• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of Evangelion (Could you explain me the very end?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, Asuke is there on the ground, out of nowhere, after getting her arm cut in two in a very brutal and nasty way...so he goes to here, and starts suffocating her...she puts her hand on his face he starts crying and then he says he feels terrible.

Ok so that whole moment is a big wtf moment.

And what happened to all the people that turned into orange juice?

It's the only thing i never understood about Evangelion, i just watched the End of Evangelion again because i thought that now...maybe..i would understand who knows, and i still don't get it.

: /

Him busting a nut over some tities in the nurcery was pretty funny though....and sad.

mosaic

go eat paint
Rei sucks the embryo of Adam out of Gendo Ikari's hand and then merges with Lillith, initiating instrumentality.... everybody is freed from their physical form and becomes one being.... and then Shinji in Eva 01 bonds with Rei/Lillith and is given the sole choice to finalize instrumentality or forget the whole thing. He doesn't want to become one with everyone, because he is a selfish prick, so the whole thing is called off and he ends up the last man on Earth with Asuka as the last woman.... on a world full of Jell-o.

Congratulations -- Shinji and Asuka are the new Adam and Eve.

(The director gave up)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
From what I remember - and it's been a long time - Shinji is given the chance to give the human race a new beginning and essentially recreate the world for the greater good but Shinji being the screwed up individual that he is squanders the oppurtunity and fails.

mosaic said:
Rei sucks the embryo of Adam out of Gendo Ikari's hand and then merges with Lillith, initiating instrumentality.... everybody is freed from their physical form and becomes one being.... and then Shinji in Eva 01 bonds with Rei/Lillith and is given the sole choice to finalize instrumentality or forget the whole thing. He doesn't want to become one with everyone, because he is a selfish prick, so the whole thing is called off and he ends up the last man on Earth with Asuka as the last woman.... on a world full of Jell-o.

Congratulations -- Shinji and Asuka are the new Adam and Eve.

(The director gave up)

Not wanting to become one with everybody is actually the good decision, he wasn't selfish, quite the opposite. Because at 1st that's what he wanted, but then he aknowledged that to satisfy his selfish desires, people would loose identity.

The thing i didn't get was why were they there on the floor, Asuka alive....so, they are the last people on earth? And shinji was about to kill her?

Wow....that's stupid.

I walked away from it with an Adam and Eve scenario. It's actually one of the most ****ed up ways to end a movie, actually. The two people responsible for the fate of the world hate each other.

disappeared said:
I walked away from it with an Adam and Eve scenario. It's actually one of the most ****ed up ways to end a movie, actually. The two people responsible for the fate of the world hate each other.

Yup, and hw just tried to kill her. He won't be having none of that....

Ok, so that's it. Geez...i allways tought there was something more behind it, that's kinda lame.

wow i'm actually pissed off at the ending now :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
It stinks!

Oh, I thought I was in the Jon Lovitz thread. Sowwy. :(

B.K. said:
Maybe the new movies will have a different ending.

New movies? Word? Never heard about it, honestly don't know if i have much more in me for Evangelion.

Evangelion just drained the life out of me, i actually stopped watching any sort of anime for a long long time because of it.

I heard Weta wanted to make a movie based on it, but come on, all the adult themes would get lost in translation.

Merovingian said:
Evangelion just drained the life out of me, i actually stopped watching any sort of anime for a long long time because of it.

Same here, my friend. I was so in love with how D&R and End Of finished everything that I was considering just swearing off all other anime. I couldn't stop thinking about it for about a week straight.

disappeared said:
Same here, my friend. I was so in love with how D&R and End Of finished everything that I was considering just swearing off all other anime. I couldn't stop thinking about it for about a week straight.

I feel ya.

The End of Evangelion entry on Wikipedia seems to back up the theory that I always had, which is that the ending is kinda upbeat.

When I first saw the movie, I felt almost as robbed as when the last two episode of the show ended in Shinji's psyche. But I thought about it a little and similar to those episodes, it does end on a slightly optimistic note.

Yui says earlier in the film that anyone who can "imagine themselves in their own heart" can come back, on their own." I took this to mean that anyone who isn't satisfied with their current existence in the "soul soup" can emerge and become an individual once more.

Merovingian said:
I don't get it, Asuke is there on the ground, out of nowhere, after getting her arm cut in two in a very brutal and nasty way...so he goes to here, and starts suffocating her...she puts her hand on his face he starts crying and then he says he feels terrible.

Ok so that whole moment is a big wtf moment.

And what happened to all the people that turned into orange juice?

It's the only thing i never understood about Evangelion, i just watched the End of Evangelion again because i thought that now...maybe..i would understand who knows, and i still don't get it.

: /

Him busting a nut over some tities in the nurcery was pretty funny though....and sad.

Most people say the director just gave up--which probably isn't too far from the truth. Most of the anime has to do with the development of the characters (the EVA crap is mostly for symbolism and occasional action, if you notice.). I like to pretend that, in the end, Shinji is finally given the world that he believes he wants and realizes how godawful it really would be. Or that he gets stuck with the world he believes he had, only to find that the world he is given is much worse. Really depends on which mood I'm in.

Anyway, it's just another one of Anno's attempts to show how perception defines the individual.

B.K.

Merovingian said:
New movies? Word? Never heard about it, honestly don't know if i have much more in me for Evangelion.

I heard Weta wanted to make a movie based on it, but come on, all the adult themes would get lost in translation.

Anno is making four new anime Evangelion movies. They're supposed to be a retelling of the series. They're supposed to have new story segments and new characters. The first movie comes out in theaters in Japan in September.

a Master Ninja said:
The End of Evangelion entry on Wikipedia seems to back up the theory that I always had, which is that the ending is kinda upbeat.

When I first saw the movie, I felt almost as robbed as when the last two episode of the show ended in Shinji's psyche. But I thought about it a little and similar to those episodes, it does end on a slightly optimistic note.

Yui says earlier in the film that anyone who can "imagine themselves in their own heart" can come back, on their own." I took this to mean that anyone who isn't satisfied with their current existence in the "soul soup" can emerge and become an individual once more.

It's suggested the choice the Shinji reject instrumentality mean it's not totally complete and final, but that if "paradise" is not completely accepted a person's essence might reject it as Shinji did. It's choice of coming back.

It's like the first The Matrix movie in which Agent Smith said they tried for a paradise world, but eventually humanity started to reject it since it did not completely feel right in the long run, like something constantly in the back of our minds telling us something is off. This is a false paradise that denies individuality, so it's a matter of time before other parts of humanity, maybe not all, but in time, return.

That being said, this movie....

.....WTF?!! Seriously...WTF?!!

Yeah, the director did go all nutty and lost it.

JayDubya

Banned
Witchfinder General said:
From what I remember - and it's been a long time - Shinji is given the chance to give the human race a new beginning and essentially recreate the world for the greater good but Shinji being the screwed up individual that he is squanders the oppurtunity and fails.

Nope, totally wrong. Shinji, for one brief moment, essentially becomes God. He has the choice of accepting or rejecting Human Instrumentality.

SEELE believes Instrumentality is the next step in evolution, but logically speaking, it's just a return to the nothingness before creation, bodiless souls and a primordial soup.

Gendo correctly believes that he can manipulate Instrumentality and see Yui again if he can become "God" and merge with Unit 01. Rei III shuts down his plans and gives this power to Shinji instead.

Shinji initially makes the wrong choice, to end all humanity and initiate Instrumentality... the resultant Anti A.T. field causes all life on the planet to lose form and substance, just as Shinji did in his Evangelion entry plug when he goes to a 400% synch ratio and Unit 01 goes Berserker, just as Asuka does when Unit 02 goes Berserker just before the lances kill it (and thus, Asuka survived).

And thus we enter into the simultaneous Episode 25 / 26 & End of Evangelion trippy mindphuckery phase of the story, where Shinji finally learns the value of individuality and rejects instrumentality. The Beast That Shouts "I" at the Heart of the World, indeed.

Lillith-Rei is destroyed, freeing all the souls.

Shinji and Asuka are the first to reform themselves, but anyone else can, too. Presumably, this only applies to characters that weren't already dead, but this is a fine point and doesn't really matter a whole lot.

As for why Shinji strangled Asuka? Well, he did the same thing in his nightmares during Instrumentality and I'm thinking his fractured mind didn't really know the difference between the strange reality he found himself in and his own nightmares, so he lashed out, just as he lashed out at the Asuka in his nightmare. And then she caressed his face, finally showing him kindness, and then just out of pain and guilt and whatever else, he just stopped and began sobbing.

