• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etika, popular gaming Youtuber, has passed away

Shaqazooloo

Damn, Rip.
I loved Etika's reaction video's, they would always pick me up, he was always so full of energy, sad to hear him go like this.

Reactions: TLZ

Thabass

Watching a reupload of some apology. What did he do? Damn.

He said some pretty harsh stuff, which I agree isn't really forgivable. But the way some people treated it, it was just too much. Especially for the stuff he was going through.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Very sad news. His posts were serious showing this guys was in a lot of pain. May he rest in peace

J-Roderton

He said some pretty harsh stuff, which I agree isn't really forgivable. But the way some people treated it, it was just too much. Especially for the stuff he was going through.

Gotcha. I'm not familiar with the dude so don't really know the whole story.

Sad stuff.

Petrae

Look at their thread over there now. All saying rip etc .as if they have never said anything bad about him, lol.

It’s that forum’s moment of clarity or something. People there now demanding permabans for users involved in that thread that was mentioned here, or joining the line of RIPs out of obligation.

When your life is practically fueled by social media— the likes, the shares, the subscriptions, the views, the comments— you are far more sensitive to everything. When you’re already walking that line and you’ve got tons of people practically daring you to end it... you’re probably going to end it.

Social media is cancer. Period. It’s become infected by ruthless, callous, myopic assholes. It started as a neat way to reach out to people or network with others who have similar interests... but now it’s a cesspool. If you’re not in excellent mental health, it will destroy you because you don’t have the ability to defend against it.

Your “career” in social media, in streaming, in making videos, or anything on the internet is dependent on the highly improbable ability to gain the constant approval of millions of people. That kind of pressure is obviously going to cause harm to most people over time.

It’s an unfortunate situation all around, and a tragic one for the deceased and his family/friends. Sadly, nothing will change. People will continue to be assholes on social media, opportunists will still try to make a career out of it despite the obvious dangers, and, most likely, more will decide to take a similar path.

Melon

Banned
I kept up with this whole situation from start to finish, and I don't even know what to feel right now. Yesterday someone uploaded a video of a body floating near Pier 16, I watched it and thought it looked like him but I refused to believe it. Now knowing the body I was looking at was his just breaks my fucking heart. Mental health is never anything to joke about. I feel so fucking sick over this whole thing. I hope he can rest easy, and that his family can find peace.

And fuck Ree for being such two-faced little shits. I hope that fucking site rots.

RIP.

27 pages of shitting on him for having mental health problems and making nasty memes at his expense, mod endorsed:

Wow. Fucking scum.

This is a tragedy. He was clearly a passionate guy and I enjoyed his YouTube videos.

No one should have to feel in a position to commit suicide, especially when they are struggling with mental health issues.

Do we know if Erik's was actually aware of this nasty Era thread?

RIP my friend.

ultrazilla

RIP.

27 pages of shitting on him for having mental health problems and making nasty memes at his expense, mod endorsed:

That place is a cesspool of true shitbags.

May Etika rest well. :messenger_pensive:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
RIP.

I saw at least one post there claim that those who mocked Desmond should be banned and sent here, as if we're just scum that lacks empathy. What stupid fucking morons.

joe_zazen

They just treated him like everyone else they consider problematic. He had a history of using words that they didn't like. Every time he did something they didnt like they'd have a yikes-fest.

Poor guy. I've struggled with suicidal thoughts enough to go to a hospital, so I know how he felt. It's just a shame he couldn't find peace in life.

Cliche I know, but yeah hospitals can help. I got ECT at mine and it has prolonged my life.

YukiOnna

That's disgusting.

Rest in Peace, Etika.

Boss Mog

I had watched some of his stuff by chance one time, he was really passionate about gaming. Sad that he wasn't able to get the help he needed in time. RIP my friend.

As for Era's bullying, I can't say I'm surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if they deleted that thread pretty soon.

Thabass

What words wouldn’t words be forgive-able? crazy people say regrettable things, i know i have.

Evilore posted the thread. The words are in that thread. Honestly, it's stuff I've said in my past and I regret and it's really not all that shocking / surprising.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Was never a fan of his antics but he was a massive contribution towards Smash hype in general.

People are only caring now he's gone and it's really fucking bad.

RIP Etika he didn't deserve it.

Quezacolt

Been following Etika for years, thanks to his pokemon videos. He was a great youtuber, and seemed like a really cool guys irl too. His videos were full of energy.

Rest in Peace Desmond, we'll miss you.

Quantza

Neo Member
RIP Desmond... Gonna miss his enthusiasm.
May people truly learn from this.

And also, ResetERA is finally showing their true colours.
I'd love for someone to bring up posting here as evidence of my character.

This is unfortunate. From what I gathered there were people in his life that tried their hardest to get him the help he needed but he was not receptive to that help. I am sorry for their loss and the suffering he was going through that he could not hanlde anymore.

I hope those close to him can find the help and ways to cope with what happened as suicide is something that no one really gets over but learns to deal with.

Rip. Man it's such state in society when you see so many young people commit suicide like this... were things always this bad or am I right to think it skyrocketed in recent years?

kingbean

Rip. Man it's such state in society when you see so many young people commit suicide like this... were things always this bad or am I right to think it skyrocketed in recent years?

Not skyrocketed, but it's been going up steadily.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
RIP

And as always fuck that sad sad sad excuse of a shitty website i won't even name that shithole

Last edited:

Osukaa

You know.. Etika said alot of dumb things and made alot of mistakes. I am in no way defending Resetera but when your online and say those remarks or racist words he said even if playing around then the heat will come at you regardless of if you meant it or not. Now in no way does that warrant people calling for his death or to laugh at his suicide video. The ones who mocked him took it to far when all you have to do is just not follow the guy. I honestly started watching his vids through his Jojo Youtube vids and I instantly became a fan. I wont say I was a super fan but I honestly thought he was a nice guy just from judging his interactions with others and what others had to say about him.

When he started having his breakdown and said all those things on twitter I was angry but then I was like well shit what would push a guy to say those things when he seems to have everything going for him. I took a step back and was like damn. I feel sorry for this guy as I truly believe he had a mental illness/depression etc. I honestly felt sorry for the guy after that and I was rooting for him to just somehow get through this"phase" and be back and make more videos.

When I heard the news today I felt bad not for him only but for his friends and loved ones. I cant imagine the grief they must feel and I hope those that made fun of or mocked him at least see that they should not attack or belittle someone when they are at a low point in their lives and make an effort to become a better person (easier said than done I know).

RIP Etika you were a fun guy and its sad to see anyone take their own lives. I dont know if anyone could have helped at that point but damn. I am really at a loss of words at the moment and just wish the man and his loved one Peace, Forgiveness and Love.

Neff

If this is true and part of his mental health issues are partly to do with them, I'm severing all ties.

Plenty of reasons to do that, regardless of this incident.

I didn't like Etika much, but yeah, they jumped at the chance to kick a very wounded man while he was down, despite their purported crusade to do right by the mentally ill, a crusade which apparently is only applicable to those meeting specific criteria, ie theirs.

Resetera's position of self-appointed moral superiority is deeply-rooted in negativity, and never passes up a juicy chance to make an example of someone who doesn't toe the politically correct line.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Etika was always my favorite streamer/youtuber to watch react to stuff.

All the smash bros announcements would shoot him through the roof, Nintendo Directs were always so much more fun to watch through his eyes.

It's really easy to get so down on yourself and so dark. I've had my own struggles with darkness...I've felt alone and felt like I've lost everyone and everything before... but you HAVE to find a way to get your ass moving in a more positive direction.

It sounds so easy to say "just go for a walk" or "just call a friend" or "watch a movie". In those moments you feel like a burden on life itself...you're not going to do anything to help yourself.

I hope anyone who struggles with these feelings takes them seriously.

If anyone just wants someone to talk to about this kind of stuff, I'm on Discord and you can PM me whenever you want.

Take care of yourselves....and Etika will be missed.

Last edited:

decisions

Rest in peace. It is very saddening that this man could not find that shred of hope one needs to get consistent help and strive to improve life when it gets really dark.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

"That last episode with Grisha was crazy, too, bro. I'll never see how Attack on Titan finishes."

"Was it the social media, was it the mental illness, was it the edginess? It was a mix of all."

"It's not y'all fault. I don't want y'all to blame yourselves. It's all my fault. I'm the one that pushed y'all away."

"Let my story be one that advises caution on too much of this social media shit, man. It'll fuck you up. It can give you an image of what you want your life to be, and it can get blown completely out of proportion, dog."

:lollipop_crying:

I don't know who the guy is but I can relate. My wife with bipolar committed suicide last year, we would have been married 17 years last December and together 21 years last July. Mental illness is awful and affects many people directly and indirectly

I am truly sorry for your loss, the suffering you experienced must have been maddening. How are you holding up?

RIP.

That forum is a small bubble of ideologically possessed individuals moderated by a group of resentful children.

I'm familiar with that forum solely through the negative attention it has received over time from every corner of the internet, and that thread is a sign of malevolence. No respectable individual with any shred of decency or common sense should be associated with that forum, unless they're trying to broaden their experience regarding what the human species is capable of at their worst - which i recommend actually. Every individual is capable of malevolence, and knowing that is extremely important otherwise it's highly likely to not manage it accordingly.

