• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store will block your account if you buy too many games too quickly

Mista

Banned
hxthn47vo4lrbdpwsauh.jpg

There’s a big sale on right now at the Epic Games Store, a time when many users—conditioned by Steam’s frequently generous discounts on a huge range of titles—go nuts and buy a ton of stuff real quickly. On Valve’s store that’s enough to get you a pile of shame, but on Epic’s it’ll just get your account blocked from making further purchases.

Via Game Revolution, this is the situation streamer Patrick Boivin recently found himself in:

Nick Chester from Epic PR confirmed with Game Revolution that “This was a result of our aggressive fraud rules,” and that “If players run into this issue, they should contact player support so we can investigate.”

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Once they find out that the customer is always right they'll do whats right and chance this.

Shifty

Angry Pat is the primary source for this? Amazing, no better individual to have a low-key freak-out :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Doubly entertaining since he's been making a point of avoiding the EGS hate wagon recently. Over the edge he goes!

I'm sure the solution is on the roadmap alongside the litany of other stuff they've yet to get to, such as proper competition and wrenching the PR out of its ongoing nosedive.

Last edited:
I don't know, Epic just seems like that kid that has an untied shoe and keeps falling, but they still keep trying to get up and run instead of fixing the issue.

Hudo

How about we finally decouple the games we buy from fucking store accounts already. That also goes for Steam. Steam, the Epic Games Store and any other digital store should fuck off after I have bought the game(s).

Weilthain

Banned
it has to be intentionally bad. Can't see how it can't be a mind game to get people talking about how bad it is, then talk again when it becomes "good" ie mega exclusive games everyone will buy.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Growing pains. I'm sure they will fix the problem.

Just like having no bandwidth limiter yet. People have only been asking for it since 2015. Maybe in another 10 years it'll have the basic features that should be standard in a client of this sort. Guess even app software goes early access nowadays.

Kadayi

Banned
How about we finally decouple the games we buy from fucking store accounts already. That also goes for Steam. Steam, the Epic Games Store and any other digital store should fuck off after I have bought the game(s).

How are they going to roll out updates and patches?

Hudo

How are they going to roll out updates and patches?
Have the games check for updates on startup. You dont' and shouldn't need an account in order to update a game. Optionally, devs can make patch files available to download on their websites if users want to update a game "offline".

Reactions: Fuz

Kadayi

Banned
Have the games check for updates on startup. You dont' and shouldn't need an account in order to update a game. Optionally, devs can make patch files available to download on their websites if users want to update a game "offline".

So basically instead of using a centralised system for easy distribution, you want them to create their own individual pipelines and maintain them? You don't see the inherent problems and cost issues with that approach?

Last edited:

Hudo

So basically instead of using a centralised system for easy distribution, you want them to create their own individual pipelines and maintain them?
If it helps getting games decoupled from store accounts, then yes.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
So basically instead of using a centralised system for easy distribution, you want them to create their own individual pipelines and maintain them? You don't see the inherent problems and cost issues with that approach?
I'm all for games having their own launcher (similar to how most Paradox games and some MMOs do it). It has a lot of advantages in not needing to roll out different updates for each platform. Instead, you just need one patch for each platform. Plus maybe one more for Steam as most Steam games link against Steam's libraries (at least those using Steam's API for various features).
You are of course right for the cost that introduces for developers, but I'm not sure how big that cost would be and if it wouldn't be worth it regardless, for the decoupling alone.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Didn't they just have a sale?

2019, no cart and they want to compete with Steam? WTF
Steam is great right now, so many features......Though the Epic Store is new, I guess they concentrated more on securing exclusive games instead of working on their featureset and kinks.....

Hudo

I'm all for games having their own launcher (similar to how most Paradox games and some MMOs do it). It has a lot of advantages in not needing to roll out different updates for each platform. Instead, you just need one patch for each platform. Plus maybe one more for Steam as most Steam games link against Steam's libraries (at least those using Steam's API for various features).
You are of course right for the cost that introduces for developers, but I'm not sure how big that cost would be and if it wouldn't be worth it regardless, for the decoupling alone.
I agree. I also recognise that it might be an issue for indie developers. Big developers do that already anyway (having their games connect to their servers). For indie devs and devs that don't want to or can't invest in a server infrastructure, the digital stores can help out by distributing updated game binaries. I mean, yes, you have a store account in order to buy a game. I am OK with this. My problem lies that those stores (except GoG) want to bother you with that account after the purchase is complete. I don't want to install a store client. I don't want to have to open it if I want to play a game. I don't want to login to the store if I want to play a game. That's my main point.
I don't want to abolish stores or store accounts. I just want them to not bother you after you have bought the game. I want to remove this intermediate layer, so to speak.

