• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of a generation: what is the best looking game of the PS3/360 era?

mo60

Halo 3 and Halo: Reach both looked better than Halo 4.

343 prioritized the wrong things.

I actually recently played halo 3 and the only good thing about 3 is the hdr lightning in some of the levels. Reach and 4 look better than halo 3 overall.

SmokyDave

I think the two biggest 'fuck me look at that' games for me were Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. I don't know if they were the 'best', but they're certainly the two that blew me away most on first playing them.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo Remember Me deserves to be mentioned, it has a really good and realistic lighting in addition to a good art direction.
42525142013-02-27-17-28-16.png

I actually recently played halo 3 and the only good thing about 3 is the hdr lightning in some of the levels. Reach and 4 look better than halo 3 overall.

In no way does 3 look better than 4, if you want to argue Reach I could sorta understand that, but still I think 4 clearly outclasses both graphically. Now there are other factors to talk that 4 doesn't do as well, level not being nearly as open or sandbox-y.

NekoFever

Could someone please elaborate on why they think Halo 4 looks so amazing? Most of the "vistas" were jpegs in the skybox.

So? We're talking about the how it looks, not how they reached it. REmake had prerendered backgrounds but still undeniably looked amazing.

My vote goes to either God of War III or Uncharted 2.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm gonna go for GTA V, but I'm a sucker for good lighting.
I just love overlooking the city at night with all the blinking lights way up in the distance. Then board a plane and crash it into some building.

Background looks straight up N64 like. 2D Trees and flat shaded grass.

Apart from the rim lighting, I don't know why Galaxy games are looked up to so much. I always thought it was Gamecube plus and it shows.

People think Galaxy looks good because of it's art style. The art style was great, however what shits me is people posting bullshots from Dolphin, as if it proves a point. I fucking love the art style, but fuck me right if I believe it only holds up on PC. On a 50" tv I need to rub my eyes because SD in todays age looks abysmal.

Killzone 2 for me looked far better than anything at the time, since it came out only a few games have beaten it.

God of War 3 & Ascension
Uncharted 2/3
The Last of Us.

July

Banned
I think the new Mario game looks the best for the general achievement award.

Every time someone posts a screen I'm amazed both because of how good it looks and that it's on Wii U.

mo60

In no way does 3 look better than 4, if you want to argue Reach I could sorta understand that, but still I think 4 clearly outclasses both graphically. Now there are other factors to talk that 4 doesn't do as well, level not being nearly as open or sandbox-y.

I think you quoted the wrong user. I think halo 4 outclasses both

Overside

Banned
I really have I hard time doing this without seperating categories.

I really cant compare an open world game to something set peice oriented like GoW3.

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
We played a bit of Halo Reach co-op about two weeks ago and the art, design and visuals overall still look impressive.

Bgamer90

Banned
The Last of Us, God of War 3, Halo 4, Gears of War 3, Rayman Origins, GTA V (impressive for open world).

Edit: Haha, didn't even realize that this was an old thread. Wouldn't be surprised if I already posted here (don't want to check though since I'm on my phone).

Scrabble

Destiny on ps3/360 is very impressive considering the scale and amount of enemies at any given time. And for a cross gen game to be released at the very end of a console cycle, it's commendable that it never drops below 30 frames.

Top Bottom