• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EmuVR Beta - The best experience I've ever had emulating games.

Iaterain

Just as I remembered, TV, retro games and these gamepads.
2_345710-1056x641.jpg

Last edited:
This is another interesting experiment which will ultimately result in what I think VR is going to be in the next ten years, hardware without a physical display where you put on a headset (probably shrunk down to a small visor by then) and you're suddenly immersed in a setting of your choosing whether it means being in a digital room with a CRT television or sitting at a workstation with multiple high resolution monitors.

Alucardx23

RTX on:

Now seriously, that is an uncomfortable way of playing the classics. Just pick a tv, you can find very good sets for free.

Not uncomfortable at all for me. The cool thing about this is how you can make your room look like it used to back in the 90, besides the convenience of having all of your consoles and games easily accessible. I bet that as the old consoles stop working, this will be how most people will be able to have the experience of handling old consoles. This will also be a social experience where you can invite friends to play in your room.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
This is cool, because it could add an extra layer to the games being played. I can imagine some very creepy distractions in the background while you are playing RE2..

Ovek

7Member7
Sooo I’m supposed to strap a VR headset on (and everything else that entails) to simulate an old 14” crt? Yeah..... no. And didn’t a virtual arcade “simulator” all be it equally as pointless already do this?

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Sooo I’m supposed to strap a VR headset on (and everything else that entails) to simulate an old 14” crt? Yeah..... no. And didn’t a virtual arcade “simulator” all be it equally as pointless already do this?

Yes and that is the cool part about it. You don't just emulate the games, but also how you interacted with the consoles, as well as the environment these type of games used to be played on. If you haven't tried VR, it will be difficult to explain how strong is the feeling of being there.

Alx

That's cool and all, but I'm not sure there's a real demand for that. Sure, "nostalgia", but I don't think what we miss from older games is the feeling of putting your disc in the console or blowing in a cart. You'll probably get a better feeling of the original experience with a regular emulator and physical controllers with vintage design.

This is the straight out of the novel of Ready Player One and only 7 years after the book was published.

This wasn't in the movie I don't think, but the characters have a virtual 80s era basement in which they like to play retro games on a virtual old TV.

Toe-Knee

In my case interacting naturally with a ps1 I would have to prop it up sideways against the TV to get it to read discs.

Very cool though I love things like this.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to have PC VR fun but my PC or monitor doesn't seem to like the programs used to get the PSVR headset working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

dan76

Flynn's arcade from Tron would be a good fit for this. I'd be well up for recreating some of the old arcades I went to in the 80's.

Last edited:
It's hardly pointless. It would be really cool if it had multiplayer support since you could then hang out together with friends in a 90s room and play retro games.

Wonko_C

You're probably thinking about New Retro Arcade: Neon. That's actually a product sold for money on Steam so there is demand for these kinds of stuff.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug as they say, this allows to send you back in time when you were younger and had an 80's room/arcade, it's not just about playing retro games. It's about recapturing the whole atmosphere.

You're probably thinking about New Retro Arcade: Neon. That's actually a product sold for money on Steam so there is demand for these kinds of stuff.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug as they say, this allows to send you back in time when you were younger and had an 80's room/arcade, it's not just about playing retro games. It's about recapturing the whole atmosphere.
New Retro Arcade Neon is amazing. The atmosphere is captured so well and all of the displays have actual perceived RGB pixels so you can lean in and see every pixel color arrangement.

Wonko_C

New Retro Arcade Neon is amazing. The atmosphere is captured so well and all of the displays have actual perceived RGB pixels so you can lean in and see every pixel color arrangement.

And I want to try it and emuVR but I only have PSVR. I know PSVR can be used on PC and I tried it a bit, but looking around was laggy and instantly felt sick. Not to mention my PC is a 10-year old core 2 quad cpu with a GTX 1050Ti so not exactly suited for VR.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is pretty chill, but I have no interest in using VR for this. I will just stick with a Sony PVM monitor playing my favorite old games on their original hardware. Still a fantastic idea to give the younger generation an idea of what it was like to play these games.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This is pretty chill, but I have no interest in using VR for this. I will just stick with a Sony PVM monitor playing my favorite old games on their original hardware. Still a fantastic idea to give the younger generation an idea of what it was like to play these games.
Braggart! :messenger_winking_tongue:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I've got that, it's fucking amazing. Seriously.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Cross posting from the PC VR thread. This just got the best update ever. I e-mailed them for beta access, hopefully I get in soon because I've been trying (and failing, New Retro Arcade: Neon is obtuse with little focus on this feature) to find ways to play old lightgun games in this manner for ages.
Oh fuck, finally someone developing emulation features I've been wanting since day 1 of VR!

Last edited:

MetalSlug

Cross posting from the PC VR thread. This just got the best update ever. I e-mailed them for beta access, hopefully I get in soon because I've been trying (and failing, New Retro Arcade: Neon is obtuse with little focus on this feature) to find ways to play old lightgun games in this manner for ages.

I tried to get access to it over a year ago. Still don't have it :messenger_sad_relieved:

I'd love to try HOTD in VR

Alexios

I tried to get access to it over a year ago. Still don't have it :messenger_sad_relieved:

I'd love to try HOTD in VR
Try again or check your spam folder cos I just got in within what, a couple hours?

I hope I can set it up right, apparently it's using retroarch as a base or something and I'm not fond of retroarch myself. I'll report back if I get this going lol.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Ok, I need this. Which VR headset is this being shown with?

Alexios

Ok, I need this. Which VR headset is this being shown with?
Oculus Rift + Touch. But it'd look near identical in such video regardless of the VR kit used.

Just played a bit.

Performance of the room area wasn't great for me and I'll need to configure the emulators for good performance in that too (I'm not a RetroArch user to know which cores and options are the best).

Other than that it worked near perfectly without delving into configuration at all beyond installation and such. It's way simpler to get started with than RetroArch by itself was last I tried.

There were minor issues with the default bindings but that can probably be fixed on my end and I still managed to play Time Crisis PS1 just fine as shown there.

Virtua Cop on Saturn worked well too except I couldn't shoot outside the screen to reload. But he shows that kind of reloading working in that video with HOTD2.

Anyway, it's still a closed beta, I'm very pleasantly surprised with this. The functionality is excellent, it just needs some more polish/tweaking.

I love it already and will definitely play more games like that. I've been waiting for lightgun games in VR without needing CRT and real lightguns for forever.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like this would be amazing with those Knuckle controllers.

One thing I just cannot wait for is having full hand use with tactile feedback. It'll make walking around a virtual room and grabbing things a million times more interesting. And it's already interesting lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom