• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

bomblord1

Banned
2017 Emulator Screenshot Thread!

This thread is for people to show how amazing older games can look with just a few tweaks and some higher resolutions. I absolutely love seeing emulator screenshots and wanted to share that with gaf :). Post your best shots!

Thread rules below

1. Emulators for last gen and earlier games only. They also must be running in some form of emulation software. No PC ports/remasters/remakes etc.
2. No shopped shots. The images should reflect what a player can see while running the game. HD textures, ENB, reshade, etc are all fine but adding anything to the shot after it was taken is forbidden.
3. Include the game's name, system, and preferably emulator and settings in your post's subject header or within the post in some capacity
4. Critical analysis is welcome, telling someone the shot is awful is not.
5. Limit of 3 images per post doesn't matter if they are from different games the same game or running on different platforms. Only 3.
6. No double posting.

Emulators

Here are the tools of the trade. I've done my best to only link to the *best* emulator for the respective platform but this may come down to preference in some cases. There are a few left out as I am not familiar with ALL emulators out there but most most major platforms are here.
WiiU Emulation
Wii and Gamecube Emulation
PS2 Emulation
PSX Emulation
N64 Emulation
SNES Emulation

PSP Emulation
DS Emulation
GBA Emulation

Featured Shots

I will update this from time to time congrats to all that were chosen :).

How I choose featured shots
1. They had to follow the rules (no shots without listed settings etc).
2. I only chose 3 as the thread rules are 3 per post.
3. I did not put more than 1 shot from the same platform or game. I want the op to reflect the diversity of the systems and games present in this thread it would be boring to see all SMG shots or all Wii shots.
4. No more than 1 shot from the same user
5. I won't be posting my own shots in the OP.

Omega
Platform: GameCube
Game: Metroid Prime
Settings: Dolphin Ishiiruka build, 4x IR, FXAA, Widescreen hack, per-pixel lighting. Ishiiruka settings MATSDOF, Tone mapping color correction, Pixel vibrance. Reshade Settings, Lens Dirt, Bloom

irHFilT.png

Wootkins
Platform: Wii
Game: Sonic and the Secret Rings
Settings: 1080p, 4xSSAA, SSAO, DOF

ySsybne.png

Bayonetta
Platform: PSP
Game: Nayuta Endless Trails
Settings: PPSSPP Internal Resolution: 4800 x 2720, Window Size: 1920 x 1080, Post Processing: FXAA Anti Aliasing, Texture Filtering: Auto, Screen Scaling: Linear, Render Mode: Buffered Rendering, Texture Scaling: x5, Upscale Type: Hybrid + Bicubic, Anisotropic Filter: x16

f74d15a84c.jpg

Hosting
I recommend abload.de as it's free and does not compress your shots.

mcmmaster

Neat idea, got a bunch of great emulator shots on my computer.

PCSX2 (PS2) Final Fantasy X, 6x Native Scaling (3072x2688), Shade Boost 70, 55, 60, Widescreen Patched

ibnaqfb60kowhu_by_mcmemie-d8vgq3q.png

PCSX2 (PS2) Kingdom Hearts 2, 6x Native Scaling (3072x2688) Shade Boost 70, 55, 60, Widescreen Patched

ibiwbjq2wc3mwv_by_mcmemie-d8vgq4a.png

Dolphin (Wii) No More Heroes 2, 4x Native Scaling (2560x2112)

iegr7l2psag7y_by_mcmemie-d8vgq3b.png

v0yce

These are nice.

I should really get a gaming PC to run this stuff. It would be a nice nudge to play through some of my backlog. (and play groovy PC games)

petran79

Banned
Last Blade 2
Neo Geo CD version

Emulator:Raine 0.64 with OpenGL filter
Platform: Ubuntu 14.04 with latest Nvidia drivers
Full screen capture didnt work so I used windowed mode.

