• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erik Kain (Contributor): Sony's Boring PS4 Is Winning The Console War

Well of course the PS4 is boring. It has only indies.

Not sure if trolling or not but that comment always make me laugh. It's really ok If someone prefer the XB1 Exclusives over the PS4 exclusives but claiming that the "PS4 is full of Indies" implying that just for that it have less AAA is a joke. After the Games people claimed that "XB1 went all AAA meanwhile PS4 went full indie: XB1 WON" is just .. hilarious.

Gamescon Microsoft:

Multiplats AAA
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Already announced)
  • Assassin’s Creed Unity (Already announced)
  • FIFA 15 (Already announced)

AAA Exclusives
  • Halo 5: Guardians (Already announced)
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Already announced)
  • Sunset Overdrive (Already announced)
  • Forza Horizon 2 (Already announced)
  • Fable Legends (Already announced)
  • Quantum Break (Already announced)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider ((Already announced, but with bomb this time)

Indies:
  • ID: Lots of indie with almost no show time.
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Smite
  • ScreamRide

SONY:

AAA multiplats:
  • Destiny (Already announced)
  • MGS5 (Already announced)
  • Silent Hill (Already announced)

AAA Excusives:
  • Bloodborne (Already announced)
  • The order: 1886 (Already announced)
  • LBP3 (Already announced)
  • Until Dawn (Already announced, but it was a Re-reveal)
  • Hellblade (New game)
  • Tearaway (HD remade? Remaster? New game)

Indies:
  • Hollowpoint
  • Alienation
  • Wild
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • Volume
  • DayZ

I'm really exited about the new XB1 games will come soon, but I preffer the company that showed me New games, not games I already know and 90% of repeated gameplay with some new stuff. After / Before the gamescon the 99.9% of the AAA games list was almost the same, for both sides. But for my PS4 I have also a list of Indie games to look for.

It's true. I've said that from the beginning. I don't think it's a knock on it really, but it has made me invest into my PC instead since if you're just trading on horsepower and price, PC seems like a good alternative (cheaper games, no additional online cost, much better horsepower).

For console-only gamers though it's an obvious choice if you're just looking for a simple standard to go with.
yep yep, I particularly like many of Sony's exclusives and my favorite genre is JRPG.

Besides those two factors, I would easily be a PC only gamer. Just want a nice sexy box, where I get a lot of value out of my initial investment.

Ps4 and even moreso PC is still the best value IMO. btw--not saying the experience on PC is better master race lol. I think PC has the best value hands down, but the enjoyment you get out of them is pretty reliant on game preference.

Sony usually starts off Boring though with about every console and tries different things when the user base grows and they go after casuals. This is the first time I've ever heard the PR team talk about non-traditional gamers this early. Shu basically admits he worries that Sony simply satisfied the core gamers needs really quickly and they have to figure out how to continue the momentum.

Shengar

It's true, and I can't deny that PS4 in term of concept it want to bring is the most boring out of the three. But this exact situation rightly illustrate how innovation would be useless if it not bringing any results. Innovation is just a spearhead, while execution and planning is the pole of the spear. If I allowed to make an analogy, this is like 80's World Cup again where European pragmaticism wins over Brazillians Jogo Bonito. While Jogo Bonito is pleasing to watch, it can't bring meaningful results against well planned boring, rigidly structurized soccer of Europe.

If games are the most important thing to gamers, making things like the Kinect or the Wii U gamepad mandatory is a big mistake.

The PS4′s continued trouncing of both these systems is proof enough of that.

No shit? I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend for some people. I buy a gaming console to play games and I want a console that is going to give me the most bang for my buck that has a good a library.

Why do game consoles have to cater to other demographics or people who like gimmicks? It's like saying if movies are the most important thing to movie buffs...or if books are the most important things to readers....if music is the most important thing to audiofiles...

Funny, looking back at my favorite gaming handhelds/consoles (SNES, Gamecube, GBA, Vita) it's all prettier versions of their predecessor's. Especially GBA. A shrunken SNES with shittier sound, probably my all time favorite platform.

This is all just plastic to me. I want to be entertained. I don't care how it accomplishes this.

Shengar

If being boring is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I'm loving the PS4 so far.

There is nothing wrong in being boring, especially in a situation like this that holdsmany stake. Many mediocre general wins war by sticking to the book, as much as soccer manager relies on rigid tactics and strategy as opposed to individual showplays. Boring is a negative word, but not necessarily wrong.

