• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games officially removes building from Fortnite

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In what will likely be the news story of the year, the mad lads did it. Building has officially been removed in Fortnite.

In all seriousness, this season represents the biggest change to the core formula in the games history.

- The game plays much slower. Big open spaces are much more deadly.
- End game circles are massive due to the above.
-Oddly, this seasons theme is essentially war.
- It looks like Epic is going all out on vehicles and gadgets this season.
- The tanks might be a little Horizon inspired. You can target certain parts to break them down in specific ways.

yes-im-so-excited.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Is this just a mode(like deathmatch) or is building fully removed from the game?

It's completely removed from the main mode (not sure about other modes). It's almost certainly returning but it looks like they're going to add a building removal gadget in the next few weeks (as shown in the trailer). This will likely be the least building intensive season since early Fortnite when the player base hadn't figured it out.

It's completely removed from the main mode (not sure about other modes). It's almost certainly returning but it looks like they're going to add a building removal gadget in the next few weeks (as shown in the trailer). This will likely be the least building intensive season since early Fortnite when the player base hadn't figured it out.
This makes me want to try the game out now since that's the case. I'm really curious though how this will affect the campaign mode, or if they'll just keep it all separate.

Banned
no building? DOES THAT MEAN THE GAME IS ACTUALLY ENJOYABLE AGAIN?

for real, the building aspect of the game was fun at the start when everyone just used it to create fast cover or build a fort to snipe from. but now every 10yo you come across is on youtube for 6h a day watching videos on how to most efficiently crank 90s and how to set up your controls so you can scroll-edit like a pro, and the rest of the day they spend playing build-training maps non-stop... that is what it feels like to play Fortnite these days.

they have to strongly nerf building if they don't plan to keep it out forever, which they don't, but I bet this is a test on how it plays without building.
building should have a cooldown or at the very least some form of downside, it should come at a risk and should not be a 100% benefit, especially since it is highly ping-sensitive, meaning if you have a high ping you will be fucked by someone who can edit and/or steal walls from you faster due to lower ping (even tho they tried to reduce that in the past, it's still not solved)

Last edited:

Banned
Keep dreaming if you really think they'll remove the core mechanic that makes Fortnite be played by tens of millions of kids.

well true, but I also think this feature will ultimately be its downfall. it is a HUGE barrier of entry and even as someone who once was pretty good in the game, coming back to it is simply not enjoyable.

I don't know if the game has an MMR system, but if it does it seems to still put me into pretty high skill lobbies even after I haven't played in months and totally out of the loop, so coming back and getting into build fights is just a mindfuck if you aren't CONSTANTLY playing the game and keeping that mindset and skill up.

I played it a ton at around season ~8 (played it more infrequently before that too) and playing it every day and being in the zone so to speak made it really enjoyable... but if you don't do that it's a huge deterrent to ever coming back.

maybe 2 modes as a permanent solution would be best. but even then I think building should be nerfed since it is just way too much of the game and makes the shooting mechanics basically an afterthought it seems

I think a game with a similar issue is Splitgate with its portals. if are out of the loop there or never played it and get into games with people that know what they are doing, it's basically an unplayable mess for you.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Kind of business as usual really, you may find one or two builders in a single match and that doesn’t occur til the end due to the storm not making it worthwhile. And even then you can easily torch them.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I play it with my 14 year old girl and none of us builds, but her aim is on point and we usually take the win. Would be nice with a no-build gamemode.

Banned
Kind of business as usual really, you may find one or two builders in a single match and that doesn’t occur til the end due to the storm not making it worthwhile. And even then you can easily torch them.

I love driving one of the sports cars full speed through someone's Lego house and killing them in the process.

what kind of lobbies do you guys get... sounds heavenly lol

Last edited:

april6e

Wow, this actually might get me to try out the game.

I enjoyed the little of the game I played during closed beta and launch but I hated the building system and how the entire meta of the game revolves around how good you are at building, rather than actual gunplay or positioning. The fanbase would laugh at me whenever I said Ground Game should be a permanent mode.

Hell yeah, I thought they’d remove it eventually.

