• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

Helios

I've decided to make a thread about this that I'll be updating instead of creating a new one every 2 weeks.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/
Free right now

jTQA0rL.png

Next Week

KisPtXQ.png

World War Z
Tormentor X Punisher
Figment
Watch_Dogs
The Stanley Parable
Mutzione
A Short Hike
Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
GoNNER
Offworld Trading Company
InnerSpace
Faeria
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Aztez
Kingdom Come Deliverence
Ticket To Ride
Pandemic - Canceled
Carcassonne
Farming Simulator 19
The Bridge
Horace
Sundered: Edlritch Edition
Steep
Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition
Darksiders Warmastered Edition
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Hello Neighbor
The Talos Principle
Shadow Tactics
Hyper Light Drifter (again)
FTL
Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
Celeste (again)
Ape Out
Little Inferno
SuperHot
TowerFall Ascention
Into The Breach
The Wolf Among Us
The Escapists
Jotun Valhalla Edition
Rayman Legends
Bad North Jotunn Edition
RUINER
Nuclear Throne
SOMA
Costume Quest
QUBE 2
Layers of Fear
Surviving Mars
Alan Wake: American Nightmare / >Observer_
Minit
Metro 2033 Redux
EVERYTHING
Batman Collection
Conarium
The End is Nigh
Abzu
Celeste
Inside
Fez
Hyper Light Drifter
Mutant Day Zero: Road To Eden
GNOG
For Honor
Alan Wake
Moonlighter
This War of Mine
Limbo
Torchlight
Overcooked
Last day of June
Rebel Galaxy
Enter the Gungeon
Kingdom: New lands
City of Brass
Rime
What Remains of Edith Finch
Stories Untold
World of Goo
Transistor
The Witness
Oxenfree
Slime Rancher
Thimbleweed Park
Axiom Verge
JackBox Party Pack
Subnautica
Super Meat Boy

Last edited:

Helios

I wanted Subnautica but since then I'm just doing the same thing I do on my ps4: add to library and then probably never play :p
Same here. I got Subnautica but never played it. Too many games that I want to play.
I will however give Axiom Verge a shot. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Last edited:

Typhares

Same here. I got Subnautica but never played it. Too many games that I want to play.
I will however give Axiom Verge a shot. Heard a lot of good things about it.

I have axiom verge on ps4, I played it for quite a bit (longer than the average time I give to games these days) but didn't finish it.
Deffinitely worth a try.

wipeout364

I wonder how long they can keep this up. It’s great strategy to get people to put Epic’s store on their desktop but it must be incredibly expensive.

I have downloaded all the games, but I have bought Ashen, Hades, Genesis alpha one and Donut Couny. I already had the launcher installed for Fortnite. I wonder what the conversion rate is for free downloads to purchases.

Kadayi

Banned
Added. I installed the launcher because I'm interested to see whether they evolve it, but I'm not buying any titles on it until they add in some decent user feature sets.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had Shadow Complex, the Unreal Engine, and Unreal Tournament already installed. And now I'm playing Super Meat Boy. I can't believe Super Meat Boy would have been $20 without any sales. It's a great game though.

Javthusiast

Banned
Missed Subnautica, but got super meat boy.

Always wanted to try Axiom Verge, but it was too expensive for my taste, so glad it will be free soon.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I wonder how long they can keep this up. It’s great strategy to get people to put Epic’s store on their desktop but it must be incredibly expensive.

I have downloaded all the games, but I have bought Ashen, Hades, Genesis alpha one and Donut Couny. I already had the launcher installed for Fortnite. I wonder what the conversion rate is for free downloads to purchases.

How long judging by the Fortnite money? Long.

Kadayi

Banned
How long judging by the Fortnite money? Long.

