• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Reveals Free, Community-Driven Unreal Tournament [Updated]

Nozem

This is awesome, I'm hyped as fuck. UT99 and UT2004 are two of my favourite games ever.

Community involvement and open sourcing everything is also really really cool.

UT veterans working on the project is obviously the right move.

I'm trying to think of things they did wrong here, but nothing comes to mind.

bee

sounds good but if it's open source it'll be interesting to see how they deal with cheaters

finley83

Banned
Between this and Timesplitters Rewind, I'm looking forward to the next few years of PC gaming. Awesome idea and a great way to revive the series!

Skab

Epic announces you will be making a new game for free!.....YAY

Epic is making the game. Players are just contributing mods and levels down the road.

Funny how nobody ever said that about Valve, eventhough they do essentially the same thing.

Because having the community make hats is totally Valve getting them to make the game for them, right?

That is how it is DONE, Epic. You are back on track. Can't wait to see little modders creeping out of the woodworks. Great way to fire-up the engine wars again.

Raide

I am now even more glad I have a sub with UE4. Interesting to see where they take this. Community interaction and suggestions is great but Epic still have to know when to reign things in to make a polished product

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I am now even more glad I have a sub with UE4. Interesting to see where they take this. Community interaction and suggestions is great but Epic still have to know when to reign things in to make a polished product

It does sound like Epic is leading the project for sure: http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5695404/unreal-tournament-new-2014-free-unreal-engine-4-epic-games

Polygon said:
"Our first development goal is to get a basic version of Unreal Tournament deathmatch up and running to provide a basis for iteration and further development," Polge said.

"If you’re a member of the UE4 community, you can participate or just follow our progress on the live GitHub fork. You can also get started extending or modding the code as it becomes functional."

"Unreal Tournament still has a lot of passionate fans," he said. "We think there’s a real need in today’s PC FPS community for a modern competitive shooter that brings back the kind of pure, fast action, skill-based gameplay for which the series is known."

"While we’re in early development, all of the ongoing work will be available live to the Unreal Engine 4 development community in source code form" Polge said. "We expect it will take several months to get to a point where there’s a downloadable, playable alpha version available for gamers.

"From that point forward, it will be live, constantly updated and available to everyone."
It sounds like they're basically allowing people to make mods and community content from day 1, and then get widespread feedback super early, but the core of the product is still being made by Epic.

Kevin

Epic doing things right. This has me really excited. Hopefully it pushes the envelope on PC too in terms of visuals. :)

untitledbyj35.png

Move over Bleszinski, Spalinski is in the house.

Raide

It does sound like Epic is leading the project for sure: http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5695404/unreal-tournament-new-2014-free-unreal-engine-4-epic-games

It sounds like they're basically allowing people to make mods and community content from day 1, and then get widespread feedback super early, but the core of the product is still being made by Epic.

It should lead to having the ultimate UT game. All the best mod ideas and stuff from previous games should lead to an awesome UT title. I know they talk about Windows only but with UE4 PC tools being out there, I wonder if that will make it super easy to have mods out for a possible future PS4/XB1 version?

velociraptor

Epic is making the game. Players are just contributing mods and levels down the road.

Because having the community make hats is totally Valve getting them to make the game for them, right?
So... like UT and UT2003/2004 (both games had incredible community support).

I'm ok with this.

Nokterian

It should lead to having the ultimate UT game. All the best mod ideas and stuff from previous games should lead to an awesome UT title. I know they talk about Windows only but with UE4 PC tools being out there, I wonder if that will make it super easy to have mods out for a possible future PS4/XB1 version?

Nope because microsoft and sony.

Raide

So... like UT and UT2003/2004 (both games had incredible community support).

I'm ok with this.

I think the core difference seems to be more direct interaction from people that use UE4, since they can get access to the source-code as Epic make it. Should make testing and tweaking either much easier or way more complicated. :D

-PXG-

untitledbyj35.png

Move over Bleszinski, Spalinski is in the house.

This dude deserves A LOOOOOOOOT of love.

Very nice guy. Even though he is older, we grew up in the same area. Doing Jersey proud.

Glad to see him in the spot light after all of these years

velociraptor

Never understood the appeal of playing fake multiplayer with bots. Doesn't it just completely ruin the whole point of playing multiplayer mode?
I used to play UT2004 versus bots all the time. It's how I had my fun :p

I was never particularly good - got a pasting whenever I ventured online.

The bots in the UT games were damn good though.

I think they announced it too early, I think they should have waited until they had screenshots of Facing Worlds in UE4 or something. Just my opinion.

Tregard

Soothsayer
UT4 lives!

Probably the best way they could've gone about this, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Nzyme32

You realise that it is not Epic "getting them to make the game for them", and that Epic have to actively work and provide the repo via github? All that's different is that the community is involved from the very start

Wow this is great for consumers. Hopefully it will be a success for them. Love their approach to this and would be a good thing if this catches on.

Sentenza

There are a lot of ways in which this project could go horribly wrong, but I'm going to commend their idea anyway, as it strikes me as something being genuinely made in goodwill.

Of course, with that I don't want to imply they are not going to reap the (potential) benefits, but I have no problem with it.

syko de4d

Interesting Idea. And full source code access for modder, so they could create everything. It could end bad or it will create a game which will be played and supported for a decade.

Skab

You realise that it is not Epic "getting them to make the game for them", and that Epic have to actively work and provide the repo via github? All that's different is that the community is involved from the very start

Err did you mean to quote me?

border

So basically they are hoping that someone creates a mod that becomes a sensation like DayZ or Natural Selection. And then they will just take a cut of that mod's sales?

Are they going to try and sidestep Valve/Steam somehow? If Steam and Epic are both taking a cut, I imagine a mod-maker will be giving 50%+ of their revenue away.

zychi

Banned
Epic is out of ideas this quick without CliffyB?
"Let's make the fans do it for us! Valve sort-of did it!"

Top Bottom