• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic's Fortnite: first game to use Unreal Engine 4 (PC) [Up3: Panel Video (down)]

Antiochus

The stylized, cartoon look receives almost no upgrade from the new engine. There is literally no discernible difference between the Unreal 3 and Unreal 4 screenshots. Perhaps even Unreal 2.5 would have sufficed without any second glances.

I get that it's on UE4 but do you guys think that the minimum requirements will actually end up being pretty low? From the look of the game it seems like something that would scale pretty well.

The only thing Sweeney has said when it comes to UE4 is that it needs a DX11 GPU. That's apparently the only hard requirement.

However when separating the art style (which I like) from the other things shown in the comparison pictures, I think there is a big difference between the two pics.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I haven't seen the video yet, but going by the screens I think it looks gorgeous. Not too hot on the character art, but UE4's lighting is beautiful. It looks clean, soft and vibrant like I'd expect an animated CG film to look.

Nibel

The art design looks ok, nothing special; but the visuals themselves such as the lighting etc. looks incredible; has a Pixar/CGI look..

Sinistral

I like the concept of the game, so for that I'm looking forward to it. Have not seen the video but from those screens, the visuals are impressive I feel. The Highlights and Bloom are isolated and controlled. The DOF is natural, and what little character motion blur in the shots show, also looks to be more tame and correct.

My biggest gripes with UE3 were those "post" effects, and am looking forward to seeing UE4 polish those. That, and I'm glad Epic is leading the charge with a more stylized game next gen. One could say Gears of War set a rather... bland precedent. Style over Realism for me.

Exclusive: Epic Considering Always Online For Fortnite - RPS

At this stage, Jessen told me, a constant Internet connection requirement ala Diablo is still a possibility. She assured, however, that it’d be used first and foremost to improve the game – not as a last line of defense against piracy’s nighttime pillages.

“That’s something we don’t know yet,” Jessen explained to RPS. “It’s gonna be really dependent on gameplay, and it’s also dependent on platform – the method of getting updates and stuff like that. So I can’t say for sure today one way or another [whether or not we're going to use it].”

She added, however, that Fortnite is – above all else – being designed with multiplayer at the forefront, so whatever goes with that territory is fair game.

“Fortnite is a game that’s being developed as a co-op experience primarily,” she said. “That’s our number one focus. This is a game you’re gonna want to play with your friends, and it’s most fun with your friends. So whatever we decide to do there is gonna be more relevant to the most fun experience you can have with your friends [than it is to piracy]. But I can’t nail that down today.”

Xdrive05

I haven't seen the video yet, but going by the screens I think it looks gorgeous. Not too hot on the character art, but UE4's lighting is beautiful. It looks clean, soft and vibrant like I'd expect an animated CG film to look.

Very well put.

Assets-wise it looks no better than UE3 imo. But the lightning really does a lot for it. The CG film analogy is great--yes, soft and vibrant. I for one welcome this rendering focus.

I can see how there is a Wii-U/current gen version of this engine. Reducing the lightning quality pretty much makes it UE3 level, thus doable. Late gen UE4 games might be a different story though...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I hope the DRM doesn't interfere with this game being mod-friendly. That's a really cool element in both games people are comparing this to, TF2 and Minecraft.

dLMN8R

Well if the game was going to be free-to-play, then always-on is an undeniable given. Neither has been confirmed yet though, of course.

Actually, I have to agree with him to an extent. The chosen UnrealEngine 3 and Unreal Engine 4 screenshots are pretty damn similar in appearance, and nothing immediately jumps out at me as "oh yeah, this could only have been done on the newer technology". My understanding is that the engine's biggest feature, removing static lighting in favor of purely dynamic lighting, is not a feature that will carry well to still shots.

I sincerely doubt it could be done on UnrealEngine 2, though, unless you heavily modified it a la BioShock.

i-Lo

The stylized, cartoon look receives almost no upgrade from the new engine. There is literally no discernible difference between the Unreal 3 and Unreal 4 screenshots. Perhaps even Unreal 2.5 would have sufficed without any second glances.

These are early days yet.

The two immediately apparent differences that I have found are:

1. Shadow quality

2. Bokeh

The rest are difficult to discern due to art style and very limited dev time of the game. In fact iirc, during the press show they said that the demo was still mostly running off of UE3.

Apparently GT took down the panel video as one of their competitors whined about GT having it and they didn't even though that was completely their own fault for not recording it.

Cmagus

Dunno if this has been posted yet I searched but couldn't find it but here is a video of the game in action from back in October. It looks really nice and the game play is pretty cool.

Fortnite Demo (cam) From Dragon Con (Thanks Kaioshade)

Fortnite Footage

kaioshade

Dunno if this has been posted yet I searched but couldn't find it but here is a video of the game in action from back in October. Not sure where it is from but it looks really nice and the game play is pretty cool.

Fortnite Demo (cam)

Fortnite Footage

That is the footage that was shown at Dragon con this year. But still cool to see the game in some state.

Eideka

Banned
That is the footage that was shown at Dragon con this year. But still cool to see the game in some state.

Looks like utter garbage. They are seriously trying to sell this crap to the PC audience ? Fuck, they should have ported Gears 2/3 on PC instead.

That said I can't wait until they reveal their "real" big new IP, possibly at the E3 2013 MS conference.

GlamFM

Banned
Ever since this game was announced I´m super excited for it.

Reminds me of building forts out of basically anything with my brother as a kid to defend against "monsters", something I alway wish Minecraft was better at.

Also:

Wario64
Banned
(07-12-2012, 08:02 PM)

Banned for real this time? What did I miss?

Top Bottom