• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB has rated The Medium for PS5

RoboEight

The medium was a fun game for what it is. Story was alright and the world was really well done there are some beautiful set pieces in the game. It's nice that more people will get a chance to play it and I'm sure it'll be some more nice adittional sales for Bloober team. Personally I don't know if I'd pay $80 for it but if it comes out at a decent price it's worth a play.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've been playing games since the 80's and Mario has never impressed me. 🤷‍♂️

Well, seems like Team Asobi don't agree! You'd have to not have played any Mario games since SM64 to not see the very obvious influences. There's the Sunshine hovering, the Galaxy skating on ice, etc.

Last edited:
That's her name? LMAO. I'm not seeing it.
EtjbpPG.png
Nope. Look up Madison Beer and you'll know what I'm trying to say.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jim Ryan also said "One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing."
That is kind of here or there because it is not a direct quote. That is the writer’s saying that and then quoting the actual statement. Can also sound like the writer’s interpretation of what Ryan must have meant.

hCzMPGq.jpg

Ryan is at fault for not contacting the author and getting that edited differently. You can say he omitted the fact that there would be cross generation games too, but then again Spider-man was revealed to be cross generation before launch and PS’s history has plenty of big games released for a previous generation console when the new model is already out on the market: you want to seriously state you expected them not to release even a single title for PS4 once PS5 was out considering all the previous generational transitions?

Feels like we have a bit of different standards applied to/expected from the two companies on the “transparency angle”… but anyways…
Not interested in making upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine like Microsoft is doing huh. Well something MS said they weren't interested in doing is taking games from other platforms. The Medium coming to PS5 fits that description much better than GT7, God of War, and Horizon FW coming to PS4. I appreciate companies being up front with their customers.
Yeah, I am happy to discuss on the actual quote instead of “oh yeah, well that was BS fine, but hear this…”. Maybe that quote will stop being posted without context trying to troll people.

The machine is still offering new content exclusive to PS5 that pushes it. New games are coming out on PS4 and enhanced on PS5 which is not too too dissimilar from what they did in many of their previous transitions (PS3 to PS4 did not have BC to help transition players, so they went with remasters). Without a global chip shortage and much higher sales of PS5 we may have seen less cross generation games too but we may have still seen some.

Demon’s Souls, Astro’s Play Room, Returnal, and Ratchet & Clank are a quite nice pack of PS5 of PS5 exclusives in the console launch window. We can keep trying to twist things and talk about dishonesty, hyperbolic pro and anti consumer statements, or see what they actually have done. Mountains and molehills pretending to have the high mora ground.

The console brought new features on top of HW power and had exclusive games showing them off. On top of that, we are seeing cross generation ganes take advantage of these new features: haptics, adaptive triggers, etc…

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No surprise as it was always a timed console exclusive. Thought it was for a year but appears to be six months.

THEAP99

Banned
As expected, third party exclusives are always timed exclusives.

Therefore, expect Kena on Xbox at some point and Stalker 2 on Ps5 at some point.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Welp. At least there is The Gunk.
I'm thought it woulda happened sooner. I know the devs kinda danced around this. This is around 6 months tho, maybe this was always the plan and they just didnt wanna say anything.

So, seriously, what are we calling bullshit on? The ESRB rating or what MS has written on their website?
pyQaM2A.jpg

I expect to see ESRB rating for Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout for PS5 in the coming years ...
Things change. GT7 was also listed as a PS5 exclusive.

At this point, expect the unexpected.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I liked it, people should give it a chance, they managed to scare me like crazy, and the dev will probably improve the stuff it got criticised for so it should be better now, might add some new stuff as well. Don’t skip it!

yurinka

I thought it was a full console exclusive, but I assume that today all these 3rd party indie/AA exclusives are timed on all sides. It looked pretty meh to me, but I think it's always good to bring games to as much as games as possible.

