's on me though because I'm fucked if I can articulate why the wordplay ain't working for me.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yeah same, muddies the water even more.

Leaning towards artist values attention over anything else though, which undermines the seriousness of the allegations with how disputed they already were.

Astarte

Art can be really weird, like that one woman who put paint in her vagina and used it to paint in public. Yeah...

Kuro

Do you like sex? I like sex. Do I like having sex with people I want to have sex with? I like having sex with people I want to have sex with. Do I like having sex with people I don't want to have sex with? I don't like having sex with people I don't want to have sex with.

How hard is that?

Its just strange to hear a rape victim re-enact a rape situation even if its just for show.

Edit: I'm not victim-blaming or hugely doubting her accusations or anything. I'm just not sure if something like this is a healthy thing to do for the sake of art or making a statement. I'm not a psychologist though so if its helping her cope then more power to her.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
So she made a video recreation of her rape, but she can't claim it is or she'll be sued. I don't know what the point of it is then.

marrec

Banned
When I read that excerpt this morning, I literally mouthed 'what the fuck are you talking about?'.

The title is bugging me too, for reasons I can't put my finger on. I mean, it's not a rape in the same way that it wasn't a pipe, but for some reason the playful 'you think you're looking at a pipe but it isn't a pipe!' just isn't there. Maybe that's on me though because I'm fucked if I can articulate why the wordplay ain't working for me.

I mean, I guess you have to take in the video and comments in the video and disclaimers to form a cohesive message. I haven't watched the video though so I'm currently at a loss.

It could be that the real "art" is in the reactions of the viewer and she's setting people up for failure with the title and the disclaimers.

Bleepey

Another performance piece that made me say what the fuck:
"Ann Liv Young, "Michael" (Take On Me)"

Shit you'd make a reaction video out off.

HarryKS

I wanna know how much muscle she put on lugging that mattress around.

Or at least her bodyfat percentage. Before/After.

kirblar

She's being upfront about this one: this isn't really about her specific sexual assault, its just about sexual assault.
So a video very similar to what she alleges happened isn't about her specific alleged assault?

It's like saying that Carcetti is based off "a number of people".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom