• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuccoo

In terms of chances both are even. Holland got more on target, but swedish goalie kept saving. Sweden hits the bar more. In terms of posession, Holland is better, it was like 60-40.

So, holland is playing better tonight.

Miburou

Kiriku said:
Uh, I don't really think Holland played much better than Sweden. They were pretty even, both teams were very close to score. Holland didn't play impressive at all.

That's why I said "slightly better team". Both teams didn't play that well, but Holland had more chances, and Van der Saar did better in the shootouts.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
And I just could feel it in my stomach...Zlatan had been playing mediocre the whole game (they should've replaced him with Allbäck)...I just had the feeling he would miss his penalty. :/

Dekajelly

Holland deserve the win after being robbed of that Van Nistelrooy goal, which was judged to be offside and it clearly wasn't.
hypnotized.gif

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Miburou said:
That's why I said "slightly better team". Both teams didn't play that well, but Holland had more chances, and Van der Saar did better in the shootouts.

The difference is, I didn't think they were "slightly better". The teams were even, Sweden had just as many good chances to score as Holland IMO.

Miburou

Kiriku said:
The difference is, I didn't think they were "slightly better". The teams were even, Sweden had just as many good chances to score as Holland IMO.

Well, you said "I don't really think Holland played much better than Sweden." before...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Miburou said:
Well, you said "I don't really think Holland played much better than Sweden." before...

Well, I didn't say they played better either. My opinion is: they were even.

And when you consider how most people thought Holland would beat Sweden, some claiming Sweden would be "owned"...I'm feeling proud over the Swedish team. It could've gone either way. This time luck was against Sweden...but we've had luck in previous games, so I guess this evens things out. :)

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The statistics don't paint a proper picture of how the match played out IMO. Granted I didn't watch most of the first half but Sweden showed more initiative and had better chances in the second half. Not that either team played particularly well but I would have liked to see the Swedes go through.

COCKLES

being watched
Only two teams in my opinion deserved to go out of the tourny for sheer lack of passion and commitment are France & Bulgaria.

And possibly Italy.

Miburou

If I remember correctly, tempers were flaring, and Ortega was booked previously for diving. Then after a narrow save by Van der Saar, just as Ortega was about to get up, Van der Saar stood right on top of him, so that Ortega would him hit with his head while hastily getting up. It worked and he was red carded. Oh, and it was actually in the quarter finals (Holland won 2-1).

JMPovoa

The Greek are outsiders, and even though they're pretty good, they got way too careless against Russia. Had Russia been a bit more fortunate with their chances, Greece could be out of the tournament way earlier...

Solid

So sad, so sad. I'm a little drunk and sad right now :(

The managers are a couple of turds. They should've replaced Zlatan with Allbäck and NOT let Mellberg take a fucking penalty.

I hope Portugal win this goddamn tournament since Sweden can't make it through a fucking quarterfinal! GAH AT RM R;HDHG: MA: MGGM OI¤?="J¤&?"¤&"¤&

You could see that he was going to miss. He looked scared beforehand, you could just see it in his eyes. Same with Zlatan, his run-up was just too straight. He was asking for trouble because of it, technically it's harder to shot when you run at such a crap angle.

COCKLES

being watched
Miburou said:
If I remember correctly, tempers were flaring, and Ortega was booked previously for diving. Then after a narrow save by Van der Saar, just as Ortega was about to get up, Van der Saar stood right on top of him, so that Ortega would him hit with his head while hastily getting up. It worked and he was red carded. Oh, and it was actually in the quarter finals (Holland won 2-1).

Haha. I remember that. How I cheered. Ortega is a cheating little bastard.

Socreges

Banned
Very MEH regulation. Very OMGHI2U extra-time and penalty kicks. Overall, got to see it was a great game, if only for the excellent finish.

3 posts in extra-time! Madness!

I like Portugal, but I'll be cheering for Holland. A Holland/Czech final would rock way too hard.

:(

I was sad that Sweden lost...

Good thing I'm only 1/4th Swedish

Sweden will take the silver in the world cup of hockey though, that will make up for this

I found the game rather boring up until the second extra time; thats when things picked up.

The penalty shoot outs where great (possibly better than the entire match).

Good to see Holland go on. Hope they win it.....

Next is Portugal!

Mr Gump

Banned
I would of preferred to see sweeden go through due to their overall performance in the tournament up to this point but ill settle for a dutch victory.

Penalties suck. They have come up with a better way before putting an end to the game, such as like what cockles suggested.

