• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion (3DS) first details

Unicorn

Definitely going to have to play some Genesis Illusion game(s?) I think my friend has them buried somewhere. Somehow, I missed out on these Disney games, but loved Lion King, Aladdin, and Toy Story.

Gotta catch up to the bandwagon. Also, those screens certainly look like the Genesis. So, is this going to use 3D at all? Honestly, looks like it could be a DS game.

Just saw the pics
1180958522711.gif

Sooo can not wait for this one, looks amazing.

Diablos54

Always wanted another Land of Illusion game, and the only difference between this and that is that LoI uses different time frames while this uses different movies. Should be AWESOME!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I just plugged in my Genesis with World of Illusion upon hearing this news. tried turning it on for the first time in...ohh I dunno..15 years? And it FUCKING WORKS!

My cousin is coming over soon for some World of Illusion Co-op. Fuck yeah.

I'm coming over.

Hope all this positive attitude doesn't turn into backlash. Hope the game's as good as it looks at least.

Hey I was swayed the minute I saw Pixel-art Mickey again.

And then Scrooge was like delicious cake frosting.

Also platformer.

Yeah. That sounds enough to give me a happy unless they screw it up.

All of this has reminded me I need to get around to finishing Monsters Tale, was just having some problems leveling up one of the forms I think

OH MY GAWD just saw the screenshots. 2D sprite, side-scrolling goodness. It looks so enchanting. SO, SO, SO much better looking than the first Epic Mickey's bland, polygonal graphics.

Great although I haven't had a chance to play original Illusion games, I hope there was a legal and easily accessible way to play them,

fernoca

Disney never allows DD from what I hear. That's why even Birth by Sleep is unavailable on PSN.
They didn't at first. After 2008/2009 they started putting their PSone games (Hercules, A Big's Life and a few others) on the PlayStation Store.

If anything, I guess it might depend on other things. For example, Castle of Illusion been developed and published by Sega.

Just saw the screenshots and they've filled me with warm anticipation. It's odd that they didn't go with the weird "updated" look for Mickey seeing as the game is technically a part of the "Epic Mickey" series but I can't say I'm complaining as classic Mickey looks so much better.

fernoca

Just saw the screenshots and they've filled me with warm anticipation. It's odd that they didn't go with the weird "updated" look for Mickey seeing as the game is technically a part of the "Epic Mickey" series but I can't say I'm complaining as classic Mickey looks so much better.
Though I think is the same Mickey form the previous game:

iPNjY.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As a final declaration of oldschool love, every character that Mickey saves in Power of Illusion will take up residence in the fortress that Mickey uses as his home base, a confirmed nod to the esteemed Suikoden RPG series. Sometimes you find references in the unlikeliest of places, but that's part of what makes video games fun. Right?
Will they forge armour for me, sell me stuff, temper my weapon, gossip, let me play dice/card minigames, affix runes/forge spellstones for me, etc? And will they upgrade my castle every few stars? Finally, will I have a cooking minigame? :p

Joking aside, I think that's a rather... ambitious... way of looking at that, but that's just me. We'll see when we know more, I guess. It's just that the article saying that and making that comparison leads me to expect more of the base itself. Perhaps in a Skies of Arcadia sort of fashion.

Anyway, a game in the vein of Castle of Illusion? That sounds great. Screens look amazing.

This looks amazing, I loved the old Genesis titles. And if that didn't sell me enough, a Tangled themed world did. Do want 2D sprite Rapunzel.

So it looks like a SEGA game and this is exciting? Rayman has spoiled me

Different strokes for different folks, personally I really don't dig the super exaggerated, swirly style of Origins which doesn't seem to have anything to do with the cutesy look of Rayman's -- orgins? This, on the other hand, seems to fit the asthetic of Mickey's classic 2d roots to a tee. Plus, the fact that it's going to be gorgeous in motion and 3D is pretty much a given.

Apenheul

Different strokes for different folks, personally I really don't dig the super exaggerated, swirly style of Origins which doesn't seem to have anything to do with the cutesy look of Rayman's -- orgins? This, on the other hand, seems to fit the asthetic of Mickey's classic 2d roots to a tee. Plus, the fact that it's going to be gorgeous in motion and 3D is pretty much a given.

Personally I didn't care for the jumping mechanic of Rayman Origins, it had that weird 'snap-to' behavior. Epic Mickey 2 from the looks of it has that old skool platforming feel to it which is exactly what I want. Level design, which was the greatest strength of Rayman Origins, could still ruin Epic Mickey 2 though.

Tizoc

Just saw the screens, they look nice.
...now hurry up and release a region-free model 3DS Nintendo!

Vitet

WAIT !

Wikipedia is telling that Land of Illusion for Master System is a SEQUEL of Castle of Illusion for Mega Drive.

HOW DOES THAT WORK ?

I mean .. it is like making God of War 4 and release it to the Playstation 2 !

I think it was because the two consoles were released with little time between them, and the Master System become popular later, in Europe mostly

mclem

Do we have a release date for this?

It's crossed my mind that Nintendo have said that they're working on a 2D Mario for the 3DS, and I'm worried that if both games release in a similar window Mario could cannibalise the potential sales of this.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Disney trademarked Castle of Illusion late last year. Wonder what that was about. (Would be awesome if it was a bonus unlockable in this)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do we have a release date for this?

It's crossed my mind that Nintendo have said that they're working on a 2D Mario for the 3DS, and I'm worried that if both games release in a similar window Mario could cannibalise the potential sales of this.

1) I doubt Nintendo would do that
2) Mickey Mouse is incredibly popular. Even Mario couldn't hurt sales too much.

Doesn't matter though, like I said, Nintendo wouldn't do that to a third party exclusive. It would hurt their relationship, and Nintendo's trying to get more third party support these days.

I was in charge of the network system technology for the Nintendo Wii at NTD. Perhaps I'll do it once again for Wii U, but there are no real plans for that right now. After all, there are still almost 6 months left until that platform launches. The network system doesn't need to be ready at launch.

Whaaaaaat?

It's not like the competition have fully featured networks and content delivery services, after all....?

sakipon

Someone has got to get people back out of cloud 9. Just watch the 6-7-ish review once this comes out and then me and my bucket will not be there to catch your tears

Way to be a Debbie Downer. We have plenty of time to mock and judge the game and it's devs when and if it gets those mediocre reviews. Until then I'll be proudly on the hype train. Choo choo!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do we know that this is a box release? I mean, sales-wise, it should be, but Amazon or Gamestop don't have pages for it

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I've only seen the one screen with Scrooge McDuck in it, but it looks lovely. I am definitely more interested in this one than the "real" Epic Mickey 2.

Kind of like how the GBA version of the TMNT movie cash-in game turned into a much better game than the other, higher profile versions.

I'm concerned about the sprites being "flipped", Mickey should be holding his brush in his right hand when facing right (which would be the most common position), and Hook's hook and sword are on the wrong sides when he's facing left which again is the normal direction usually.

I can see it now. Epic Mickey 2 |OT| The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
I'll leave it to everyone's tastes as to decide which is which.

For every one to know, Im calling DIBS in for making both games Official thread.
If no one has call dibs before, of course.

Being a Disney and disney theme park nut will make me happy doing the OT for the games.

Top Bottom