Shifty

I don't know, Epic just seems like that kid that has an untied shoe and keeps falling, but they still keep trying to get up and run instead of fixing the issue.
Also the kid is rich and, rather than applying band-aids to any scratches and scrapes incurred, they just whack a dollar bill on there instead and keep going.

Yes but Steam fanboys need reason to bash it
That's pretty rich coming from a raging xbox fanboy with a penchant for triple-posts.

Last edited:
The only game I've actually paid for on EGS so far is the Borderlands 3 pre-order. But this store really needs a shopping cart.

I feel like having Steam or EGS or whoever F off after you purchase the game is just going to mean more invasive DRM.

I mean we get invasive DRM already even coupled to Steam.

A lot of online games through Steam do this anyway. Not that I'm advocating for it since more often that not it's a pain in the ass for me despite a fast connection.

Hudo

I feel like having Steam or EGS or whoever F off after you purchase the game is just going to mean more invasive DRM.

I mean we get invasive DRM already even coupled to Steam.

I have to admit, if that is what would happen (And I haven't considered that), then I'd rather have the fucking stores and its bullshit accounts. Because the typical DRM-thing to do would then be to have every game be coupled to a publisher's account instead (which some publishers already do...).

Last edited:
Also the kid is rich and, rather than applying band-aids to any scratches and scrapes incurred, they just whack a dollar bill on there instead and keep going.

That's pretty rich coming from a raging xbox fanboy with a penchant for triple-posts.
Lol ya right im Xbox fanboy. Even though i own all systems.

I just call out stupid people who hate stuff for no reason. Half of the people here post stuff without using brains. So someone has to call them out.

Last edited:
Yes but Steam fanboys need reason to bash it

I just call out stupid people who hate stuff for no reason. Half of the people here post stuff without using brains. So someone has to call them out.

You get defensive about being called a fanboy yourself, then immediately call another group fanboys.

giphy.gif

People aren't "hating on EGS" for "no reason"

- Epic store placement means removal from Steam, typically involving a money hat. Do you like when companies limit people's access to play games on their chosen/preferred platform?
- Epic's Tim Sweeney has become delirious. He's said on social media that the 88% model is unsustainable. He told PCGamer that they will never include community forums. He had a massive sale on everything in the store without telling any developers, effectively erasing their improved profits, which led to games simply being removed from the store during the sale, meaning zero sales for those games which could have benefitted from cross-promotion while people were checking out the sale.
- Epic has no features while Steam has been building them for a very long time. Shopping carts :messenger_unamused: for starters. They also have an achievement system, updates and patches for older games, mod support, news sections for every game, a forum going back over a decade with community support, a review system, etc. Some of these are going to be made available at a later date on EGS, and that's great, I'll take another look when it's all finished. Finished is how I prefer the products I buy and support though. Epic's road map shows that some of the most important/demanded features are the ones that are going to appear last, with not real date given. The fact a game store has a roadmap is questionable, usually you enter the market with a competitive product. If not for the money hatting, EGS would simply be Origin or Uplay, but with less features.

Right now the only advantage EGS has is a hat full of Tencent money to buy new exclusives. What's going to happen when Tencent stops funneling money to them, or (as a 40% shareholder with the ability to sue Epic if they aren't acting in shareholder's best interests) demands they start taking a bigger cut? Tim Sweeney has no options anymore as his balls are in a vice. Right now he is able to simply give out money to devs on the stipulation that they don't have the game available on Steam but that's not going to cut it when the 88% model fails as the EGS becomes more expensive to maintain.

This isn't about installing another launcher either. I've had Uplay and Origin for years and while I hate having another thing running in the background, at least they are fully functioning stores (with features like acheivements, a chat system, friends list, a shopping cart) They also don't pay outside companies to remove their games from other platforms as they stick to thei own products.

demigod

Kid, you're not fooling anyone.

You get defensive about being called a fanboy yourself, then immediately call another group fanboys.

giphy.gif

People aren't "hating on EGS" for "no reason"

Pretty much every xbox fanboy on GAF. They love to fling the word fanboy as an insult on other people but get REALLY REALLY REALLY defensive if you call them that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Oh man I’m hearing stuff about the store nearly every day. Just this morning a coworker told me about how someone asked for epic to send them their account details/info but they sent it to the wrong person instead and then asked the other (wrong) person to please discard the info lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom