• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic's Tim Sweeney: Lifelike Graphics Will Happen During Our Lifetimes

squidyj

One bald head, no hair, no muscular movement. That's like the most unimpressive tech demo I have ever seen.

Because those are very important to demonstrating an efficient method for approximating subsurface scattering as demonstrated by the visual quality of the dudes skin.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
That's like the most unimpressive tech demo I have ever seen.

Uh. No.

It is designed to show off a particular effect, (the way light interacts with skin) having all that other fluff would be pointless.

Also this tech demo runs at like 120fps+ on current hardware, where most tech demos with a ton going on run at 30 if that when released.

StuBurns

Banned
Sure why not? whole new markets for 'serious games' when the tech advances beyond just the military sim type stuff.
Simulating a real environment, with AI characters, and having your player controlled character act exactly how a real person does, without compromising the player experience seems an impossibility to me.

You could easily take a scene from a film, receate it in CG to the point where people couldn't tell them apart, but once you have player agency, and aren't scripting every person in the game that masterfully, it's going to fall apart.

It takes hundreds of millions of dollars to get a two hour CG film vaguely near that quality, a real-time game, where AI has to react to the player is impossible.

danmaku

Depends what for. Games maybe not, but what about simulators ? Visit other places from your living room and interact ? Training devices etc.

Other places and other times. It would be amazing to visit Rome in year 0, or Tenochtitlán in the XV century, or Edo with perfect lifelike graphics. That's the best part of Assassin's Creed games for me.

Metal-Geo

Other places and other times. It would be amazing to visit Rome in year 0, or Tenochtitlán in the XV century, or Edo with perfect lifelike graphics. That's the best part of Assassin's Creed games for me.
Eventually someone will think "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if I could kill people here?" and work from there. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If that happens it will become even more obvious that game designers are not good at creating movie like experiences.
I dunno, we've come a LONG way already. Look back at what was being attempted in the late 90s, for instance. What we have today with games attempting to be cinematic is dramatically different. Your implications would suggest that, although detail will increase, the presentation will not improve. I don't buy that.

Games are not movies, of course, but they can still provide realistic character interaction while providing an experience very different from a film. Something like Mass Effect could never be experienced in a movie but could benefit from more realistic character portrayal.

Simulating a real environment, with AI characters, and having your player controlled character act exactly how a real person does, without compromising the player experience seems an impossibility to me.

You could easily take a scene from a film, receate it in CG to the point where people couldn't tell them apart, but once you have player agency, and aren't scripting every person in the game that masterfully, it's going to fall apart.

It takes hundreds of millions of dollars to get a two hour CG film vaguely near that quality, a real-time game, where AI has to react to the player is impossible.

It depends on the game really. They could opt to make it super realistic and lifelike that it could compromise a player experience (unless the game being lifelike in a video game scenario IS the experience), or they could still make it very realistic while still realizing that adding fantasy/nonrealistic elements (like big budget action films) to the gameplay is still the way to go.

I just wonder how expensive stuff like this would be in the future for a game that's more than just 2 hours long.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Lifelike in stills? No doubt. Lifelike in motion? Good lord no.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How do we know our brains are equipped to handle the distinction between killing a real person and killing a virtual one if they both look and behave in the same exact manner? Do you want to run the risk of getting PTSD from a video game?

Oh please, Battlefield 3 on PC with ultra settings already look almost lifelike in some places, and im still not crazy enough to kill people in real life.

StuBurns

Banned
Dreams are literally life like quality, I'm sure lots of people have killed people in dreams, I know I have, it doesn't have any impact.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

I think you are mixing up "impossible" with "further down the road".

When talking simulations, computers will inevitably be able to simulate Earth and everything on it.

Will we see THAT in our lifetime? Maybe. Maybe not. (Leaning towards not)

But take a game taking place in a self contained environment, like lets say Bioshock 1's Rapture. I think a lifelike experience within that environment will be possible in the not to distant future. Where the Graphics and Animation are indistinguishable from reality.

AI is an iffy road in ALL fields not just gaming.

10 years from now we could have AI more intelligent and human like than human beings themselves. Or we could just have super advanced Watson Like supercomputers that still don't think or at like humans at all.

Edit: And since you mentioned dreams I have to throw this in there. Many believe we will have a (much more than now) symbiotic relationship with tech in the future. We are already decrypting thoughts in peoples brains into words and images today, in the future I think technology will be used in conjunction with the brain to achieve things not possible otherwise, and increasing our ability to render lifelike environments instantly. (Imagine instead of booting up a console, you close your eyes and take a simulated vacation to Italy (that in reality only lasted a few hours).) using the power of Computers combined with the power of the mind. Once we reach the point of being able to really harness the power of computers using our thoughts, the development and speed at which technology evolves will reach a singularity and by that point, video games will be one of the less interesting things on our minds.

Sadly I am doubtful we will see THAT in our lifetime, though I do see it as happening in the next 100-150 years. (Crossing fingers though)

plainr_

Do we really want reality-level graphical quality though? I look at some of the models we have with current hardware and some renders I've seen are realistic to a scary level.

Heck yeah I want it. I'm afraid we'll be stepping into the uncanny valley look a lot next gen though.

StuBurns

Banned
I think you are mixing up "impossible" with "further down the road".