ZLATAN should never take PK!!!!!!!!!
FUCK HIM, he is the reson why we are going home :(

Zlatan thinks he is so damn cool and that he is the best player ever!
He did not even concentrate while taking that PK, smiling at the goalie before taking the PK, acting all cool and what the hell does he do! shoots over the F##### goal!

he has a to big ego, before Euro he said in an interview to a a magazine:

News reporter: so why are you wearing gold shoes?

Zlatan: Have you ever played football on my leverl? no i dont think so!

ZLATAN YOU F###er!!!!

We deserved to win that match as we played so much better than holland.
but but when you have idiots like zlatan in the team we are bound to lose.

so 3 times it has happend that the so called star in the team shoots over or misses the goal.

Beckahm
costa
Zlatan

they are going to crucify Zlatan in sweden today hehehe

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
robertsan21 said:
he has a to big ego, before Euro he said in an interview to a a magazine:

News reporter: so why are you wearing gold shoes?

Zlatan: Have you ever played football on my leverl? no i dont think so!

ZLATAN YOU F###er!!!!

Heh, I think he said that jokingly. He was in a joking mood during that press conference.

robertsan21 said:
they are going to crucify Zlatan in sweden today hehehe

I'm not sure Zlatan's going to be blamed for the loss in Sweden that much. I think most Swedes are rather content, and that it could've gone either way. That's how penalties are, after all. I feel sorry for Mellberg though...he played great, only to finish with a deciding penalty like that. Must be really tough...he didn't want to talk to media afterwards, which I can understand. :/

Hooker

Chibbi Brady said:
You could see that he was going to miss. He looked scared beforehand, you could just see it in his eyes. Same with Zlatan, his run-up was just too straight. He was asking for trouble because of it, technically it's harder to shot when you run at such a crap angle.
Go watch the footage again, Ortega DID hit him. He even fucking jumped and his feet weren't touching the ground.

Van der Sar did lie down and pretended to be groggy but that's a part of the game, even though I hate it very much. But even if he weren't send off, that AMAZING goal of Bergkamp after that... WOW!!

Yesterday's game?! It could have gone either way. For the neutral viewer it must have been boring as hell. Sweden got their tactics right and the Dutch couldn't really get in their game. The wingers got the ball like 4 times each in regulation time. In the extra time, the players were a bit more tired and wrecked due to the extreme temperatures and Holland got to play their game. Which made the game that much more fun. Holland attacking, Sweden going on the counter.

This wasn't a match of skill and flair, but pure work. Not to mention it was a hard match, some nasty tackles (especially De Boer, he thought he hit the ball but when they showed him after the game he cringed. He didn't know he hit him that well)

And the penalties, I still can't believe it. After being eliminated on penalties in '92, '96, '98, 2000 we finallywent through on them. Next stop, Portugal. Some payback for WC'02 and I hope a better match :)

JMPovoa

For all those feeling robbed, read what the referee himself, Urs Meier had to say about the disallowed goal. :D (straight from CNNSI)

Swiss referee Urs Meier defended his decision to disallow England's goal in the 90th minute of its quarterfinal against Portugal, saying it followed an "obvious" foul on the goalkeeper.

"The goal didn't count. I didn't hesitate for a second to disallow it. If I had to start over, I'd do the exact same thing. You can't charge down a goalkeeper like that," Meier was quoted as saying in the Saturday edition of Le Matin daily.

When reminded the English were arguing the goal would likely have stood in their national leagues, Meier said, "Maybe that's the case on the other side of the Channel.

"But this wasn't the English league, it was the European Championship. And there was an obvious foul on the goalkeeper, in his box. Just because the English close their eyes, it doesn't mean we should forget that the rules exist. There was a foul, full stop. I've watched the video replays several times -- there's absolutely no doubt."

"When you lose, you always go looking for excuses," Meier added. "I'm the ideal scapegoat, but that doesn't bother me. It's not my problem. My conscience is clear."

Commenting on David Beckham's missed penalty in the shootout, he said the England captain was caught out by the quality of the pitch

"It was really bad at the penalty spot," he said. "He must not have seen the hole and also shot into a lump of turf. The day before the match the English trained penalty shooting -- but into the other goal."

Meier said he has already received 16,000 e-mails -- some containing threats -- after the English tabloid The Sun published his Internet address.

"And I guess this is only the beginning," he said.

Dekajelly

JMPovoa said:
For all those feeling robbed, read what the referee himself, Urs Meier had to say about the disallowed goal. :D (straight from CNNSI)

Swiss referee Urs Meier defended his decision to disallow England's goal in the 90th minute of its quarterfinal against Portugal, saying it followed an "obvious" foul on the goalkeeper.

