• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Consoles: PS3 vs Wii vs Original Xbox ?

So I've finally gotten tired of having 6 different retro system needing to be hooked up to play different games so I wanted to make the switch to having one central console for emulation to clean up some of my clutter.

I don't want to use a PC I'll be hooking them up to a CTR and the main appeal is the ease that the consoles with emulators provide.
I have tired. The results have always been disappointing for one reason or another.

Here's what I want:
Accurate NES/SNES/Genesis emulation, and the ability to use the original controller. I know N64/PS1/Saturn aren't reliable, so I'm not even concerned about them.
That's really it, I just want it to function easily and accurately.

I've been doing some research and here are the conclusions I've come to for each system:

PS3:
I'd can't find to much information on compatibility. The homebrew emulation scene doesn't seem very big, but it does have RetroArch. The possible appealing things about PS3 is that it seems like I could also play PS1 (And PS2 games?) directly off the HDD with CWF as long as I have a model that supports BC. Can anyone confirm this?

Wii:
Also has RetroArch. I just don't know if it's better or not. I've seen people says PS3 is more accurate and such, but without any context or examples.
And supports 240p for NES games.

Xbox:
I've seen the most recommendations for this,, but never really a reason why other then "It has the most emulators". It seems nice that it has multiple emulations for each system which is cool because it increases compatibility if there's a game that doesn't work but it doesn't support 240p. I used to have one a while ago and I remember it being super simple to use.

Anyone have any insight?

Lynd7

I'd say the Wii would be what you'd want. I haven't used Wii's Retroarch, but the individual emulators I have on mine are really good.

Orayn

Using an adapter that lets you use NES/SNES/Genesis controllers on the system. I know the Wii and Xbox both have an adapter that let you do that. I'm not sure about PS3.

If those adapters turn the controller into a generic HID device, they should work on PS3.

I still think you're making a huge mistake by ruling out PC, especially if accuracy is a major priority.

Harlock

I think is more easy just to get a small box running Retropie than keep big hardware that you have to hack to get limited emulation. This remind me 10/12 years ago, before anything played dix, burning vcds to watch on PS2 with modchip.

jediyoshi

I can't imagine the emulator scene on PS3/Xbox is anywhere close to the Wii's. I'd chose it on just having the smallest box alone.

Why not just use a PC and hook that up to your CRT?

Simplicity is the main thing. I want to be able to just jump right in quickly. I have invested a lot of time with emulation PCs with frontends always ending with headaches and issues. I just want to be able sit down and play. Also navigation with a console with a controller is super easy. I don't want to mess with keyboards and mice.

If you don't want a pc, get a raspberry pi, a big micro SD card, and a USB controller for the system of your choice. Cheaper than the other systems, super small footprint, and easy to install emulators.

But if you had to choose from the 3, a Wii. Easy to find for cheap and get homebrew running. With ps3 you'll need to find a specific model and for og xbox, you'll eventually will have to replace the power supply as they are known to fail.

Source: I own all 4 and have done it to all of them. Keep it simple with the pi.

I don't want to use a PC I'll be hooking them up to a CTR and the main appeal is the ease that the consoles with emulators provide.
The only console that's going to be any easier is the Wii. PS3's a hot mess - you're going to have to track one down on the correct firmware, which is going to cost a fair amount (especially if you want PS2 disc compatibility). Xbox is outdated and also probably going to be a bit too much effort.

Out of these, Wii is the best option due to the fact that you can get them cheap and they're easy as hell to hack, though I can't vouch for emulation accuracy. Keep in mind it's going to be held back pretty heavily by its hardware in that respect (not sure how easy VC injection is these days for it). Back when I used it, it was still a bit on the buggy side even for stuff like SNES, but keep in mind that was about 4 years ago and pre-Retroarch.

