• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU,US,JP YTD 2012 Hardware/Software Sales

I didn't have the time to extract EU hardware sales from the graph. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hardware Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Home Consoles

EU        US       JP        YTD

PS3        0.97      0.88     0.42       2.27
360        0.70      1.06     0.02       1.78
Wii        0.57      0.55     0.16       1.28

Handhelds

EU        US       JP        YTD

3DS        0.60      0.65     1.24       2.49
PSV        0.38      0.43     0.20       1.01  
PSP        0.35      0.09     0.27       0.71  
NDS        0.25      0.30     0.03       0.58

Source: Nintendo,NPD,Media Create (Up to Week 13)

My somewhat rough pixel counting gives to nearest 10K:

PS3 = 970K
360 = 700K
3DS = 600K
Wii = 570K
PSV = 380K

10l.jpg

07l.jpg

04l.jpg

11l.jpg

12l.jpg

13l.jpg

14l.jpg

08l.jpg

05l.jpg

First Half - 2012 (US,EU,JP,AU)
PS3 - 4 million

EU+AU ~ 2.0

US ~ 1.38 (NPD)

JP ~ 0.63 (MC)

360 - 3 million

US ~ 1.72 (NPD)

EU+AU ~ 1.25

JP ~ 0.04 (MC)

IHS Screen Digest (BBC)
According to data from IHS, Sony sold four million PS3s in the first half of 2012 across Europe, the US, Australia and Japan, while Microsoft sold three million Xbox 360s.

PS3 outsells competitors in Australia in first half of 2012
Citing official NPD Group Australia data, Sony said the PS3 came in at number one in the console sales position in the first half of 2012. The publisher also stated that the PS3 was the only games console in the Australian market to achieve double digit unit sales growth year-on-year over the same period.

In addition, Sony said its PlayStation hardware family--including the PS3, PSP, and the PlayStation Vita--combined accounted made up 43 percent of hardware sales in the Australian market for the first six months of 2012.

PS3 outsold its competitors in Australia during 2011
NPD figures show the PlayStation outsold the Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii in Australia during 2011, with around 400,000 consoles sold representing sales growth of 25 per cent compared to 2010.The console can now be found in around 1.5 million Australian homes.

Wii console now has an installed base of 2.4 million consoles

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Those YTD numbers match the estimates by jvm.

What I have exactly:

360: 1,067,000
PS3: 887,000
Wii: 555,000
3DS: 658,241
Vita: 435,000

Cant we reverse engineer PSV and 3DS NPD from this?

Really all the NPD for the consoles listed, some as a check on what we already have.

fernoca

Goes to show how lame are new NPDs. New Super Mario Bros. DS is in the Top 20, yet it hasn't been on the charts this year. Yet, it outsold Operation Raccoon City on PS3 which made it to the March NPD as a combined SKU.

Or how Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land has been under the Top 10 selling 100K per motnh, yet sold many other games that has been as multi-SKUs in the top.

My somewhat rough pixel counting gives to nearest 10K:

PS3 = 970K
360 = 700K
3DS = 600K
Wii = 570K
PSV = 380K

Care to try for USA also? :)

Puts PS3 ahead WW by like 90k I think. Basically tied. Not a particularly strong result for PS3 since 360 is stronger in the holidays.

Did Nintendo mention what countries they cover in EU this time? I know sometimes it is just the big 4/5, a couple reports ago they expanded greatly, but last time were back to 4/5 IIRC...

GopherD

Man those Vita numbers are ordinary. Close enough to the 3ds in the us, but way off in Europe. I thought it would be the other way around.

jman2050

If the week-by-week trend for the Vita in Europe correlates to the US at all then April NPD may end up being quite brutal for Vita.

Puts PS3 ahead WW by like 90k I think. Basically tied. Not a particularly strong result for PS3 since 360 is stronger in the holidays.

Did Nintendo mention what countries they cover in EU this time? I know sometimes it is just the big 4/5, a couple reports ago they expanded greatly, but last time were back to 4/5 IIRC...

No can do, sorry. Left my desk and therefore ImageJ. Countries are UK, Germany, France and Spain I believe.

US has already been done in the op.

Penguin

I don't know why, but looking at the charts.. the thing that stands out to me.. is that Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City sold more than FF XIII-2 on both platforms? o_O

jett

D-Member
Sad tidings for Vita. It's quite unbelievable that it's selling the worst in Japan after PSP's success.

Ezduo

Banned
I don't understand the February US hardware chart. Why does everything raise as it gets to February and then drop off afterwards? And if things continue it looks like the Vita and 3DS will cross streams in the US next month.

It's important to keep in mind the Vita came out last year in Japan, meaning the launch sales boost is included in US and EU numbers, but not Japanese numbers.

Also, it came out at the end of Feb., so both Feb. and Mar. numbers likely are greatly affected by the launch.

thuway

Sony went with traditional hardware for the Vita. They must be making a healthy profit off each unit sold when you combine the unit sold, memory card, and a game.

The Vita needs to be $199 with a 4gb Memory Card.

I don't understand the February US hardware chart. Why does everything raise as it gets to February and then drop off afterwards? And if things continue it looks like the Vita and 3DS will cross streams in the US next month.

Well I'd expect feb to be higher than january since january is just after christmas. not sure about march though, maybe game releases? someone else can probably say.

It really drives home how the consoles and handhelds have diverged between Japan and the west. If you take out the Vita launch effect the 3DS and Vita sold as much in the west as in Japan, but consoles sold 8 times as much in the west.

Fezan

so twisted metal sold around 500 k?
not that bad.

but no where to be seen in euro chart where still GT is the king

Busaiku

DS hasn't even sold 100k this year?
Pretty crazy drop.

EDIT - Woah, I totally read that wrong.
I need some sleep.

Kinda funny to see PES and GT5 so high up in the charts in Spain compared to France, Germany, and the UK. It's like they're buying all the same games they were ten years ago.

Which is not a bad thing. I love GT and PES.

PS3 could have a pretty nice ship number then. On sales of 2.3 (and that's not even the whole world). Could be up to 3.0 or something, depending. Which, looking, would be their best 1st calender Q ever. That's assuming they didn't overship in 4Q too.

I see MS shipped less than sold, 1.4 vs 1.8 (actually more since again these numbers are not the whole world). Rare but nice to know it happens. Obviously because of 4th Q overship.

DarkMehm

Just to stop people saying "worldwide": These numbers are not. Canada is missing, parts of Europe is missing, Middle/South America is completely missing, Asia including Middle East is missing and many more.

Top Bottom