• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic's Fortnite: first game to use Unreal Engine 4 (PC) [Up3: Panel Video (down)]

Does anyone else think Epic is milking the "PC exclusive" line for now just to try and earn back some PC gamer cred?

We all know this is coming to the next consoles. It's just a matter of there being more platforms to run UE4.

patapuf

Does anyone else think Epic is milking the "PC exclusive" line for now just to try and earn back some PC gamer cred?

We all know this is coming to the next consoles. It's just a matter of there being more platforms to run UE4.

they've already said that it may end up on other platforms. They are not milking anything.

Dali

Yeah I'm sure Epic was worried about their, "PC gamer cred", lol. Its just marketing, dude. Its PC exclusive for the foreseeable future so no point in not taking advantage and marketing it to PC gamers as a game exclusively for that platform even if its exclusivity may just be by grace of no consoles capable of running UE4 being released for another year or 2.

Dyno

PC is what they know it can run on so that's what they can promise. If they are going the F2P model then they have to make special deals with Sony and Microsoft. That obviously hasn't been done yet which is why it isn't mentioned.

I don't think mature companies worry about cred. Profitability is a more relevant concern.

SparkTR

Probably, but on a deeper level than just PR talk it seems like they've been looking at what appeals to gamers on that platform and taking that into design and development consideration, stuff like TF2, Minecraft, DayZ and L4D. If they make a good PC game, that's all that matters. Now all we need is F2P.

Probably, but on a deeper level than just PR talk it seems like they've been looking at what appeals to gamers on that platform and taking that into design and development consideration, stuff like TF2, Minecraft, DayZ and L4D. If they make a good PC game, that's all that matters. Now all we need is F2P.

This is true.

All of those games are boring as fuck visually, so yeah they should. More games should be like L4DII, realisitic with a touch of flair that makes the models in that game shit on everything.

I'll just completely disagree with you and walk away. I couldn't disagree with you any more if I tried. Like, I'll have to agree with everything from this point on today because you used up all the disagree I had.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This looks cool and all, but makes it seem like Epic were lying when they were saying you have to have a 1TF GPU to have UE4 game running on it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Are there any F2P games on consoles? Because this is pretty much guaranteed to be F2P at this point.

patapuf

Whats the catch with F2P games? Developers must get their money back somehow

largely depends on the developper and the games, most sell you stuff ingame, this can range from purely cosmetic things (like dota 2), exp bonuses or even weapons and other stuff that is stronger than the free stuff

I'll just completely disagree with you and walk away. I couldn't disagree with you any more if I tried. Like, I'll have to agree with everything from this point on today because you used up all the disagree I had.

I can give you GTAIV and RDR they have great esthetic (GTA for its humor, and RDR for its overal world). So i take back what i said in regards to them, they do fun takes on real world with a little flair.

COD is just bland as fuck.

are you saying L4DII doesnt look good or it isnt the best (it is, or really damn close to witcher II)

DocSeuss

Not all that interested in an F2P game, so I'm hoping it's a full title.

Would like footage of a 20 minute gameplay session.

H3xum

They're saying PC exclusive for now so they can show it running at its highest rez.

It'll be out on consoles, but not til next gen, devs aren't allowed to show games running on that hardware yet, thus the PC exclusive for now.

I can see it being Nextbox only, tho

I really appreciate the art style

F2P horde game would be hard to sell. Joe hops into an online game after spending a ton of money on great fortification abilities and such and I'm in the game with him too not spending a dime and we lose because of that. Joe is mad and stops buying things/playing

SparkTR

This could be done on an older engine right? What are the advantages for the dev to develop it with UE4?

A prior preview vid from back in January showed building destruction. Knowing how UE4 is so focused on physics and particles and whatnot, it makes sense to use this engine I'd say. Plus they can showcase those new lighting effects.

apana

The demo was fantasy and this is colorful/cartoony, I think they are trying to fight against certain perceptions people have about their engine. They don't want to seem one note.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
F2P horde game would be hard to sell. Joe hops into an online game after spending a ton of money on great fortification abilities and such and I'm in the game with him too not spending a dime and we lose because of that. Joe is mad and stops buying things/playing

no, devs don't do F2P like that. They make sure that a lot of people play their game, so they balance it and make it fun to be sure that "whales" like the guy you've described are happy.

I hope this turns out to be closer to Minecraft or DayZ than just being another Tower Defense game or Horde Mode. I'm also hoping for a character creator but it looks like we might get stuck with the pre-baked characters in the promo shots.

StevieP

Banned

I asked the question earlier in the thread and didn't get an answer: has Microsoft started allowing f2p yet? Because if not, this statement makes no sense.

Rokal

Loving the art-style for this. If this ends up being Epic's first next-gen game, it would certainly be setting out on a more promising foot than UE3 did.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This could be done on an older engine right? What are the advantages for the dev to develop it with UE4?

The advantage for Epic is they can use this game to finetune their engine. Plus UE4 has a faster workflow so it might even speed up the development process.

H3xum

no, devs don't do F2P like that. They make sure that a lot of people play their game, so they balance it and make it fun to be sure that "whales" like the guy you've described are happy.

That sounds well and good but uhhhh....how?

Matchmaking only with people who spend money? Doubtful

patapuf

It's not like coop F2P games are a new thing. you can sell everything from exp boosts to equipment, to cosmetic stuff and if the game is good it will sell.

we don't know how it plays yet, if it's focused on building suff minecraft style as well as survival i don't see this being a simple horde mode.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

that sounds how pretty much all western F2P games work. Have you played one?

It's not like coop F2P games are a new thing. you can sell everything from exp boosts to equipment, to cosmetic stuff and if the game is good it will sell.

we don't know how it plays yet, if it's focused on building suff minecraft style as well as survival i don't see this being a simple horde mode.

also yes, Warface has a horde mode.

Top Bottom