I really think you shouldn't discount a PC - wider range of options for controllers, every bit as simple in the long run (Retroarch especially has made this pretty easy), far greater accuracy - but you do you. To be fair I've got no idea if it would be easy/worthwhile to try to get a modern PC going on a CRT anyways. I feel like there would probably be some interface issues due to low resolution.

The only console that's going to be any easier is the Wii. PS3's a hot mess - you're going to have to track one down on the correct firmware, which is going to cost a fair amount (especially if you want PS2 disc compatibility). Xbox is outdated and also probably going to be a bit too much effort.

Out of these, Wii is the best option due to the fact that you can get them cheap and they're easy as hell to hack, though I can't vouch for emulation accuracy. Keep in mind it's going to be held back pretty heavily by its hardware in that respect (not sure how easy VC injection is these days for it). Back when I used it, it was still a bit on the buggy side even for stuff like SNES, but keep in mind that was about 4 years ago and pre-Retroarch.

I really think you shouldn't discount a PC - wider range of options for controllers, every bit as simple in the long run (Retroarch especially has made this pretty easy), far greater accuracy - but you do you. To be fair I've got no idea if it would be easy/worthwhile to try to get a modern PC going on a CRT anyways. I feel like there would probably be some interface issues due to low resolution.
i cant even imagine how you get a pc to work on a crt tv, you probably need some external device to connect the two, which probably more expensive than buying a used wii

DJKhaled

It's 100% the Wii, out of ease of use to the amount of emulators and homebrew, there is no contest. The PS3 scene is shit tier and the Wii overtook the Xbox scene a while ago.

EDIT: A Wii U is ideal since it does everything a Wii does (including gamecube) but also can play Wii U games.

Raspberry Pi does what you are looking for better than consoles.

Xbox hardware is trash in comparison to Wii/PS3. You miss nothing going with a newer choice.

Wii is probably best CONSOLE as its near Pi in cost, and gets you Gamecube & Wii, in addition to what you would on Pi.

PS3 would be viable if you can actually load CEX/DEX firmware. You would be getting PS2 & PS3 in addition to your classics. (and PS1 but you get that choice with Wii/Pi).

Dark Horse choice might be Wii U. Gets you basically what a Wii does minus native gamecube ports but plus the wonderful Wii U library.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've tried this before. The Wii is the easiest to hack, and easiest to find some controller adapters for it. And the interface is pretty easy to use.

Wii U might actually be another option, I believe you can hack the vWii console, and it still supports 240p.

I've set up a PC with Hyperspin before, it's super flashy but a lot of work to set up and I was always struggling with USB controllers changing positions.

I actually still have a CFW PS3 on the shelf but I haven't played with it in a year or two. Despite my intentions I never really did a lot of emulation with it, the Wii was just easier to do it on.

I'm actually considering moving the other way. Getting a retro AVS and an everdrive, so I can play real games and ROMs. I'd really be happy 99% of the time with just a NES and a SNES.

The Retron 5 is an option too if you're using real carts.

MRORANGE

Here's what I want:
Accurate NES/SNES/Genesis emulation, and the ability to use the original controller. I know N64/PS1/Saturn aren't reliable, so I'm not even concerned about them.
That's really it, I just want it to function easily and accurately.

I've been doing some research and here are the conclusions I've come to for each system:

Get a Raspberry Pi and run RetroPie, it uses RetroArch and can be used with CRT's with composite signal. It's the best emulator experience I've ever had. Cheaper than a PS3 or even a Wii.

little_pi.png

Heck I even built an arcade machine for all those games because it works so damn well.

Salty Hippo

If you want QUICKNESS I'd recommend a PSP, although Snes is a bit iffy and N64 and up is out of the question. But then again it also is on those other consoles. PSP is great for sleeping on and off of games and you also get portability. Maybe Snes will become perfect on the Vita soon.

