• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU,US,JP YTD 2012 Hardware/Software Sales

NavNucST3

Hasn't dropped in over 4 years and they are competing with WiiU this Xmas so we'll see. Sony needed to drop their price and who knows, they may still. They still have the 12gig option to sell in the US.

If Nintendo can't ship enough units I don't think it matters that the WiiU is launching (with respect to a 360 price move).

I believe when the 2011 thread was created the PS3 led through month 9 and then US holiday kicked in which the 360 squeaked by the PS3 (the mere mention that it was possible if not probable kicked off a slew of responses...).

I'm not sure which consoles takes the calendar year this year but I do think WiiU hurts the PS3 more in the US than it does the 360 if for no other reason than the oft dreaded "momentum" and the 360 being the favored console at the moment in the US. So one part of me thinks that while the percent decline will be greater for the 360 this US holiday that the unit decline, though lower percent decline, for the PS3 will allow for a larger gulf than last year between the PS3 and 360. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the year, the two machines moved the "exact" same unit numbers.

meta4

PS3 selling the most worldwide as usual. This wont stop the PS3 is doomed and Sony is doomed comments though. Never has and never will since USA NPD is all that matters according to some in GAF.

On topic great going for PS3. Hopefully they have enough room for price cuts next year especially for PSV in Europe. Once AC Liberation, KZ and COD hit hopefully it goes up in Europe. Expected sales all around for other consoles.

PhantomR

Banned
Goes to show how lame are new NPDs. New Super Mario Bros. DS is in the Top 20, yet it hasn't been on the charts this year. Yet, it outsold Operation Raccoon City on PS3 which made it to the March NPD as a combined SKU.

Or how Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land has been under the Top 10 selling 100K per motnh, yet sold many other games that has been as multi-SKUs in the top.

EXACTLY. The new NPD format is pitiful. We aren't getting a real picture for what software is actually selling, just what franchises are selling.

yon61

PS3 selling the most worldwide as usual. This wont stop the PS3 is doomed and Sony is doomed comments though. Never has and never will since USA NPD is all that matters according to some in GAF.

On topic great going for PS3. Hopefully they have enough room for price cuts next year especially for PSV in Europe. Once AC Liberation, KZ and COD hit hopefully it goes up in Europe. Expected sales all around for other consoles.

Not so usual actually, considering the 360 outsold the PS3 worldwide for 2011, something that took many by surprise. I also don't see how current PS3 sales have anything to do with Sony's future, especially considering that the current generation is coming to an end and sales in their own right are not hot.

donny2112

Hasn't it been best selling console worldwide for about 3 years now?

By calendar year, it hasn't been the best-selling console any of the last three years (2009, 2010, 2011). By fiscal year, it was the best-selling for the first time this past year (Apr 2011-Mar-2012). If you want to exclude Wii, then the answer to your question is 'yes' by fiscal year and 'no' by calendar year.

The holiday sales in the US are usually huge and will wipe out any lead the PS3 may have accumulated. Sony's response to this is to sell a more expensive bundle and not sell the 12GB model in the US. Sonylol.

meta4

The holiday sales in the US are usually huge and will wipe out any lead the PS3 may have accumulated. Sony's response to this is to sell a more expensive bundle and not sell the 12GB model in the US. Sonylol.

This is what I have been hearing since PS3 launched and yet overall it has sold more than 360 worldwide since its launch. Not disputing that 360 will do better in US during hols especially since Halo is being released and Sony is not releasing any of their major exclusives this year but like I said I have heard the US argument being extended worldwide without a shred of truth.

This is what I have been hearing since PS3 launched and yet overall it has sold more than 360 worldwide since its launch. Not disputing that 360 will do better in US during hols especially since Halo is being released and Sony is not releasing any of their major exclusives this year but like I said I have heard the US argument being extended worldwide without a shred of truth.

See above:

By calendar year, it hasn't been the best-selling console any of the last three years (2009, 2010, 2011). By fiscal year, it was the best-selling for the first time this past year (Apr 2011-Mar-2012). If you want to exclude Wii, then the answer to your question is 'yes' by fiscal year and 'no' by calendar year.

meta4

Not so usual actually, considering the 360 outsold the PS3 worldwide for 2011, something that took many by surprise. I also don't see how current PS3 sales have anything to do with Sony's future, especially considering that the current generation is coming to an end and sales in their own right are not hot.

Didn't MS use shipped numbers for 2011 sales data? Some of which did not get sold last year and where sold this year? Anyways my point is how the PS3 is painted as an utter failure sales wise by extrapolating US numbers as some are prone on doing. Here we have a console that has outsold the HD competition since launch in terms of total console's sold and has sold over 65 million units world wide and on the other hand we hear statements like playstation brand is doomed and not strong etc etc while Xbox is much stronger... While I agree financially the ps3 has not benefited Sony but the actual sales of the console in terms of numbers is not bad at all.

Just think about the last placed consoles in previous gens and see their sales. I expect the PS3 to overtake 360's sales when the gen ends and come in 2nd position with respect to the Wii.

PS3 is ahead of 360 by 2.7m through March-2012 since PS3's launch quarter.

Just in November and December of last year, what was the worldwide gap between the two of them? Asking to get a good idea of just how much the gap closes or expands during the huge holiday months.

donny2112

Just in November and December of last year, what was the worldwide gap between the two of them? Asking to get a good idea of just how much the gap closes or expands during the huge holiday months.

Just have the calendar Q4 shipment numbers (so Oct-Dec), but it was 360 8.2m vs. PS3 6.5m.

It's not true that ms usually outsells Sony worldwide during the holiday.

Just looking at calendar Q4 ...

2007: PS3 > 360
2008: PS3 < 360
2009: PS3 > 360
2010: PS3 = 360
2011: PS3 < 360

Since 2007, it's a tossup who wins between the two in the holiday quarter. :p

mujun

What about comparisons to how the PS2 performed, that matters, right?

Also the PS3 should be trouncing the 360 when you consider its superior library, features, free online, etc.

There might be agenda driven doomed comments but I see your positivity in the same context.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
OldJadedGamer said:
For instance for EA selling Madden Japanese sales mean nothing
Given the flatlining(actually gradual decline) of Madden for the past 6-8 years - one could say that for EA console-sales mean nothing anywhere, they sell the same either way.
But then they do have other bigger franchises - like Fifa, which has been growing everywhere, including the markets where it's traditionally not been relevant.

What about comparisons to how the PS2 performed, that matters, right?

Also the PS3 should be trouncing the 360 when you consider its superior library, features, free online, etc.

There might be agenda driven doomed comments but I see your positivity in the same context.

PS2 was a lot cheaper at this time in its life.

And I really don't see how anybody could say that PS3 should be dominating at a higher price. Its been selling more than its direct competitor.

mujun

PS2 was a lot cheaper at this time in its life.

And I really don't see how anybody could say that PS3 should be dominating at a higher price. Its been selling more than its direct competitor.

Point is that by some barometers the PS3 has sold well up to this point, by others, not so much. I don't agree with meta4's premise that there is a bunch of detractors with agendas chiming in every time PS3 sales are talked about.

meta4

Point is that by some barometers the PS3 has sold well up to this point, by others, not so much. I don't agree with meta4's premise that there is a bunch of detractors with agendas chiming in every time PS3 sales are talked about.

Point is it is selling quite well compared to its direct competitor. Very often PS3 sales are extrapolated from US sales and shown to be light years behind by some people. Also I never mentioned that there are a bunch of detractors with agendas but now that you mention it I am sure there are a few. There are however people who have no such agenda who assume the same sometimes which is why I stated that should not have been the case.

Top Bottom