• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: Xbox silence at GDC isn't the full picture

Are people really trying to downplay the massive amounts of marketshare Sony fumbled away this generation. Microsoft has made enormous gains on Sony this generation especially in North America. Microsoft is in a great position going into this generation and they are not going to react to Sony. Microsoft has a plan and they are going to stick directly to it.
Haven't seen downplaying no. But some discussion about how the generation turned out, and how they basically have similar momentum going into next gen.

People actually acting as if Microsoft is somehow doing something wrong because they didn't reveal their system when they wanted them to is unbelievably laughable.

I guess it will really bother people when they actually find out that whether or not Microsoft showed up with an announced console at GDC, it won't make a damn bit of difference in the end, because only people like us care about this kind of stuff. Microsoft is likely busy getting real work done behind the scenes and then they will present the fruits of that labor when they are ready to.

The doomsayers are really a riot.

JJD

People actually acting as if Microsoft is somehow doing something wrong because they didn't reveal their system when they wanted them to is unbelievably laughable.

I guess it will really bother people when they actually find out that whether or not Microsoft showed up with an announced console at GDC, it won't make a damn bit of difference in the end, because only people like us care about this kind of stuff. Microsoft is likely busy getting real work done behind the scenes and then they will present the fruits of that labor when they are ready to.

The doomsayers are really a riot.

People are reacting like MS is doing something wrong because all rumors and leaks point to then doing things horribly wrong.

People want then to reveal sooner than later to hopefully deny all that crap.

I doubt anyone wants no used games, online only and kinect on every single game.

Nice spin you got there.

People are reacting like MS is doing something wrong because all rumors and leaks point to then doing things horribly wrong.

I doubt anyone wants no used games, online only and kinect on every single game.

Nice spin you got there.

Two ships passing in the night. "Nice spin there." I'd remind you to read the title of this thread prior to saying somebody is spinning. You're responding to something he's not at all talking about. He doesn't even mention those rumors- he is simply making the argument about the timing of the reveal and you go on a tirade about a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors.

JJD

Two ships passing in the night. "Nice spin there." I'd remind you to read the title of this thread prior to saying somebody is spinning. You're responding to something he's not at all talking about. He doesn't even mention those rumors- he is simply making the argument about the timing of the reveal and you go on a tirade about a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors.

Are you a mod? No? Then why are you moderating the thread?

I was answering to his claim that people act like something is wrong because MS didn't reveal their console when they wanted.

Strictly speaking that's not the topic of this thread too. Funny you didn't try to moderate that.

shandy706

...exclusive DLC for Destiny...

I'm sure this has been pointed out, or maybe I'm imagining it....

Doesn't Sony request/require extra or exclusive content if they don't get a simultaneous launch?? (when Microsoft gets a game first)

Did I imagine that? Was that a fact/rumor?

Are you a mod? No? Then why are you moderating the thread?

I was answering to his claim that people act like something is wrong because MS didn't reveal their console when they wanted.

Strictly speaking that's not the topic of this thread too. Funny you didn't try to moderate that.

If this is moderating, you're reading too much into it. I'm just mentioning how your completely nonsensical rant that had absolutely nothing to do with his post. If demonstrating the complete and utter logical fallacy of your argument is modding, by all means, I'm guilty.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm sure this has been pointed out, or maybe I'm imagining it....

Doesn't Sony request/require extra or exclusive content if they don't get a simultaneous launch?? (when Microsoft gets a game first)

Did I imagine that? Was that a fact/rumor?
It was the other way around.

This completely misses the forest for the trees. You're focusing on one small part of a very large whole and pretending it's the biggest factor going forward. It's not. It's only important for fanboys who like to point to lifetime sales and say my favourite console sold more than yours.
Wasn't it only less than 7 days ago where you vehemently denied that the PS3 surpassed the 360 in WW sales? Why so many posts on that topic a week ago if it doesn't matter?

SPDIF

I think they got rid of all those annoying gamers running things. But media boxes are the new hotness! (even though just about everything but a toaster can stream netflix nowadays).

It's not. Bill was still there in 2005, same for J Allard, Robbie Bach, and Peter Moore. I'm sure Ed Fries put some work into the 360 before leaving Microsoft in 2004.

Those men were all about games.

MS arguably has the 'biggest' 'gaming executive' in the industry in Don Mattrick. By that I mean he's actually a game developer (or at least used to be). Phil Harrison isn't exactly just some man in a suit either.

And yeah, Bill might have left, but at least Ballmer's still around..

JJD

If this is moderating, you're reading too much into it. I'm just mentioning how your completely nonsensical rant that had absolutely nothing to do with his post. If demonstrating the complete and utter logical fallacy of your argument is modding, by all means, I'm guilty.

How come answering one claim on his post is going on a rant that have nothing to do with his post?

Are serious? This is ridiculous.

He said people act like something is wrong because MS didn't reveal when people were expecting then too. He said that is laughable. He then says missing GDC won't matter.

I said that people act like that because of other motives. I don't care about his GDC argument, I don't need to refute every single point on his post to say something about it.

Obviously you're the one reading too much into it. Did I offend you when I criticized MS?

You either participate on my discussion with him or you don't. You don't get to choose which parts of his post I answer to.

Stop wasting my time and yours.

And why the US is more "stable"? I'm sorry if I don't take your word for it. At least give me your reasoning, you haven't given me anything to believe you until now.

I'll tell you why I think it's actually the opposite, Europe is more stable than the US.

When people realized on launch that the PS3 was a 600 dollars overpriced paper weight without good games, americans that waited for it, or were anticipating it, quickly jumped ship for good and bought millions of 360s.

As I said consumers want a good product and good service. And the 360 offered both of then. Brand loyalty wasn't strong enough to keep people waiting for the PS3, or buying it enough when it eventually released on America.

Europe on the other hand waited even more to get the PS3, suffered the same game drought US suffered and still embraced the PS3 over the 360. Brand loyalty is much stronger there than on the US. That's why the PS3 still dominates continental Europe and why it's a more "stable" region (whatever that means) IMO as far as the console market goes.

Sony's marketing on Europe is as bad as it is on the US. Sony didn't fuck up the american launch and got it right for Europe. They fucked there too. And people didn't care, buying more PS3s than 360s.

If Sony fucked the PS3 launch and following year so much and europeans still embraced it over the 360 (which offered better value and services at that time) do you really believe they have a big chance of jumping ship if Sony does things right with the PS4?

I doubt it. Brand loyalty is stronger on Europe than on the US, hence it's a more "stable" market (if that's what you meant. I'm still trying to figure what you were saying with all this "stable", "unstable" thing).

It's nothing to do with brand loyalty, it's simple economics.

A large portion of Mainland Europe is essentially in recession and under severe austerity. There's significant rising unemployment for young people, less job security, cost of living, etc rising, which results in far less disposable income to spend on things like £300+ games consoles.

The US relative to mainland Europe is far more stable, this is the reality. Brand loyalty, etc have nothing to do with my claim. You're looking at the situation from last generations perspective, don't. Look at the reality on the ground in a lot of mainland European countries, this is why the region/market as a whole is unstable and why it might see a real terms shrinkage throughout the generation.

This is obviously a shallow an empty statement just to defend one of their valuable business partners.

MS not showing or talking about the next Xbox at GDC was a HUGE mistake, no matter what Mark Rein says.
It just few pages ago
https://twitter.com/JonnyQu3st/status/317739413306236928

Julian Trutmann ‏@JonnyQu3st 1h

Met @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN at the Microsoft party last night. Having a great time at GDC this year.
https://twitter.com/nickchester/status/317518625781207040

Nick Chester
‏@nickchester
Loud Microsoft developer party is loud, but Suda51 is here and that makes everything better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51995298&postcount=254
EF9FJ6F.jpg

The amount of pre-judging with no facts or evidence is shocking. I'd hate to be involved in a court case judged by gaffers. "Guilty, kill him".. "but you haven't heard the case yet", "I don't need to. I just know".

slade

Sony have got thier shit together with the PS3 haven't they? Yet they're still being outsold in NA and the UK despite thier best efforts.