Really depends on what platforms you want to emulate. PC will always be only way to cover everything.

http://retrorgb.com/gtron.html
This is the controller adapter I use with my Wii for playing classic games with the proper controller

That adapter is baller, but in my opinion the better choice might be a couple of 8bitdo controllers. SNES30, NES30, and NES30 Pro are all phenomenal choices, and will sync wirelessly with the Wii (or Pi if he goes that direction).

N64 is the main selling point of that adapter seeing as 6 button genesis controllers don't function (R.I.P. Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat).

There are good Sega licensed Saturn USB pads in existence. There are also great/cheap USB SNES controllers from iBuffalo that are near 8bitdo in quality without the wireless perk.

G0523

The Wii is definitely your best bet. It's the easiest to use and access, it can play almost any NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA games with relative ease, you can use a wide selection of controllers, and if you just so happen to get an itch to play certain NeoGeo or N64 games, the Wii Shop Channel is still available. It's clearly the best console to use for retro games.

inner-G

Banned
I love my Wii for emulation

Use controller adapters for NES/SNES controllers, and the component out looks good on both my HDTV and my CRT.

The Wii is definitely your best bet. It's the easiest to use and access, it can play almost any NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA games with relative ease, you can use a wide selection of controllers, and if you just so happen to get an itch to play certain NeoGeo or N64 games, the Wii Shop Channel is still available. It's clearly the best console to use for retro games.

when i tried gba games on the wii, the sound will be off by a second

theclaw135

Banned
I'd imagine PS3 has great potential. But I don't know about the scene to say what's been emulated well.

Wii is the only easy choice if you insist on a CRT SDTV. Anything without 240p output won't quite look *right* for traditional 2D games.

Go for a Wii. Easiest to use, higher compatibility with SNES in terms of speed, N64 Virtual Console covers that better than any emulator on all three and you have so many controller and storage options.

baberunisei

I Think setting up a Raspberry Pi or a PC with Retroarch to do what you want is way easier than hacking and setting up any console, even the Wii.

I'd imagine PS3 has great potential. But I don't know about the scene to say what's been emulated well.

Wii is the only easy choice if you insist on a CRT SDTV. Anything without 240p output won't quite look *right* for traditional 2D games.

Latest RetroArch is ported near feature complete for PS3 so you basically have all the libretro cores depending on performance. You don't really gain any specific systems over the Wii other than PS2 (and obviously PS3). Just as easy to get 240p out of it too.

The trouble is getting a PS3 with compatible firmware to modify to CEX/DEX as it requires a firmware 3.55 and below.

Wii (and Wii U) are currently exploitable to get RetroArch loaded with their current firmwares, and Wii's firmware is clearly being done updated so it's basically open forever. Wii U hasn't been updated in months and also appears to be done with updates.

I Think setting up a Raspberry Pi or a PC with Retroarch to do what you want is way easier than hacking and setting up any console, even the Wii.

Agreed for the most part, but with the requirement of going to a CRT, the analog video options are a little easier in the Wii. Converting HDMI to a US standard analog signal (likely s-video) is a bit of a pain. That said, going with an older video card that supports s-video breakout might be the way forward too.

This thread reminds me that I need to look into the Raspberry Pie + RetroPie.

I'd just want this for NES/SNES/GBA emulation. I'm behind and this is new to me. I guess I need to start searching.

This thread reminds me that I need to look into the Raspberry Pie + RetroPie.

I'd just want this for NES/SNES/GBA emulation. I'm behind and this is new to me. I guess I need to start searching.

Nothing to search bro.

Step 1) Buy Raspberry Pi of choice (B+, 2, 3, or Zero)
Step 2) Load RetroPie per instructions
Step 3) Hook-up input device of choice
Step 4) ???
Step 5) Profit.

Edit: Still check out that wonderful thread MRORANGE posted.

Izuna

Banned
Simplicity is the main thing. I want to be able to just jump right in quickly. I have invested a lot of time with emulation PCs with frontends always ending with headaches and issues. I just want to be able sit down and play. Also navigation with a console with a controller is super easy. I don't want to mess with keyboards and mice.

