• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

As much as Paul deserves it, he clearly does not give a fuck about being repeatedly owned. Face it, we're not going to get visual confirmation of him crying to his momma, however fun it may be to imagine so. Let's just settle for him never working in this business again and be done with it.

it's disturbing how a self-delusional personality will no longer be penalized by a shaming tactic. After all, he is far from the only human being in the West to have these delusions.

I don't condemn PA in this, but the whole 'evil smile' doesn't work when the target doesn't comprehend the message. So either way: in Paul's mind, Paul wins. PA should just call it a day, really.
(he is scum in my book though and fully deserves the penalty, but the sanction used doesn't work on someone so far from actual reality)

His point is that what's most popular isn't really indicative of maturity or class. I'm a PA fan, for the record.

Totally get that but I think it's just childish to get into a thread about a topic you don't like just to say that you don't like it. It adds nothing to the discussion, especially if you're closed to any kind of openness about the subject.

EDIT:

So you're saying that this is exactly how two grown adults should act? Instead of taking the high road, and moving on with their lives, instead they should Internet bully some douchebag?

I love pranks and hate idiots. Plus I'm a child at heart and it doesn't hurt anyone so, why not?

DarkKyo

So you're saying that this is exactly how two grown adults should act? Instead of taking the high road, and moving on with their lives, instead they should Internet bully some douchebag?

Yes they are the bully/badguy, not the guy threatening them with physical violence.

Twinduct

Mike and Jerry are actually similar to Kevin Smith with regards to their particular style of dickishness. Kevin Smith is an absolute saint around his fans, very humble and thankful, which is evidenced by the multitude of QA's he hosts. But if you get on his bad side...he'll tear you a knew asshole. And both Mike and Jerry have said a number of times that if pushed, they can and will become serious dicks. So it's not like they're exactly playing the victim here.

Basically they only fuck with people if they feel they really deserve it. But I mean, these are the same guys who started Child's Play, there are seriously plenty of worse people out there in the world.

Lol Nice. I love Kevin Smith, but god that guy has some balls. Coming back for more lol

MC Safety

Yes they are the bully/badguy, not the guy threatening them with physical violence.

Everyone involved is an idiot, but you would think the Penny Arcade guys would know better. After all, they're the ones who grew up bullied and became bullies themselves. They're also remarkably self-aware what with their funny comic strip and all.

At this point, the Penny Arcade guys are just kicking at a crippled guy's cane. And you have to ask yourself, at this point they are doing all this over what?

JambiBum

Except they didn't bully him. He could have ignored the pictures and left it alone. Proving that he learned from his mistake and probably gaining some respect back. Instead he decided to prove everyone wrong by saying that he was at pax and had the pictures to prove it. He took the bait, he made the choice to try to seem like a badass again. It's his fault.

obonicus

People make jokes about the following:

...basically, grow up. The world is fucked up, and things will offend you. Don't get on your high horse and shit on someone because they made light of an otherwise dark crime. There's one thing to joke about the nature of a crime, and another to joke about a victim or specific event. Their joke was lighthearted and intended no harm or ill will on anyone. Get over it :)

The real hilarious thing is that what made Gabe take a step back was when some idiot made a rather unfunny joke that someone should kill his family. At that point he's like 'whoa, man, some things you shouldn't joke about'. In other words, see Stewart Lee's bit on Top Gear.

DerrickH

Neo Member
This should have died months ago. I don't see the point of keeping it going except to lord it over the guy. Gabe and Tycho have an extremely successful comic strip, they run a charity thats loved by everyone, and they host 2 of the biggest gaming conventions in the world. What do they get out of making fun of a guy that's already been ridiculed by most of the internet?

squidyj

difference between being a bully and giving a moron enough rope to hang himself is pretty fucking huge.

Except they didn't bully him. He could have ignored the pictures and left it alone. Proving that he learned from his mistake and probably gaining some respect back. Instead he decided to prove everyone wrong by saying that he was at pax and had the pictures to prove it. He took the bait, he made the choice to try to seem like a badass again. It's his fault.

So you're saying that they didn't set out to intentionally antagonize this guy, months after this should have been old news? If I'm getting the story wrong, please correct me.

Maxim726X

Everyone involved is an idiot, but you would think the Penny Arcade guys would know better. After all, they're the ones who grew up bullied and became bullies themselves. They're also remarkably self-aware what with their funny comic strip and all.

