• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection is $79.99

Belthazar

The only comfortable way to play this without a touchscreen will be with the auto-map function on... but doing so will remove the main reason why those games were so fun and special originally. This release is basically a waste of time of everyone involved. And really, 14,99 each + the entire collection for 39,99 would already be a lot.

Still can't quite understand how Atlus decides on pricing those things... This and Nocturne both have very high prices, while the Persona ports (which is their biggest franchise) are dirt cheap.

Last edited:

Doom85

I will stick to my 3DS games thanks.

The trailer demonstrated quite well why it will not be comfortable to play/look at anyway. These games were created with a separate touch screen + pencil in mind. Good luck drawing maps and walls with the joystick or your finger.

I mean look at this :

Etrian-Odyssey-Origins-Collection_2023_02-08-23_001-1024x576.jpg

Good luck not even needed as they added the auto map feature with these new versions so I can finally play these games without killing the pacing constantly. They’re solid games, but the drawing map features just felt like a cheap way to be “unique” among dungeon crawlers.

Power Pro

Good luck not even needed as they added the auto map feature with these new versions so I can finally play these games without killing the pacing constantly. They’re solid games, but the drawing map features just felt like a cheap way to be “unique” among dungeon crawlers.
Are the maps in these games random or unique every time? Only one of these type of games I played was the first Persona Q, and while it was novel at first, it became kinda tedious. Eventually I realized I could just look up the maps online and just draw the maps as soon as I started a new area, because the maps were not random or different for each play through.

Unless the maps change every time you play, I also don't really see the point of the map drawing feature.

Doom85

Are the maps in these games random or unique every time? Only one of these type of games I played was the first Persona Q, and while it was novel at first, it became kinda tedious. Eventually I realized I could just look up the maps online and just draw the maps as soon as I started a new area, because the maps were not random or different for each play through.

Unless the maps change every time you play, I also don't really see the point of the map drawing feature.

It’s been a long time since I played one, but IIRC the maps are fixed so they should be the same for all players.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
bruh those games are best played and MADE for fucking dual screens.
get them on ds or 3ds.

don't get the first ones get the last one on 3ds.. been on sale for many times at sub 10 dollar.. games before for 5
legit what the fuck do not get this game on anything else then a ds or 3ds

Mr.ODST

Was looking forward to this as I love the games ... Price is like .. yeah fuck that £80 for some slightly spruced up DS games hahahahah

NanaMiku

Not according to the Steam page.

Steam, sure. what I meant is for the Switch version. In the Japanese eShop, it mention the supported language is Japanese only

c434314a6c.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's actually cheaper on consoles. . .good lord. Never played these titles other than a few hours with I think V (the one with the tree and the guild) and it is a fine "gridder" (I believe is the name). Be interesting to play this with "HD" graphics and an updated HUD.

. ..and come on folks, the map is obviously not the large the entire time. The trailer clearly shows a more reasonable minimap, with the fuller map being the toggle and where you do your marking.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Games release today.

Still baffling that they thought $40 each was a good price point for these.

EDIT: also LOL at the PC versions being packaged with Denuvo. Double-fuck that.

Last edited:
Dungeon crawlers are right up my alley, but without regional prices, the trilogy costs as much as three brand new AAA releases around here. Even if I could get all three for the price of one, it would still be too expensive for what they are. No, thank you!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Where can you buy this? I don’t see it for sale anywhere.
Steam Link:

It was supposed to unlock 33 minutes ago, seems like it got delayed?

Sleepwalker

You can buy jedi survivor and dead space for about $10 more than this collection costs on my steam region. Lmao

Last edited:

IAmRei

Interesting. I thought 7th Dragon was great (OST is god tier). I liked the more recent Wizardry games as well. I'm not hugely into super old school first person dungeon crawlers, but I get the appeal on some level. I just think there's got to be better versions of it than these. But the series obviously has fans; just not for me I guess.
7th dragoon is a great game, but the amount of random encounter is biiiit too high IMO, grindfest also might bother some people. but i agree that game is awesome

Pejo

Gold Member
Absolutely bizarre price for what amounts to a solid but not spectacular collection. 40 for all 3 would have been easier to stomach, and is all I would pay for this to keep me from just digging out my 3DS.

I'm not sure if Atlas has no faith that it will sell so they jacked up the price to milk anyone that buys it at launch, or if they legitimately think a remake of a niche dungeon crawler series in 2023 deserves that kind of pricetag.

lordrand11

This remaster of the first three games was announced during the Nintendo Direct yesterday.

I love these games (and there are three of them) but DAMN.
Has there been any news on whether this will receive a physical release or just the digital? I've been trying to find if this and Baten Kaitos Remasters will have physical releases

Fake

Absolutely bizarre price for what amounts to a solid but not spectacular collection. 40 for all 3 would have been easier to stomach, and is all I would pay for this to keep me from just digging out my 3DS.

I'm not sure if Atlas has no faith that it will sell so they jacked up the price to milk anyone that buys it at launch, or if they legitimately think a remake of a niche dungeon crawler series in 2023 deserves that kind of pricetag.

Dude the price of Atlus here in Brazil is like three times any other game.

I really don't understand Atlus. Dragons Crown have a nice price.

jshackles

_Ex_

Keep in mind all the new material in the 3DS Untold versions of EO1 and EO2 aren't in this collection. No badass Madhouse anime cutscenes, no 3D modeled animated enemies, no Untold specific stratum material. Nope. Just "HD" versions of EO1-3 as they were originally designed.

It is possible to buy the HD versions of these games piecemeal through the Nintendo store. But they are still $39.99 a piece. :lollipop_open_mouth: Which is freaking ridiculous, especially for digital purchases you don't really own (in an archival sense) and can never resell. And that doesn't include the DLC either (yes there's DLC for each game).

Shifty1897

This is the most egregious price gouging from a publisher since...

...This morning when we found out a single cosmetic set in Diablo IV could be $28. It's a shame, I would have bought this collection at $60 but I ain't paying $80 for it. I'll just download Etrian Odyssey 4 on my 3DS and play that again.

BlakeofT

This is the most egregious price gouging from a publisher since...

...This morning when we found out a single cosmetic set in Diablo IV could be $28. It's a shame, I would have bought this collection at $60 but I ain't paying $80 for it. I'll just download Etrian Odyssey 4 on my 3DS and play that again.
Didn't the 3DS games get heavily discounted regularly? Maybe if that happens in this case, it'll bring the price down to a reasonable spot.

Top Bottom