"The goal didn't count. I didn't hesitate for a second to disallow it. If I had to start over, I'd do the exact same thing. You can't charge down a goalkeeper like that," Meier was quoted as saying in the Saturday edition of Le Matin daily.

When reminded the English were arguing the goal would likely have stood in their national leagues, Meier said, "Maybe that's the case on the other side of the Channel.

"But this wasn't the English league, it was the European Championship. And there was an obvious foul on the goalkeeper, in his box. Just because the English close their eyes, it doesn't mean we should forget that the rules exist. There was a foul, full stop. I've watched the video replays several times -- there's absolutely no doubt."

"When you lose, you always go looking for excuses," Meier added. "I'm the ideal scapegoat, but that doesn't bother me. It's not my problem. My conscience is clear."

Commenting on David Beckham's missed penalty in the shootout, he said the England captain was caught out by the quality of the pitch

"It was really bad at the penalty spot," he said. "He must not have seen the hole and also shot into a lump of turf. The day before the match the English trained penalty shooting -- but into the other goal."

Meier said he has already received 16,000 e-mails -- some containing threats -- after the English tabloid The Sun published his Internet address.

That prick needs a good hiding. However, whose bright idea at UEFA was it to get a Swiss referee officiating when England had just thrashed Switzerland 3 - 0 days before? Because he needs a double hiding :D England were robbed, yet again... so I here by lobby for a Pierluigi Colina cloning process to start immediately to rid football of these poor referee’s :p

Talking of which, has Pierluigi Colina had an opinion on this? I would like to read his thoughts on that clear goal disallowed by that incompetent prick Urs Meier.

joaomgcd

Rules are to be followed. There is a rule that forbids anyone from the opposite team to touch the goalkeeper in the box. The english guy touched the keeper. It was a foul. The goal was NOT valid! End of story.

Just because they like to overlook rules in the english league doesn't mean everyone does that.

COCKLES

being watched
joaomgcd said:
Rules are to be followed. There is a rule that forbids anyone from the opposite team to touch the goalkeeper in the box. The english guy touched the keeper. It was a foul. The goal was NOT valid! End of story.

Just because they like to overlook rules in the english league doesn't mean everyone does that.

Well there's a reason the English league is exciting while the majority of European soccer like Siera A and Spanish league is like watching paint dry.

Every FIFA directive has only fucked up the game more and more. Just look at the silly balls their using in Euro 2004 - why, or why do they insist on introducing lighter and lighter balls every tourny when the slightest touch makes them go airbourne.

ahaha

I had a better view than that shitty ref and Sol's goal was indeed a goal according to fifa rules. Goal Keeper was flat footed and jumping into sol and john terry. they had the attacking advantage.

amature experts puff all you like. i live football. i know the rules.

anyway, i found this bit hilarious.

EL OH EL! There was hole there! Infact if you look at pics of Davids penalty you can see his standing foot dissappear! Incredible. And the ref didn't even think of switching ends when he saw this hole? Nor did he warn the first penalty taker that it was there? (david beckham) The rest knew of it after obviously. advantage portugal. what a farce of a game.

Anyways, that's last i'll speak of that dark hour for football.

I have a feeling the Dutch will have the luck to win this now. I mean, they fricken barely qualified for this tournement and scraped out of their group. And now they win penalties? SHEESH!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
otheranthony-ns said:
EL OH EL! There was hole there! Infact if you look at pics of Davids penalty you can see his standing foot dissappear! Incredible. And the ref didn't even think of switching ends when he saw this hole? Nor did he warn the first penalty taker that it was there? (david beckham) The rest knew of it after obviously. advantage portugal. what a farce of a game.

I'm pretty sure Beckham noticed the hole. I mean, it was big enough to hide his standing foot after all. ;)

JMPovoa

No way Denmark will finish without a goal. Maybe 3-2 Czech's favour.

And Holland is not as fluent playing as Portugal has been since the Spain game. Portugal has a better midfield and wing men. If only Portugal had Nistelrooj... :(

Maverick

I think the Denmark/Czech game is going to be a lot more exciting than most people believe. I'll say 2-2 with Denmark winning on Penalties.

calder

One thing that sorta sucks is that if the Danes win all 4 semifinalists will be teams I would normally support at least a bit. What fun is a tourney without ppl to cheer against in the final?

joaomgcd

I'm not able to watch the Denmark vs Czech Republic game, but i'm listening the radio commentary and it's been sounding like a real thriller. Has it?

Fifty

Not at all. The crowd (what's with all the empty seats!!) is even doing the wave.

Oh, and by the way, Van Der Sar can be a cocky little prick because he's the best keeper in the world. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom