• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemies with spooky idle sounds?

nkarafo

I was watching this video about System Shock 2 and i remembered how amazing it's sound design is

The way you can hear the enemies from a close distance and the sounds they make as they roam around idly. Especially the Midwife with her mechanical parts and voice.

Honestly, i don't remember the last time a more modern game had this.

Last edited:
I was watching this video about System Shock 2 and i remembered how amazing it's sound design is

The way you can hear the enemies from a close distance and the sounds they make as they roam around idly. Especially the Midwife with her mechanical parts and voice.

Honestly, i don't remember the last time a more modern game had this.

I thought system shock 2 before the thread loaded, and then saw it was a ss2 post, lol

Loke

The Gill Beasts from Blood always creeped me out with their hissing breathing sound. Doesn't help that they're fast as hell underwater but can also walk on land slowly following you around.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I remember the sound of being in a room close to a boss in a dungeon in The Legend of Zelda on NES. The heavy breathing/screaming or whatever the hell that was. A rather scary sound back then when the game was new.

MiguelItUp

DOOM and Quake did this a lot. Hell, Quake 2, too. I think I remember Condemned doing this too. Bioshock a little bit as well? I was always such a big fan of it.

It's something I feel we should never let go of. Especially with games that are lumped into the horror genre, or deal with horror themes. Eventually learning what sound is what enemy is extremely helpful, but also pretty terrifying depending on what it is, lol.

Nvzman

I am not afraid of the Xenomorph at all and love the Alien movies but the sound of it walking around in Alien Isolation is absolutely terrifying.

It really puts into perspective how intimidating it is, just hearing heavy thumping mixed with slithering. Then it runs at you and it just instantly petrifies you!

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Amazing. I need to play this, it's in my backlog for ages.
mcmahon-disgust.gif

also ghosts in Thief.

Generally speaking Thief has a really good sound design.

Not exactly enemies video

But.. Shalebridge cradle, man. What a level.

Last edited:
Inevitably every time I start a new Minecraft world right when I gather enough material to make some iron armor I start hearing a fucking Enderman teleporting around me. Like bro, can you kindly fuck off for a moment, I will kill you after I get some shit accomplished.

The Mind Flayer’s bell in Demon’s souls. I didn’t play the remake, but in the original, you keep hearing a chime…and you have no idea what it is, until you encounter one. I’m on my phone and couldn’t find a good clip. :(

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I hated these things when I played Fallout 3.

Try Hunt Showdown, quite a few scary sounds in that game especially if you are playing solo and the map happens to be a night map, though they have brightened up the night time since the game launched, it used to be terrifying pitch black and some hell hounds stalking about.

Top Bottom