Why do game consoles have to cater to other demographics or people who like gimmicks? It's like saying if movies are the most important thing to movie buffs...or if books are the most important things to readers....if music is the most important thing to audiofiles...

Because the Wii happened.

Now everyone is trying to find that blue ocean.

Alex

I like vanilla hardware that is powerful and sleek enough to let the OS and software do they talking.

That's kind of the issue with the PS4 right now though. The feature set, OS and software are just way too green and none of it is evolving quickly. I've never been less compelled to buy hardware which is weird when I respect the core design.

Man, it's amazing how the joke just sort of flew over people's heads, LOL.

But yeah, I rather like the fact that the PS4 is just a good console, rather than a device hobbled by the ambitions of companies who treated such an idea with contempt.

mdubs

Banned
Good to know.

I've read a few of those Forbes video game articles, and honestly, there is a certain bias towards a specific platform. Specially, those written by Mr. Kain and Mr. Thier. This is another eyebrow-raising article.

Reading must be difficult for you.

I want home consoles to create a common platform where developers can take advantage of features or input methods that would normally not have enough widespread adoption to be viable. That didn't really work out with the Wii U, and people didn't take advantage of the gamepad much, but I wanted what they were going for. The PS4 does provide the most power, but competing on those terms is kind of useless for me. I already have a gaming PC that's significantly more powerful, so for me the PS4 is just redundant from a hardware perspective.

Still have to get one for Bloodborne, though.

Rad-

I can sort of see what he means. It wouldn't really have many big seling points if the competition was better. At least I mainly bought PS4 because it's really the only decent choice this gen.

Yup, pretty much. "Boring" doesn't have to be an insult.

Sony definitely took a conservative and "boring" approach but it has paid massive dividends. They deserve praise for that. The simple approach is often times the most successful one.
Conservative? 8 GB GDDR5 is not conservative at all. The touche pad or the share button are useful and innovative for games.

Zia

Mine is a dedicated Blu-ray player. Doesn't get much more boring than that!

Excited to play remastered The Last of Us when it goes on sale, though.

Josman

Not giving that article hits, from what I saw in the OP it reads like PR at some point. How on earth is Kinect 2 fun? voice commands? it doesn't even have succesfull games and it's being abandoned, If anything I'd pity someone getting an Xbone because of it. At least the Wii U pad off-tv play is great. Also, the PS4 still has no games for Move, does he even knows what he is writting about?

And I agree with posters, Morpheus has been the only real innovation this gen.

Not giving that article hits, from what I saw in the OP it reads like PR at some point. How on earth is Kinect 2 fun? voice commands? it doesn't even have succesfull games and it's being abandoned, If anything I'd pity someone getting an Xbone because of it. At least the Wii U pad off-tv play is great. Also, the PS4 still has no games for Move, does he even knows what he is writting about?

And I agree with posters, Morpheus has been the only real innovation this gen.
Dude it is a good article, and read before you judge it.

You're only able to say that because "gimmicks" that stuck are now called "standards", leaving only failed concepts under the "gimmick" moniker.

The word "gimmick" is just a pejorative for something new that you dislike. We didn't arrive at the PS4 by just focusing on increasing the NES's horsepower every six years.
Could not agree more.
OK, I'll bite here.

I'm curious to know what you consider standards today that began as "gimmicks" that people embraced. As I said in an earlier post (#209), I don't consider analog sticks, optical media or online play to be weird gimmicks - they were natural iterations on what came before.

What are the gimmicks we loved - and still use?

Salz01

I contemplate about buying a second ps4 for my other room. Don't think it's boring at all. Love the game pad too with its mini mouse/track pad.

MavFan619

Banned
I've said it before and I don't need anyone to agree but if the thing went right to a game or netflix and had a store I would be fine with it. That said with share giving everyone access to streaming, screenshots, and video making, Morpheus whenever that comes, it's not like it doesn't have distinguishing factors from PS3. Also for the media hub the PS3 is now it grew into being one. PS4 can potentially PS3 media capabilities and still have upside with improvement to Share and VR.

Not sure if trolling or not but that comment always make me laugh. It's really ok If someone prefer the XB1 Exclusives over the PS4 exclusives but claiming that the "PS4 is full of Indies" implying that just for that it have less AAA is a joke. After the Games people claimed that "XB1 went all AAA meanwhile PS4 went full indie: XB1 WON" is just .. hilarious.

Gamescon Microsoft:

Multiplats AAA

AAA Exclusives

Indies:
  • Smite
  • ScreamRide

SONY:

AAA multiplats:

AAA Excusives:
  • Hellblade (New game)

Indies:
  • Hollowpoint
  • Alienation
  • Wild
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • Volume
  • DayZ

I'm really exited about the new XB1 games will come soon, but I preffer the company that showed me New games, not games I already know and 90% of repeated gameplay with some new stuff. After / Before the gamescon the 99.9% of the AAA games list was almost the same, for both sides. But for my PS4 I have also a list of Indie games to look for.

And what a bomb it was.

Gamescon Microsoft:

Multiplats AAA

AAA Exclusives

Indies:
  • Smite
  • ScreamRide

SONY:

AAA multiplats:

AAA Excusives:
  • Hellblade (New game)

Indies:
  • Hollowpoint
  • Alienation
  • Wild
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • Volume
  • DayZ

I see we arrived at list wars portion of the thread.

he's probably right..... people want boring when it comes to a console ..meaning no hand waving/voice yelling type of stuff they just want a powerful console that plays games, connects with their friends & is exceptional for online play with tons of innovative titles left to the developers to make the consoles interesting for us.

Monocle

The jokey tone doesn't help the author's point. He's right though, Sony delivered exactly what they should have: a powerful platform for a new generation of games. Microsoft was too focused on making an Entertainment™ hub and pushing their anti-consumer vision of an all digital future, and Nintendo probably would be in a much better position now if they hadn't tried to follow up their quirky underpowered Wii with the quirky underpowered Wii U (a console I love, don't get me wrong). Sony learned from their mistakes with the PS3 and released the right product, with the right design philosophy, at the right time.

The best thing about the article is the Wonderful 101 shoutout.

MavFan619

Banned
Also I'm sorry but I fail to see the sequel to Kinect as innovation, yes it functions above and beyond the PS camera but they still function to do the same things at the moment voice commands and stream camera. Not to say a piece of software won't come to truly make it shine, but unbundling the Kinect doesn't make me think that's going to happen. What is an Xbox One without Kinect if PS4 is boring as far as being too safe?

kyser73

My thoughts exaclty. He is not even being negative about the PS4, pretty much said SONY was smart for catering to the core audience.

The thing is if you believe the statements Sony are making about who is buying the PS4, they're getting a lot of returning gamers - people that skipped last gen completely. Can you consider this group core gamers? Would you expect Wii owners to jump ship from Nintendo to Sony?

They might have built a console with gaming & core gamers at its heart, but it appears that simplicity is speaking to some who left gaming.

Couple that with Sony's problem of working our why it's selling so well (and it is a problem - as is trying to work out why anything works well. It's always easier to fix a problem than analyse success) and the article is quite right - sometimes being boring (I think ordinary would have been a better word) is the way forward.

graywolf323

Gamescon Microsoft:

Multiplats AAA

AAA Exclusives

Indies:
  • Smite
  • ScreamRide

SONY:

AAA multiplats:
    [*]Silent Hill (Already announced)

AAA Excusives:
  • Hellblade (New game)

Indies:
  • Hollowpoint
  • Alienation
  • Wild
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • Volume
  • DayZ

Silent Hill still hasn't been announced much less already announced or even known as multiplat unless I missed something?

I'm curious why, if you don't mind explaining. I just don't think a tablet screen or motion controls via kinect are more exciting than virtual reality. Or is there something I'm missing?

The can of worms you have just opened... Hope you have a few hours to read through the next response. :p

The can of worms you have just opened... Hope you have a few hours to read through the next response. :p
But why! I really do want to know. Are we all over VR now and I missed the memo? Haha. I mean I've been wanting proper VR since I was a kid and it's so cool that we finally have it coming to consoles instead of just PC with the Oculus.

The article's correct.

XB1's and WiiU's "innovative" and "interesting" control schemes/accessories appear to be only of interest to marketing campaigns and gaming discussion forums, the actual public does not find them interesting, and instead went for the "boring" PS4.

Yagharek

Microsoft money keeps flowing

Wow, yet another person who didnt read the article, or who took it as literal.

The article is not controversial at all, but its hilarious to see people fall over themselves in an order to feign offense at what is a very well written article.

Sony are winning the sales tally this time because they are offering a simple, uncomplicated, straight forward games machine and their message communicates this just as simply. That's all he means by 'boring' - its a simple concept to grasp, and yet so many seem to struggle with it.

Top Bottom