Emulation program has some minor issues but games are very playable and the CD music is awesome, compared to the arcade version

lb28cscg.jpg

FFXII looks incredible like that. I went back and played it on a PS2 and...the graphics look terrible but only because the engine just couldnt handle it. The assets looked great, so NPC faces looked high detail when you were super close to them popped into very low detail at anything other than point blank range (presumably because they hit memory limits)

They had some great art design there so its a shame that most people will never get to appreciate it to its full potential.

Also reminds me I need to play both last story and xenoblade, picked them up day one but played other games on other systems and never got round to hooking up the wii and playing those.

bomblord1

Banned
Last Blade 2
Neo Geo CD version

Emulator:Raine 0.64 with OpenGL filter
Platform: Ubuntu 14.04 with latest Nvidia drivers
Full screen capture didnt work so I used windowed mode.

Emulation program has some minor issues but games are very playable and the CD music is awesome, compared to the arcade version

lb28cscg.jpg

That's in interesting grid filter is it engaged by default or do you turn it on?

PsionBolt

We had a nice thread a while back about a fork of DeSmuME (a DS emulator) with support for HD rendering. Here are a few shots I took back then: comparisons of native res and 3x res.

Tales of Innocence
G7hljjg.png

Mega Man Star Force 3
fYacVgP.png

The Idolmaster: Dearly Stars
729WlHa.png

I highly recommend checking out the thread - I posted several more comparison shots there, and several others posted shots in 4x res (which I couldn't take at the time).

bomblord1

Banned
We had a nice thread a while back about a fork of DeSmuME (a DS emulator) with support for HD rendering. Here are a few shots I took back then: comparisons of native res and 3x res.

I highly recommend checking out the thread - I posted several more comparison shots there, and several others posted shots in 4x res (which I couldn't take at the time).

That's amazing it's incredibly how well some of those DS games blow up. Who would have guessed they put so much detail into a little 240p picture

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Can someone put up some Evil Zone(PS1) or Legend of Dragoon(PS1) shots? Even a simple boost to resolution would make those games look great.

Its hard to believe DS games like the idolmaster game look like that when boosted up. You can't even see the model in the original screen

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
FF12 has so much extra detail you don't see in the original.

Darkangel

Nice ones it doesn't look too bad considering it's PS1. What is dot matrix though? Is it the reasons it looks to have a comic bookish dots on the screen.

Ya it's a special type of scanline filter that you can enable in PCSXr. Silent Hill on original hardware makes use of a dithering effect that is lost when emulating in HD. I find the dot matrix filter combined with no texture filtering helps restore the "gritty" look.

bomblord1

Banned
Ya it's a special type of scanline filter that you can enable in PCSXr. Silent Hill on original hardware makes use of a dithering effect that is lost when emulating in HD. I find the dot matrix filter combined with no texture filtering helps restore the "gritty" look.

Hmm it's an interesting effect.

petran79

Banned
That's in interesting grid filter is it engaged by default or do you turn it on?

it is enabled by default if you choose Opengl as output. Other options apply normal blitter.
This on Ubuntu

On Windows setting Opengl produces different effect
Forgot to add that emulator supports also blending effects for some games

Great idea for a thread.

Someone please post the obligatory Metroid Prime pictures so we can all marvel at how great it holds up to this day.

Some screens I found in my old fraps folder. Not too fond of emulators tho, some games look awful in hi-res, there are too many random glitches and different unforeseen graphical bugs on case by case basis', like when you really want to revisit some old forgotten rpg and then be greeted by this and lose all appetite to play games

PCSX 2 / custom res / Arc the Lad end of darkness

pcsx2-r53502014-08-02cqukl.png

I've encountered most problems in PCSX2

ePSXe / 1440p / Crash

epsxe2014-01-2122-25-7rutp.png

ppsspp / 1440p / power stone

ppssppwindows642014-08su8g.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Neat idea, got a bunch of great emulator shots on my computer.

