• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney emailed Gabe Newell calling Valve 'you assholes' over Steam policies, to which Valve's COO simply replied 'you mad bro?'

Cyberpunkd

Tim Sweeney is right that the 30% tax is absolutely ridiculous given what these services offer which is not much.
Can you provide us with your analysis and cost breakdown of operating a store such as Steam instead of shitposting “which is not much”?

Just Asking Rachelle Lefevre GIF by Proven Innocent

Cyberpunkd

That tells you all you need to know about how much it costs to run a friggin’ digital store….

Try again. I would for sure imagine Valve having less employee bloat than Google, who throws shit at the wall to see what sticks. Also - what does Facebook and X need thousands of engineers for?

Sleepwalker

See:

That post sums it up if you don’t agree with what I consider “consumer friendly”

Steam's DRM is dogshit, most of the times you can bypass it by deleting a file on your computer. It's not denuvo.

Second hand market on PC? What second hand market? PC prices are better than even second hand console prices (which don't offer alternatives at all for digital games). Eneba, Greenmangaming, cdkeys etc are more often than not cheaper than console discounts or steam sales but you cannot get a PS5 game code at eneba, I wonder why that is?

Valve has less than 400 employees, expecting them to be Apple is hilarious.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Too much truth for one post?

Stanning for Steam is the gaming equivalent of claiming Walmart is the best company in existence

Steam is fine. Most progressive tech company though? That’s a big laugh from me, dawg.

Mr. Sony over here talking about “stanning”.

Without Steam in the picture, Epic would turn PC gaming into a console style ghetto with paid cloud and online subscriptions.
They wouldn’t have implemented refunds. They still haven’t bothered to implement any sort of VR functionality or controller compatibility.

Acting like they’re all interchangeable is just plain ignorance.

theHFIC

Source?

Why is Epic the only competitor to Steam?
Because Steam has the most complete platform available on PC. It is one of those "If you come at the king, you better not miss" scenarios and all Epic loves doing is throwing money at various misses in gaming technology until they hope that something sticks.

GOG is a decent competitor too though but they also know their current role in the digital storefront landscape.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The tech industry is pretty big

When I think of great companies in that space, none of them are glorified walled garden digital storefront beneficiaries that merely take a transactional cut. At least Apple also makes great physical products with great software

Steam could go away tomorrow and the industry would be just fine on some other platform

Go back to Lost island, Sawyer, your brain clearly got rattled when you left.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If he responds back again I hope he hits him with the “Bro, you mad?”

Classic additive.

cjp

Article says that reply was sent only back to Newell and Johnson internally, not Sweeney.

The next day Valve's Scott Lynch simply sends this email to both Gabe Newell and Erik Johnson with one-line commentary: "You mad bro?"

Edit: nvm, been pointed out.

Last edited:

Sonik

Can you provide us with your analysis and cost breakdown of operating a store such as Steam instead of shitposting “which is not much”?

Seriously? You don't need to be a fucking expert to calculate that they expenses can't be too much. They only host the game files on their servers and some relatively low quality videos, which are probably their biggest expenses other than workforce and R&D. 30% for that is fucking robbery, yes Steam is an excellent service but it's still annoying that they're ripping off developers, especially indie ones

Topher

Gold Member
Seriously? You don't need to be a fucking expert to calculate that they expenses can't be too much. They only host the game files on their servers and some relatively low quality videos, which are probably their biggest expenses other than workforce and R&D. 30% for that is fucking robbery, yes Steam is an excellent service but it's still annoying that they're ripping off developers, especially indie ones

Isn't 30% pretty much the standard for most stores outside of EGS?

Senua

30% for putting your game onto the largest online gaming store out there, (sans mobile?) If they don't like it they can go to epic with a much lesser percentage and sell 10 games

Sonik

Isn't 30% pretty much the standard for most stores outside of EGS?

Yes and it's bullshit, at least consoles are physical and need pretty big R&D costs, they are a huge risk and they're often even losing money with each console sold, what risks do online storefronts have?

30% for putting your game onto the largest online gaming store out there, (sans mobile?) If they don't like it they can go to epic with a much lesser percentage and sell 10 games

Congrats, you're bragging for Valve having a monopoly. It's because of people like you that corporations are ripping everyone off

Senua

Yes and it's bullshit, at least consoles are physical and need pretty big R&D costs, they are a huge risk and they're often even losing money with each console sold, what risks do online storefronts have?

Congrats, you're bragging for Valve having a monopoly. It's because of people like you that corporations are ripping everyone off
I'm not bragging lol it's just reality.

Topher

Gold Member

Valve took some big R&D risks with Steam Deck. Linux gaming has come a long way with their support. I think you are to easy to hand out excuses to mega-billion, trillion dollar corporations who lay folks off when profit margins take a dip. Seriously....if I'm going to get high and mighty about anything then I'll start there and then come down to Valve's level.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Except Nintendo makes a profit on every Switch sold, as does Sony, while making YOU pay for Cloud Storage and online gaming. Oh, and Sony sells advertising space on your console do they not?

