• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V Launch Edition announced for NA

RedBoot

The official thread for the Japanese version of EO V lays out some of the new stuff. IV's a lot different and worth playing too, but V is going to have many improvements.

I hadn't read up on this game much since there was such a long span between the JPN release and the localization announcement, so it's interesting to read about the new races and classes. Hound class is an absolute must for my playthrough. :)

Are the "secondary titles" actually another class, or do they just modify stats or add abilities (kind of like the title systems from Tales of)? The latter sounds kind of cool, I'd probably prefer that to standard multiclassing, which always feels like it makes it too easy to break the game.

spiritfox

I hadn't read up on this game much since there was such a long span between the JPN release and the localization announcement, so it's interesting to read about the new races and classes. Hound class is an absolute must for my playthrough. :)

Are the "secondary titles" actually another class, or do they just modify stats or add abilities (kind of like the title systems from Tales of)? The latter sounds kind of cool, I'd probably prefer that to standard multiclassing, which always feels like it makes it too easy to break the game.

Second names are basically specializations. You pick one tree of two to go down that focuses on an aspect of the class's abilities, and it'll unlock skills based on that specialization. For example, Dragoons have a tree that focuses on defense, and another that focuses on gun techs.

All characters also have a racial tree that gives them race based skills.

RedBoot

Second names are basically specializations. You pick one tree of two to go down that focuses on an aspect of the class's abilities, and it'll unlock skills based on that specialization. For example, Dragoons have a tree that focuses on defense, and another that focuses on gun techs.

All characters also have a racial tree that gives them race based skills.

Ah, that makes sense. Should be fun, I like how much heavier the character customization seems to be in this one. Thanks!

Forward

I already purged, in advance. Currently rockin' 'dat Arcanist body image. So yeah, I am now prepared to skim like mad looking for portraits that don't make O.G. Bronies almost look not contemptable and baby soft by comparision. Seriously - wtf, with the Bronies... halfings were cool, once upon a time (2nd Edition/Krynn R.I.P.) I am running Human and Elf only. Speaking of Elves - wtf is the point of Bunny Girls if a game already has Elves? Is it Japanese-culture self-insertion?

Oh I really like the design and colours on that art book. I'm kind of over this sort of thing though. I'd rather have a full length Etrian Odyssey art book and pick up the full OST on iTunes.

Damn I'm going to miss this series when dual screen gaming is dead. =/

Hyoukokun

Oh I really like the design and colours on that art book. I'm kind of over this sort of thing though. I'd rather have a full length Etrian Odyssey art book and pick up the full OST on iTunes.

Damn I'm going to miss this series when dual screen gaming is dead. =/
I've been wanting to try making an EO homage on PC for a while. It seems weird that there's no real equivalent available, outside of maybe Starcrawlers (which is very different thematically).

At the least I want to futz around with mouse and capacitive touch based mapping options. I refuse to believe that a stylus is a hard requirement for it to feel good.

redcrayon

I see EOV is up for pre-order on Amazon UK from a company called Koch International- I thought it was Deep Silver that published in Europe? Maybe they are a third party seller?

sphinx

the piano man
I see EOV is up for pre-order on Amazon UK from a company called Koch International- I thought it was Deep Silver that published in Europe? Maybe they are a third party seller?

can you give us a link?? I can't find it anywhere..

redcrayon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074H2QDNN/

Whilst I want to believe it's like ~£5/6 more expensive then the other stores due to having the launch stuff with it, it's probably just Atlus tax and what I want to call Amazon tax.

Also as a heads up you can pre order it for sub £30 from Shop4world/Shopto/365gaming/Zavvi/etc if you're looking to save a little bit.
Most likely Amazon tax- the price will often vary there quite a lot before launch and anyone who pre-ordered will pay the lowest price it was offered at, not that I'm defending it.

Would this be a good entry point for newcomers?

Should be fine, though if you have the means to do so, I suggest trying EOIV if only to get a feel for the series. Etrian Odyssey tends to welcome party experimentation/planning and has some fair amount of options in that respect, so it might be overwhelming at first, but I'd say you'll find yourself at home before long.

Top Bottom