• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store Free Games

And in a little while we will have Remnant.

DiligentWarpedInvisiblerail-small.gif

jaysius

Banned
This is what the destruction of PC gaming looks like folks, this is doomsday as we know it, it's just like the Steam Defense Force prophesized.

On a serious note, I'm sick of everyone having a launcher now, it was so much simpler when it was just steam.

Streaming services have gone this route too, there were too many, the weak died off, now we're back to too many again.

Entertainment industries current model fucking sucks.

Ascend

This is what the destruction of PC gaming looks like folks, this is doomsday as we know it, it's just like the Steam Defense Force prophesized.

On a serious note, I'm sick of everyone having a launcher now, it was so much simpler when it was just steam.

Streaming services have gone this route too, there were too many, the weak died off, now we're back to too many again.

That's why GOG Galaxy is awesome. You can connect it to pretty much any other launcher. The other launchers might still need to open when you launch a game, but at least you don't have to keep all of them open at the same time, and you can see all your games in a single place.

jaysius

Banned
Fixed that for you.

Yea, you made it worse, one centralized place is good better than the old way.

I know GOG Galaxy promises not to store any login credentials and all that, but I'll give it a little more time, wait a while, if they ever did have breaches it's not like they'd admit to it until a year later anyway.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I know GOG Galaxy promises not to store any login credentials and all that, but I'll give it a little more time, wait a while, if they ever did have breaches it's not like they'd admit to it until a year later anyway.
Their client (and it's store plugins) are all written in Python and are easy to debug. Having wrote a few dozen of these integrations myself, I can safely say that they're not just blowing smoke when they say they're not storing any login credentials.

The only place they're saved is on your local PC.

jaysius

Banned
Their client (and it's store plugins) are all written in Python and are easy to debug. Having wrote a few dozen of these integrations myself, I can safely say that they're not just blowing smoke when they say they're not storing any login credentials.

The only place they're saved is on your local PC.

Thank you for that reassurance.

Last edited:

Fbh

Remnant looks interesting, though reading up on it I don't think it's for me.

"Dark Souls inspired shooter" sounds awesome but going through randomly generated levels to fight randomly placed enemies to get to a randomly selected boss sounds like the exact opposite of the hand crafted world and level design which is one of my favorite elements of Dark Souls.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

HE1NZ

Banned
It says I already own Enter the Gungeon. Did they run out of indie shovelware and now recycling them?

jshackles

It says I already own Enter the Gungeon. Did they run out of indie shovelware and now recycling them?
It was free from June 13, 2019 - June 20, 2019

jshackles

Also free this week:

Kazza

Where's the free games alert crew got to, I almost forgot about about this week's:

epicgames.com/store/en-US/bundles/shadowrun-collection

Next week will be Into the Breach:

64kLKEd.png

jshackles

Weird to make a dlc free but not the base game.
The base game (or rather, compilation of games) was free a few months back. So a lot of people should already have it if they've been following this thread.

I believe this was also free on Steam for a short time when it launched.

Last edited:

Belmonte

They killed this week. Hitman seems great from the video reviews I saw and Shadowrun Dragonfall is a must play if you like CRPGs. Very good story, C&C and one of the best parties I ever saw in a RPG. Choosing which member would go in the missions was a pain since I wish everyone could tag along. I wish it had a little more exploration but it is one of my favorite CRPGs this generation.

I wasn't familiar with Shadowrun universe but I found it much cooler than I thought it would be. Surprisingly cyberpunk and D&D is a great mix after all.

Didn't play the other Shadowrun games but I plan to!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm curious, what made you like Returns so much better than Dragonfall? I don't know if I play Returns of Hong Kong first so this can be helpful to choose one.

The first game, Returns, was one cohesive story. Dragonfall was disjointed, individual stories that are separate from the main plot. The problem was, there was so much interjection in these side stories that the main plot was completely forgettable. It is all character backstory, which is about the most boring thing it could have been. I strongly prefer the world of Shadowrun over the character's back stories.