Main reason for that is because MS has reduced the price of the 360 right when it looked like the PS3 was gaining some momentum. Basically, they are doing to Sony what Sony did to them with the PS2. Sony has tried their best to reduce costs but MS just got to the mass market price point first. This may be less of a factor with the PS4 and next Xbox.

awa64

Banned
'Little premature party'? LOL. You mean the one that was all over the web and was featured on TV news programmes?

You mean the one where Sony announced their promises about what the PS4 might be like when they finish figuring out how to make it?

Hoo-doo

Banned
You mean the one where Sony announced their promises about what the PS4 might be like when they finish figuring out how to make it?

Let's all be terrible reductionists to bolster our arguments! Yay!

No seriously, you believe they have nothing and it was all talk?

awa64

Banned
Let's all be terrible reductionists to bolster our arguments! Yay!

No seriously, you believe they have nothing and it was all talk?

I believe they have the games that they showed in development. I believe they have a design for a controller that includes finally-fixed analog triggers, improved analog sticks, and a giant trackpad for some reason. I believe the performance targets for the games they showed running on off-the-shelf PC guts are plausible.

I don't believe what they've said about streaming downloads of games or streaming video from games until I see it in action. I'm excited to see it in action, but... well, my PS3 doesn't have two HDMI outputs, the ability to run background applications, the ability to act as an internet hub, The Last Guardian, Agent, or hardware backwards-compatibility, and those are all things Sony promised to PS3 owners...

Alx

Among the many things they mentioned during their show, there are things they were very cautious to announce as a "nice to have but far from ready" feature (especially all the cloud gaming part), and others where they seemed quite confident (like streaming gameplay to other users).
Even if it's always possible that even reasonable features get the cut in the end, we shouldn't put everything in the same category. There are some features that we can expect to be included at some time in the life of the PS4, and others that we shouldn't count on but would rejoice if they manage to implement them.

dose

but... well, my PS3 doesn't have two HDMI outputs, the ability to run background applications,
I have no idea where this background apps thing is from, you have a link to back this up?
or hardware backwards-compatibility, and those are all things Sony promised to PS3 owners...
Umm, the original PS3 model was backwards compatible.
The fact is, we're talking about PS4 promises, not what they talked about for the PS3 about 8 years ago.

No, no, MS makes Kinect. Not Sony.
Haha yep, this.

awa64

Banned
I have no idea where this background apps thing is from, you have a link to back this up?

Sure.

I may have misspoke slightly--they promised second apps running concurrently on second screens. Backround apps is the obvious fallback for when they lost the ability to output to a second screen, but that didn't happen either.

Umm, the original PS3 model was backwards compatible.

And if you didn't buy the $600 model in the first six months, tough noogies. Similar situation for other-OS support--hell, Sony's the first company I've seen that updates their products to *disable* major features.

The fact is, we're talking about PS4 promises, not what they talked about for the PS3 about 8 years ago.

The fact is, Sony has a track record of overpromising and underdelivering, especially when dealing with the announcement of a product that's the better part of a year away.

Haha yep, this.

There's a difference between "Here's a new technology, and here's what we think it will be able to do eventually" videos like Microsoft's Project Natal demos from before Kinect had its current name, and announcing a specific product and specific product features that utterly fail to materialize.

Haha yep, this.

