• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic's Tim Sweeney: Lifelike Graphics Will Happen During Our Lifetimes

Massa

The game industry (and movie industry) is stuck in the 90's on so many levels it's not even funny. The fact that we're still trying to tech our way out of the 90's mentality is testament that we're still stuck there.

This is a tech guy talking about tech. You're jumping to conclusions.

First-Pixar-3D-Animation-Ever-1.jpg

ape1.jpg

20XX
071610battery.jpg
??

TedNindo

I do not want to shoot lifelike people.

That's not just about graphics though. I'm sure that if current games had enemies that reacted frightened and tried to hide from you. Or if enemies would beg you for their life or went into shock because of bullet wounds you had inflicted hardly anyone would finish the game.
I'm sure they can do it on current technology, but who would play it?
At the moment games aren't much more then a shooting gallery. If enemies died more realisticly and acted in a more realistic fashion most people would be puking after 5 minutes of uncharted.

Do we really want reality-level graphical quality though?

Videogames aren't just about being games in a traditional sense. People also like experiencing what they can't in real life. It's fun to do things that would be dangerous in real life for instance and not being in actual danger. Or visiting a period in the past that looks foto realistic. We might technically not be able to go back in time. But we could simulate it.

And considering that we experience most of life and it's experiences through our eyesight the visuals of an experience are very important to how our brain interprets it.

zroid

Banned
Blech. More realistic graphics are the last thing I want. How about you developers out there try using your artistic talents to conceive unique visual experiences instead of rehashing the real world in your games.

If I wanted to stare at something that looks lifelike, I can turn my head *away* from the TV.

That's not just about graphics though. I'm sure that if current games had enemies that reacted frightened and tried to hide from you. Or if enemies would beg you for their life or went into shock because of bullet wounds you had inflicted hardly anyone would finish the game.
I'm sure they can do it on current technology, but who would play it?
At the moment games aren't much more then a shooting gallery. If enemies died more realisticly and acted in a more realistic fashion most people would be puking after 5 minutes of uncharted.

This is basically what I was getting at. I agree that realistic graphics do not equal realistic situations. I do think it's something worth giving some thought to.

Tellaerin

It's kind of sad to think that as computing power increases, we'll probably still be doing the same stuff in games that we have all along, just with prettier graphics. More lifelike graphics aren't a bad thing, but speaking as someone whose first game console was the Telstar Arcade, I think that the graphics we've got today are already pretty damn realistic.

I'm more interested in seeing big advances in AI - I'd love to play a game where the plot isn't preset, but evolves as the NPC's interact with one another and the player character, with dynamically-generated dialogue and speech recognition that would enable you to carry on real conversations. I'd rather play a game like that, set in a huge, persistent world, with 2012-level graphics, than a Modern Warfare game with graphics that are indistinguishable from movie footage. That's how I'd ideally like to see developers harness the added computing power as systems become more powerful, though I know I'm probably in the minority on that.

Cartman86

Banned
Don't pretend like there isn't a difference between passively watching a character completely separate from yourself and your identity commit an action and you deciding to and carrying out the act of killing what is indistinguishable from a real human being. And don't think the medium in which the killing is carried out makes a difference. Drone operators half-way around the world get PTSD from pressing buttons to launch rockets at their targets.

The key point here is that they are killing real people, and they know that. Yeah if you created a scenario where someone was told they are operating a real drone and they were shooting real people (if the graphics were 100% real) then yeah they would probably experience the same thing real drone operators do. That's a very specific use case though. We don't know what control interfaces will be like in the future. We don't know if you will just plug your brain in like The Matrix or if we will be using motion technology with high def TV's still.

The key point here is that they are killing real people, and they know that. Yeah if you created a scenario where someone was told they are operating a real drone and they were shooting real people (if the graphics were 100% real) then yeah they would probably experience the same thing real drone operators do. That's a very specific use case though. We don't know what control interfaces will be like in the future. We don't know if you will just plug your brain in like The Matrix or if we will be using motion technology with high def TV's still.
As awesome as that would be, it is practically unthinkable based on our current understanding of science... still, we might be closer in a few thousand years! Though some ultra-immersive technologies such as contact lenses with built in LEDs aren't beyond the realms of possibility in the near future.

Raw graphical processing, as in geometry and texture detail with a boat load of shaders and post processing, simulating a convincing realistic image? Yeah, I can see it.

But it's the dynamics that will be required to bridge the uncanny valley. I'm not so much worried about the above, but instead how lively, life like and convincing the way game environments react to interaction. Same goes for animation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I could see us creating life like images that have a tendency to fall apart in motion (as in, when interacting with them). I'd love to be wrong though.

This. There need to be significant improvements not just to textures and resolution but als to physics, animation, environment interactivity, and AI simulation before we start to crawl back out of the valley.

squidyj

As awesome as that would be, it is practically unthinkable based on our current understanding of science... still, we might be closer in a few thousand years! Though some ultra-immersive technologies such as contact lenses with built in LEDs aren't beyond the realms of possibility in the near future.

I think you'd need to use low power ultrafine lasers to get that done, anything like an LED would just wind up like a blurry mess and trying to focus on it would cause all sorts of health problems.

I think there's actually a lot of really interesting things in regard to Kinect style tech that could be used to seriously enhance our experience of playing games. Already we have things like head and eye-tracking which can provide an increased level of immersion by managing camera position and focal point. It's not just about visual features either, imagine a voluptuous female character on screen that knows when you're staring at her chest, or when you're looking off-screen talking to someone else ignoring her. Imagine an animation system that tracks your head so characters that are speaking to you are generating the right amount of eye contact with you even while you move around the room. Let's take it further though, so much of our communication is nonverbal and nonspecific, various facial expressions for example are universal across the entire species and others are consistent within a culture. To read and react to these doesn't require the same level of technological expertise as it would to carry on a conversation about something so mundane even as the weather.

Jtrizzy

Not to rain on the AI parade, but if you watch the presentation, he says that improved AI isn't something we are all that close to.

He described the current problems in terms of the ones we understand, and therefore can fix, and the ones we don't understand and will be the most difficult. AI and realistic animation was one he described that we don't understand yet.

Row

Banned
while the tech will be here sooner rather than later, we're probably a long ways away from it being feasible to make a game with it due to costs

toy story still looks better than any game that's been put out

This wasn't really real-time. The display hardware at the time couldn't even display the whole frame, they ended up taking long-exposure Polaroids off the screen and using that to transfer to film to show the animation.

This isn't close to real-time either. :p
I was deciding on whether to post real time stuff or pre-rendered but I decided to post those because they were the same size; don't be so harsh on me. That was a tongue in cheek post, all I wanted was to joke about the matrix. :p

Had to shut it down when he said Samaritan and a Crysis 2 screen popped up. Please tell me that he corrects that I not dare to watch.

Dan Yo

Banned
I used to believe this would happen. But then the Wii came out. We won't see the jumps like we used to and console manufacturers will be less likely to sell their systems at a loss.

The events of this generation have effectively slowed down tech advancement in gaming to a large degree. The cycles are now longer and the jumps will now be smaller.

okenny

Banned
This doesn't seem far fetched to me at all. In fact, I think it will happen in the next 20 years (given I believe we can get twice as fast within a two year period).

Top Bottom