Da-Kid

You know.. Etika said alot of dumb things and made alot of mistakes. I am in no way defending Resetera but when your online and say those remarks or racist words he said even if playing around then the heat will come at you regardless of if you meant it or not. Now in no way does that warrant people calling for his death or to laugh at his suicide video. The ones who mocked him took it to far when all you have to do is just not follow the guy. I honestly started watching his vids through his Jojo Youtube vids and I instantly became a fan. I wont say I was a super fan but I honestly thought he was a nice guy just from judging his interactions with others and what others had to say about him.

When he started having his breakdown and said all those things on twitter I was angry but then I was like well shit what would push a guy to say those things when he seems to have everything going for him. I took a step back and was like damn. I feel sorry for this guy as I truly believe he had a mental illness/depression etc. I honestly felt sorry for the guy after that and I was rooting for him to just somehow get through this"phase" and be back and make more videos.

When I heard the news today I felt bad not for him only but for his friends and loved ones. I cant imagine the grief they must feel and I hope those that made fun of or mocked him at least see that they should not attack or belittle someone when they are at a low point in their lives and make an effort to become a better person (easier said than done I know).

RIP Etika you were a fun guy and its sad to see anyone take their own lives. I dont know if anyone could have helped at that point but damn. I am really at a loss of words at the moment and just wish the man and his loved one Peace, Forgiveness and Love.
Mental illness can make people say things that are completely out of character because they are not in their right mind. It's not hard to identify, people just don't want to understand. Etika was pleading for help and had multiple mental breakdowns and it was very clear he was suffering from mental illness. A lot of mental illness has to do with having multiple personalities. When you see someone with mental illness saying inflammatory things it's part of it. They are literally out of their right mind to say the least. Mental illness causes people to do, say, and act ways they wouldn't normally.

People fail to understand this and fail to recognize the signs.

Last edited:

Traianvs

Can we please leave Era outside of this discussion? The only news here is that a guy in need of help decided that he couldn't go on anymore with his life, not that other places are full of hypocrits and cowards.

Osukaa

Mental illness can make people say things that are completely out of character because they are not in their right mind. It's not hard to identify, people just don't want to understand. Erika was pleading for help and had multiple mental breakdowns and it was very clear he was suffering from mental illness. A lot of mental illness has to do with having multiple personalities. When you see someone with mental illness saying inflammatory things it's part of it. They are literally out of their right mind to say the least. Mental illness causes people to do, say, and act ways they wouldn't normally.

People fail to understand this and fail to recognize the signs.

Agree 100% when you take the time to just think about a persons mindset to be in a dark place to say things that they would not say before it makes you think and start the realize that it might be related to something far more serious than what you first thought and you should be reaching out with love and help not hate.

dcll

Banned
I am truly sorry for your loss, the suffering you experienced must have been maddening. How are you holding up?

That forum is a small bubble of ideologically possessed individuals moderated by a group of resentful children.

I'm familiar with that forum solely through the negative attention it has received over time from every corner of the internet, and that thread is a sign of malevolence. No respectable individual with any shred of decency or common sense should be associated with that forum, unless they're trying to broaden their experience regarding what the human species is capable of at their worst - which i recommend actually. Every individual is capable of malevolence, and knowing that is extremely important otherwise it's highly likely to not manage it accordingly.
Last year was very rough but I went to therapists and groups and just stayed busy. The first few months I was a recluse and didn't do anything and I had to make myself stay busy finally. It is still hard and I think about her every day but I have adjusted. I am just glad my kids were not little, very lucky. They are 18 and one will be 16 next month

Last edited:

Da-Kid

Can we please leave Era outside of this discussion? The only news here is that a guy in need of help decided that he couldn't go on anymore with his life, not that other places are full of hypocrits and cowards.
You're right, I agree and apologize.

Rest in peace Desmond. You will be missed.

Petrae

"That last episode with Grisha was crazy, too, bro. I'll never see how Attack on Titan finishes."

"Was it the social media, was it the mental illness, was it the edginess? It was a mix of all."

"It's not y'all fault. I don't want y'all to blame yourselves. It's all my fault. I'm the one that pushed y'all away."

"Let my story be one that advises caution on too much of this social media shit, man. It'll fuck you up. It can give you an image of what you want your life to be, and it can get blown completely out of proportion, dog."

:lollipop_crying:

He’s exactly right. And once you’re sucked in, it’s very difficult to escape. It’s why I jettisoned Twitter this year. It’s why I only occasionally check in on Facebook. There’s no value to it, and it’s not worth spending time doing shit for the validation of others.

And when you already deal with depression and anxiety (as I do), you’ve had a history of suicidal thoughts (since 1986), and you’ve had angry run-ins in the past with trolls who bombard you with pointlessly negative shit daily?

Yeah, I’m good in going back to being a hermit. I threw away 10 years of tweets and thousands of followers, but I made the decision that absolutely had to be made.

Top Bottom