At this point, the Penny Arcade guys are just kicking at a crippled guy's cane. And you have to ask yourself, at this point they are doing all this over what?

Exactly. Just let this shit die... He's had his 5 minutes of internet fame. Let him be a doucher in some dark quiet corner.

Zomba13

So you're saying that they didn't set out to intentionally antagonize this guy, months after this should have been old news? If I'm getting the story wrong, please correct me.

He was bragging how he'd sneak in anyway. All they did was give him some pics for him to use to 'prove' he got in then later turned around and say how they gave them to him. It was either this or have the guy use other peoples pics and claim he had gotten in with people not being sure if he actually did get in after being banned or not.

Erigu

Pretty sure he's the one who said he'd show up despite having been told months ago he wouldn't be allowed in.

mavs

He said on twitter a month before that he would get into pax and nobody would be able to stop him...

PA let it go months ago but when PAX East came along, he started talking shit about PAX and the people running the show while bragging that he got in. He posted pictures on his twitter account as 'proof' but people smelled BS and started to question him on his twitter. Angry, homophobic and violent rants towards everyone and the PA guys got wind of it. That's when they decided to act and provide a good length of ropes.

The thing is, the PA guys aren't the instigators, they forgot about him and moved on. But when he showed up and started making noises, after awhile, they just had to do something. Sure they could've brushed it off, but when you get this brilliant opportunity to shut an annoying and violent loudmouth like him while making everyone laugh, why not?

They set up a prank that would only take effect if in fact the guy was a complete dick. He was only antagonized by his own pride. It's silly, its childish in a sense, but its also fun and kind of brilliant in the way it was set up. The guy only has himself to blame.

Well I guess I have it all wrong then. These Penny Arcade gents are classy guys who behave like class acts.

someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong2.jpg

For someone that is too mature and high brow for the twitter feeds you sure seem to be interested in it.

They should be above it.

He's a fucking moron, we all get it. Just let it die.

Keep posting in the thread. I hear posts in threads are what helps them die quicker.

Seriously, this guy is a douchebag and I'm completely OK with what PA is doing. I'm not even a huge fan of PA but it's hilarious what they are doing with this guy. He deserves everything.

I understand why Paul does what he does - he's a douche.
I understand why PA does what they do - they're having fun with a douche.
What I don't understand is why people who "don't give a shit" constantly post in threads like this saying "who gives a shit?"

The one who creates a twitter handle named "PaulYouSuck" for the sole purpose of pranking someone isn't acting out of a responsible desire for security and order.

itsgreen

The one who creates a twitter handle named "PaulYouSuck" for the sole purpose of pranking someone isn't acting out of a responsible desire for security and order.

please stop pretending that you are holy.

The PA guys did nothing blatantly wrong, and that guy deserves it. That's pretty much all there is to it. The fact that he deserves it is supported by his tweets in the past day.

Maxim726X

For someone that is too mature and high brow for the twitter feeds you sure seem to be interested in it.

Keep posting in the thread. I hear posts in threads are what helps them die quicker.

Seriously, this guy is a douchebag and I'm completely OK with what PA is doing. I'm not even a huge fan of PA but it's hilarious what they are doing with this guy. He deserves everything.

I understand why Paul does what he does - he's a douche.
I understand why PA does what they do - they're having fun with a douche.
What I don't understand is why people who "don't give a shit" constantly post in threads like this saying "who gives a shit?"

Yes... I'm the one that resurrected a 4 month old thread to talk more about this asshole.

Pop quiz: Who the fuck cares what some narcissistic douchebag does for attention?
Answer: Apparently everyone on the internet.

Yes... I'm the one that resurrected a 4 month old thread to talk more about this asshole.

Pop quiz: Who the fuck cares what some narcissistic douchebag does for attention?
Answer: Apparently everyone on the internet.

Keep helping the thread die. I think it's working.

People love to watch train wrecks. It's not like this is a mystery of human nature.

And to answer your 'pop quiz': You.

Maxim726X

Keep helping the thread die. I think it's working.

People love to watch train wrecks. It's not like this is a mystery human nature.

And to answer your 'pop quiz': You.

Wrong, chief. I'm more interested in the continued interest and reaction from people such as yourself. The train has already wrecked, we all know he's a doucher. What more is there to know? I'm not even sure why he's in the news again. Why? Because he's inconsequential.

