• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erik Kain (Contributor): Sony's Boring PS4 Is Winning The Console War

meppi

Bah, that's just terrible.

Microsoft's Xbox One (originally) launched with the exciting and innovative Kinect sensor, all for just $499. (Now Microsoft offers a much less interesting Xbox One without the Kinect for $399)
And that's just laughable.

People don't like it when others say "lol, games journalism", but I don't see how it doesn't apply to stuff like this.

BokehKing

Banned
Some people need bells and whistles and big name games in order for them to feel justified in their purchase.

I just need a stable machine that can perform well.

Toxi

Banned
And that's just laughable.

People don't like it when others say "lol, games journalism", but I don't see how it doesn't apply to stuff like this.
Does he have to put in big bright letters "I'm writing satirically, you humorless numbskulls!"?

The Hermit

The article has a point that we have all see it since both PS4 and Xbox1 were revealed... don't see the surprise

lol@ people defending the ps4. Its a compliment to sony guys, calm down

yeah most of what you wrote really isn't that compelling. third parties are also on PC and X1, same with indies, same with F2P and Sony's first party games so far suck, the exception being TLoU Remastered. the price point is good but again, i dont think theres enough compelling software in my opinion to have bought a PS4 or X1 before holiday 2014. to each his own though, sounds like you are clearly in love with your PS4.

Not compelling to you perhaps, but sales indicate it's quite compelling for 10 million+ people

AlphaDump

Gold Member
he uses the term boring and exciting sarcastically, but poe's law and whatever...

All of which can serve as a reminder for what gamers—or video game consumers—really want out of a console: boringness.

Let me rephrase that. Gamers want a machine that isn’t center stage and doesn’t try too hard to innovate with inputs, but instead serves as a solid system to play the actually exciting stuff on: Video games.

agreed.

unbias

His point about just making it simple is right on, and I cant help but read the sarcasm from the stuff he says about the xbox and wii u. Still those saying he is biased at Sony... He is a PC fanboy if anything. All the lolfrobes comments though make me think, what the fuck are you reading where you think forbes is any worse then anything else out there. Also, the difference between "forbs contributor" and a IGN writer is next to nothing. His article was fine, he was either being sarcastic about the xbox and wii or was trying not to piss off fanboys.

Usual disclaimer: Forbes contributors are just hosted bloggers, they don't write for Forbes.

Hosted bloggers? The fuck?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lewisdv...r-contributor-payment-plan-yes-we-pay-people/

1) Why do we pay contributors when others don’t? As a traditional publisher, Forbes believes content creation is a serious endeavor, and experienced content creators do command a price (admittedly, not what many are accustomed to). We hand select our contributors for their topic-specific knowledge — our audience deserves nothing less. We recently parted ways with a contributor (recruited more than a year ago) who balked at our request for additional reporting and sourcing, calling his work, “just a blog post.” That doesn’t work for us.

Kerned

Banned
I've rarely seen such a collection of people who so obviously failed to understand or neglected to read the article being discussed. Holy shit guys.

unbias

I've rarely seen such a collection of people who so obviously failed to understand or neglected to read the article being discussed. Holy shit guys.

Well when the 1st half of the posts is shit post "lolcontributor" worthy, cant expect much.

oneils

This is just me, but I thought it was obvious that much of the article was tongue in cheek. The author was saying that Sony is outselling the competition because they kept it simple. All the other discussion was tongue in cheek.

Bay after reading this thread, I guess it wasn't obvious.

unbias

Considering how I've had to basically train my younger siblings how to play games... He's not entirely off base. And kids these days quit so quickly these days.

Ya, my 6 year old nephew is practically what the article described, prefers tablet games and some 3DS stuff, outside of that he has less patients for the typical stuff. Still though I have to think some of what he said was tongue and cheek(about the kids).

unbias

Does he have to put in big bright letters "I'm writing satirically, you humorless numbskulls!"?

Shit post gaf is normally higher then average when a forbes contributor article ends up a topic. Apparently all the other game websites are clearly better reads...

People aren't reading the article obviously, but the author kind of asked for it with his title.

I like these type of titles, makes it really easy to point out who doesn't read.

Shit post gaf is normally higher then average when a forbes contributor article ends up a topic. Apparently all the other game websites are clearly better reads...

Ironic that all this vitriol gets tossed at Erik Kain, when he's one of the better games writers out there.

Ah, well. I learned a lesson. Next time I won't expect GAF to read below the surface level.

Tmac

The Kinect allows users to navigate the Xbox One UI with voice commands that you may or may not remember. This is a super useful feature for parents whose children refuse to stop watching Netflix or won’t turn off a video game when asked repeatedly. A simple “Xbox Off” from across the room takes care of that problem.

DAFUQ Parents who need an "xbox off" feature to educate their children... what kind of argument is that?

unbias

Ironic that all this vitriol gets tossed at Erik Kain, when he's one of the better games writers out there.

Ah, well. I learned a lesson. Next time I won't expect GAF to read below the surface level.

It's not all of gaf just some asshats who think "lolcontributor" is anything other then a shit post.

And then you always get the dumbasses who comment before even reading the OP.

DAFUQ Parents who need an "xbox off" feature to educate their children... what kind of argument is that?

I'm pretty sure a large chunk of his article is sarcasm.

McLovin

So they focused on delivering the most bang for your buck in terms of graphics and they didnt try to sucker me in with some gimmick that gamers dont care about, but as an option for those that want it(ps camera and vita remote play) and they are somehow winning? Im shocked.

Jesus Christ people, would it kill you to read the whole damn article before jumping to defend the honor of your beloved console?
No! I'm offended because the PS4 is not boring and also offended because the Xbox One is not 'losing' yet!

Just kidding, I read the article and understand what he's saying and agree.

unbias

Ya... It's like people just enjoy seeing their words typed for the whole world to see, actually reading about what you are commenting on is about 50th on the list for some people, I think.

Even the worse ones are at least on par with most of the gaming websites out there. I dont get the contributor hate, most of the best articles on Forbes are from contributors(besides just gaming), and most of the reads are just as good if not better then most of the websites out there.

There's nothing exciting whatsoever about the Kinect 2.0 or the Wii U gamepad

Sony offered consumers what mattered, the others did not, and at a much higher cost.

Call the PS4 boring all you want, but that's exactly what I wanted -- a significant hardware leap from last gen at an affordable price.

The only real exciting tech on the horizon is VR, so Sony made the right call.

The PS4 exclusives really make going PC only in no way an option for me.

And this is exactly why I don't go PC -- there's nothing exclusive on the PC I care about, graphical improvements are marginal at best since developers don't target the top 1% of rigs...so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (for me) to shell out top dollar for a high end rig when it can't expand the sorts of games I tend to enjoy playing.

low-G

It was a system made for gamers, no bullshit, good price, best power. What more could you ask for? Ooh, a system made for video games is winning, shocker.

Opiate

It's a conservative console, certainly, but the console market is very conservative right now, so it was a considerably better approach than Nintendo or Microsoft's.

jts

...hate me...
Well, the PS4 is exciting in the way that shows that the market can become anyone's at any switch of a generation, really. Just play it safe. Good specs, sensible price, and baby, you got a stew going.

DSix

Banned
I thought we agreed to stop making threads about "Forbes Contributors" which are random posts that any bloke can make.

Top Bottom