You're gunna have a much harder time setting up your jailbroken consoles and ftps and shit than if you would just get a dedicated small machine for emulation. Hell, a Raspberry Pi could do what I assume is 8 to 16-bit emulation.

You're gunna have a much harder time setting up your jailbroken consoles and ftps and shit than if you would just get a dedicated small machine for emulation. Hell, a Raspberry Pi could do what I assume is 8 to 16-bit emulation.

I've modded a lot of original xboxs, I dont think it's that hard. I found setting up a raspberry pi more of a pain.

MRORANGE

Agreed for the most part, but with the requirement of going to a CRT, the analog video options are a little easier in the Wii. Converting HDMI to a US standard analog signal (likely s-video) is a bit of a pain. That said, going with an older video card that supports s-video breakout might be the way forward too.

Raspberry PI has composite though:

QTkwY.jpg

DJKhaled

If you want QUICKNESS I'd recommend a PSP, although Snes is a bit iffy and N64 and up is out of the question. But then again it also is on those other consoles. PSP is great for sleeping on and off of games and you also get portability. Maybe Snes will become perfect on the Vita soon.

Really depends on what platforms you want to emulate. PC will always be only way to cover everything.

I'm sorry but that's a horrible suggestion, the PSP has a shitty emulator for N64 which the Wii can actually play natively with some games, not only that but he wants something he can plug into his TV and just use, that's a big annoying having to have a long ass wire from the TV to your PSP vs wireless controls for the Wii/PS3

Raspberry PI was made for HDMI. I have a feeling a lot of the front-ends for the emulators wont scale well when transitioning to a lower resolution?

It handles lower resolutions well. Consider how many build handhelds with it. And it's highly customization to where you can find what works for you, if for some reason the default emulationstation isn't to your liking.

MRORANGE

Raspberry PI was made for HDMI. I have a feeling a lot of the front-ends for the emulators wont scale well when transitioning to a lower resolution?

It will work fine, people have been shoving raspberry pi's into old crt's and arcade cabinet's with fantastic results.

I think the Wii might provide what you want, or a WiiU that can run the same homebrew applications as the Wii pretty much.

That said I still think finding some solution with a HTPC and adapter to go composite/component to a CRT might be the better solution to be able to have great compatibility, customization, and choice between games/systems and controllers.

The only reasons I would want to raise some concern with using a Wii for games emulation is that controller setup and compatibility can occasionally be a pain and so can management of the emulator settings as well.

Also you will be limited on the range of generations of games you will be able to emulate, where on Wii you may easily emulate SNES, NES, and Genesis games, and limited compatibility and performance for N64 titles, you will be able to do the same and better on a HTPC by going from consoles anywhere from NES generation all the way up to PS2 generation with consoles from all manufacturers in between (except Xbox games).

With a PC these issues are generally easier to manage in my personal experience.

I don't have experience with emulation on PS3 or 360 so I can't speak on that at all really.

An Xbox emulation system might be a good idea, since you get the Xbox games compatibility, and I think PS1 and SNES/Genesis stuff too.

I only know how to homebrew a Wii/WiiU though, well not anymore since I only did it once for each, but yea can't help on the specifics of an emulation machine using other consoles.

RowdyReverb

That adapter is baller, but in my opinion the better choice might be a couple of 8bitdo controllers. SNES30, NES30, and NES30 Pro are all phenomenal choices, and will sync wirelessly with the Wii (or Pi if he goes that direction).

N64 is the main selling point of that adapter seeing as 6 button genesis controllers don't function (R.I.P. Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat).

There are good Sega licensed Saturn USB pads in existence. There are also great/cheap USB SNES controllers from iBuffalo that are near 8bitdo in quality without the wireless perk.
I actually only ever used it with NES and SNES pads, so I never noticed the issues they talked about there. Those wireless pads look nice, but there's just something about using the same controller I played with as a kid

Top Bottom