• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Empire: Total War - Official Thread

Better late than never.

I grabbed Empire the 2nd or 3rd day after release; hells, I even updated my PC to run it a bit better.

Has anyone else had an issue with the battle menus flickering? If I change resolutions, it usually stops. It started happening after the 2nd last patch.

epmode

bonesmccoy said:
Has anyone else had an issue with the battle menus flickering?
The main menu has always flickered for me (and it gives me huge black borders around the sides). Other than that, no flickering.

bonesmccoy said:
I wonder what the problem is? I've never had that problem with any other TW game.
Do you use an Nvidia card?
I don't have a flashing menu but my Campaign map often flashes, the buildings and shadows jump all over the place. Been like it since day one. And since the last patch buildings textures flash crazily unless I play with the lowest texture settings. And this is with a GTX260. Also played up with a 9600GT too.

Nah, I'm running an ATI card (3800??). Oddly enough, when I was using a Nvidia card, I had no problems!

The problem only occurs during the battles - all the other menus/screens are beautiful.

Chairhome

The special forces edition of this game is now on sale on Bestbuy.com for $29.99. Saw this at CAG. Someone mentioned that some of the bonus stuff was missing in these copies, though. I am considering buying it, but by the time I have time to play it, I'm sure it'll drop in price :-(

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the multiplayer campaign beta that was released today via the Totalwar website.

edit:

Heres the link for people interested:
http://www.totalwar.com/empire/beta/index.php

Empire multiplayer campaign beta features:

Play on the entire Empire campaign map (All 3 theatres) against another player.
Fight against far improved AI nations, overhauled by update 1.5.
Work together or in competition to dominate the entire Empire campaign map.
Play via LAN or the Internet through Steam.
Engage in diplomacy with AI factions and another player.
Betray or cooperate with a friend or enemy, the choice is yours.
Fight real-time battles against the AI together, or have a friend take the AI's place in battle for the ultimate tactical challenge!

demolitio

SpinningFrog said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the multiplayer campaign beta that was released today via the Totalwar website.

The time to reinstall has come! 15 gigs over Steam is just torture though.

demolitio said:

I just copy my steam folder over to my External HDD, then whenever I want to play it again, I just copy it back over, takes a lot less time.

demolitio said:

Isnt that beta very limited tho? Not much point in reinstalling it if there's not much of a chance of actually getting into the beta.

Doytch

kyo_daikun said:
Isnt that beta very limited tho? Not much point in reinstalling it if there's not much of a chance of actually getting into the beta.
No, you just need an account with Sega. They email you the code to plug into Steam right away.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
How is the game these days? i'm thinking of getting it sometime in the future. But the reports of bugs and poor ai at launch have made skeptical of even getting it. Has the state of the game improved much since launch?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Lafiel said:
How is the game these days? i'm thinking of getting it sometime in the future. But the reports of bugs and poor ai at launch have made skeptical of even getting it. Has the state of the game improved much since launch?

I meant to ask this as well. I asked before and was told to hold off for some major patches. Have those come? Is modding back in force like previous TW games to balance and enhance the experience?

I now have a beefy PC and was thinking of either this or reinstalling Medieval 2. And what's Napoleon, just an addon?

AndyD said:
I meant to ask this as well. I asked before and was told to hold off for some amjor patches. Have those come? Is modding back in force like previous TW gaems to balance and enhance the experience?

I now have a beefy PC and was thinking of either this or reinstalling Medieval 2. And what's Napoleon, just an addon?

Yeah napoleon is an add on like alexander for rome and such.

Reno7728

'Tried' to play some just now. Got the game running, all worked well, couldn't find the chat button so had to use steam chat :lol and the turns seemed to take for ever, and it crashed after about 30mins :lol but the idea and basic system seems solid so should come together nicely if the issues can be smoothed out, especially as it is still a beta.

Off topic: as strategy GAF is most likely to be looking here: Is HoI3 worth a buy now, e.g are most of the bugs fixed and such, or is it better to keep sticking with other games for now?

Hmm missed this thread before. I just started playing ETW again after finishing up Dragon Age. So far I think I like Rome better. It's not really a fault of CA I don't think, melee fighting is just more interesting than a bunch of guys lining up and shooting at each other.

Still, I'm having quite a bit of fun with it. I just started off with a short campaign as the british, which might not have been the best idea since they're spread out over north america and it's pretty annoying having to fight on 3 fronts.

A really funny thing is where I had brought several stacks across the channel to attack the western parts of France and then just decided to attack Paris for lols. I ended up taking Paris with half of a stack since it ended up just being armed citizenry in there. I'm not sure where their armies were. This has led to a rather annoying circumstance where Paris is constantly being attacked. It's been hit by french rebels, the spanish, savoy, and who knows who else. I think the original half stack that took Paris weathered 11 or so attacks without any reinforcements. The attacks are pretty close to stopping and the 2 regiments left (one with 4 guys, the other with 29) have ranked up something like 10 times.

I'm pretty excited since I have some actual reinforcements being built in Paris and then I can take care of those Spanish bastards.

I'm also pretty close to getting the 13 colonies to join me, I just need to take New France. I think at that point North America will turn into a campaign against the United States who have an absolutely massive navy.

It appears that the surefire way to cure stability problems is still in place. I tried it out on Florida when it looked like they were going to rebel. You simply pull your entire garrison out of the city, wait for the rebellion, then move in and crush it. I think Florida went from around -2/-8 to 18/10

Well, my friend and I started a campaign and it went pretty smooth, only crashed once right at the end when he accidentally declared war on me. He went Sweden and I went Prussia and were double teaming Russia and Poland, sharing tech and military access and such.

Quite fun with another person. It lets you save and even has an auto save feature so even if it does crash you can load up the game where it last saved and start from there.

19Kilo

Update 1.6 is out.

"The Creative Assembly Completely Overhauls Battle A.I. With New Empire Update

SAN FRANCISCO (31th March, 2010) – SEGA® of America, Inc., is pleased to announce that “Update 1.6” for the award winning Empire: Total War will be available today. The update introduces a large number of revisions to the Artificial Intelligence in real time battles. Amongst many other improvements, the Battle A.I. now maintains its lines more rigorously, has better army movement and engages in melee more tactically. It is also better at protecting its own advance and engaging opponents with flanking attacks. This update will be automatically downloaded and installed when users log on to Steam™ with their copy of Empire: Total War."

Hmm, I need to get back to this game.

So Steam also says the latest update is 1.6, but in game it states that my game is currently on 1.5, what's the dealio? Do I need to go out and find this patch somewhere?

19Kilo said:
Update 1.6 is out.

"The Creative Assembly Completely Overhauls Battle A.I. With New Empire Update

SAN FRANCISCO (31th March, 2010) – SEGA® of America, Inc., is pleased to announce that “Update 1.6” for the award winning Empire: Total War will be available today. The update introduces a large number of revisions to the Artificial Intelligence in real time battles. Amongst many other improvements, the Battle A.I. now maintains its lines more rigorously, has better army movement and engages in melee more tactically. It is also better at protecting its own advance and engaging opponents with flanking attacks. This update will be automatically downloaded and installed when users log on to Steam™ with their copy of Empire: Total War."

Sounds good. Now they just need to fix the loading times.

Nalsh

So I just picked up this game in the Steam Summer Sale, as I'm sure others did.

My question is: Once I finish the Road to Independence, what order should I play the Grand Campaign? I was thinking easiest to hardest or chronologically, but is there a best way to approach it?

Top Bottom