Talk about getting ripped off. You excuse it.

Valve a much smaller company makes a portable gaming PC and a VR headset.
So big R&D costs right? Right??

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Dude is missing the point of the free market

Capitalism is a jungle. Beautiful and brutal. Embrace it or get the fuck out

Sonik

Valve took some big R&D risks with Steam Deck. Linux gaming has come a long way with their support. I think you are to easy to hand out excuses to mega-billion, trillion dollar corporations who lay folks off when profit margins take a dip. Seriously....if I'm going to get high and mighty about anything then I'll start there and then come down to Valve's level.
Except Nintendo makes a profit on every Switch sold, as does Sony, while making YOU pay for Cloud Storage and online gaming. Oh, and Sony sells advertising space on your console do they not?

You guys need to read my original post again, I'm not saying that Valve isn't a great company or I don't prefer it over Epic, I'm saying that the 30% split is absolutely ridiculous

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You guys need to read my original post again, I'm not saying that Valve isn't a great company or I don't prefer it over Epic, I'm saying that the 30% split is absolutely ridiculous

It’s the industry standard.

Epic can’t even sell gift cards because their 18% cut is too small to do them. Screw that. Take a bigger cut, and cater to your users.

Last edited:

Durin

Neo Member
The tech industry is pretty big

When I think of great companies in that space, none of them are glorified walled garden digital storefront beneficiaries that merely take a transactional cut. At least Apple also makes great physical products with great software

Steam could go away tomorrow and the industry would be just fine on some other platform

Apple makes a great physical product at about the same cadence that Valve makes a new game, not that often anymore. Beyond going ARM with their M chips being a smart choice, everything else about them has been iterative boring hardware since Steve Jobs died. Their VR headset barely innovates anything, their hardware breaks more than people would admit, and they're still anti-consumer to moon on top of most of their product line being overpriced. Valve has done more to make the platform better through software services (Steam Input, Proton, Big Picture Mode, etc.) that actually add value other competing companies don't, while I can't think of a single piece of new software in the last decade Apple made that wasn't done better by a third-party.

Valve isn't without criticism, but pretty much all tech companies that aren't the major hardware makers for fundamental components like semidconductors could die, and the market would adapt fine because there is competition in every major space.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

They don't have a monopoly, they do have the best service, and have built loyalty over decades of excellent service.
They are way out on top, but there are a ton of other stores out there that have in general failed to compete on the quality of service they offer.
Steam doesn't even have a monopoly on selling games for steam.

LordCBH

The other companies should try harder to make appealing services.
Epic? Still trash
EA? Still trash
Ubisoft launcher? Still trash
Blizzard launcher? Still trash
Hell even the Xbox PC app is still not very good.

Having a monopoly isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but abusing it is.

StereoVsn

Steam pushed the entire industry into DRM-by-default, online-by-default even for single player games, eliminated the secondhand market, and can take anyway anything and everything you've purchased leased from their store for violating arbitrary and capricious rules or for no reason at all. It's evil.

But they support a lot of Linux development, so that's nice.
What the heck are you talking about? Steamworks does not require always online. Steam doesn’t require DRM. And the DRM the Steamworks introduces can be readily hacked.

StereoVsn

Why should Valve, a small company by headcount be the "PC first party" though? They are not a platform holder, they don't own "PC" but simply are a storefront. They produce hardware in the form of the index and the steam deck. They released their last game (HL: Alyx) the same year Naughty Dog released their last original non remaster game. In fact, they could release 1-2 games per decade and be at the same cadence as most triple A studios.

They are not the equivalent of Sony and MS in the console space. And even if they were, their refund policy and regional pricing makes them far more consumer friendly than the former 2.
Yep, Valve has under 1,000 people now days, probably significantly less. That’s smaller than Ubisoft head count for latest AC game, and Valve headcount is for everything they do (Steam customer service is I think outsourced).

Fbh

Why though?
One could make the argument for something like PSN or iOS since they are walled gardens where you don't have an option.
PC is an open platform, if the service and platform that Valve is providing isn't worth a 30% cut then devs/publishers are free to not release there.

Also everyone keeps saying how easy it is to make an online store and how valve is doing nothing special. But somehow every other PC storefront is kinda crap and doesn't even come close to having the same features and functionalities as Steam

Hey Tim, when you fuckwads were bitching and moaning about PC gamers and labeling them pirates while shifting focus to console development during the 360/PS3 era.. Valve was building up the best gaming store/client to ever exist. They've earned their ability to do fuck all but laugh while you struggle.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Because of the 30% cut.

as i said.
Its steams price to set. I don't see the issue. More developers are making more money on steam than epic. It's not even close.

You're also forgetting all the money epic are spending to give away games.

Last edited:
Its steams price to set. I don't see the issue. More developers are making more money on steam than epic. It's not even close.
the only issue i see, is people and "pundits" talking/analyzing/commentating what's going on with the industry (including this) seem to forget how fucking important is that 30% cut.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

The Simpsons GIF

Top Bottom