And then she said "I feel sick."

Frankly, I still don't get the "I feel sick" thing, not completely. I think with regards to both characters, Shinji and Asuka, the author is trying to hammer home his whole point.

What is his whole point? It's complex. It's something like "Reality sucks sometimes but it's better than living wholly in a dreamworld or living in a world where there is no identity or individuality. Therefore, even pain and misery have their worth because they're a valuable part of the human experience and accepting that reality is not only part of maturity, but it helps you appreciate the good things in life more."

It may seem somewhat trite to some, but it still seems pretty deep to me, and actually a worthwhile moral-of-the-story for a deeply depressed Otaku, as I was when I first watched it.

I trust the man with the Evangelion avatar.

JayDubya, check out the wikipedia thing I linked to. It has an interesting explanation for the final line of dialog.

Saoh

you just killed the WHOLE world. everyone is dead BECAUSE OF YOU!

i don't think you guys would be the most sane person, i bet you would go ape shit :lol

fun fact: the end of evangelion exists because the ending of the TV series was hated by everyone. so Gainax decided to make things up :p

7Th

I really liked the ending myself, better than a silly reset anyway and despite some really cheesy dialogs the actual storyboard/plot/scene composition isn't half bad. Iso-Yoshinari 02 versus Mass Production Evas is totally awesome, too.

JayDubya said:
Nope, totally wrong. Shinji, for one brief moment, essentially becomes God. He has the choice of accepting or rejecting Human Instrumentality.

SEELE believes Instrumentality is the next step in evolution, but logically speaking, it's just a return to the nothingness before creation, bodiless souls and a primordial soup.

Gendo correctly believes that he can manipulate Instrumentality and see Yui again if he can become "God" and merge with Unit 01. Rei III shuts down his plans and gives this power to Shinji instead.

Shinji initially makes the wrong choice, to end all humanity and initiate Instrumentality... the resultant Anti A.T. field causes all life on the planet to lose form and substance, just as Shinji did in his Evangelion entry plug when he goes to a 400% synch ratio and Unit 01 goes Berserker, just as Asuka does when Unit 02 goes Berserker just before the lances kill it (and thus, Asuka survived).

And thus we enter into the simultaneous Episode 25 / 26 & End of Evangelion trippy mindphuckery phase of the story, where Shinji finally learns the value of individuality and rejects instrumentality. The Beast That Shouts "I" at the Heart of the World, indeed.

Shinji and Asuka are the first to reform themselves, but anyone else can, too. Presumably, this only applies to characters that weren't already dead, but this is a fine point and doesn't really matter a whole lot.

As for why Shinji strangled Asuka? Well, he did the same thing in his nightmares during Instrumentality and I'm thinking his fractured mind didn't really know the difference between the strange reality he found himself in and his own nightmares, so he lashed out, just as he lashed out at the Asuka in his nightmare. And then she caressed his face, finally showing him kindness, and then just out of pain and guilt and whatever else, he just stopped and began sobbing.

Frankly, I still don't get the "I feel sick" thing, not completely. I think with regards to both characters, Shinji and Asuka, the author is trying to hammer home his whole point.

What is his whole point? It's complex. It's something like "Reality sucks sometimes but it's better than living wholly in a dreamworld or living in a world where there is no identity or individuality. Therefore, even pain and misery have their worth because they're a valuable part of the human experience and accepting that reality is not only part of maturity, but it helps you appreciate the good things in life more."

The "I feel sick" was just Anno asking Asuka's VA what did she thought of the ending itself. :lol

7Th said:
I really liked the ending myself, better than a silly reset anyway and despite some really cheesy dialogs the actual storyboard/plot/scene composition isn't half bad. Iso-Yoshinari 02 versus Mass Production Evas is totally awesome, too.

The "I feel sick" was just Anno asking Asuka's VA what did she thought of the ending itself.
:lol

Haha, I guess it's totally apt after watching this flick for the first time. It's like Anno thought, "How many screwed up things can I do to the beloved main characters as much as possible? I know, I'll start with main character jerking it to a comatose girl and then take it from there! Brilliant!!"

Shouta

JayDubya said:

FYI, the line she says, like most of Eva, is a bit ambigious. She says Kimochi warui which is either disgusting or "I feel sick" so it's a matter of interpretation heh.

There was a thread awhile back about a doujinshi called Evangelion Retake and I'd recommend it to anyone that has seen the movie. While it isn't canon or anything, it basically takes everything and kind of tells a story that ends up with the conclusion to the movie. It's been awhile since I've read it though and the translation for it was pretty poor overall but still worth a read. If I could get my hands on some nice scans of the original version, I'd retranslate it so it was far more readable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118355&highlight=Evangelion

JayDubya

Banned
joetachi said:
The only thing i understood from End of Evangelion is that Shinji is the biggest emo in the universe.

Inaccurate and unfair. There's a difference between "being emo" and having extreme clinical depression.

Not only that, it's very, very easy to see why someone with Shinji's history would have such a disorder.

Shouta said:
FYI, the line she says, like most of Eva, is a bit ambigious. She says Kimochi warui which is either disgusting or "I feel sick" so it's a matter of interpretation heh.

There was a thread awhile back about a doujinshi called Evangelion Retake and I'd recommend it to anyone that has seen the movie. While it isn't canon or anything, it basically takes everything and kind of tells a story that ends up with the conclusion to the movie. It's been awhile since I've read it though and the translation for it was pretty poor overall but still worth a read. If I could get my hands on some nice scans of the original version, I'd retranslate it so it was far more readable.

Hentai scenes aside, it was really well done. Surprised on how much thought and care was put into the story for it. The translation does seem to need some work, it got confusing at times.

JayDubya said:

It may seem somewhat trite to some, but it still seems pretty deep to me, and actually a worthwhile moral-of-the-story for a deeply depressed Otaku, as I was when I first watched it.

I love you. That actually makes sense!

Saitou

Banned
JayDubya said:
Eh, I took the appearance of Asuka as Shinji's subconscious need for her. His conscious self, however, is still quite perturbed and that results in the strangling. Maybe he thought she was empty?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I still think that Evangelion is the best anime ever made. Great write-up, JayDub.

JayDubya

Banned
reilo said:
I still think that Evangelion is the best anime ever made. Great write-up, JayDub.

When you start with the operating assumption that collectivism is hell and utilitarians are evil, Evangelion is pretty easy to understand. :D

<==== Also, this man is a great villain. He destroys and uses up everyone and everything around him for a singular purpose, his personal ends justifying any means whatsoever.

Troidal

The director just gave up is the real story.

I read in an interview that they were supposed to end it when Kaworu appears and Shinji kills him, but the sponsors demanded more episodes and couldn't really come up with anything...which turned into the final two episodes. The movie was supposed to redeem that, only to make it even worse.

I thought it was a great anime until that end...but I learned not to expect well-written endings watching an anime since I was a kid. It's usually terrible, and Evangelion was no exception to that.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I once saw a shirt that said "Friends don't let friends watch End of Eva." :lol

I like to pretend that the movies don't exist. I was one of the few people who was fine with the way the tv series ended... Shinji overcoming his mental conflicts and everyone (in his mind) cheering for him gave me a warm fuzzy. Awww.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Troidal said:
The director just gave up is the real story.

I read in an interview that they were supposed to end it when Kaworu appears and Shinji kills him, but the sponsors demanded more episodes and couldn't really come up with anything...which turned into the final two episodes. The movie was supposed to redeem that, only to make it even worse.

I thought it was a great anime until that end...but I learned not to expect well-written endings watching an anime since I was a kid. It's usually terrible, and Evangelion was no exception to that.

I always heard that the director made the movies out of spite, because no one liked HIS ending (the ending to the series). I remember reading that Shinji's personal mental victory at the end was important to him because he was suffering depression in real life, and it greatly offended him when the fans complained about not having an action-packed ending that wrapped up all the loose ends.

This is just my vague memory though, it's been awhile since I was into Eva and read about all this stuff. If anyone has any more accurate information feel free to present it

JayDubya

Banned
MrCheez said:
I once saw a shirt that said "Friends don't let friends watch End of Eva." :lol

I like to pretend that the movies don't exist. I was one of the few people who was fine with the way the tv series ended... Shinji overcoming his mental conflicts and everyone (in his mind) cheering for him gave me a warm fuzzy. Awww.

Whereas I think the TV ending is a great, but incomplete companion piece to the real ending, the mechanism and result of Instrumentality within the real world, not just in Shinji's head.

