• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax Data Breach could affect 143 million customers

This is absolutely insane, but I'm genuinely not surprised. I feel this type of thing is only going to get worse in the future. One of these days, a group of hackers is going to crash the global economy.

SDCowboy

Possible but do we really want to trust Equifax right now?

Better safe than sorry.

Well I'm not referring to trust. I'm just talking about what the check is telling us.

So if we just got a Thank You, and a date for the service enrollment, instead of it telling us we were affected, I'm hoping that means the result was we were not affected.

Is that what the current assumption is?

jstripes

Banned
i always thought that part of the movie was a little childish, that would just crash the economy and directly hurt the people they're claiming to help.

though i guess that's the point of the movie.

You should watch Mr. Robot.

smurfx

get some go again
this should be the end of this company. any company that fucks up this bad needs to pay out all the money they have in penalties and cease to exist. fuck this shit.

Darg

Neo Member
Well I'm not referring to trust. I'm just talking about what the check is telling us.

So if we just got a Thank You, and a date for the service enrollment, instead of it telling us we were affected, I'm hoping that means the result was we were not affected.

It's honestly confusing and it seems it's not functioning correctly at the moment. I checked multiple sources including the source itself myself and it is supposed to give you these messages depending on the results.

Thank You -- Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is: xxxxxx Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process."

Thank You -- Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident. Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier."

Thank You -- Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident. Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier"

Checked reddit and it seems to be the case.

g859

Based on https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfi...eports_cyber_incident_may_affect_143/dmpdsj3/:

I looked at the source of the page and it looks like there are 3 options:
  1. "message-deferred": "Thank You -- Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is: xxxxxx Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process."
  2. "message-success": "Thank You -- Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident. Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier."
  3. "message-not-impacted": "Thank You -- Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident. Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier"
I got the "deferred" message, which I guess means I can come back later to see if I should panic or not.

Edit: beaten above -- still pretty vague. Only one of those is really clear.

SDCowboy

It's honestly confusing and it seems it's not function correctly at the moment. I checked multiple sources including the source itself myself and it is supposed to give you these messages depending on the results.

Thank You -- Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is: xxxxxx Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process."

Thank You -- Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident. Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier."

Thank You -- Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident. Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier"

Myself, and my family members that checked all got that first message. So what does it mean?

BobLoblaw

Banned
This should be an automatic termination for every CEO whenever this shit happens. Only then will companies learn to protect their fucking data.

Darg

Neo Member
Myself, and my family members that checked all got that first message. So what does it mean?

My guess is "come see us later to find out" Otherwise you would have gotten either the second or third message. Second being you were impacted. Third being you aren't affected.

Somnid

This is just gonna be one of those "too big too fail" things isn't it? I mean all that data is mainly stuff that people begrudgingly signed away through some other party so nobody gives a shit because it's impossible to realistically do anything about it.

The fact that Equifax has a link to their pay service on the "check if your data got stolen from us" page is disgusting.

They are selling a service at the same time they failed to secure your information.

How is that even remotely moral?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

I think it means the site isn’t sure if you were impacted. Someone at reddit looked at the page source and saw that theres 3 possible responses with the dated one reffered to as “message-deferred” and the other 2 as “success” and “not impacted”.

I looked at the source of the page and it looks like there are 3 options:

"message-deferred": "Thank You -- Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is: xxxxxx Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return to faq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process."

"message-success": "Thank You -- Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident. Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier."

"message-not-impacted": "Thank You -- Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information was not impacted by this incident. Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier"

I got the "deferred" message, which I guess means I can come back later to see if I should panic or not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfi...nt&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=personalfinance

Might be cause of the traffic that they’re not even bothering to check everyone right now.

Strimei

Jesus Christ. And they knew about it over a month and change ago? I get a delay to verify info but a god damn month?

Linkura

I think the safest bet here is for everyone to just put a fraud alert on yourself with one of the other 2 bureaus.

GutsOfThor

Dumb question but I use Credit Karma which pulls from Equifax and Transunion to check my credit score every month. Does this hack affect me?

Dumb question but I use Credit Karma which pulls from Equifax and Transunion to check my credit score every month. Does this hack affect me?

It affects anyone who has a credit card, any form of loan, or mortgage. The moment you apply or get credit it gets reported to 3 major credit reporting companies. Equifax is one of them. Credit Karma just pulls info from their data bases.

If you have any credit history at all, this hack could potentially affect you. Every US citizen with a credit history is connected to Equifax. That's why this is such a big deal. It's essentially a hack on the vast majority of the adult US population.

Zophar

This is absolutely insane, but I'm genuinely not surprised. I feel this type of thing is only going to get worse in the future. One of these days, a group of hackers is going to crash the global economy.
I don't want to be super alarmist but a hack this substantial could easily become another Bear Stearns situation. How will markets respond to tens of millions of consumers losing faith in credit and credit reporting agencies overnight?

So they had knowledge of this for a got damn month...

Heh, okay. Called Transunion to put a fraud alert on my report. I mean, this is just fucking ridiculous.

Absolutely unacceptable. When shit like this happens, the business needs to be shut down and have all their assets liquidated.

Actually I have a better idea: any time there's a corporate data breach, every executive at the company has to surrender their equivalent personal information to be posted publicly.

So they had knowledge of this for a got damn month...

Heh, okay. Called Transunion to put a fraud alert on my report. I mean, this is just fucking ridiculous.

I tried their website, but it gives an error everytime I try to file for a fraud alert. I think there are probably thousands of people who trying to do the same thing.

Linkura

I tried their website, but it gives an error everytime I try to file for a fraud alert. I think there are probably thousands of people who trying to do the same thing.

I got through fine with mine earlier, but got an error just now when trying to do my husband's. Trying Experian and they're asking about old phone numbers from 15+ years ago that my husband can't even remember himself.

I don't want to be super alarmist but a hack this substantial could easily become another Bear Stearns situation. How will markets respond to tens of millions of consumers losing faith in credit and credit reporting agencies overnight?

Definitely going to be interesting to see what happens in the coming days . And I'm not looking forward to it.

I got through fine with mine earlier, but got an error just now when trying to do my husband's. Trying Experian and they're asking about old phone numbers from 15+ years ago that my husband can't even remember himself.

Even Transunion asked pretty specific question that baffled me. Thankfully my credit history is not really old so I remember the details.

It's honestly confusing and it seems it's not functioning correctly at the moment. I checked multiple sources including the source itself myself and it is supposed to give you these messages depending on the results.

Equifax programmer translation:

1)

select count(*)
from WeDunFdUpTable
where last_name = :a1 or substr(ssn, -6) = :a2

If count > 0: "You might be compromised"

2)

select count(*)
from WeDunFdUpTable
where last_name = :a1 and substr(ssn, -6) = :a2

If count > 0: "We have really bad news"

3)

select count(*)
from WeDunFdUpTable
where last_name = :a1 or substr(ssn, -6) = :a2

If count = 0: "You're safe"

To be frank I am surprised that this thread isn't moving faster considering that the vast majority of Gaffers are American. I think people don't realize how truly disastrous this could get.

Linkura

Even Transunion asked pretty specific question that baffled me. Thankfully my credit history is not really old so I remember the details.

Yeah, I'm 11 years younger than my husband and mine were piss easy.

Edit: Lmao, we tried again and got totally different questions that were way easier. 3/4 questions last time had to do with phone numbers of them, 2 of them 15+ years old. Jesus.

FYI, TransUnion requires you to make an account, but Experian does not.

To be frank I am surprised that this thread isn't moving faster considering that the vast majority of Gaffers are American. I think people don't realize how truly disastrous this could get.

Most adults don't actually understand how the credit system works and many have probably never even heard of Equifax.

SDCowboy

Yeah, I'm 11 years younger than my husband and mine were piss easy.

Edit: Lmao, we tried again and got totally different questions that were way easier. 3/4 questions last time had to do with phone numbers of them, 2 of them 15+ years old. Jesus.

FYI, TransUnion requires you to make an account, but Experian does not.

What kinds of questions do they ask?

Linkura

What kinds of questions do they ask?

Shit like places you lived, old and/or current phone numbers, your profession, where you bank or have a loan. Most are easy but they were asking about old ass 15+ year old phone numbers in my husband's case. Like seriously?

SDCowboy

Shit like places you lived, old and/or current phone numbers, your profession, where you bank or have a loan. Most are easy but they were asking about old ass 15+ year old phone numbers in my husband's case. Like seriously?

Do you happen to know of placing this alert hurts our credit at all?

Top Bottom