Epic to charge $45 for Weapon Skins in Gears 3

Vire

DancingJesus
#1


Oblivion Horse Armor - $2.50

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition: $40.00

Forty Double Cheese Burgers from McDonalds: $40.00

Gears of War 3 Weapon Skins Total- $45.00



Available on Day One:

Each Set Static - 240 points
Each Set Animated - 320 points
Weapon Collections - 1200 points (x5 Weapons)
Launch Collection - 3600 points (Every Skin Every Weapon)

Set = All five starting weapons
Collections = 5 collections of 21 skins, each containing every skin for the Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Gnasher or Sawed of Shotgun
Example = Rainbow Lancer

This was just announced on Epic's official live stream by Gears lead - Rod Fergusson. I will update the OP when the official post goes out.

These skins CAN NOT be unlocked, and must be purchased as DLC to access them. Unfortunately, the skins are on the disc but the user must pay to unlock them.

The Gears of War Season Pass DOES NOT include the weapon skins so you are looking at an additional $30 for the downloadable maps.



 
#13
How is this differant than hats in TF2? It's not really. I am ok with them charging shit load of money for astetic crap that doesn't alter the game at all. You want gun skins? Pay up!
 
#17
I want to be outraged but then I remember what I've spent on TF2 hats/weapons and LoL skins.

Have fun to those that want to buy those skins. :)
 
#24
BobTheFork said:
How is this differant than hats in TF2? It's not really.
Agreed, and the TF2 prices are similarly LOL-worthy, but at least you have the chance to get a random drop, or trade, or craft a TF2 hat.

and LOL @ making another thread about this
 
#25
Post from the OT by JambiBum breaking the price down.

JambiBum said:
Just for clarification. It's 45 dollars for 105 skins. So it's 43 cents per skin if you want to put a dollar amount per skin.
Yeah its pretty bad but laying it out like that makes it less stupid I guess. Still not a chance in hell that I will buy them.

I can't understand why you would want every single skin though, I would generally like to stick with one or two consistently. Even then, why would you want to flaunt a skin that you bought when there are ones that people earn by doing in game stuff?
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
#27
ok, nobody forces anybody to buy this, BUT SOME PEOPLE WILL DO THIS

it's ok. I hope this money goes straight into funding of Bulletstorm 2.

edit: oh, I see only 43c per skin.

I bought Killing Floor costumes for 2 bucks. I suck.
 
#29
Skins. Meh. They don't do anything and in fact will probably make you stand out more in multiplayer. Like in Halo with the armor effects...makes no sense. Why would I want my head on fire so my enemy can see where I am from across the map?
 
#31
Wario64 said:
Waiting for better source.
Rod Fergusson just announced it in a live stream. Vire made a misleading/ sensationlist title.

From my post in the OT:

me said:
Each Set Static - 240 pts
Each Set Animated - 320 pts
Weapon Collections - 1200 points (x5 weapons)
Launch Collection (EVERY SKIN EVERY WEAPON) - 3600 pts

Set = all five starting weapons
Collections - 5 collections of 21 skins, each containing every skin for the Lancer, Retro, HB, Gnasher or SOS
 
#34
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Agreed, and the TF2 prices are similarly LOL-worthy, but at least you have the chance to get a random drop, or trade, or craft a TF2 hat.

and LOL @ making another thread about this

this is what makes it completely different and nothing like this.

I have tons of TF2 items and i never bought even one.

Also, big part of the profit they get from buying items for the store goes to actual community members who made those items, rather than all to Valve.

So people who buy items in the store are just people who want to support the community, since you can still get the items for free by playing the game.

This is absolutely nothing like the TF2 model at all.
 
#35
Einbroch said:
Skins. Meh. They don't do anything and in fact will probably make you stand out more in multiplayer. Like in Halo with the armor effects...makes no sense. Why would I want my head on fire so my enemy can see where I am from across the map?
Yeah, I like to be camouflaged in my fucking red/blue armor.
 
#41
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Agreed, and the TF2 prices are similarly LOL-worthy, but at least you have the chance to get a random drop, or trade, or craft a TF2 hat.

and LOL @ making another thread about this
True. I've found a few cool hats I didn't need to buy. Shame they don't have that in Gears. But I stand by what I said, if it's just skins charge as much as you want and let the people who buy that crap pay the bill.
 
#42
Isn't that sort of disingenuous to add up the total cost of all the skins when in fact you can buy them individually? If you did that for all DLC some would total out at hundreds of dollars maybe.
 

Vire

DancingJesus
#46
SalsaShark said:
this is what makes it completely different and nothing like this.

I have tons of TF2 items and i never bought even one.

Also, big part of the profit they get from buying items for the store goes to actual community members who made those items, rather than all to Valve.

So people who buy items in the store are just people who want to support the community, since you can still get the items for free by playing the game.

This is absolutely nothing like the TF2 model at all.
Exactly, if there was an alternate way to unlock these weapons - this topic wouldn't exist.
 

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
#48
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Not a big deal, gotta make money from used game sales anyway.
Just make multiplayer tied to a key on the game that can only go to one account, problem solved.
 
#49
Those prices don't seem too bad. Obviously you'd be fucking insane to get them all but 240 to 320 points, that's around the amount of points I would have left after buying a game or DLC off Marketplace and it's a bit more practical than avatar items.
 
#50
Good for them! I hope their game is popular enough that there are people willing to spend that much money. Hopefully this ends up being a great source of income for Epic.