Yep what? Yep Microsoft was successful with Kinect? Or Yep Sony just copied Microsoft's successful product by updating the Eye Toy to behave remarkably similar to Kinect? But yeah, it's just Microsoft that's focused on motion gaming. Unless you count the fact that Sony now has waggle sticks and a hands-free gaming device. Nintendo and Microsoft only have one. Sounds like Sony's doubling down on motion gaming.

Alx

I think they meant that Microsoft promised with kinect features that they couldn't deliver... which isn't true either, since everything that was shown in the Natal videos has been done in kinect games at one point or another (although for a few of them they kind of "cheated" with kinect labs ; things like object scanning never went further than funny tech demos).

Nice spin you got there.

I don't care about used games as I've only bought one in my life, and it's only because I was especially desperate to get a game that Gamestop no longer had new copies of. I would just like the ability to sometimes lend my games to my friends or family. As long as whatever they are doing doesn't impact my ability to do that, I could care less about the death of the used games market after that.

Nothing about anything that we've seen from the leaks (legitimate looking leaks, such as what vgleaks has shown us, not completely unsubstantiated website rumors) solidly suggests that Microsoft's console would be online only and without any offline play. They are referring to an extension of the always connected experience that now currently exists on the Xbox 360. We are technically "online" even when playing a singleplayer title if we're connected to our xbox live accounts. Microsoft also specifically cite the purpose to be for always keeping games and the system updated. In other words, it would be always on like my FIOS TV receiver or like my Apple TV is unless I specifically decide to plug those two devices out. That's really all it sounds like to me.

But entertaining the thought of no online, or a system of some kind where a player has to check in online at least once every 5 days or so, I already don't use any of my in home online devices without online, so the new Xbox possibly requiring an online connection of some kind would be absolutely no problem at all for me. My computer is always online and I never use it without it being online. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did, barring some rare service interruptions that have never lasted a day and are extremely rare right now as it is. My TV in my bedroom and in my living are always online 100% of the time, even while turned off. Why would the new Xbox being always online somehow be a problem for a person like me? So even should that be true, I have absolutely no issues at all with always online internet devices. My life practically revolves around them as we speak. Xbox Live is also pretty reliable. I don't play online, but I haven't encountered very many instances where the service is somehow unavailable to me.

With regards to Kinect being required for the console to work. Honestly, why I should give a damn if Microsoft somehow wants it to be a core part of the new xbox user experience? Does this mean the controller is on its way out for good, or that most games will be using Kinect primarily? I don't see that. I see this as more Microsoft wanting to have a very high quality looking Kinect driven xbox user interface experience. It doesn't mean the controller is somehow off limits to us. And Kinect only games scare the living hell out of me just as much as the next guy, but Kinect as a guaranteed standard on all next gen xbox consoles I think has exciting potential. Kinect, if used right, can be used pretty damn effectively as an extension of the traditional controller. It's far more worthwhile this time around for developers to try and do something meaningful with Kinect, and that might lead to some exciting and potentially very clever uses. Are you afraid of big bad Microsoft watching you? I guess I should be afraid about Samsung watching me in my living room and bedroom then, since both of those televisions come with built in cameras. In the world that we live in today where so many consumer electronics devices are coming with a built in camera of some kind, is it really that off limits for Microsoft to want to do the same. I sure hope you realize that Sony seem to be pushing the ps4 with a camera, too, and are seemingly going to be offering Kinect style features of their own, and, conveniently, some minor details aren't exactly answered about the how of those plans, what's required, what's not required etc.

And if we're being totally fair, Sony has been asked about used games before and they, for whatever reason at times, couldn't give a straight answer. They were dancing around it and even contradicting each other. Now that may or may not mean anything in the end, but what it does show is that Sony were/are thinking about it themselves, just like Microsoft I'm certain are as well. Now, again, I personally don't care if the used games market dies, I just want there to be some way that I can approve games that I own to be played by my friends or family, even if on a limited basis of some kind that I can manage. I'm sure there's some system that they could design involving xbox live and people on your friends list, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Top Bottom