And the thread did die. I didn't resurrect it.

Zomba13

Wrong, chief. I'm more interested in the continued interest and reaction from people such as yourself. The train has already wrecked, we all know he's a doucher. What more is there to know? I'm not even sure why he's in the news again. Why? Because he's inconsequential.

But you are still posting in it...

MKAllDay

Dude chill out. If you don't like the thread don't enter it but you don't have to come storming in telling people how wrong they are for not being as high and mighty as you. Let the observers who have nothing to do with it (NeoGAF) enjoy it if they choose to.

There was new info about the train wreck that happened. And why the fuck would you be interested in "the continued interest of people such as [my]self"? That's weird IMO. Watching a couple famous artists related to the gaming industry toy with a douchebag of unimaginable levels is a slight distraction from my workday.

What I don't understand is if it's 'over' why even post in the thread? Why even click on it? Are you really that interested in what a random GAF'er finds amusing?

So the same pieces of shit who think its funny to trivialise rape continue to act like immature douchebags.

Colour me surprised

Do you feel the same way about trivializing murder

Do you have any idea how it feels to be reminded of your wife being killed every time you watch The Fugitive?

Sullichin

It's pretty clear why he's in the news again. He made a big deal previously that he'd be able to get into PAX East, you really thought there wouldn't be a follow up after PAX East to see what happened?

Of course he's 'inconsequential', I don't think anyone is arguing this guy is important.

Maxim726X

It's pretty clear why he's in the news again. He made a big deal previously that he'd be able to get into PAX East, you really didn't think there would be a follow up after PAX East to see what happened?

Ohhh... Actually, I was not aware of that. I really did stop paying attention after the initial news broke.

Okay, then.

I still feel sort of weird about this. The dude may be a complete idiot, but it seems a little petty that the people running a convention would pull something so... needlessly immature.

The whole reason this started was BECAUSE of PAX East. Regardless of what happened months ago, closure wouldn't be definite until PAX East finished this year.

He could claim he was there and no one could really say definitively either way. This baiting allowed the subject matter to be finished. Done. 9 months later and it's over. He hasn't changed, and this is absolute proof.

Zizbuka

Banned

Remember, these are people who live for the internet. They're the good guys on gaf, but that doesn't mean much. In reality they need this attention, it feeds them.

RetroMG

Actually not a bad move. Paul threatened to get into PAX and claimed no one could stop him. If PA had done nothing, Paul could have
claimed to have gone to the show and said "and the idiots at Penny Arcade never even knew I was there." Perhaps even gotten some pics off the Internet as "proof." Given how this all turned out, it's not a huge leap to assume that was his plan.
PA not only cut off that avenue, but made the guy look like a jerk. And best of all, the guy did it to himself.
Not to say that's why it went down like it did, but it was a good move.

Now I do agree both sides should just walk away.

Edit: beaten. That's what I get for posting from my phone.

So Mike posted all the details to the three big ''Scandals/Controversies/Whatever'' at PAX East this week-end.

Well we’ve put another incredible PAX to bed. I’ve been asked to comment on a few of the stories that came out of the show this year. It seems that after three days of games, music and community what people people keep asking me about is the guy who took off his pants, and boobs. I’ll go ahead and give you my take on both of those but first I want to talk about the other story that is making the rounds. That being our trolling of Paul Christoforo.

THE PRANK

You might remember Paul as the guy from Ocean Marketing who self destructed on the internet a few months ago. What you might not know is that in the intervening months Paul has continued to harass me and PA via his twitter. He claimed that he would be coming to the show, regardless of the fact that he was banned. He threatened us and said he would be at PAX East in disguise. When the show finally arrived he began posting photos from the floor claiming he was here and that he took the pics himself. The only problem with that is that his phone was also tweeting his location…which happened to be in California.

On Saturday Paul befriended a con goer from his hometown on twitter. What Paul did not know is that this guy, along with growing up in the same town Paul did, was also a security guard at the PAX convention center. This guard is a huge gamer and he immediately came to us after starting up this conversation with Paul. First we attempted to set up a meeting here in Boston but obviously Paul said he couldn’t do it. Then Mr. Christoforo asked his new best friend to send him some photos from the show floor. We took the pictures ourselves but before we sent them to Paul Robert created a new Twitter account and uploaded all the pics.

They were then sent to Paul and sure enough he began tweeting them as his own. He posted all of our pictures claiming that they were taken on his iPhone and even dared people to find the duplicates. He bragged that he had gotten past all of our enforcers and that he was in fact in the show. I actually felt a twinge of guilt as I watched the man dig himself deeper and deeper into a hole. That passed quickly though as I remembered all the violent and racist threats he made towards Robert and I.

At this point I went to my own Twitter, pointing out “his” latest photos and then linking people to the originals we took. A quick look at the time stamps was all it took to see that they had obviously been posted hours before Paul ever claimed them as his own. I have to admit this was not as satisfying as it could have been simply because Paul didn’t understand what had happened. After about an hour, people stopped simply laughing at him and instead were trying to explain to him what had transpired. At first he tried to claim that someone else must have been following him around the show and taking the exact same pictures. Eventually he seemed to realize the extent to which he had been fooled and he simply began raging against anyone and everyone he could find on Twitter.

At lunch the next day I was explaining all this to the rest of the PA crew. After the story Erika said something that I think sums it up nicely. She said, “I love working for a company where revenge is always an option.”

THE PANTS

This is a pretty simple one. Last year at PAX East Keith Apicary got kicked out after disrupting multiple panels by jumping up on stage and taking his pants off. He approached Robert over the summer and asked if he could please be allowed back to the show this year. Robert said sure but had him sign a contract saying he would not disrupt any panels this year by jumping up on stage and taking his pants off. He agreed and then on the very first day of the show he disrupted a panel by jumping up on stage and taking his pants off.

So yes we had to kick Keith out but it’s his own fault and I’m pretty sure he knows it. I understand that this is his “shtick” but when it interferes with the show we have to put our foot down. As an example, the Mega 64 guys are also known for their ridiculous antics but have never once been asked to leave the show in all the years they have been attending. There is a time and a place for everything, especially taking off your pants.

THE BOOBS

Jessica Nigri(NSFW) is the other “controversy”. I find this one to be super funny actually. Jessica was dressed up to promote the game Lollipop Chainsaw. We had received some complaints and decided that yeah her costume was a bit too revealing for the show floor. The game was being shown inside a bus and so we asked that if she wants to keep the costume on, please stay inside with the game or if you want to be out on the floor please cover up a bit more. Now let me tell you why I find this to be fucking hilarious.

Last year we were given all kinds of shit for the Duke Nukem booth babes. How could we allow women to be used as sex symbols just to sell a game? How could we allow them on the show floor in their school girl outfits while children and families were walking around? We were vilified for not kicking them off the show floor on the very first day. Now, exactly one year later I am also a monster, but now it’s because I am “punishing women” by asking them to cover up. I’ve been asked why I find the female body to be “obscene” and told that I must really hate women.

Hopefully you can see now why I find this so fucking ridiculous.

How about all of you that hate me get together and have your own conference. I need you to decide if half naked girls are empowered or exploited because I’m doing my fucking best here and it’s apparently always wrong. I swear to God I don’t understand how I’m supposed to know if I’m promoting the patriarchy or criminalizing the female body.

The best part is that Jessica, Warner Bros and everyone at PA is cool. This was a non issue. It is apparently only a big deal to people who didn’t even attend the show.

So that’s my response to our two completely fabricated “scandals” this year. I have to admit I’m surprised that these made it to the blogs but my killing and eating of a PAX attendee got no press.

-Gabe out

Man I really dislike Keith Apicary. He's such an annoying bastard that people validate him by thinking what he does is "random funiness!". He's not good at that humor though...

When I was E3 a couple years back, all he would do is take all the free 5 hour energies and throw them in the trash and then laugh into his camera. I think they even stopped handing them out after that... heh, humor....

Man I really dislike Keith Apicary. He's such an annoying bastard that people validate him by thinking what he does is "random funiness!". He's not good at that humor though...

When I was E3 a couple years back, all he would do is take all the free 5 hour energies and throw them in the trash and then laugh into his camera. I think they even stopped handing them out after that... heh, humor....

Yeah, I don't know about his Keith Apicary character now. He became really popular with it, but that became his only schtick with it, it seems; disrupting people around him and scream his lungs out.

I really like Nathan Barnatt, he's a great perfomer. Some of his videos are really fun, witty and hilarious compared to his Keith Apicary stuff. Plus, he seems like a genuine nice guy. Don't know what was up with that though.

Top Bottom