• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS) first details

thomasos

IT IS ..... BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!

edit : I think we should ask the mods to open an exception to these scans ... because THEY ARE GODLIKE and it is a SIN not to share this to THE WORLD !!!
IT CAN BRING WORLD PEACE !!!!

You know, a subscription to NP is only 20 bucks per year. :p

Platy

WAIT !

Wikipedia is telling that Land of Illusion for Master System is a SEQUEL of Castle of Illusion for Mega Drive.

HOW DOES THAT WORK ?

I mean .. it is like making God of War 4 and release it to the Playstation 2 !

You know, a subscription to NP is only 20 bucks per year. :p

The brazilian version of NP is laughable compared to the original

just saw the screens...

gtyp2.gif

As someone who grew up playing the early Sega and Capcom Disney games on their respective systems........ wow! :O

WAIT !

Wikipedia is telling that Land of Illusion for Master System is a SEQUEL of Castle of Illusion for Mega Drive.

HOW DOES THAT WORK ?

I mean .. it is like making God of War 4 and release it to the Playstation 2 !

I'm from a country where the Master System above all else was king for awhile there, for many years I had no idea Castle of Illusion even came out on Mega Drive. Thought it was just a Master System series until World Of Illusion which was the 'big zomg 16bit entry' lol.

Luigiv

But the original post said 'hand-drawn sprites' and 'scrolling parallax backgrounds', the scans don't seem to fit, I thought this was going to be 2D?

I'm dubious about those scans tbh.

... I don't think you're looking at the right scans because the ones we've all seen fit the bill to the letter.

^yeah, there's scrolling parallax and what seem to be hand drawn sprites, and it's definitely 2D. Maybe you're looking at the Epic Mickey 2 ones

But the original post said 'hand-drawn sprites' and 'scrolling parallax backgrounds', the scans don't seem to fit, I thought this was going to be 2D?

I'm dubious about those scans tbh.

You're looking at Wii/PS3/360/PC version screenshots, i.e. Epic Mickey: The Power of Two, not scans of the 3DS games, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I found them, A M A Z I N G, so much nostalgia came flooding back to me looking at those screens, this honestly looks like the definitive version imo, when is this supposed to be coming out?

Yay! Just found the screens (And on a board of a completely unrelated franchise/mascot, come to think about it ;) ).

It's funny that, although I'm sure the last screen is concept art, it looks pretty similar to the actual gameplay screens. The game looks great, I wonder what other series/characters will we get aside from Peter Pan, The Sleeping Beauty(screens) and Tangled(announced). I wish they sold that magazine where I live...

I found the screens and I think some of the sprites looked a little weird; like they don't fit in with the background. This could be because they're scans and not direct feed though. Even with that aside, it looks very nice.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wow, I wasn't paying close attention and I didn't expect this game to look like this when it was announced. This is pretty sweet.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Even better, every level in the game is based on an animated Disney adventure, from "Sleeping Beauty" to "Tangled" and lots in between.
Now thats what I'm talking about

EDIT: The scans look great. How was the level design in Monster Tale? I thought Hatsworth had decent design but it was a very different type of game from what I expect this will be.

One thing I'm curious about. Is the game titled "Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion" or "Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion"? There's no consistency between various sites reporting it, even NP's preview page lacks it, for both titles IIRC.

I'd prefer it without the 2, as it does make it seem like a me too game, where as lacking it makes it its own entry.

Edit: Actually, NP's site shows the 3DS game without the 2:

http://nintendopower.com/

Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two & Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion

Edit: Yet the TOC lacks the 2 for both:

http://nintendopower.com/images/NP277_TOC.pdf

thomasos

One thing I'm curious about. Is the game titled "Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion" or "Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion"? There's no consistency between various sites reporting it, even NP's preview page lacks it, for both titles IIRC.

I'd prefer it without the 2, as it does make it seem like a me too game, where as lacking it makes it its own entry.

Edit: Actually, NP's site shows the 3DS game without the 2:

http://nintendopower.com/

When our cover story went to press, neither the Wii nor the 3DS game had a "2" attached to them. That's obviously changed for the console game, so we added the "2" to our web preview to reflect that. I don't know whether Power of Illusion will have a "2" added to it or not.

NTom64

Read the info, saw the scans, experienced a wave of nostalgia that hit harder than anything I've felt in the past few years.

God I need to get a 3DS by the time this comes out. Think I'll just play World of Illusion on an endless loop until it releases lol. How were the other Illusion games, by the way? I've only ever played World (as far as I can remember, anyway).

randomkid

Need to see real screenshots and not scans but looks very promising and promise of parallax makes my heart flutter, I kept an eye on Hatsworth and Monster Tale and hope this turns out well. The main awesome thing is that the 3DS hasn't completely killed 2D at retail, this is the first fully sprite-based 2D game announcement for 3DS I can recall and I hope there's more.

I was a huge Mickey Mania fan, can anyone tell me how Castle of Illusion is better or what makes it special? Old screens people posted look nice.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The scans look great. How was the level design in Monster Tale? I thought Hatsworth had decent design but it was a very different type of game from what I expect this will be.

Terrible. People tend to cut it slack because it looks okay, or because it's a metroidvania, or whatever, but man, the map design suuuuuuuucked. Hatsworths wasn't fantastic either but Monster Tale was on a whole other level.

Top Bottom