It felt like it didn’t really fit into the flow of that style of game. Always seemed like a way to get the Minecraft generation into a more deathmatch style experience.

My kids are gonna be pissed haha

Try to hide behind your bullshit now fuckers!

Building was a cool concept that intially pulled me in till my first match and went right back to that "fuck building" feel. Definitely like this change however temporary.

My daughter was gutted but I was elated. Its gonna be very divisive for sure at least between older & younger players.

The building absolutely nerfs gunplay & skill & rewards those who spams building their little sweat nests. Fuck that, pick up your rifle & fight me Instead of cowaring behind your Youtube bullshit

Deerock71

Grandads in the future will be telling their grandkids about how, under HEAVY gunfire, they were able to build fantastic structures faster than the bullets could fly, and they used materials they chopped from the nearest forests, houses, and cars. Not only that, they were somehow able to store these materials in their prison wallet until such time as they needed that material.
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The building absolutely nerfs gunplay & skill & rewards those who spams building their little sweat nests.

The more complexity a game has, the larger the ceiling there is for high skill players to dominate.

The competitive subreddit is losing their mind right now because the skill gap has shrunk considerably without building.

Tams

no building? DOES THAT MEAN THE GAME IS ACTUALLY ENJOYABLE AGAIN?

for real, the building aspect of the game was fun at the start when everyone just used it to create fast cover or build a fort to snipe from. but now every 10yo you come across is on youtube for 6h a day watching videos on how to most efficiently crank 90s and how to set up your controls so you can scroll-edit like a pro, and the rest of the day they spend playing build-training maps non-stop... that is what it feels like to play Fortnite these days.

they have to strongly nerf building if they don't plan to keep it out forever, which they don't, but I bet this is a test on how it plays without building.
building should have a cooldown or at the very least some form of downside, it should come at a risk and should not be a 100% benefit, especially since it is highly ping-sensitive, meaning if you have a high ping you will be fucked by someone who can edit and/or steal walls from you faster due to lower ping (even tho they tried to reduce that in the past, it's still not solved)
This.

Building was fun at first, especially as it was either people only doing simple, practical builds, or elaborate meme ones.

But then it became essential. If you couldn't build well, then you were dead.

I could manage it on PC (but even that got tiring), but playing with a controller... I just gave up.

I might actually play again now.

SnapShot

If they removed building
I'm gonna play the fuck out of it
Building was the only reason I couldn't play. I just wasn't good enough and couldn't get any better at building fast and effecting
The kids were running circles and building mansions around me before I could even place 4 walls

Delt31

I was pumped to see them remove it although it's weird - I kind of miss a little of it. They just need to balance it b/c it became a game of who can be on youtube longer to see how to build quickly. I like the defense mech around it but it was getting over the top.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I won aa lot of solos in the early seasons when building wasn't all that huge and really enjoyed it back then.

I can only hope they keep a no build mode as I will have to try this.

BigBooper

I'll give it another try then. I didn't especially like the gunplay either, but without having the building distraction I might like it more.

Salz01

So far I like it. Like the sprinting and vaulting too. was Getting tired of all the crazy building. I would just sit on the bottom anyways and wait till they came down.

ThaGuy

My biggest pet peeve about Fortnite was people turning into 10 story buildings when you shoot at them lol. I can get with this change.

april6e

Won my first match trying out the changes. This definitely is the best change they have ever done to the game. It's such a massive improvement to how the gameplay works. I didn't expect "Become a Fortnite player" to be part of my 2022 resume but here we are. I hope the rumors aren't true (about them removing it in 9 days) and they keep this mode permanently.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow, I haven't launched Fortnite in a year or more, it's probably a completely different game now compared to then.

And building was my least favorite part of the game then, so I take this as a positive news.

jaysius

Banned
Don’t get too excited, when the base fans cry bloody murder they’ll revert this change and say it was “only a trial for the season”.

My first language is English and I thought that this meant that they removed a polygon structure from the game, not an entire mechanic.

But I remember not liking that mechanic when I played it a few years ago... It just seemed like a goofy PUBG rip off. Little did I know that it would be the biggest game that would ever exist besides Minecraft. Or Roblox.

Top Bottom