PCSX2 (PS2) Final Fantasy X, 6x Native Scaling (3072x2688), Shade Boost 70, 55, 60, Widescreen Patched

ibnaqfB60kowhu.png

PCSX2 (PS2) Kingdom Hearts 2, 6x Native Scaling (3072x2688) Shade Boost 70, 55, 60, Widescreen Patched

ibiWBJq2Wc3mwV.png

Dolphin (Wii) No More Heroes 2, 4x Native Scaling (2560x2112)

iegr7l2psAG7Y.png

These look cleaner than the 1080p native PS3 remasters.

and the FF12 pic in OP .

hngggggggggggggggggggg :(

warheat

Probably not relevant, but anyone know if it's possible to downsample with ePSXe without using any external program? I was trying to take few screenshot but my laptop is 720p.

Falk

that puzzling face

That looks painful.

Funny isn't it, lets see how the FFX Remaster will look on PS4 :p
I'll bet on it PCSX2 will still look better.

No AA on PS3 remasters is basically a death sentence vs. PCSX2 shots in direct comparisons even if everything else is touched up.

edit:
You mean the clipping?

Yes :V

Shiina

An old Xenoblade pic of mine. I forgot the settings but it should be x4 native res with not much else (no HD textures either). I've since gotten some new hardware and a new monitor so I should take some new pictures some time soon or even replay the game.

Fbh

Damn, I wish my Laptop could run the Wii Emulator.
Oh well, I'm thinking about building a gaming PC this year so I'll soon be able to.

Anyway.
I have a few from Crisis Core:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII PPSSPP. Don't really remember the setting.

EtR47U2.jpg

EUtqI6f.jpg

Runs great with some minimal audio issues here and there. Really goes to show how simply increasing the resolution on handheld games can make them look quite a lot better

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Square Enix develops beautiful games on all systems: The thread.

They put in a lot of attention to detail.

I remember the first time I saw someone posting clean PCSX2 FF12 screens, i noticed that they gave the wolves visible assholes, you cannot see them because of the PS2's paltry resolution, but you clean it up, you can see visible assholes on the butts of those wolves.

They put in a lot of attention to detail.

I remember the first time I saw someone posting clean PCSX2 FF12 screens, i noticed that they gave the wolves visible assholes, you cannot see them because of the PS2's paltry resolution, but you clean it up, you can see visible assholes on the butts of those wolves.

Lol, dat attention to detail :p.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

and the FF12 pic in OP .

hngggggggggggggggggggg :(

These are being rendered at damn near 4k plus AA. With just 1080p and no AA, even though its a huge improvement from the originals(honestly even 720p no AA still looks good on those old games), still gonna be far inferior.

I wanna see how KH collection and FFX/X2 look on PS4. Hopefully they bother with putting in the effort

bomblord1

Banned
Damn, I wish my Laptop could run the Wii Emulator.
Oh well, I'm thinking about building a gaming PC this year so I'll soon be able to.

Anyway.
I have a few from Crisis Core:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII PPSSPP. Don't really remember the setting.

EtR47U2.jpg

EUtqI6f.jpg

Runs great with some minimal audio issues here and there. Really goes to show how simply increasing the resolution on handheld games can make them look quite a lot better

That's pretty impressive goes to show what the PSP could do.

Well, I posted these back in a Type-0 thread to compare to the HD remaster, so I'll post them here too =P, specially since I can't normally crank the settings so high, and I don't like taking screenshots that much.

Settings: ppsspp / FXAA, 8x rendering resolution, 3x Texture Scaling (Hybrid + Bicubic with Deposterize on), and Anisotropic Filtering 16x / Final Fantasy Type-0

Yarbskoo

Here's a few I've posted in the High Res PC Screenshot thread:

Xenoblade Chronicles - Dolphin (Wii) - Downsampled from 3840 x 2160
16152031066_241f6b913a_o.png

15879620512_59a2af14b2_o.png

15816312215_53e953502b_o.png

Top Bottom