• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
If it's the same as previous Mystery Dungeon games, every time you hang around a floor for too long it kicks you out of the dungeon. Not sure what you lose in this game if it happens though (since I don't have it, yet).

I should go make a party with shitty gear and try it out lol.

vall03

I just fucked up a system transfer and lost practically all of my games and save files. I was already at the end of the 5th dungeon and have a pretty good party. *sigh* I'm actually speechless right now, I've been gaming since I was a kid and this is the first time I actually lost a save a file. Guess I'll just have to replay the game again... *sigh*

spiritfox

I just fucked up a system transfer and lost practically all of my games and save files. I was already at the end of the 5th dungeon and have a pretty good party. *sigh* I'm actually speechless right now, I've been gaming since I was a kid and this is the first time I actually lost a save a file. Guess I'll just have to replay the game again... *sigh*

Wow that sucks. At least it's not Monster Hunter. I'll just quit gaming forever.

Parakeetman

Oh man that sucks. D:

Shengar

If I enter other Dungeon, does DOE in the foruth still moving upward or not? I hope it's latte, otherwise it'll stressful as hell.

If I enter other Dungeon, does DOE in the foruth still moving upward or not? I hope it's latte, otherwise it'll stressful as hell.

Yes DOEs do move when you enter other dungeons, but they're much slower and also only seem to move back and forth between two or so zones. You don't really have to worry about DOEs moving around in other dungeons. In my time playing a DOE has never attacked a fort in a dungeon I wasn't in or reached the top of a dungeon. Just occasionally check the dungeon maps and only go clear them out if their position makes you feel uncomfortable, otherwise you can just leave them alone.

omlet

Man, Icy Pincer are giving me a hard time. What am I doing wrong? When I bind or ailment them I still only do 1 damage per hit. My teams are in low 20s range with good (for this level) equipment and these guys keep wrecking me because I can't beat them by doing 1 damage per hit in time for them to wear me down.

Parakeetman

Man, Icy Pincer are giving me a hard time. What am I doing wrong? When I bind or ailment them I still only do 1 damage per hit. My teams are in low 20s range with good (for this level) equipment and these guys keep wrecking me because I can't beat them by doing 1 damage per hit in time for them to wear me down.

Hmm Im trying to find the enemy type in the JP wiki, is that one of the DOEs on the 5th floor?

Here we go found something on Gfaqs
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/893658-etrian-mystery-dungeon/71584970

I've seen a lot of people complaining that the game doesn't do a proper job teaching you how to defeat DOEs. While I personally found their explanation to be enough to push you in the right direction and still allow you to experiment, I thought i'd make this topic for those who are still confused. Note that all of what is about to be said comes from my personal experience and experimentation, so if anyone thinks what I am saying is incorrect, feel free to correct me:

In order to do more than 1 HP of damage to a DOE, you must first debuff it. However, what debuff you should use will vary from DOE to DOE and thus, you should be prepared. The general rule is that every DOE is more susceptible to a certain bind or status affliction that it is compared to others. What you want to do is figure out which ones the DOE you are fighting is most susceptible to.

In terms of binds, the general rule of Etrian Odyssey applies - if it looks like it uses it a lot, you should bind it. Icy Pincer's are known for their large arm scythes, so it's best to try and use use arm binds on it. I should also note - again, this is in my experience - that only certain binds will open up the DOE to damage. I tried leg binding a certain DOE and even though it worked, I still didn't do more than 1 HP of damage. It was only when I had binded something else - I assume it was the one it was more vulnerable to - that I managed to do more damage.

In terms of status afflictions, similar rules apply. You have to find which afflictions the DOE is "weak" against. I was fighting both a Golden Deer and Furyhorn at the same time when one of my Hexers used a poison spell which poisoned the both of them and immediately allowed me to wail on them until they died. Note that even though DOEs may susceptible to multiple kinds of status afflictions, some last longer than others. Something i'm noticing a lot is that my Runemaster keeps paralyzing DOEs. I then attack with my ninja which does about 75 HP of damage, but immediately after the paralysis went away and my group continued to just do 1 HP of damage. This happened over and over again during my experimentation.