I prefer to have 3rd party exclusives on all sides as timed console exclusives intead of full exclusives or full console exclusives, I think it's better for everyone.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I liked it, people should give it a chance, they managed to scare me like crazy, and the dev will probably improve the stuff it got criticised for so it should be better now, might add some new stuff as well. Don’t skip it!
I bought it despite it being on GamePass as it was from a small studio and seemed to be a solid and passionate effort from them. Glad I could support it :).

dcmk7

Banned
Jim Ryan also said "One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing."

Not interested in making upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine like Microsoft is doing huh. Well something MS said they weren't interested in doing is taking games from other platforms. The Medium coming to PS5 fits that description much better than GT7, God of War, and Horizon FW coming to PS4. I appreciate companies being up front with their customers.
This is strange, you sure had no problem at all when Microsoft attempted to silently increase the price of Xbox Live Gold recently. In fact you defended it.

Doesn't sound like they were very up front with their customers in that instance.. Does it now?

You're obviously biased and therefore hypocritical. But don't make it so blatant.

SkylineRKR

Played it for a bit on Series S through GP, its mediocre. Didn't expect this game to come to PS5 nor did I care. Not going to play it again anyway. Its no classic Silent Hill thats for sure.

Nice. I'm definitely gonna buy this. Was thinking about getting it for PC but I think it runs like ass on my rig. (Ryzen 5 3600 and a RX5700XT overclocked + the obligatory 16gb ram.)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is strange, you sure had no problem at all when Microsoft attempted to silently increase the price of Xbox Live Gold recently. In fact you defended it.

Doesn't sound like they were very up front with their customers in that instance.. Does it now?

You're obviously biased and therefore hypocritical. But don't make it so blatant.
Or...how about when Matt Booty (and later Phil Spencer) straight up said, no Series exclusives for the first 2 years (1 to 2 years) certain folks bent over into backwards pretzels trying to say they meant something else, and tried to count 2019 because Booty said it in 2019, lol. He said family of consoles....there was no family until Nov 2020....because a One X game is an XBO game.....

.......They were completely open about it, and some ppl didnt even wanna believe it....

The same ppl that defend cross gen to death in the first 2 years conveniently forget the PS5 exclusives that are out right now and coming next week trying to do an 'I told ya so'

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What hype there was existed because it was an exclusive. If it wasn't I doubt most people would even know it existed.

hence why some smaller AA games from smaller dev teams choose exclusivity deals. It gets you exposure, and gamepass got this game in front of potential 18 million or so game players at the time. It was blooper teams most successful launch I believe. Not an amazing game but well worth the gamepass weekend bash.

6 month exclusivity is kind of perfect for games in my opinion. means Fans on other platforms don’t have to wait too long.

That is kind of here or there because it is not a direct quote. That is the writer’s saying that and then quoting the actual statement. Can also sound like the writer’s interpretation of what Ryan must have meant.

hCzMPGq.jpg

Ryan is at fault for not contacting the author and getting that edited differently. You can say he omitted the fact that there would be cross generation games too, but then again Spider-man was revealed to be cross generation before launch and PS’s history has plenty of big games released for a previous generation console when the new model is already out on the market: you want to seriously state you expected them not to release even a single title for PS4 once PS5 was out considering all the previous generational transitions?

Feels like we have a bit of different standards applied to/expected from the two companies on the “transparency angle”… but anyways…

Yeah, I am happy to discuss on the actual quote instead of “oh yeah, well that was BS fine, but hear this…”. Maybe that quote will stop being posted without context trying to troll people.

The machine is still offering new content exclusive to PS5 that pushes it. New games are coming out on PS4 and enhanced on PS5 which is not too too dissimilar from what they did in many of their previous transitions (PS3 to PS4 did not have BC to help transition players, so they went with remasters). Without a global chip shortage and much higher sales of PS5 we may have seen less cross generation games too but we may have still seen some.

