• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

Laconic

Banned
Some tips / info. Minor gameplay spoilers. For the record I've gotten to the final superboss of the post-game, but havent beat him yet (taking a small break, it took a while to get there):

-I found Gunners to be extremely useful for regular exploration. Having a long range attack along with elemental shots helped in just about every situation.

-There are a total of
_7_
main dungeons before the credits with a few side dungeons. The game continues on after that with
_4_
more regular main dungeons as well as
_3_
regular side dungeons. Additionally, there are
_2_
dungeons with a special rule that you start back at level one with no equipment when you enter. You have to work with what loot/items/exp you get in the dungeon only.

-I had my main exploration team (Landsknecht, Gunner, Runemaster) max out their item loot skills early on. This means I got lots of pick ups from those spots, so more money and better equipment becomes available in the shop quickly. (I never had an issue with money)

-You can put reserve units in forts to have them gain EXP as well. (I think it's pretty darn close to 100% the same exp your battle party gets). I had a secondary Landsknecht/Gunner/Runemaster that I did not put item collection abilities on, so they would have more combat abilities. The idea was to swap to this team for boss fights and such, but honestly I didn't really need to despite 10 skill points allocated to abilities useless in combat on my main team.

-I had a third team (Hexer, Dancer, Wanderer, Ninja) used mostly as my fort squad. When you encounter a DOE at a fort, your 4-man exploration team and your stationed 4-man squad at the fort team up to take the DOE on. This is honestly a pretty sure-fire way to beat these buggers.

-Some of the later dungeons have ~8 DOEs floating around, which if you want to go down the dungeon normally, can be a huge headache. What I did was create a fort at the top-most floor, and waited for DOEs to come to me. It takes some time, but clearing them out before actually trying to get to the bottom makes things a lot less frustrating.

Have fun.

What was the 4th unit in those teams?

EDIT:

I saw the answer, in a later post.

Medic... interesting.

I think I'm going to try Pally, Dancer, Princess, DPS.

Shiina

What was the 4th unit in those teams?

EDIT:

I saw the answer, in a later post.

Medic... interesting.

I think I'm going to try Pally, Dancer, Princess, DPS.

Dancer and Princess kinda overlap themselves in their roles, consider taking only one or the other.

Seda

Wanderers can definitely be useful later on when they have their specialized enemy slayer abilities.

Ohnonono

I see a lot of parties without a protector but from all the atlus streams it seems like you really NEED one at the start. Is the Land used correctly just as effective most of the time? i.e. is the protector more of a class when you REALLY need a tank, like on a specific boss or D.O.E?

Note: This would be nice because it opens up spots of the cool but different classes like Hexer/Gunner/Wanderer/Ninja.

spiritfox

I see a lot of parties without a protector but from all the atlus streams it seems like you really NEED one at the start. Is the Land used correctly just as effective most of the time? i.e. is the protector more of a class when you REALLY need a tank, like on a specific boss or D.O.E?

Note: This would be nice because it opens up spots of the cool but different classes like Hexer/Gunner/Wanderer/Ninja.

You don't need one but it'll make your game much easier. Heavier classes like Landshark or Wanderer can semi tank, and Ninja has a skill to divert attention like Protector's Taunt.

Shiina

Protectors are really useful because Provoke is a total aggro magnet and the def buff is considerable.

Always loved the art style of these games but never really enjoyed the kinda old school rpg format. I do however, love Mystery Dungeon games so this is a lovely combination. Bestbuy sent out my copy today, I can't wait~

Edit: Or not, apperantly they tried delivery at 7AM for some reason even though the email said it would be in the afternoon.. tomorrow it is then I guess. :|

Ohnonono

Got my copy from Gamestop! Can't wait to put a couple hours in tonight. Work will be torture. I always have a hard time getting down the sort of "workflow" in these games in order to make progression. Hopefully I do better this time. Would love a Female Protector avatar if anyone here has the skills to make that happen :D

Zweizer

Banned
Would love a Female Protector avatar if anyone here has the skills to make that happen :D

Something like that?

7UWcz13.png

If you want something more specific, please say so.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wanderers can definitely be useful later on when they have their specialized enemy slayer abilities.

The ability to play "dig-dug" with the dungeons is pretty awesome. Thought that was something cool with being able to dig through walls. And how explosions from enemies can also destroy walls in the dungeons. :D

Ohnonono

Would replacing the Land with some other classes be a viable option or does it have some "must have" type skills. In other words, Prot/Hexer/Medic/Gunner, or Prot/Wander/Medic/Gunner or Spellcaster for elemental stuff?

Do different classes take different amounts of exp to level? My runemaster (who is now level 4) has been leveling up far more quickly than my gunner (still level 2).

tuffy

I feel obligated to have a Protector in my party for some reason.

