ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

Jun 7, 2011
Jun 25, 2005
*turns chair backwards*

Okay team, we all appreciate a good "zinger" here at the Neo Gaming Age Forums, but after three posting attempts to derail a thread about a historical documentary with, "ha, and then they should throw the Xbox Ones in the landfill, because Microsoft can't sell them and a landfill is where you put the garbage (xbox ones)" we kind of get it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sep 25, 2005
Hopefully it's legit and not some reality TV "reality." Surely, people who worked at Atari back then know exactly what the story is.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Feb 14, 2009
Some of those game boxes and manuals look to be in pretty good shape for being buried in a landfill for 30 years.
Rain water/ground-water doesn't get that far down in desert-landfills. This is probably Arizona(?) where rain probably is sparse? Throw in trash above that depending on if they still had that site open and it wouldn't be too hard to believe with plastic bags/trash-bags blocking decomposition and water stuff from getting to them.

Apr 6, 2010
The "urban legend" is that there were literally hundreds of thousands of copies of ET buried.

I see one copy of ET. In relatively good condition.

This smells like utter reality TV bullshit....at least until some better photographic evidence turns up. If they really discovered a cache of thousands of games I don't understand why they only took a few pictures of single copies. Methinks some desperate production assistant was searching for "Atari" on eBay a few days ago.
Um, sorry to rain down on your hate parade, but they found loads more.

Oct 19, 2010
Hopefully it's legit and not some reality TV "reality." Surely, people who worked at Atari back then know exactly what the story is.
The lead designer of the game was there, on site today. I don't think Microsoft is dumb enough to get themselves involved in something like this if they didn't have their facts straight.

Feb 2, 2013
Mein Land
*turns chair backwards*

Okay team, we all appreciate a good "zinger" here at the Neo Gaming Age Forums, but after three posting attempting to derail a thread about a historical documentary with, "ha, and then they should throw the Xbox Ones in the landfill, because Microsoft can't sell them and a landfill is where you put the garbage (xbox ones)" we kind of get it.
Omfg...I didn't knew that...

Oct 18, 2013
Rain water/ground-water doesn't get that far down in desert-landfills. This is probably Arizona(?) where rain probably is sparse? Throw in trash above that depending on if they still had that site open and it wouldn't be too hard to believe with plastic bags/trash-bags blocking decomposition and water stuff from getting to them.
Yeah its new mexico and its dry as a bone. Anywhere else but a desert landfill and they would be mush.idk why people have to be so skeptical of everything. Kobunheat is on scene and I believe he would not be involved in some reality TV garbage. Literally.

CDX

May 31, 2012
You've unleashed a terrible curse.

Another videogame crash incoming, people. Brace yourselves.

Microsoft has unleashed the curse. Another videogame crash is coming.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft has been through a videogame crash.

Will Nintendo be the savior of the videogame industry again? But the Nintendo employees who witnessed the 80s crash are all old/retired/or dead now.

Who will save videogames now? What have you done Microsoft! Those were supposed to stay buried!

Aug 14, 2010
kininarima.su
Regular cardboard takes only a few months to degrade completely in landfill. Not sure what those boxes are made of, but it does seem a little fishy that they're in such good condition.
Yeah...regular cardboard biodegrades within a matter of weeks. After 30 years, there shouldn't be anything left of those boxes.

EDIT: Not to mention those paper inserts. Those should just be gone.
That's in an ordinary landfill. In a desert there isn't enough moisture for cardboard to degrade.

Sep 10, 2013
Microsoft has unleashed the curse. Another videogame crash is coming.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft has been through a videogame crash.

Will Nintendo be the savior of the videogame industry again? But the Nintendo employees who witnessed the 80s crash are all old/retired/or dead now.

Who will save videogames now? What have you done Microsoft! Those were supposed to stay buried!
SEGA OUT OF NOWHERE

Feb 24, 2005
COGassembly.com
I remember seeing somewhere that you can still find newspapers from the 1920 in landfills. Something about the paper being buried in such an environment that it doesn't break down like it normally would if left out in the open in a forest or something. Plus, the concrete poured over the site probably helped preserve everything.

Jan 21, 2014
Man I wish I could be there, so I can take a couple dozen of copies and sell them on EBay... It's like I'm gonna get money to give people a bad gaming experience

Mar 15, 2012
Florida
twitter.com
That's because this is a hoax. The real burial site of these cartridges was supposedly in Texas, not New Mexico.
Uh looking online, the burial was in New Mexico, the trucks that brought them were from an Atari storehouse in Texas.

Also wasn't this dump site chosen because the landfill crushed and buried it's garbage daily or something?

May 19, 2005
I don't find a Tweet that says "apparently there are tons more down there" to be terribly specific or compelling. But like I said, let's see some more photos of what's there.
arstechnica had reporters there for the excavation and the general public was as well so more info will be out soon

not to mention the documentary

e: speaking of ars
megan geuss ‏@MeganGeuss 37m
"There are a whole hell of a lot more down there" one guy in The dig says

Nov 14, 2005
I remember seeing somewhere that you can still find newspapers from the 1920 in landfills. Something about the paper being buried in such an environment that it doesn't break down like it normally would if left out in the open in a forest or something. Plus, the concrete poured over the site probably helped preserve everything.
True.

A 1979 tax return was in there

http://t.co/0nnifK4M51