And before anyone gets confused you do NOT have to get both a bind and status affliction to start dealing heavy damage. You only have to do one or other.

It probably goes without saying, but I highly suggest having either a Gunner or Hexer around since both of them learn attacks that can bind legs, arms, and the head. I also suggest having a Blast point ready so you can use the Blast command to manually control all of your characters as well.

There is a rule in debuffing: small D.O.E.s need to have a debuff to receive normal damage. Big D.O.E.s need 2 debuffs to receive normal damage. That may be the reason why you couldn't do any damage to a big D.O.E. if you only bind one part of it.

There is no D.O.E. inmune to any binds or status. Even if they resist electricity they can be paralyzed.

There is a blast skill that binds arms, legs and head of all monsters in a room for 5 turns. That is very useful if you go solo. This blast skill ALWAYS work, but it is a level 3 skill. Upgrade your guild to obtain it, it's very useful.
*basically longer ver of what Derkon said.

omlet

Must be the two-at-once thing. I will try that next time I find another one. Pretty sure my fort teams have the members to do it, just need to set their skills so they will use the right ones.

bon

I just started this game and I'm loving it so far. It really feels like a perfect mix of EO and Shiren. As a fan of both of those this is like a dream game.

Parakeetman

I just started this game and I'm loving it so far. It really feels like a perfect mix of EO and Shiren. As a fan of both of those this is like a dream game.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Yeah was quite surprised to see how well it turned out overall considering its such an odd mix of the 2 genres esp the whole idea of a party system. Was highly skeptical at first too when the initial announcement trailers came out lol.

Really hope that if they do up a 2nd title they will make improvements to the AI as that would greatly help the overall experience. :) But still quite the fun little title for such an odd mashup of genres.

omlet

Ive been stuck on the 5th dungeon for a while now, playing through other titles at the same time so progress is real slow. D:

I just started the 5th dungeon this week with my main team and I gotta say this game has been so easy it gets a little boring at times. Maybe my party comp is just too strong (P/G/D/H around lv26) or maybe I'm not pressing aggressively enough on my exploration pacing, but I've only had one wipe out and that was early in the game when I was still getting used to it.

This far into the game I still have never even used a Burst skill at all! I don't even know how to because I have never felt like I needed to figure out how lol. By toggling skills I can control my party's AI actions well enough and then on bosses you get to control everyone individually.

Even the addition of the wandering box horde ambush (or whatever it's called) system where I'm fighting 10 enemies at once in a room doesn't feel exciting thanks to the volume of room-wide ailment/bind scrolls you can pick up in dungeons and my Hexer playing puppetmaster. Losing two forts to icy pincers due to the two ailments thing on large DOEs was mildly frustrating but wasn't a progress-blocker.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm having fun with EMD. The exploration element isn't as interesting as a mainline EO game but it's still compelling and the flexibility you get with your guild roster is really neat because I can go try out other parties without that same degree of "starting over" feeling you get in a mainline EO. Maybe it'll get a little more challenging from here on out.

Parakeetman

I just started the 5th dungeon this week with my main team and I gotta say this game has been so easy it gets a little boring at times. Maybe my party comp is just too strong (P/G/D/H around lv26) or maybe I'm not pressing aggressively enough on my exploration pacing, but I've only had one wipe out and that was early in the game when I was still getting used to it.

This far into the game I still have never even used a Burst skill at all! I don't even know how to because I have never felt like I needed to figure out how lol. By toggling skills I can control my party's AI actions well enough and then on bosses you get to control everyone individually.

Even the addition of the wandering box horde ambush (or whatever it's called) system where I'm fighting 10 enemies at once in a room doesn't feel exciting thanks to the volume of room-wide ailment/bind scrolls you can pick up in dungeons and my Hexer playing puppetmaster. Losing two forts to icy pincers due to the two ailments thing on large DOEs was mildly frustrating but wasn't a progress-blocker.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm having fun with EMD. The exploration element isn't as interesting as a mainline EO game but it's still compelling and the flexibility you get with your guild roster is really neat because I can go try out other parties without that same degree of "starting over" feeling you get in a mainline EO. Maybe it'll get a little more challenging from here on out.