The combat felt roughly the same in the 2 games. If I remember correctly, you can easily blast your way through the game with the shotgun. I had a tougher time with Returns at first, but that makes sense since it was the first update to the series in a long time. Dragonfall, I pretty much picked up all the lessons I learned from returns and steamrolled my way through the entirety of Dragonfall, making it much less engaging.

I should go back and replay Returns to see if it holds up as well as I remember.

Belmonte

The first game, Returns, was one cohesive story. Dragonfall was disjointed, individual stories that are separate from the main plot. The problem was, there was so much interjection in these side stories that the main plot was completely forgettable. It is all character backstory, which is about the most boring thing it could have been. I strongly prefer the world of Shadowrun over the character's back stories.

The combat felt roughly the same in the 2 games. If I remember correctly, you can easily blast your way through the game with the shotgun. I had a tougher time with Returns at first, but that makes sense since it was the first update to the series in a long time. Dragonfall, I pretty much picked up all the lessons I learned from returns and steamrolled my way through the entirety of Dragonfall, making it much less engaging.

I should go back and replay Returns to see if it holds up as well as I remember.

Thanks for the impression! So gameplay wise the games are very similar. I hoped Returns had more exploration in relation with Dragonfall.

johntown

Banned
I am one of the few who hated Dragonfall but loved Returns. Haven't touched Hong Kong yet.
I loved Returns too! I started Dragonfall a few times but keep getting wiped out in the beginning lol. I love the Shadow Run series and now I'm am wondering if I will dislike Dragonfall since I liked Returns so much?

Rikkori

I thought Returns was great too, but still liked Dragonfall best. Recently re-played them all and this changed a bit. I think I like Hong Kong best now because the whole build aspect is more interesting & engaging than previously.

Either way, I love all three and are some of my favourite games of all time. They really made something special, too bad the company's output nose-dived after it.

jshackles

I feel like a bit of a turd being disappointed that the only free game this week is a repeat so I get nothing new.

Now to continue waiting for next week and celebrating my upcoming Thursday ritual when I will add the free games to my account and then never play them.

Kenpachii

PC always had loads of launchers mate when online hitted, steam was just one of those. It became big because of single player games it started to adopt and push people aggressively on populaire titles on there platform. Seems like u need some schooling on this part.

Also it was so simple when we just had battlenet, then steam had to launch and look another launcher, wish it never took off because fuck a lot of clients man. oh wait.

Also about your hard life.

Clicking a desktop icon is hard now guys. Or when u need to download and install it, press start > epic / steam = mega hard guys.

Also stream services costs money, so more services = more money so yes that does suck. For clients on PC not really. All it does is competition and that's great for pressuring companies to innovate.

Last edited:

Shmunter

PC always had loads of launchers mate when online hitted, steam was just one of those. It became big because of single player games it started to adopt and push people aggressively on populaire titles on there platform. Seems like u need some schooling on this part.

Also it was so simple when we just had battlenet, then steam had to launch and look another launcher, wish it never took off because fuck a lot of clients man. oh wait.

Also about your hard life.

Clicking a desktop icon is hard now guys. Or when u need to download and install it, press start > epic / steam = mega hard guys.

Also stream services costs money, so more services = more money so yes that does suck. For clients on PC not really. All it does is competition and that's great for pressuring companies to innovate.
It’s easy guys....

images

Kenpachii

It’s easy guys....

images

Should probably read. start > epic or start > steam.

Super hard

Also who has more then 10 games installed on there PC at all times? i have maybe a handful and that's about it no SSD space for more.

Also who doesn't have multiple monitors?

Last edited:

A.Romero

I'm an EGS detractor in it's current form but I caved in for Troy.

Having an extra launcher is not an issue at all. Trusting Epic/Tencent and segmenting the PC offering with exclusives could.

Not to forget the way Epic has been conducting business recently.

In any case, I now have the Epic client installed so Into the Breach is in my library as well now. Looking forward to more free games.

Top Bottom