• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU,US,JP YTD 2012 Hardware/Software Sales

bakedpony

PS3 could have a pretty nice ship number then. On sales of 2.3 (and that's not even the whole world). Could be up to 3.0 or something, depending. Which, looking, would be their best 1st calender Q ever. That's assuming they didn't overship in 4Q too.

I see MS shipped less than sold, 1.4 vs 1.8 (actually more since again these numbers are not the whole world). Rare but nice to know it happens. Obviously because of 4th Q overship.

It will be nice we get true world sales figures. But getting data for Asian and South American sales may be difficult?

If PS3 ships 3.0 they hit the 15mil FY forecast right on the nose. Seems possible.

They are at 12.0 through three quarters.

Equivalent EU numbers for 2011 weeks 1-13:

PS3 - 1.03M
360 - 700K
WII - 700K
NDS - 850K
3DS* - 410K
PSP - 420K

*Only two launch weeks.

PS3 is down slightly, 360 is flat, Wii is down a bit, NDS down a lot, PSP down a bit.

Adding in MC and NPD, first 13 weeks 2011:

PS3 - 2.45M
360 - 2.08M
WII - 1.99M

Zizbuka

Banned
So, PS3 is selling well and Nintendo doesn't need to go to ios? Not up on salesgaf, are those good numbers for the time?

tzare

really strange generation, the least (Since gen started)selling console is now leading sales, and Wii that has been selling like hot cakes is now last. ANd there's still room for price drops for bot PS360, they are still expensive.
Vita is not doing great but i guess it is okay considering all factors.

PS3 could have a pretty nice ship number then. On sales of 2.3 (and that's not even the whole world). Could be up to 3.0 or something, depending. Which, looking, would be their best 1st calender Q ever. That's assuming they didn't overship in 4Q too.

I see MS shipped less than sold, 1.4 vs 1.8 (actually more since again these numbers are not the whole world). Rare but nice to know it happens. Obviously because of 4th Q overship.

The shipped 2.1M on known sell-through of 2.45M for the first calendar quarter last year. So a shipment of 2M matching their FY forecast would fit.

I think all three tend to overship at least a little in the holiday quarter. It's probably easy to push product on retailers.

If PS3 ships 3.0 they hit the 15mil FY forecast right on the nose. Seems possible.

They are at 12.0 through three quarters.

No, Sony will ship 2m, possibly up to 2.5m if it has been a good quarter in markets not mentioned in the data. The forecast is 14m now.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Handhelds

EU US JP YTD

3DS 0.60 0.65 1.24 2.49
PSV 0.38 0.43 0.20 1.01
PSP 0.35 0.09 0.27 0.71
NDS 0.25 0.30 0.03 0.58
So vita is not as doomed as jap sales weekly tell us, in jap the difference with 3ds' sales is huge, but in eu and us the difference is not big.
Weekly eu and us hardware sales would help sony and vita perception.

So vita is not as doomed as jap sales weekly tell us, in jap the difference with 3ds' sales is huge, but in eu and us the difference is not big.

US weekly sales in March would have likely drove home the point even further that it is doing terrible as it trended down from a big launch week. EU weekly sales are terrible lately, looks like about 20-25K a week.

Bruno MB

13l.jpg

I sometimes have the impression that Konami still develops the PS2 version of Pro Evolution Soccer just for us xD

Even the Wii version of FIFA 12 sells well.

Code:
Handhelds 

EU        US       YTD        

3DS        0.60      0.65     1.25       
PSV        0.38      0.43     0.81         
NDS        0.25      0.30     0.55
PSP        0.35      0.09     0.44

It will be a hard transition for the portable console market in these two big territories. Even the Wii that is barely alive almost catches the 3DS.

Celine

Those figures for EU and US are basically the front-loaded demand for Vita launch.
Too early to even do a guess on how Vita is trending in those markets.

It's true though that 3DS isn't selling nearly as well in EU or US as in Japan.

Erethian

Those figures for EU and US are basically the front-loaded demand for Vita launch.
Too early to even do a guess on how Vita is trending in those markets.

It's true though that 3DS isn't selling nearly as well in EU or US as in Japan.

Can already get a pretty good sense of how it's doing in EU because of the weekly sales breakdown, and after a big launch it's fallen heavily to the point where it's being outsold by the PSP.

Which matches up with some of the sales data we got out of countries like France.

Can anyone specify the following NPD hardware numbers?

NDS- Mar

PSP-Jan, Feb, Mar

PSV- Mar

PS3- Jan, Fev, Mar

I would love these too.

I had a range, of 200-225k for March Vita. Based on the figure of 430k for March+Feb, and that I had 225k for Feb, I was able to narrow that to 205k.

However with rounding, the number still may not be fully accurate.

jcm

OK, probably I'm dumb, but I can't for the life of me underestand the US chart. Can someone explain? It's supposed to be monthly, right? So it looks like 360 sold about 105K in February, and the PS3 about 85K and the Wii about 55K.

Obviously those numbers aren't right. They do match up, though, with the number Parmenides supplied for the quarter (if you multiply them * 10).

So what's the deal with the chart? How come I can't read the stupid thing?