But I like the idea of bringing in a Gunner, Runemaster and Medic to fill out my team.

spiritfox

Do different classes take different amounts of exp to level? My runemaster (who is now level 4) has been leveling up far more quickly than my gunner (still level 2).

Seems like it. It'll matter less as you gain more levels since all my characters are pretty even now.

I'd use a Landshark but they went with the WRONG male version, I love the Androgynous one soooooooooo much.

Well they went with the wrong female one so they had to make it even =P

vareon

Phew, almost died in the third dungeon. I wanted to go to the fourth but I don't quit grasp the fort/D.O.E. system yet.

Shiina

Phew, almost died in the third dungeon. I wanted to go to the fourth but I don't quit grasp the fort/D.O.E. system yet.

Basically, do not ever let a DOE get to the town. You will be instantly teleported back, lose your entire inventory, most of your money and one random item per character (so the same as if you died). On top of that it will destroy a random (I think) district, which will take time (2 or 3 dungeon visits I believe) or a lot of money to repair. Until then it will be entirely out of commission.
Every time a DOE enters a map with a fort a battle will begin where you can use up to 8 characters (if you have a party stationed at the fort and bring your own party there but I'm not sure how that works exactly) to try and defeat it. DOEs only take damage when they have status ailments on them so make sure you have something that causes it. If a DOE enters an unmanned fort it will destroy it and go away for the time being.
Dungeons can have a lot of DOEs at the same time, too, so be careful.

vall03

Do you guys now have a job or what... I'm stuck here for the next seven hours ;-;

At least I'm not European, now that would be suffering.

Different timezones, It's currently 12:45 AM here, I also don't have work today, unless I get called which will start 1PM so no big deal for me right now.

Also, downloading the game now on the eShop. Though I have a bad feeling I'm going to fall asleep first before the download finishes.

vareon

Basically, do not ever let a DOE get to the town. You will be instantly teleported back, lose your entire inventory, most of your money and one random item per character (so the same as if you died). On top of that it will destroy a random (I think) district, which will take time (2 or 3 dungeon visits I believe) or a lot of money to repair. Until then it will be entirely out of commission.
Every time a DOE enters a map with a fort a battle will begin where you can use up to 8 characters (if you have a party stationed at the fort and bring your own party there but I'm not sure how that works exactly) to try and defeat it. DOEs only take damage when they have status ailments on them so make sure you have something that causes it. If a DOE enters an unmanned fort it will destroy it and go away for the time being.
Dungeons can have a lot of DOEs at the same time, too, so be careful.

So quickly build a fort, station a 4-person party (well equipped) and hope to defeat DOE there? Managing two parties is going to cost a lot.

Shiina

So quickly build a fort, station a 4-person party (well equipped) and hope to defeat DOE there? Managing two parties is going to cost a lot.

The forts themselves provide equipment for four characters so the second party doesn't need to be equipped. Definitely build a fort but whether you actually station people there and try to fight the DOE is a different question.

Seda

The ability to play "dig-dug" with the dungeons is pretty awesome. Thought that was something cool with being able to dig through walls. And how explosions from enemies can also destroy walls in the dungeons. :D

Well, I more meant how
the Dragon Killer ability works pretty well on the dragon bosses
:p

ohlawd

Canada fucking strikes again

gonna leave in two hours to see if stores have it in stock (I doubt it as the site says online only)

omlet

Mine shipped out yesterday but I opted for cheap/slow shipping so should be here by the weekend. Pretty excited for this despite having no shortage of games on-hand to play.

Monster Hunter is gonna have to give up the cart slot in my 3DS for now aside from possible online sessions with friends.

jackal27

Banned
Been playing my copy all afternoon! I am loving this so far. It's like everything I love from each of these series fills in nicely what's generally lacking from each series. Well done.

I really enjoy the way the MD games play but I fucking hate the slow text crawl, unskippable everything, and how long they take to get moving every game

Does this have a bunch of bullshit around it? I could care less about what's going on in the game but like EO games.

I really enjoy the way the MD games play but I fucking hate the slow text crawl, unskippable everything, and how long they take to get moving every game

Does this have a bunch of bullshit around it? I could care less about what's going on in the game but like EO games.

You can set the text speed to instant in the options.

Camjo-Z

Decided to go with Wanderer, Gunner, Hexer, and Medic. So far it's pretty fun, although I kind of wish they'd stuck with the simple "go down to the bottom" style of dungeons rather than having this alternate path stuff. I guess it adds a little variety and choice though, so I can't complain too much.

Found a copy from Gamestop (out of 3 in stock) and bought it right before work.

Will give it a shot after work.

The last MD I played was some of Pokemon ones. Not sure how different this one will be.

I am literally on my first dungeon and Mauricio the Dancer suddenly ran off on her own, got wrecked causing a monster to power up and then it wiped my party.

I fucking swear.

Top Bottom