Yeah it does seem like if you over level, unless you get totally swarmed and the squishy characters get surrounded for the most part you should be pretty safe. Though the irritating thing is just how they made the DOE fights though as dont like that you need to status effect them first before doing damage and such. D:

Indeed good point about the room wide effect items, since I have to agree that they are a bit too plentiful as I have a good stock of them back at the inn lol.

I really hope the next game they add in a more difficult mode for folks that want a higher challenge. Im around lv 28? I think and yeah most normal enemies melt when they go running in front of my characters. Or like the rune master will just go throwing spells off at something in the distance which I will never see and only proof of said targets existence is the exp numbers flying over my head :D

The boss fights seem to be a bit more just cheese the hell out of things than a challenge which is a little unfortunate. Still will see how everything goes as I slowly progress further in the game!

I've been stuck on the last 10 floors of the final
(12th)
dungeon. Either being ~lv48 is too low or the Elemental enemies with their room wide AOEs are just plain old artificial difficulty. Literally nothing else in the entire game has killed me so consistently. Nothing else in the dungeon even does close to the same amount of damage. It's really killing my drive to finish the damn thing.

I haven't finished the second level 1
(the 11th)
dungeon either but thats mostly a matter of getting a good run. Been just doing Wanderer Gunner duo runs of that.

Anyone have some tips on how to level grind quickly? . _.

Parakeetman

I've been stuck on the last 10 floors of the final
(12th)
dungeon. Either being ~lv48 is too low or the Elemental enemies with their room wide AOEs are just plain old artificial difficulty. Literally nothing else in the entire game has killed me so consistently. Nothing else in the dungeon even does close to the same amount of damage. It's really killing my drive to finish the damn thing.

I haven't finished the second level 1
(the 11th)
dungeon either but thats mostly a matter of getting a good run. Been just doing Wanderer Gunner duo runs of that.

Anyone have some tips on how to level grind quickly? . _.

You can try using those DLC quests along with the EXP up food. Or go with smaller party numbers, as the more PT members you run with the more your EXP gets divided up. Thats what JP wikis say anyways in regards to leveling faster.

For going it solo they suggest using a gunner with the skill that hits enemies at random in the room to kill the Red Pooka with.

Parakeetman

Btw all those who have the game or will be getting it I suggest you do so and grab the free DLC while you still can as the deadline is May 5th 2015.

Ppgvijq.png

1I7ob09.png

Have you been stocking White Potions from the DLC Red Pooka quest? I've got like 20-something of them by now in storage that I've been saving in case I hit a roadblock like you describe.

I did the Pooka quest once then kept forgetting to re-accept it ; _;
Is the best way to kill those also blowback spam?

omlet

I did the Pooka quest once then kept forgetting to re-accept it ; _;
Is the best way to kill those also blowback spam?

I haven't tried blowback sigil spam; does it actually do damage to them? I can usually take them down in time with my dancer and gunner proccing enough extra basic attacks to take them out before they can run away. Probably about 1 out of 4 gets away from me. I'll try the sigil next time I see one.

I haven't tried blowback sigil spam; does it actually do damage to them? I can usually take them down in time with my dancer and gunner proccing enough extra basic attacks to take them out before they can run away. Probably about 1 out of 4 gets away from me. I'll try the sigil next time I see one.

The sigil itself doesn't do damage but hitting a wall/enemy does 5 damage. They're pretty useful for the gold guardians since they only have 10 hp.

Parakeetman

The sigil itself doesn't do damage but hitting a wall/enemy does 5 damage. They're pretty useful for the gold guardians since they only have 10 hp.

You know thats a good point I never thought of using it that way. Will most def have to try that.

You know thats a good point I never thought of using it that way. Will most def have to try that.

Doesn't have to be just the blowback sigil either. Anything that pushes back works too, like the Wanderer or Protector skills. The sigils just have the advantage of being infinite range so they're "safest"

omlet

Yeah, confirmed at lunch break that the blowback sigils do hurt pookas same as anything else if you fling them into something.

Parakeetman

Doesn't have to be just the blowback sigil either. Anything that pushes back works too, like the Wanderer or Protector skills. The sigils just have the advantage of being infinite range so they're "safest"

Yeah, confirmed at lunch break that the blowback sigils do hurt pookas same as anything else if you fling them into something.

Nice I can use my wanderer then as I looked at my vault I think I wasted all of those blowback sigils that I had lol

Guess Ill do some lower level dungeons and try to gather up some again. Need to find older resources anyways so it all works out :D

chrono01

PSA: Tonight's the last night to get the five pieces of free DLC for EMD.
Thanks for the reminder. I've owned the game since release but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess I'll open my copy now just to download the free DLC before it expires.

Shiina

so am i switching leaders to gather stuff from the ground? seems tedious.

This is why I made an additional Princess and Wanderer with full harvest skills so I could just put them in my party and gather when I needed something. Having those skills on my main party was a waste of skill points I figured.

This is why I made an additional Princess and Wanderer with full harvest skills so I could just put them in my party and gather when I needed something. Having those skills on my main party was a waste of skill points I figured.

yea, seems like a good idea. i only had to gather for quests so far.

Parakeetman

Dont forget to switch to the character with the gather skill too when you go to gather from a spot. Kinda weird they did it that way, than how in the EO games as long as they were in the party it took effect.

Hey guys,

sorry to post in here but i can't make a new thread (junior member :c) really want to get into these games which is better Etrian Odyssey Untold The Millennium Girl or Legends of the titan? or wait for this one?

sorry to be a pain, thank you

Zweizer

Banned
Hey guys,

sorry to post in here but i can't make a new thread (junior member :c) really want to get into these games which is better Etrian Odyssey Untold The Millennium Girl or Legends of the titan? or wait for this one?

Either Untold or Legend of the Titan (also just referred as EO4) is fine. It all depends on whether you want to get the proper introduction to the series (Untold Classic Mode), or if you prefer an easier and all-around more polished game (EO4).

I don't think starting with EMD is a good idea, as it's a spinoff game with a very different style of gameplay. Basically, it's Shiren the Wanderer/Mystery Dungeon with an Etrian Odyssey skin.

If you have more quesitons, feel free to ask in the Etrian Odyssey COmmunity OT~

Parakeetman

Hey guys,

Yeah head over to the community thread, you will most def get all of your questions answered there.

Oh man, seeing this bumped... I played more of this game yesterday, I reached the 6th Dungeon and I don't know if I want to keep playing, someone inspire me.

Also, I heard that the game has
NINE FUCKING
post-game dungeons, I'm scared.
Hey guys,

Get Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan.

omlet

Good to see gourds are as mean as ever in EMD. lol... didn't wipe but had to abort my last attempt at a boss run due to having to use a couple nectars against one on the way down.

My team is in the mid 30s diving into Muspel and things finally feel like they're slowing down a bit... like the game isn't getting "harder" just almost slower. Kinda feeling like I can't do any damage with my party and it's kind of a drag.

Trash battles take a long time. My team is durable* but my dancer is like... my top damage and my healer at the same time. Hexer's really there as CC so her lack of appreciable damage is expected, but Gunner feels so weak. I really don't understand the decision to make guns so much weaker than other weapons of similar tier. Elemental shots are not bad but drain MP way too fast for anything besides DOE/boss fights so I keep those skills disabled for the AI and use them myself when I feel the need. My gunner has a +20 weapon and still hits like a baby on enemies in the lower floors of this dungeon.

Am I just underleveled or something? I even tried an alternate party with a RM instead of my H and kill speed wasn't that much better if I tried to conserve TP.

*My hexer got separated from my main party and walked into an enemy ambush room... she survived 20 turns in there solo while my main party made it to the nearest stairs! Sleep/bind/confuse roulette had them locked down with TP to spare lol

Top Bottom