• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Episode VIII is "The Last Jedi"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Why would Luke die? Am I missing something? Finn isn't the last Jedi because you have to be trained to be called a Jedi. So technically Luke is the last Jedi until he trains Rey or Finn, and that could happen at the end of the movie right?

Finn doesn't have the ability to wield the force, though? Why would he be trained as a Jedi?

Am I missing something?

Matticers

lol at "Luke is gonna die!" No way they just get rid of him, especially not after we lost Carrie Fisher. Maybe it would happen in IX but not this movie.

It's plural. Luke is currently the last but he'll be training Rey, maybe Finn, maybe even some others. They'll be the last jedi. I honestly believe all three of them survive this trilogy because there will be a ridiculous backlash if they kill off any of them. So hopefully they introduce some more new characters that we care about yet we can actually lose.

I don't think Rey would ever turn to the dark side. It's Disney.

It's Lucasfilm :)

And they're not gonna turn her to the Darkside because there's no real reason to. The only reason people keep pitching it is because it sounds "cool" in a very empty, superficial way.

Regardless what conglomerate owned the company, that "twist" would be disappointing.

Finn doesn't have the ability to wield the force, though?

yet.

Everyone is wrong.

lol I think this is what most of us are saying. You would think Luke would be more open to "love" and things like that, a big point of the prequels was how this directly factored into Anakin's downfall. But yeah, we're going to see a new kind of Jedi I think, and hell maybe not even an "organization." Will be interesting to see.

As for Luke not dying because of what happened with Carrie Fisher, the movie finished filming earlier last year. It's not like they're going to do last-minute revisions over something that huge. Come on dudes. Think.

Woorloog

Banned
Interestingly enough in a lot of languages they will have to decide which form they will use: plural or singular (since in not all languages - for example German - the same ambigiuty can be achieved). So I guess the final translation could already be a potential spoiler?

Could be, or they may end up as mistranslated, or translators are told to use their own judgment.

The Last Samurai, for example, was meant to be a plural, but is translated as "Viimeinen Samurai" here in Finland, a singular form.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
oh myFUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The original concept for the emperor was that he was just some guy who tapped into the force, and anyone was capable if they trained enough (unless Lucas just pulled that out of his ass during an interview).

Though, if that Asian guy from Rogue One couldn't use the force, I'm not sure what hope there is for Finn.

BigDes

I'm thinking that Luke survives, trains Rey but she never becomes a Jedi.

She becomes something new, like how Ren isn't a Sithlord.

So the dark light balance remains but in two new more modern forms where they are more proactive and a whole new paradigm.

Bonus if they rastafy the new religion by 10%

Par Score

Jedi is the plural of Jedi. "The Last of the Jedi" would have fit better with previous titles, but whatever.

Also:

Announcing the name of the next film in the Skywalker saga

Basically confirms Rey's parentage.

Surfinn

The original concept for the emperor was that he was just some guy who tapped into the force, and anyone was capable if they trained enough (unless Lucas just pulled that out of his ass during an interview).

Though, if that Asian guy from Rogue One couldn't use the force, I'm not sure what hope there is for Finn.
Which I guess is all bullshit now after episode 3. I'm willing to bet money Finn learns about and uses the force.

Qvoth

yeah luke's gonna die
wtzgU.gif

Experien

I get the impression that Disney is dismantling or destroying everything here. Especially when you consider they said they don't think they will be doing Episode movies after IX. They are just setting everything on fire?

seeing how these new movies follow too much the formula from the OT, there will be some sort of spoilery big ''Twist'' in this next one.

they will try to go Dark Dark with their twist.

edit: Gray Jedi are the best: like Kyle Katarn

Rad-

Would be pretty cool actually if Luke was dark side in ep 8. The movie starts where it ended with Rey handing the lightsaber to Luke but Luke just goes "I have a new one" and pulls a red lightsaber and starts laughing Joker laugh (lul).

I wonder why people underplay LucasFilm involvement with the Star Wars franchise.

I don't see it happen with Pixar, Marvel or their other studios.

Weird.

Number_6

So either Luke dies or no one else is considered worthy of claiming to be a Jedi hence he's the last Jedi. It's the middle film so I expect a loss for the good guys.

I mean, how can this go any other way than Luke dying?

It's a somewhat ambiguous title. It could easily refer to Luke and Luke alone. He literally is the last, after all. Maybe he'll die and it could then refer to Rey. Maybe not. It could be plural too.

Everyone claiming he will 100% die or that this somehow proves Rey's parentage is going too far.

Anth0ny

I like the idea of Luke ditching the idea of a "Jedi" altogether and moving on to something entirely different, but I can't imagine Disney wanting to ditch the idea of a Jedi. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom