• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic vs Google Revelations

reksveks

Last edited:
i love that googles thought was we should just buy them and kill them off.

meanwhile apple are playing in cat mode. they'll fuck around with epic for a while just for a bit of fun and let them burn money on legal stuff as punishment. either epic will give up or apple get bored they'll kick epic's ass.

seriously how fucking dumb is epic? they are picking a fight with the two big bullies in the playground.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Epic, Google, Apple, Valve all are shit.....Epic is less shit than Google and Apple. Valve as a company may not care about customers but I think Gaben is still gamer at heart. My single biggest issue with Epic is that their storefront just sucks balls and I just don't get it. How can they develop unreal engine 5 and yet not have a simple feature as a product cart? Its mind-boggling to me. But on side note grab "A plague's tale: Innocence", its free there today, even if you don't have pc or are not interested in it yet.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What's funny is they ended up selling part of themselves off to Sony.. and one has to wonder if that had something to do with the profit sharing asks from Sony, as nobody would confirm whether Epic was actually giving them money, just that Sony had asked.

Not saying that's some awful thing, just that Epic are such hypocrites w/ how they act about phone app stores vs. the console manufacturers.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Megacorps or corporations with a shitton of money playing measure my dick and then start fencing. Who cares? But the news are filled with it. And the worst is when people stand beside X or Y. They don't know shit about given entity, yet they wave flags. I'm sure diss company is birthing cute baby otters while da other is the root of all evil and eats babies alive.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Epic, Google, Apple, Valve all are shit.....Epic is less shit than Google and Apple. Valve as a company may not care about customers but I think Gaben is still gamer at heart. My single biggest issue with Epic is that their storefront just sucks balls and I just don't get it. How can they develop unreal engine 5 and yet not have a simple feature as a product cart? Its mind-boggling to me. But on side note grab "A plague's tale: Innocence", its free there today, even if you don't have pc or are not interested in it yet.
Valve is the only company in the race that actually cares about it's customers though.

reksveks

Valve is the only company in the race that actually cares about it's customers though.

Hmm, I don't trust any company, Valves refund policy was effectively forced upon them by Australia I think.

i love that googles thought was we should just buy them and kill them off.

meanwhile apple are playing in cat mode. they'll fuck around with epic for a while just for a bit of fun and let them burn money on legal stuff as punishment. either epic will give up or apple get bored they'll kick epic's ass.

seriously how fucking dumb is epic? they are picking a fight with the two big bullies in the playground.

Epic knows it ain't likely to win the court cases but it also knows its not the only thing it can do. It as part of the coalition of App fairness can do more and that's probably the best way that they will get the remedies that they want. The anti-trust movement is growing, the issue will be the courts that possible strike down any new laws or side with the companies over the ftc.

A.Romero

No big business exists out of goodness of the heart of anyone. If the benchmark is "how much they care about their customers" then they all fail. The only priority is profit as it should be and the illusion of customer care is just a mean to achieve it.

Even Epic charging a smaller cut is no more than a strategy to approach the market in a different way by protecting developers at the expense of users (the fees that Steam and the rest absorbs are passed along to customers).

I still think Epic is in the wrong here and their approach has been shit for consumers.

FStubbs

No big business exists out of goodness of the heart of anyone. If the benchmark is "how much they care about their customers" then they all fail. The only priority is profit as it should be and the illusion of customer care is just a mean to achieve it.

Even Epic charging a smaller cut is no more than a strategy to approach the market in a different way by protecting developers at the expense of users (the fees that Steam and the rest absorbs are passed along to customers).

I still think Epic is in the wrong here and their approach has been shit for consumers.
Profit is the #1 concern but not every business is amoral. Some businesses actually would halt at unethical behavior just to squeeze out a buck.

A.Romero

Profit is the #1 concern but not every business is amoral. Some businesses actually would halt at unethical behavior just to squeeze out a buck.

Businesses that allow their moral compass to dictate their operations don't become big businesses. They can't. They either compromise along the way or get bought by other bigger businesses.

But for the sake of argument let's say that there are big businesses somewhere that do operate positively. None of them are involved in this dispute and wouldn't be able to actually compete in this space where the ones that dominate the market simply don't care.

It's partly our fault as consumers. We go where the best prices and the best fitting products are, not where the best values are upheld. Naturally, businesses will gravitate towards what sells the most.

"Epic's against us? Google Assistant, prepare the armada. We'll use the old ways."

Sundar Pichai, you absolute madlad.

jurassic world eating GIF

reksveks

Same revelation but more info

The suggestion was offered during a meeting between Apple and Google, the details of which are still confidential. But other portions of unredacted court documents reveal Google suggested to Apple the two companies team up and "work as if we are one company" to combat efforts like Epic's to undermine mobile app store commission rates and restrictions against alternative app stores.

This shit awfully sounds like collusion.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
To be fair, there are a couple of big differences though but the irony isn't lost on me.
I don't disagree; it's not exactly the same.. but..

Quite familiar lol

Google really should just make an open policy like Valve does; they got big pubs back on the platform by just advertising your cut gets bigger when sales volume is massive.

But Google are sneaky fucks, and Valve really aren't.. so...

Last edited:

reksveks

Get the issue about the hotfix to the Google play store version.

But the following seems weird

Epic continues to breach its contractual obligations as gamers who downloaded the “unapproved” version of Fortnite can still make in-app purchases through Epic’s payment system outside Google Play, according to the complaint.

Are they complaining about users whom did download the hotfixed version but haven't yet updated or Google hasn't removed the app from their device.

Top Bottom