I don't know. The fact that Epic is aggressively looking to become as a proper Steam alternative and sweetening the deal with payments to developers to jump ship on timed exclusivity, coupled with the deep discount if you use Unreal Engine seems to be an attempt to build for the long term beyond their own product. Fortnite might be all the rage at present and it's certainly not going to go away anytime soon, but the plain truth of the matter is as the generation who got into it get older other things will take priority. I think the principle is all well and good because with Fortnite at present they have a killer app. The problem is their launcher is pretty barebones from a user perspective in terms of feature set.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't know. The fact that Epic is aggressively looking to become as a proper Steam alternative and sweetening the deal with payments to developers to jump ship on timed exclusivity, coupled with the deep discount if you use Unreal Engine seems to be an attempt to build for the long term beyond their own product. Fortnite might be all the rage at present and it's certainly not going to go away anytime soon, but the plain truth of the matter is as the generation who got into it get older other things will take priority. I think the principle is all well and good because with Fortnite at present they have a killer app. The problem is their launcher is pretty barebones from a user perspective in terms of feature set.

They have released a roadmap, so we know what's coming.

Stuart360

Gold Member
I have the Epic store just for the free games, and purposely so. Hopefully they feel i'm a waste of time, like i do about them.

Helios

Thimbleweed Park is now Free (it has been for a few days but I forgot to check). Next will be Slime Rancher.

Denton

Not buying anything there as long as they do this artificial third party exclusivity bullshit, but I will take those free games (not that I will ever play them tbh).

Stuart360

Gold Member
I'm building a nice little collection of free games on there, free games that i will probably never play. I am upset i missed out on Subnautica though, stupid crappy installer wouldnt install on my PC. In the end i had to find a Epict Store installer that someone had removed the Direct X part, just so i could install the store. That was after the Subnautica promotion had ended though sigh.

Domisto

ooooo Witness. I'll be taking that.

I played Oxenfree recently (freebie via GOG) and it's worth a play. Has a nice relaxing style. More like an interactive horror movie with some replay value if you want to screw with the outcome.

manfestival

Epic store continues to pour out games that I do not care about at all.. Feels like PS+ all over again... except that costs money

ROMhack

Seems like they're going after a certain audience with some of these free games. Games like The Witness, Oxenfree and Edith Finch are for a specific audience, different to Steam's jack-of-all-trades role. Even indies games like Axiom Verge aren't a million miles away.

Admittedly I'm very much in this audience.

Last edited:

Helios

The Witness is now free. Next is Transistor.

EDIT: Their server might be having some issues right now. It keeps saying "Loading your order" at least to me.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Everyone here who hasn't tried or played Subnautica, please get on yer bikes and go at it. It's goty 2018

It looks nice in 4k too (playing on a 2080ti). I'm not normally a fan of crafting games but if it looks good I'll stick around a while and maybe get over the initial learning curve.

edit: I'm guessing it's not free anymore. Duh

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
EDIT: Their server might be having some issues right now. It keeps saying "Loading your order" at least to me.

Their store's JS files now literally get tagged as ads by most adblockers. If you're using an adblocker, you'll need to temporarily disable it to complete purchases now.

Hinedorf

Banned
Unfortunately most of those free games I already bought on Steam. I spent a lot of time with Subnautica, for that to be a free game that's a pretty cool offer by Epic.

While I think it's a pretty awesome offer and I'm happy gamers will get to experience some cool stuff they otherwise might skip because of the cost I also recognize that Subnautica is worth the money I paid for it.

I have the Epic app and I don't use it but I'd honestly rather buy it on Steam again than play it for free on Epic. On one side I think it's great people have lots of free options, on the other hand I think a lot of how Epic is trying to get into this business is through very scummy tactics

Stuart360

Gold Member
Unfortunately most of those free games I already bought on Steam. I spent a lot of time with Subnautica, for that to be a free game that's a pretty cool offer by Epic.

While I think it's a pretty awesome offer and I'm happy gamers will get to experience some cool stuff they otherwise might skip because of the cost I also recognize that Subnautica is worth the money I paid for it.

I have the Epic app and I don't use it but I'd honestly rather buy it on Steam again than play it for free on Epic. On one side I think it's great people have lots of free options, on the other hand I think a lot of how Epic is trying to get into this business is through very scummy tactics
Yep it says it all when people would rather BUY the game on Steam than get it for FREE on the Epic Store.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Their store's JS files now literally get tagged as ads by most adblockers. If you're using an adblocker, you'll need to temporarily disable it to complete purchases now.
I was wondering what was going on, no thank you in that case, I already got The Witness from PS+. :p

Top Bottom