When talking simulations, computers will inevitably be able to simulate Earth and everything on it.

Will we see THAT in our lifetime? Maybe. Maybe not. (Leaning towards not)

But take a game taking place in a self contained environment, like lets say Bioshock 1's Rapture. I think a lifelike experience within that environment will be possible in the not to distant future. Where the Graphics and Animation are indistinguishable from reality.

AI is an iffy road in ALL fields not just gaming.

10 years from now we could have AI more intelligent and human like than human beings themselves. Or we could just have super advanced Watson Like supercomputers that still don't think or at like humans at all.
I'm not mixing it up, I disagree. In a hundred years, maybe you could remake BioShock, leave the game running for weeks and watch as rust corroded individual rivets on a dead Big Daddy, maybe you could walk thru the dirt and grass in Arcadia, and the various biological material caught in the tread of those boots could cause plant life to grow in a new area. Maybe a computer could run the game simulation on those kinds of levels, but I don't believe it could simulate the realistic actions of humans to any situation. Nor do I think game budgets will be large enough any time soon to massively increase the quality of the simulation, even if technology increases as it has been.

Do we really want reality-level graphical quality though? I look at some of the models we have with current hardware and some renders I've seen are realistic to a scary level.

Yes, lets put a stop to making graphical improvements!

I would prefer to see all games start off with 60fps minimum first though.

It will be horrible.

Anyway, just fix jaggies and give us a decent framerate.
I rather have games look different from reality.

He probably means with reality the resolution we are rendering at and the lighting.
The reason he probably said that our eyes are like 30Megapixel camera hence his 8k x 4k resolution being high enough. Because our eyes can't sample anymore pixels.

Krilekk

Banned
Because those are very important to demonstrating an efficient method for approximating subsurface scattering as demonstrated by the visual quality of the dudes skin.

Yeah, it does a good job at that. But the point I was referring to was that this tech demo showed that realistic graphics are possible in ten years. And having one bald head without hairs (which will take an enormous amount of processing power to get photorealistic) in a tech demo today is absolutely zero indication of where graphics will be in ten years.

dacuk

I do not need life-like graphics to enjoy a game, just "good enough".
My imagination will do the rest

I do not need life-like graphics to enjoy a game, just "good enough".
My imagination will do the rest

Why do so many people always assume that once we reach 'life-like' graphics, then every game will automatically look life-like?

Do you really think unique art direction and different engines and styles of graphics will just disappear? There will still be unique games of that caliber just like today, and there will be games that apply real-life graphics, like some attempt at today.

I say bring it.

injurai

Banned
Why do so many people always assume that once we reach 'life-like' graphics, then every game will automatically look life-like?

Do you really think unique art direction and different engines and styles of graphics will just disappear? There will still be unique games of that caliber just like today, and there will be games that apply real-life graphics, like some attempt at today.

I say bring it.

I assumed everyone would still want Gritty browns and greys 40 years from now.

TheMan

A good question might be:

will developers have the tools necessary to create lifelike graphics in a cost-effective, time-efficient manner within our lifetimes?

I bet if you gave a group of good artists top of the line hardware along with plenty of time and money, you could create graphics that are lifelike right now...but budgets can't balloon forever.

NinjaBoiX

No doubt a smart guy but predictions like this are often wrong. I buy that in our lifetime we will see this, but 20 years? In film I guess but video games? Maybe onlive will create this reality. Usually these changes are unforeseeable.
I think they are almost there with film as it is. I remember a time around 5 years ago where you could easily pick out CGI. Now it's generally, "ah, that must be CGI", purely because it would be almost impossible to shoot otherwise.

But in games? Yeah, I think 20 years is a little optimistic.

Nilaul

Ill say give it 2 console generations max :p

In 3-4 generations its mobiles turn to reach the same level, what happens then? Mobiles replace everything.

Krilekk

Banned
Ill say give it 2 console generations max :p

In 3-4 generations its mobiles turn to reach the same level, what happens then? Mobiles replace everything.

Yeah, I can see those mobile 55" units we'll be carrying around. Mobile is great where it's feasible but mobile devices will never ever replace home devices.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I do not want to shoot lifelike people.

go pc and turn down your graphics?

i know i wont be getting ptsd from a game. we see people die realistically in movies all the time. sure i pressed the shoot button to make the cg representation of data disappear but i also doomed those other soldiers to there death when i pressed play on saving private ryan. how could i be so hearltess? :p

Nilaul

Yeah, I can see those mobile 55" units we'll be carrying around. Mobile is great where it's feasible but mobile devices will never ever replace home devices.

Not really imagine this:

Mobiles of the future,
Can stream content to TV/monitor, connect to any wireless controller/keyboard/mouse, much like a pc.

It will happen at some point when graphics stagnate. Its inevitable.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
And I'll still probably have more fun playing Tim's old ASCII-based games than the "lifelike" stuff... :p I vastly prefer stylized graphics myself.

Though I agree we will get to a position where we can get near-lifelike graphics. If the market doesn't totally collapse on itself first :p

The game industry (and movie industry) is stuck in the 90's on so many levels it's not even funny. The fact that we're still trying to tech our way out of the 90's mentality is testament that we're still stuck there.

Top Bottom