• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

Stuart360

Cant even load up the launcher after an update, something to do with failing to launch the prerequisites. I have all the launchers from all the companies, never a problem with any of them, just with the EPIC shite. Piece of shit company, piece of shit launcher.

Helios

Moonlighter and This War of Mine are now free. Next week will be Alan Wake and For Honor.

Isn't For Honor already free?

pr0cs

Finishes moonlighter on gamepads, pretty great game. The Xbox version at least is a bit buggy, achievements not unlocked, few crashes.. still I finished it and enjoyed it immensely

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Unless it’s changed it has a free version with very limited content (playable characters etc) and paid versions with varied levels of content. I’m guessing the most basic paid version is what will be free.

Ascend

Moonlighter and This War of Mine are now free. Next week will be Alan Wake and For Honor.

The free games are becoming better over time it seems... Epic gets a lot of hate, but, can't argue with free. Even if you hate Epic, the more free stuff they give out, the more they lose money I would think, since the cost of giving these games away has to come from somewhere. So arguably, the more you hate them, the more of their free games you should download to put some strain on their pockets xD

On a side note... I guess I'm gonna have For Honor on all platforms...
Bought it on UPlay
Got the free version of the full game on Steam a while back
Now a free version on Epic store as well

Ultimately they all tie into UPlay anyway, but whatever. I'll take it.

johntown

Banned
The free games are becoming better over time it seems... Epic gets a lot of hate, but, can't argue with free. Even if you hate Epic, the more free stuff they give out, the more they lose money I would think, since the cost of giving these games away has to come from somewhere. So arguably, the more you hate them, the more of their free games you should download to put some strain on their pockets xD
I hate Epic and I disagree. I would rather not have any games from them even if they are free. I don't want to have an account that can be used to tout their userbase and the number of active user they have. Getting a few old used games is not going to hurt their pockets in the least.

Total boycott is the only way to deal with these trolls.

Domisto

Hyper Light Drifer and Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden are free for the taking.

Next game will be Fez, free between Aug 22 - Aug 29

Helios

Hyper Light Drifer and Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden are free for the taking.

Next game will be Fez, free between Aug 22 - Aug 29
Thanks. Updated.

Surprised to see Mutant Year Zero on their. Been interested in that game since it's first preview, but not enough to pull the trigger on it.

pr0cs

Surprised to see Mutant Year Zero on their. Been interested in that game since it's first preview, but not enough to pull the trigger on it.
I played it on Gamepass pc but their shitty beta lost my game save around 80% in.
I really enjoyed it, I may try again to finish it using the egs version instead now.
Hyper light drifter has been on my wish list for eons, egs really came thru this round

Fuz

Banned
I'm a loyal customer.

7kBrlvc.jpg

I go almost every week to get my free game(s), but I only played The Witness so far, and it's a puzzle game so I got bored pretty fast.

Epic is trying to get into this business is through very scummy tactics
I have tried to figure out how else they could do it, and my personal conclusion is that they have to provide some really powerful hooks for gamers to bother with another storefront/DRM system beyond Steam.

Free games
Exclusive titles
Low royalties for developers

This is not very idealistic, but I think that this is how they will eventually become and likely stay relevant.

Let's say you were in their position, and you had the idea of competing with Steam - to win - what would you do? (This is rhetorical, I get why you don't like what they are doing, but given the goal I think they do as good as they can).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This is crazy. No other company is doing this without a paid subscription.
I've been super impressed by their giveaways. Stories Untold was just what I was looking for. I was actually considering buying Thimbleweed Park. Mutant Road looked cool, but I didn't want to spend $30 on it. I just bought Hyper Light Drifter for iOS and now I have the PC version. Epic has nailed it. Its like going to Costco and seeing a bunch of samples of foods you've always wanted to try.

Domisto

I have tried to figure out how else they could do it, and my personal conclusion is that they have to provide some really powerful hooks for gamers to bother with another storefront/DRM system beyond Steam.

Free games
Exclusive titles
I think it's very hard to get a good foothold in the market without a lot of investment. Discord keep trying, Amazon/Twitch somehow keep failing to make progress. Aside from starting with a very bare bones launcher the only really controversial thing Epic are doing is the exclusives. I'm okay with them having a few but they've made some very bad choices taking almost finished games that has led to promising refunds. Ideally I'd prefer it if only games with an upfront investment were exclusives, more like on consoles and Apple seem to be doing a bit of this, don't know about Google. But hey. Business is business. At least I get some free games.

Hinedorf

Banned

Free games
Exclusive titles

This is not very idealistic, but I think that this is how they will eventually become and likely stay relevant.

Let's say you were in their position, and you had the idea of competing with Steam - to win - what would you do? (This is rhetorical, I get why you don't like what they are doing, but given the goal I think they do as good as they can).

It's odd because as a consumer I have no problem with free stuff or exclusive stuff. But at the very basic foundation of what Steam offers for some reason I find myself very loyal to them and I feel it's primarily because Epic is so shit. If they just had an intelligent interface and all the same bells and whistles as Steam, i'd be interested.

Epic feels like if I went into a Dollar-Store that only sold video games. I could walk into a typical corporate video game store like Gamestop and spend the exact money I expect to spend, or I could go to the Dollar store and buy some cheap shit. I have money and I also have expectations, Epic fails me on all fronts.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I've been super impressed by their giveaways. Stories Untold was just what I was looking for. I was actually considering buying Thimbleweed Park. Mutant Road looked cool, but I didn't want to spend $30 on it. I just bought Hyper Light Drifter for iOS and now I have the PC version. Epic has nailed it. Its like going to Costco and seeing a bunch of samples of foods you've always wanted to try.

Except it's not a slice, but a whole pizza!

Shit I have 25 in store credit with them and I just can't bring myself to spend it. I considered BL3 for a moment but I almost don't want to reward them with a purchase.

Reactions: Fuz

Caffeine

Ye I've pretty much gotten all the free games and I found a old gift card when beyond two souls was $10 and used it.
I think the only game I guess I've actually purchased is borderlands 3 from gmg when it was cheap oh well. However I don't really support the platform it lacks many features, the only time i boot it up is to grab free games lol.

Gabbelgak

I think the point of the free games is so when the exclusive ones come out your reaction isn't simply "My whole library is on steam, why would I purchase from epic?", you already have a built in library of games you never play - just like steam - it's all a psychological experiment. This is the first week it's had one that I've actually installed and played (Mutant Year Zero) but "bought" them all.

FreeThinker1990

..pronounced with a silent 'F'
Celeste and Fez are two of my absolute favorites of the last few years. Particularly if you're going in blind on Fez, they're both amazing experiences.

I hate Epic and I disagree. I would rather not have any games from them even if they are free. I don't want to have an account that can be used to tout their userbase and the number of active user they have. Getting a few old used games is not going to hurt their pockets in the least.

Total boycott is the only way to deal with these trolls.
I am indifferent to Epic and I disagree. I would rather have games from them especially if they are free.

Last edited:
Z zcaa0g in all honesty, that was me being a jackass and saying the opposite of what johntown said. There was no legitimacy to what I said. I was just being obnoxious with that one.

Top Bottom