• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU PSN Pre-order rules changed?

playXray

As far back as I can remember, PS4 pre-orders on the EU PSN store have not been charged until a day or so before release, even if you pre-order a year in advance. This is a different policy to elsewhere in the world, where you are required to pay upfront for pre-orders. According to NeoGAF legend, there is some European legislation that requires this cancellation policy to be in place - either way, it's a good thing for EU citizens and I was surprised to learn that it's not the case for other PSN stores.

However, yesterday I was browsing the store and found the pre-order for Star Ocean 5, along with the following message:

"PRE-ORDER - IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED"

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...82-CUSA03219_00-STAROCEAN5PREORD?scope=sceapp

Is this a new thing? Is it technically allowed, or has there been some kind of policy change? I will be sad if the current EU pre-order policy reverts to payment upfront for whatever reason.

Wace

Noticed that on South Park FBW, but I've assumed it's a payment for immediate Stick of Truth. Haven't preordered yet, though, so I cannot tell if it is.

For those of us in countries with volatile currency it's a good change, actually.

gossi

I just preordered No Man's Sky and it said the same thing. But then it didn't take any payment. After ordering it said I would be billed on launch.

kriskrosbbk

I remember a case where I preordered Watch Dogs and there was some issues with the transactions not processed on time prior release so I needed to wait a full day in order to play WD where my fellows that bought it physical were already playing. I prefer the new setting.

eloxx

It has been the case for a few games in the last few months. For certain titles it makes perfect sense, for example Infinite Warfare that comes with the MW remaster. Especially now, that it is playable 30 Days early.

Rich!

As I said in the other thread, that warning means this:

You are still entitled by law to a full refund on any digital purchase made in the UK within the cooling off period.

Sony are trying to dissuade people from possibly doing so by making them pay full price immediately. They legally cannot refuse a refund, so this is what they've chosen to do.

South Park fractured but whole gives immediate access to Stick of Truth so kinda makes sense.
But does it actually take the payment straight away? Seems it's not always the case according to a post above.

Anyone here been billed yet for their south park pre order?

ManeKast

I guess because you get bonus themes in star ocean, seems a new loophole related to any virtual free goodies you get. Fair enough I say.

JoshHood

The EU PSN Store only requires payment immediately if there is some item you get immediately.

So right now, RIGS doesn't require it, but The Last Guardian does because you get a theme to download immediately.

Withnail

Don't like this change at all. Why would I want to pay months before getting the game? This was always an advantage of the EU store.

Doesn't seem to apply to everything yet. Hopefully it's just for certain titles that come with extra stuff.

It's only for items that give you something straight away. Standard preorders work the same way.

The trick is, alot of games are starting to give away themes and other digital clutter which technically counts.

Also, on the old system, you could preorders a game, recevie an entitlement to the preorder bonuses, cancel the preorder and still get those bonuses when you did buy the game later for a cheaper price. Another example of how crappy PSNs backend is.

ManeKast

Watch all games come with a bonus theme for preordering now. It's fine by me, just means I'll wait longer to preorder digitally.

MrS

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but they have absolutely no legal grounds to charge you instantly.
And you have absolutely no obligation to pre-order a game on PSN. Sony are free to change the terms of pre-orders as they wish and it's clearly a response to people pre-ordering something, getting access to a theme or beta, and then cancelling the pre-order. So thanks to everybody who does that.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So, just to be clear, if I go to pre-order South Park on PSN, I'll get Stick of Truth straight away but I'll be charged?

playXray

The EU PSN Store only requires payment immediately if there is some item you get immediately.

So right now, RIGS doesn't require it, but The Last Guardian does because you get a theme to download immediately.

To be fair, I can see where Sony is coming from with this. Thanks for the explanation.

And how was I supposed to know ?

Check every GAF member's avatar, obviously.

latest

IbukiLordSA

Good, glad they changed it, too many people I know of that stuffed the system by preordering to get access to other content and then cancelled the orders.

And you have absolutely no obligation to pre-order a game on PSN. Sony are free to change the terms of pre-orders as they wish and it's clearly a response to people pre-ordering something, getting access to a theme or beta, and then cancelling the pre-order. So thanks to everybody who does that.
I mean sure. I don't pre order games anyway but I would assume there is EU consumer protection regarding things like this.

Edit: it makes no real difference in the long run but given Sony's track record with refunds it's a little worrying.

Top Bottom