BurntPork

Banned
OK, probably I'm dumb, but I can't for the life of me underestand the US chart. Can someone explain? It's supposed to be monthly, right? So it looks like 360 sold about 105K in February, and the PS3 about 85K and the Wii about 55K.

Obviously those numbers aren't right. They do match up, though, with the number Parmenides supplied for the quarter (if you multiply them * 10).

Must be average weekly sales.

Average weekly sales from NPD - so x4 for Jan, Feb and x5 for Mar.

allan-bh

It's curious how the PSP died in US, but not in Europe, speaking about western markets.

Does anyone have an explanation about it?

Miles X

Vita not doing too hot in Europe it seems. If Sony don't have a price cut planned I hope they bracing themselves for a lukewarm holiday reception!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Care to try for USA also? :)

Puts PS3 ahead WW by like 90k I think. Basically tied. Not a particularly strong result for PS3 since 360 is stronger in the holidays.

Did Nintendo mention what countries they cover in EU this time? I know sometimes it is just the big 4/5, a couple reports ago they expanded greatly, but last time were back to 4/5 IIRC...
I'm fairly sure that the notes said four countries but didn't name them. I'm guessing it's just UK, France, Germany, Spain. Isn't that the usual crew? (I'm not able to check now...)

Edit: According to my own notes (i.e. not these charts), the rounding should go the other way on a almost every U.S. number in the OP.

Road

On the presentation page:
Based on sales information by market research companies in each European country, Nintendo estimated the sales of each hardware system for the entire European market.

mclem

Vita not doing too hot in Europe it seems. If Sony don't have a price cut planned I hope they bracing themselves for a lukewarm holiday reception!

If they get to their second holiday season without doing *something*, the system really *is* completely and utterly doomed. But they'd be idiots to do that.

jcm

If they get to their second holiday season without doing *something*, the system really *is* completely and utterly doomed. But they'd be idiots to do that.

What exactly can they do? Gaming is supposed to be the proftiable part of the company. A 3DS-style price cut is going to lead to a 3DS-style bottom line. Nintendo can afford that, but I don't think Sony can.

Burai

shitonmychest57

The thing is, this utterly botched launch was all according to plan. They honestly thought it would work. This is the company that thought that Vita Heaven was a good idea.

So on that basis, I have no idea if anyone at Sony knows what the fuck is going on or what to do.

Logic would suggest they must have a plan to get out of this, but logic would also suggest that they wouldn't have launched like that either.

Saty

What i find surprising about the software charts is how how in UK and USA the top spots have newer (2012) games (primarily ME3) but France, Germany and Spain have the them filled almost exclusively with 2011 titles, with ME3 either around the bottom or out of it completely.

Any special insights?

Banned
Equivalent EU numbers for 2011 weeks 1-13:

PS3 - 1.03M
360 - 700K
WII - 700K
NDS - 850K
3DS* - 410K
PSP - 420K

*Only two launch weeks.

PS3 is down slightly, 360 is flat, Wii is down a bit, NDS down a lot, PSP down a bit.

Adding in MC and NPD, first 13 weeks 2011:

PS3 - 2.45M
360 - 2.08M
WII - 1.99M

Seems 360 is in good shape to take another year worldwide. Considering it had very similar sales last year at this time. Also has Halo 4 and a price drop this year that it didn't in 2011.

Mooreberg

Vita needs a price cut and some built in storage. They could announce a bunch of amazing games at E3 and it still would not matter without making the purchasing price more attractive.

noobie

Banned
Seems 360 is in good shape to take another year worldwide. Considering it had very similar sales last year at this time. Also has Halo 4 and a price drop this year that it didn't in 2011.

How.? when 360 has gone down more..

2011 vs 12 and using these gaf numbers

Wii sales down ~35.7% WW YoY
360 down ~14.4%
PS3 down ~7.3%

Moreover PS3 also has a chance of a price cut. I dont think if PS4 is going to launch next holiday season than PS3 is going to stay $250 till next holidays.. but it all depends how much profit margin they are enjoying right now on Vita & PS3.

kswiston

That chart seems to cherry pick. There are quite a few months on there that saw huge launches, but still an overall decline. Also, the games that they attribute to the bumps are not even consistent in size. I don't remember Portal 2 setting the world on fire sales-wise. Skyrim is not listed despite having a larger launch than almost everything on there other than the COD games and Halo 3.

Saty

Well, they are listed as 'notable releases' so they don't necessarily tribe to attribute the changes to these games, but yes you can argue which games were responsible and up to what degree.

That chart seems to cherry pick. There are quite a few months on there that saw huge launches, but still an overall decline. Also, the games that they attribute to the bumps are not even consistent in size. I don't remember Portal 2 setting the world on fire sales-wise. Skyrim is not listed despite having a larger launch than almost everything on there other than the COD games and Halo 3.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. It's all style with no actual substance behind the the analysis.

Well, they are listed as 'notable releases' so they don't necessarily tribe to attribute the changes to these games, but yes you can argue which games were responsible and up to what degree.

They do attribute it to those games and even mention Portal by name in the article. Portal sold 635K in that April. A decent amount but that's not a sales number that is overly significant.
The highest gain in 2011 was in April with 25 percent jump over the previous year due to the release of Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat.

Top Bottom