• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS) first details

kanugo

I'm mega-hyped but the "heavy use of the stylus" bit has me worried.

I'm not a fan of using "L" as a jump button and stylus jumping would be 10x worse. :S

Maybe they play Kid Icarus and figure out a way to let the player change the control scheme.

zroid

Banned
I'm mega-hyped but the "heavy use of the stylus" bit has me worried.

I'm not a fan of using "L" as a jump button and stylus jumping would be 10x worse. :S

It doesn't sound like the stylus will be used to control Mickey himself, but rather just at specific (frequent) times to do certain drawing related tasks. Whether this proves annoying or not though, remains to be seen. I think it should be okay.

I can't wait to see what this game looks like. Watching a stage 1 play through of Castle of Illusion on YT just brought back so many memories. This game and Sonic 1 were my only video games for a long time as a kid.

Awesome.

Now, for the love of God, can we get Castle of Illusion on a download store? Wii or 360, I don't care, just let me buy this game again.

dacuk

Hope Henry Hatsworth appears as a hidden character.
BigBen kicking asses all around!

not going to happen :(

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Awesome.

Now, for the love of God, can we get Castle of Illusion on a download store? Wii or 360, I don't care, just let me buy this game again.

At this point, if SEGA and Disney are smart...Castle of Illusion on Game Gear Virtual Console. But it'll never happen :(

Boerseun

Banned
Calling the 3DS version of the product Epic Mickey 2, when it will clearly offer dissimilar gameplay and it's own innovations, is a mistake, in my opinion. The Wii is the primary platform for the console version of the game. And I think they have a real chance here with creating an ancillary, supporting product that contributes to the franchise as a whole. The ideal for the publisher would obviously be to have people who own both a Wii and 3DS buy both versions of the game. But making these games appear to offer largely the same experience (even if only superficially) could potentially impact sales on both platforms.

As a case example - Sonic Colours came out on Wii and was instantly heralded by most people as the greatest Sonic game ever (as it surely is). But how many people know that the game also came out on DS, where despite having the same title, it was not only a completely different game, but a great game in its own right that is well worth buying?

I'm hoping we get great sales on both Nintendo platforms (as I honestly don't see the HD versions doing anything noteworthy at retail). Hopefully good sales can drive a continued Disney gaming revival, perhaps leading to more Disney properties being turned into high profile games made by talented studios.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Awesome.

PSN, XBLA, VC, Steam.. you name it. Just give us a downloadable version of Castle of Illusion. The Master System version preferrably. With cheevos/trophies.

BDGAME

not_awesome_smiley.png

This!

And a bi hug in my 3DS!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Calling the 3DS version of the product Epic Mickey 2, when it will clearly offer dissimilar gameplay and it's own innovations, is a mistake, in my opinion. The Wii is the primary platform for the console version of the game. And I think they have a real chance here with creating an ancillary, supporting product that contributes to the franchise as a whole. The ideal for the publisher would obviously be to have people who own both a Wii and 3DS buy both versions of the game. But making these games appear to offer largely the same experience (even if only superficially) could potentially impact sales on both platforms.

As a case example - Sonic Colours came out on Wii and was instantly heralded by most people as the greatest Sonic game ever (as it surely is). But how many people know that the game also came out on DS, where despite having the same title, it was not only a completely different game, but a great game in its own right that is well worth buying?

I'm hoping we get great sales on both Nintendo platforms (as I honestly don't see the HD versions doing anything noteworthy at retail). Hopefully good sales can drive a continued Disney gaming revival, perhaps leading to more Disney properties being turned into high profile games made by talented studios.

Yes, in this age where gaming is emerging a lot perception-wise as a media, we need great Disney games again. Epic Mickey the first, at least theorically, was a great first step in this direction. It divided a lot of people, but now there's the second act: if Epic Mickey 2 does well in all its version, I hope we'll see again other Disney properties becoming great games.
What if Capcom...aaaaah, now let's not dream too much.

BDGAME

Seaman was to be the first game to be resurrect in 3DS... but its looks like Castle of illusion take the leap. Now, who will be the next?

Tunic

The 3DS is getting several wonderful releases this year and it is quite exciting. Having Scrooge McDuck sold this game for me. I am absolutely beyond stoked and will be looking for details on this game constantly. I love everything nostalgic Disney and it seems they are looking to touch on plenty of that with this game.

90sRobots

Haha so Spector wasn't full of shit when he said he wanted to revisit those old Disney games. I'm cautiously in.

Though I feel its relationship to the 1990 game will be mostly superficial and there for marketing reasons. It could be the videogame equivalent of Prometheus!

I'll take more art deco levels though:
Castle_of_illusion_niveau_2.png

Eric C

Calling the 3DS version of the product Epic Mickey 2, when it will clearly offer dissimilar gameplay and it's own innovations, is a mistake, in my opinion.

Is it going to be called "Epic Mickey 2"? From what I've read the console sequel isn't even going to be officially titled 'Epic Mickey 2" Instead it's going to be "Epic Mickey: The Power of Two". So I assume the 3DS game will just be "Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion"

Hopefully the box art puts great emphasis on the subtitle "Power of Illusion", so people realize they are very different games.

Wouldn't be hard on another system that offers touch screen. Not trying to beg, of course, just saying that it would be possible.
Not quite. There's a lot of software compensation that goes on even with the iPhone's awesome touch screen. I also imagine the main platforming action will occur on top with the drawing on the bottom screen so that'd probably also be a problem.

Not all touch screens are created equally and a stylus is much thinner than any finger so easier to keep in the lines.

Meanwhile the HD versions are made by the studio who shat out:
Puss in Boots (2011)
Michael Phelps: Push the Limit (2011)
Fantastic Pets (2011)
Yoostar 2 (2011)
All Star Karate (2010)
Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout (2010)
The Biggest Loser Challenge (2010)
iCarly (2009)
Karaoke Revolution (2009)
Biggest Loser (2009)
Bratz Girlz Really Rock (2008)
Tak and the Guardians of Gross (2008)
Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol Encore (2008)
Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol (2007)
Sneak King (2006)
PocketBike Racer (2006)
Big Bumpin' (2006)
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (2006)
Bratz: Forever Diamondz (2006)
Bratz: Rock Angelz (2005)
Pac-Man World 3 (2005)
The Fairly OddParents: Shadow Showdown (2004)
Bad Boys: Miami Takedown (2004)
The Fairly OddParents: Breakin' Da Rules (2003)
Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue (2003)
Taz: Wanted (2002)
Zapper: One Wicked Cricket (2002)
Fusion Frenzy (2001)

Don't know about any of the other ones, but I remember playing this one and it was suprisingly good.

The Genesis version is better than the Master System one, but even the Master System version as amazing at that time. Played both a lot (I remember the SMS being harder).

Now I want to play the Genny one again....

Mhhm, there's about 6 screenshots in Nintendo Power. Along with some Concept Art.

Does it say something about the music? I hope there are remixes of the movies soundtracks and not Jim Dooley original music.

Haha so Spector wasn't full of shit when he said he wanted to revisit those old Disney games. I'm cautiously in.

Though I feel its relationship to the 1990 game will be mostly superficial and there for marketing reasons. It could be the videogame equivalent of Prometheus!

I'll take more art deco levels though:
Castle_of_illusion_niveau_2.png

That level was inspired in the Mary Blair facade designs of "its a small world".

I want to wait until I actually see the game, but the news makes this sound like the superior version. The 3DS is looking more and more appealing by the day.

Top Bottom