Demon’s Souls, Astro’s Play Room, Returnal, and Ratchet & Clank are a quite nice pack of PS5 of PS5 exclusives in the console launch window. We can keep trying to twist things and talk about dishonesty, hyperbolic pro and anti consumer statements, or see what they actually have done. Mountains and molehills pretending to have the high mora ground.

The console brought new features on top of HW power and had exclusive games showing them off. On top of that, we are seeing cross generation ganes take advantage of these new features: haptics, adaptive triggers, etc…
"One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One." That was the direct quote. If the intent of the quote was to indicate they would do the same thing as MS how did the author get it so wrong? Otherwise there does not seem to be a significant difference between what Sony and MS are doing in that regard except MS has focused on improving the way those cross generational titles have run without asking user to pay more for the opportunity. Using haptics and triggers is just like using the SSD and more powerful GPU. Again the difference is that you get access to those features on Xbox without having to have the game specifically coded to take advantage of it.

I do think it is quite odd that people assume that the author of the piece just made stuff up and assumed that Jim Ryan was planning on following the same cross generational game plan MS stated they would take at the outset. Clearly some on this very forum though that 'we believe in generations' meant PS5 games would only be on PS5 and not that PS5 games would obviously have PS4 versions made. If that was the case its funny that only MS received backlash while Sony was praised. Strange indeed. Oh well it's cool that it was clarified eventually despite the authors mistakes.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Nice. The Medium was always all-but-confirmed to be a timed exclusive, it's a good-enough game within its genre (couldn't withstand the weight of hype of course but if you like adventures, have at) and might be the start of a franchise, and it did its job well for that platform. (Is it still technically the only "Xbox S/X-console exclusive" game released on the platform or has another indie shared that badge yet?) So, it's a good release strategy all around, Bloober played this well and it'll have its place on PS5 while doing whatever business it does on Xbox.

If it helps anybody get over this weird "lies!!" betrayal feeling about timed exclusives, know that I will be super fucking jealous every wretched second I see my Xbox friends playing The Ascent and I'll just be there with my PlayStation hoping and praying that it'll one day come to my console of choice... And then, I'll be playing Kena, and maybe those sad green bastards will feel the same way...

As expected, third party exclusives are always timed exclusives.

Therefore, expect Kena on Xbox at some point and Stalker 2 on Ps5 at some point.
I'm still surprised how long Square Enix has managed to keep FF VII-R an exclusive. I thought for sure when Intergrade was announced that that would be the open-floodgates point where the chapters expanded to PC and Xboxes (probably just Series X in this case,) but instead it remains only in the PlayStation ecosystem for now (and only PS5, going forward, although who knows if PS4 will be anything but a memory by the time FF7 R2 is out?)

And I still don't have FF7 Pocket to play on my Switch...

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
"One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One." That was the direct quote. If the intent of the quote was to indicate they would do the same thing as MS how did the author get it so wrong? Otherwise there does not seem to be a significant difference between what Sony and MS are doing in that regard except MS has focused on improving the way those cross generational titles have run without asking user to pay more for the opportunity. Using haptics and triggers is just like using the SSD and more powerful GPU. Again the difference is that you get access to those features on Xbox without having to have the game specifically coded to take advantage of it.

I do think it is quite odd that people assume that the author of the piece just made stuff up and assumed that Jim Ryan was planning on following the same cross generational game plan MS stated they would take at the outset. Clearly some on this very forum though that 'we believe in generations' meant PS5 games would only be on PS5 and not that PS5 games would obviously have PS4 versions made. If that was the case its funny that only MS received backlash while Sony was praised. Strange indeed. Oh well it's cool that it was clarified eventually despite the authors mistakes.

No, he didn't say that. Christopher Dring (the journalist interviewing him) said that.

Jim Ryan said, "We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features."

However, we have no idea what question this statement was an answer to. Dring doesn't tell us. And that context makes a lot of difference.
It's not a direct quote from Jim Ryan.

You've been told this already.

Why ignore the correction?

Spidey Fan

Banned
Nice. The Medium was always all-but-confirmed to be a timed exclusive, it's a good-enough game within its genre (couldn't withstand the weight of hype of course but if you like adventures, have at) and might be the start of a franchise, and it did its job well for that platform. (Is it still technically the only "Xbox S/X-console exclusive" game released on the platform or has another indie shared that badge yet?) So, it's a good release strategy all around, Bloober played this well and it'll have its place on PS5 while doing whatever business it does on Xbox.

If it helps anybody get over this weird "lies!!" betrayal feeling about timed exclusives, know that I will be super fucking jealous every wretched second I see my Xbox friends playing The Ascent and I'll just be there with my PlayStation hoping and praying that it'll one day come to my console of choice... And then, I'll be playing Kena, and maybe those sad green bastards will feel the same way...

I'm still surprised how long Square Enix has managed to keep FF VII-R an exclusive. I thought for sure when Intergrade was announced that that would be the open-floodgates point where the chapters expanded to PC and Xboxes (probably just Series X in this case,) but instead it remains only in the PlayStation ecosystem for now (and only PS5, going forward, although who knows if PS4 will be anything but a memory by the time FF7 R2 is out?)

And I still don't have FF7 Pocket to play on my Switch...
i doubt that will comeout soon. ff7 is squares egg, after avengers disaster. they can resell the game again on ps5 with the dlc bundle, and people will buy it (i would have bought it, if werent on ps+).

Arachnid

I played it on release and it was pretty trash. Better than Bloobers usual, but that's not a high bar. Don't go in with high expectations like me, and IMO don't pay more than 10 dollars for it.

Spidey Fan

Banned
It's not a direct quote from Jim Ryan.

You've been told this already.

Why ignore the correction?
does anyone believe ceo words? werent something like with something cyber, something potato, something delisted. Spencer or Ryan, i wouldnt take their words in face value. While spencer is a gamer, he is a business man. Jimmy is born business man. The man has policy to pay royalty for cross play. that is definition of businessman. Both are there to try to sell you a product. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am just waiting this E3. We will see, if spencer actions paid of, or was he just talking. Jimmy used the old money cash, big house tactic for party. So ps5 has exclusive ready of the bat, compared to the college guy spencer, who come from wrecked house, trying to make a party in his house.

At this point, i dont know what the F i am talking. thank you guys for making me confused.
GIF by Sky

kinjx11

Banned
Just finished it on PC, amazing game, RT was off to keep the fps smooth and it feel like a next gen game anyway

9/10, the start of something good, any fans of Dark pictures games should feel related to this game but it's not the same experience

Jokes and memes apart, these guys made Layers of Fear and Observer, both good games. I still haven't played this and have mixed thoughts on this. Comments in this thread and the general consensus online are pretty much identical. Some of my friends on Xbox are saying that it's pretty monotonous in gameplay and the ending is bad/unsatisfactory (this is subjective, so let's give Bloober the benefit of the doubt here).

I really enjoyed this game. It's not for everyone but if you like this kind of game you should totally give it a try.

I do, I have gamepass, and still reluctant to try this one out. Not just because of my backlog and other games I regularly play, but because the core game loop of this revolves around walking and puzzle solving and minimal combat, and most of all, not keeping the player engaged being very slow paced. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the concept of simultaneous dual worlds, that's unique/impressive and a technical showcase for sure, but to support that you need to have engaging gameplay, say for example something like Alien Isolation (minus the dual worlds part).

I initially thought Death Stranding was just another walking sim with a weird story, but absolutely loved the game loop involved in when I got to play it, the world building to resource management, melee combat, driving, (whatever) weapon based combat it had, mechanical complexity and everything till the end was a wild ride, and keeps you not stop in the middle. I couldn't say the same for some of naughty dog's games even post UC1 or at best, 2. Perhaps it's their same linear pattern game worlds with set piece explosions that you get bored too quickly.

The only draw for me into this game, is Akira Yamaoka and their (Bloober's) confession of getting inspired from SH2. I'm not sure if you've played the first 3 Silent Hill games, but they almost follow a same flowchart cue of off-branch (psychological) horror, but the events that happen as you progress, keep you engaged till the end, and not quit. I just don't want to start Medium, play for a couple of hours and go "it's boring, I'll finish it later" and it gets added to my mountainous multi-generational backlog.

I'll definitely play this though. Grab a few beers, sit a weekend out and binge it till the end, or not play at all. That's the only way.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The medium did the impossible of diving 2 worlds in 2 camera settings at 1 screen. Something that is new to horror game.
It isn't really though. Both split-screen and multi-view horror games existed before.
It's a new coat of paint on the idea by making two views more visually distinct, but that's about it.

I thought this was game was supposed to be brutal on PC hardware, what are your laptop specs?
It's rough on hw but the bigger problem is that even when framerate is stable, update never is. It always feels uneven and lower than it actually is. It's not a big deal for the type of game it is, but it bothered me as it ruins otherwise really nice presentation.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Jokes and memes apart, these guys made Layers of Fear and Observer, both good games. I still haven't played this and have mixed thoughts on this. Comments in this thread and the general consensus online are pretty much identical. Some of my friends on Xbox are saying that it's pretty monotonous in gameplay and the ending is bad/unsatisfactory (this is subjective, so let's give Bloober the benefit of the doubt here).

I do, I have gamepass, and still reluctant to try this one out. Not just because of my backlog and other games I regularly play, but because the core game loop of this revolves around walking and puzzle solving and minimal combat, and most of all, not keeping the player engaged being very slow paced. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the concept of simultaneous dual worlds, that's unique/impressive and a technical showcase for sure, but to support that you need to have engaging gameplay, say for example something like Alien Isolation (minus the dual worlds part).

I initially thought Death Stranding was just another walking sim with a weird story, but absolutely loved the game loop involved in when I got to play it, the world building to resource management, melee combat, driving, (whatever) weapon based combat it had, mechanical complexity and everything till the end was a wild ride, and keeps you not stop in the middle. I couldn't say the same for some of naughty dog's games even post UC1 or at best, 2. Perhaps it's their same linear pattern game worlds with set piece explosions that you get bored too quickly.

The only draw for me into this game, is Akira Yamaoka and their (Bloober's) confession of getting inspired from SH2. I'm not sure if you've played the first 3 Silent Hill games, but they almost follow a same flowchart cue of off-branch (psychological) horror, but the events that happen as you progress, keep you engaged till the end, and not quit. I just don't want to start Medium, play for a couple of hours and go "it's boring, I'll finish it later" and it gets added to my mountainous multi-generational backlog.

I'll definitely play this though. Grab a few beers, sit a weekend out and binge it till the end, or not play at all. That's the only way.

I'm not sure whether you'll like this game or not. It's more of a puzzle game with a great creepy, eerie atmosphere and really cool mechanics with the dual-world thing. and personally I really liked the story but a lot of other people did not. I will say it's more of a walking sim than even the Uncharted games so that could be a big negative for you, but so are Layers of Fear and The Observer. For me it was the best game from Bloober to date. I would say if it does end up on PS+ give a try and see if you like it.

I
i doubt that will comeout soon. ff7 is squares egg, after avengers disaster. they can resell the game again on ps5 with the dlc bundle, and people will buy it (i would have bought it, if werent on ps+).

I really don't get it. FFVIIR would have sold at least a couple million on Xbox at $60 each that's easily so how much did Square got paid for this?

Spidey Fan

Banned
I

I really don't get it. FFVIIR would have sold at least a couple million on Xbox at $60 each that's easily so how much did Square got paid for this?
its a notion that rpg dont sell well on xbox, so they are afraid of their sales. ff7 is big golden goose, that playstation fans want to shill tons of money for part 1. both companies dont want to lose that sale. I hope it comes to pc at least, if it doesnt come on xbox.

Top Bottom