• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic reiterates it is still making games; multiple in development

Sean

Banned
Fortnite was announced December 2011 and still doesn't seem any closer to release.

I'd be surprised if they have a big-budget AAA game in the works, Epic can't even seem to get iOS games out anymore.

Opiate

I still think that their tech demos were using assests from the games they are currently making. Looking forward to see what they've been up to at E3 ( I'm guessing )

It's possible, but all signs point to them focusing heavily on the Chinese F2P market. It's a highly lucrative market segment that American companies are, for the most part, leaving completely unexplored.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How are they even operating right now?

- HQ in Austin Raleigh - engine/Fortnite
- Epic Games Poland (formerly People Can Fly) - Fortnite
- Chair Entertainment - Infinity Blade
- Epic Games Korea - licensing/support
- Epic Games Japan - licensing/support
- Yingpei Games (former Epic Games Shanghai) - licensing/support/content creation
- Epic Games Baltimore (former Big Huge Games)- closed

Is this correct?

Also, UT2004 is fucking 10 years old now? Holy shit.

edit: Wrong HQ.

Portman

I would love to see Shadow Complex 2 (and PC please!). Also would like to see another UT game for them. Samaritan looked like it was a neat concept, would be neat to see that fleshed out.

At least they're makiIid an engine that gets a lot of use and enables other neat games. I just get the feeling they're going the way of id software.

Sky Chief

- HQ in Austin - engine/Fortnite
- Yingpei Games (former Epic Games Shanghai) - licensing/support/content creation

Is this correct?

I thought their HQ was in NC

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Is this correct?

Their main branch is actually also building a larger scale project than Fortnite that's more along the lines of TitanFall (online only type shooter, but with more RPG and progression/persistence/economy/etc mechanics put in).

I suspect PCF is doing that too since they seem to be a support studio now.

USIGSJ

Is this correct?

There's Seattle studio that's working on engine only, and Yingpei isn't part of Epic anymore.

http://epicgames.com/news/epic-games-launches-new-seattle-studio/

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/3/7/2852141/epic-games-china-now-ying-pei-games-no-longer-part-of-epic-games

Nokterian

Shadow Complex 2 please..also on PC this time and a new UT. There saying there making games but i want to see it to believe it.

ChaosXVI

Shadow Complex 2...please come out someday...

We should all take bets on whether SC2 or a new 2D Metroid comes out next.

Madness

Why did Epic sell Gears anyways?

Microsoft paid them a lot of money. That's basically what it comes down to. Many of the key guys who worked on Gears left, Epic was bought by some Chinese gaming company, they've been focusing more on engine licensing of Unreal etc. Their focus just doesn't seem to be in the AAA crowd anymore. So after Judgment kind of flopped does it make sense to hold onto the series, or sell it for large amounts of money?

Who really knows, but it seems like the Epic Games of distant and recent memory is gone.

Mikey Jr.

Microsoft paid them a lot of money. That's basically what it comes down to. Many of the key guys who worked on Gears left, Epic was bought by some Chinese gaming company, they've been focusing more on engine licensing of Unreal etc. Their focus just doesn't seem to be in the AAA crowd anymore. So after Judgment kind of flopped does it make sense to hold onto the series, or sell it for large amounts of money?

Who really knows, but it seems like the Epic Games of distant and recent memory is gone.

Ohh, ok. Seemed like the Gears franchise still had life in it, especially if you put it on 2 consoles and PC.

Opiate

It's really important to get the order of events here right, I think. Did Epic get investment from a Chinese firm, only to be forced along the path towards F2P/Mobile by their new Chinese overlords? Or did they choose this path, and an alliance with Tencent seemed appropriate? The answer, as best we can tell, is the latter, not the former.

Opiate

The better question: Are they still in the business of making AAA console games, as they have in the past?

By "in the past" do you mean "just last generation?" They were PC focused before last gen, and sound like they'll be mobile/F2P focused after it. Regardless, there may still be one bullet loaded in that "AAA console" chamber, if for no other reason than that companies don't typically transition unilaterally in the span of a couple years.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Their main branch is actually also building a larger scale project than Fortnite that's more along the lines of TitanFall (online only type shooter, but with more RPG and progression/persistence/economy/etc mechanics put in).

I suspect PCF is doing that too since they seem to be a support studio now.
Really? Where's that information from? I only know about the rumor from Eurogamer's Tim Sweeney interview, but I would love for that to be true. Sadly I agree about PCF, I doubt they will get their own game anytme soon after Bulletstorm.

Thanks, it was pretty hard to understand what happened between Titan Studio, Epic Games Shanghai and Epic, I read that wrong.

Who wants to bet that they're next console game will also be Xbox exclusive?
I would, because their exclusivity with Xbox happened, because all big Unreal Engine games were on 360 at the time, that's just not the case anymore. They could even hurt themselves if they don't show off their engine on all systems. Epic's roots are on the PC, their engine ran really well on PS3 later in the generation and they don't need the exclusivity money. Why would they do it?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sometimes I feel like Epic is owned by MS. You couldn't tell the difference if the Unreal engine wasn't used in every other game.

Yeah, like that DayZ game I bought in pre-Alpha. yeah...about that.

Edit: I want to crowd fund Cliff Bleszinski's game before I retire.

Top Bottom