Troidal

MrCheez said:
I always heard that the director made the movies out of spite, because no one liked HIS ending (the ending to the series). I remember reading that Shinji's personal mental victory at the end was important to him because he was suffering depression in real life, and it greatly offended him when the fans complained about not having an action-packed ending that wrapped up all the loose ends.

This is just my vague memory though, it's been awhile since I was into Eva and read about all this stuff. If anyone has any more accurate information feel free to present it

The interview I read is from last year's article on an anime book my friend gave me. I think the article was like, "Eva staff's retrospect on Evangelion" or something like that...I can try to find the actual quote.

Not reading anything but the OP because that's more fun that way, but IIRC Shinji calls off the whole communal thing at the last second and reincarnates himself and Asuka. He then starts strangling her, showing off his dominance/strength as he's been desperate to get a reaction out of her for the entire movie. When she does respond and it's with nothing but disgust he breaks down or something. I thought it was pretty damn good ending, with Shinji accepting reality in which Asuka has so much contempt for him instead of the perfect existence devoid of indivuality.

Son of Godzilla said:
Not reading anything but the OP because that's more fun that way, but IIRC Shinji calls off the whole communal thing at the last second and reincarnates himself and Asuka. He then starts strangling her, showing off his dominance/strength as he's been desperate to get a reaction out of her for the entire movie. When she does respond and it's with nothing but disgust he breaks down or something. I thought it was pretty damn good ending, with Shinji accepting reality in which Asuka has so much contempt for him instead of the perfect existence devoid of indivuality.

Yep. As I said before, it's probably one of the most tragic endings you could possibly imagine.

Know what would have been the best ending? After all that crap is done (ep 24) Asuka is being a total bitch like usual, and Shinji just slaps the shit out of her and tells her to make him dinner. A coming of age story, for Shinji is now a man! The true meaning of Evangelion.

No, seriously, I have the Evangelion and End of Evangelion dvds... but I can't watch them, because I get so depressed I can't think straight. Most depressing show in the history of shows. I love it, but I hate to watch it. Go figure. The Ending to the EoE was really confusing and made me think about it for a week straight.

I loved the movie ending. The TV ending was pretty great, too, as far as I'm concerned; although they may or may not be just different perspectives of the same series of events etc etc.

Really, if it wasn't for the fact that the movies can't stand alone from the series, I think they'd rank a lot higher on my list of favourites. It's just so rare you get to see stuff that gloriously ****ed up that isn't just some gore-porn horror movie.

Bill_Duke

JayDubya said:
just as Asuka does when Unit 02 goes Berserker just before the lances kill it (and thus, Asuka survived).

That's so simple but perfect.
I've seen many explanations why Asuka survived, but that tops them all. Thanks! :)

B.K. said:
Anno is making four new anime Evangelion movies. They're supposed to be a retelling of the series. They're supposed to have new story segments and new characters. The first movie comes out in theaters in Japan in September.

Cool i guess.

Son of Godzilla said:

Holy shit. Yes, YES!!!

Finaly i GET IT!! :lol

Goddamn...i still didn't get the whole strangling shit, and i finaly get it. It was a way for him to see if that was real, and when she responded the way she did, he realized it was real, he was out of the "dream" world and that the world hadn't gone to shit because of him. He breaks up crying, as a relief, and says he feels terrible or sick (whatever), because of the things that he just went through.

Oh...I like the ending better now :lol :lol

Thanks guys :D

JayDubya

Banned
Bill_Duke said:
That's so simple but perfect.
I've seen many explanations why Asuka survived, but that tops them all. Thanks! :)

See here's the thing.

Evangelion is kind of deliberately obtuse in a Lynchian sort of way. It's meant to be open for personal interpretation.

So I don't know if I "get it" or I'm right about everything, per se, I just know that my theories about the show focus on the hard science fiction aspect but work within the parameters of the mysticism and theology present as well.

With regards to Asuka and her survival, I have only a scant bit of evidence to support my theory - but it seems imminently logical, especially with an unpowered Eva surging up to fight once again, just like Unit 01 did time and time again. I think Shinji dissolved every time, and reformed every time, because that's what a 400% synch ratio does - erodes the pilot's own AT field so (s)he literally becomes part of the Eva.

Yui Ikari was the first one to do this in her experiments, but she was unable or unwilling to come back. From what we know about Yui, she seemed eminently maternal, hyperintelligent, and so knowledgable about Evangelions and all of GEHIRN's operations and ideas as to be prescient.

So perhaps she believed Shinji would need her more in the capacity of a superpowered protector than as a mother to love and hold. She always had a soft spot for Gendo despite him being generally bad news, so perhaps, blind to his faults, she counted on Gendo to be more loving of his own son in her absence.

The stuff I still "don't get" is the stuff that's barely explained at all in the show, but there's enough other material out there that some of the details have been filled in.

What do I mean? Things like Adam and Lilith coming to the Earth in (or AS) a large planetoid and crashing into it billions of years ago, which corresponds to our current theories about how our moon formed.

Well, they split on impact, I guess, and the "black moon" buried itself deep into what became Japan while the white moon buried itself deep into what eventually became Antartica. Tectonic plate movements and whatnot being what they are mean I have about zero idea where they would have struck, and I guess that doesn't matter.

But yeah, apparently Lilith's blood is LCL and LCL is the primordial soup that stimulated the formation of the first living cells on the planet. Okay, fine, I get all that, but there's still several pretty much unsolvable mysteries, like where the Angels come from and why they come in the first place.

At that point, I suppose, it's up to the viewer.
"They're aliens!" "They're gods!" "They're beings sent by God!" Etc, etc.

Ginko

JayDubya said:
At that point, I suppose, it's up to the viewer.
"They're aliens!" "They're gods!" "They're beings sent by God!" Etc, etc.
What do you think of this website:
Q) What are the Angels?

A) The Angels, as described by Misato Katsuragi, are "Humans without human form."

The Red Cross Book defines the Angels as:
Beings originated from the source of life called Lilith. They take various sizes and shapes: from a giant octahedron to a minute Angel the size of bacteria, or even a "shadow" Angel without tangible form. Borrowing Fuyutsuki's words in episode 26', it seems that Angels are beings which got the "Fruit of Life" whereas humanity got the "Fruit of Wisdom".

In other words, "Angels" are another form of humankind with the same potential as humans. Thus, humans are the 18th Angel.
(Translation courtesy Bochan Bird)

Q) Who sent the Angels?

A) All reliable information says that the Angels are acting on their own accord in their own interest and not following instructions from anyone.
That includes any supreme deity.

A LOT of info regarding the story can be found here too (and a continuation for the angels' information): http://www.evaotaku.com/html/evafaq.html

I thought the story was alright, a bit vague though. I remember reading a lot of theories and websites after watching the show. Hence, I find the website above to be the most accurate and meaningful among all. Good and logical theories.

Shouta said:

Wow.

Ok i just finished reading this. And this is just WOW, now this is amazing, holy shit! That's perfect, omg!!!! Yes!!

My goodness...that is some wild and good shit, it's perfect! Man i which they could have put that story in the anime, it's like the missing piece of the puzzle, it's.....awesome. I'm amazed. That just made Evangelion the best piece of entertainment ever, now it feels complete.

I'm out of myself, the whole mythos of Evangelion is propelled to such a quality with that...Thank you, thank you for showing me that. Really.

:D :D

It's not sad anymore

Saitou

Banned
Where the Angels come from isn't that much of an unsolvable mystery. What I thought was currently accepted was the Sea of Dirac theory. Seing as how the concept of teh Sea of Dirac is so strong throughout the whole work of EVA, I take it as fact.

In short, the Sea of Dirac is a universe full of limitless energy. It is the bane of entropy, so to speak.
There is a direct reference to the Sea in the anime, which is the Angel who manifests as a 'shadow.' I recall neither his number nor name, sorry. What that Angel actually was is a direct link to the Sea of Dirac, which is why he doesn't show up as a blue pattern. Notice the disappearing of unit 01, and it's later emerging out of the AT sphere.

Angels similarly manifest directly into our world from the Sea of Dirac, which explains why they seem to simply pop up from nowhere.

The references to the Sea in the anime are abundant, especially in the names of the characters. most, if not all, characters are named for nautical instruments or vessels. Also noteworthy, Nagisa means shore. I interpret this to mean that the characters are exploring the Sea, and Kaworu is the connecting point between Land and Sea.

Or so it goes in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom