• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

callous

Christ. 75 minutes of being well in control is worth nothing when you have COMPLETE AND UTTER BREAKDOWN for 15 minutes.

F**K.

joaomgcd

Why doesn't someone in the know do a 1 on 1 comparison between team players in the same position for both matches? Like a Nuno Gomes vs Van Nistelrooy or Deco vs Seedorf or Maniche vs Davids....

Would be cool to see people's opinions on that.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
shibbs said:
yeah, poor Denmark. They played well but just didnt score.
I don't think we did (play well). The Czechs just played worse for most of the game. Awful match.

So much went wrong for us but it was our own damn fault :mad:

B E N K E

Grönkjaer and Jörgensen just can't cross decently. Eventhough Denmark must have gotten into great crossing oppurtunities something like 25-30 times in these championships, not one goal has been scored from a cross. Truly awful precision on the crosses. And eventhough Denmark had the ball they never seemed to really apply speed and pressure. Anyway, they really should play with two strikers if their aim it's to get crosses in the box. With Sand and Tomasson inside the box and the other winger coming in maybe they would get it right once in a while even with awful precision.

Grönkjaer is such a wierd player, he can be totally amazing, going past player after player but then he does something stupid. He would be a brilliant player if he could sort out his crossing he really would

callous

The only reason we didn't play with Sand today is because he is injured, and by god we could have used him today. Grønkjær and Jørgensen can both be amazing, especially Grønkjær, but on other days, like today, they can be all but anonymous. I think Grønkjær broke through twice in the whole match. Not good enough.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Grønkjær is usually quite good. Jørgensen unfortunately has a tendendy to underperform. The problem yesterday was that Gravesen played like shit. His passing was truly woeful. And Claus Jensen, despite being a good footballer, just doesn't fit into the team. He's too anonymous and doesn't really produce anything. When Peter Madsen came on to the pitch our play improved tremendously.

I blame Morten Olsen for not making the needed substitutions much earlier. He's a great tactician but when things don't go according to plan he doesn't know what to do.

Hooker

WTF, a Swede ref is leading the Holland - Portugal game.

And a German ref is leading the Czech vs. Portugal/Holland final.

WTH is that, there's bound to be a grudge

callous

cybamerc said:
I blame Morten Olsen for not making the needed substitutions much earlier. He's a great tactician but when things don't go according to plan he doesn't know what to do.

Exactly :/

Solid

What a boring evening this have been. I've been spoiled with top matches everyday for the last two weeks and here I am crying because there was no matches today. Wednesday can't come soon enough! :(

Hooker said:
WTF, a Swede ref is leading the Holland - Portugal game.

And a German ref is leading the Czech vs. Portugal/Holland final.

WTH is that, there's bound to be a grudge

...and you think there's nothing wrong with a Swiss ref officiating an England v Portugal game? right...

Maverick

Well, I leave for France tomorrow morning, so finally I will be able to see all the rest of the games live.

My money is on Portugal to win now. Too much momentum. Unless the Czechs stay hot, which would be suprising.

Hooker

otheranthony-ns said:
...and you think there's nothing wrong with a Swiss ref officiating an England v Portugal game? right...
You're comparing Germany and Sweden to Switserland now?!

Switserland was in no position to even think of getting to the quarters. Germany and Sweden were, and possibly further than that. I just found it odd that Colina, isn't leading this game. Italy had nothing to do with either Holland or Portugal. And Merk for the final, I dunno...

Miburou

I've read somewhere that no host nation has ever made it to the final game, nevermind won the tournament. If that's true then my money's on a Czech x Holland final, with the Dutch winning this time.

Hooker

Last time it happened was in '84 when Platini lead the French to the cup.

'88 - Holland demolished the Germans
'92 - Germany defeated Sweden
'96 - England devasted themselves
'00 - Holland missed 6 out of 7 penalties :(

JMPovoa

Do some of you remember that game between Holland and Portugal in the Estadio das Antas, where Portugal came back from an 0-2 result to tie it 2-2 with a Figo penalty.
They showed all of the best plays of that match yesterday in one of our portuguese channels, and i was astonished at how fresh and speedy Rui Costa was. That was just 3 years ago! Can 3 years make that much of a difference in someone's fitness? That reminded of why i loved Rui Costa so much back in the day, and he has definately shown throughout the years why he's been so respected by many top players and coaches out there. I mean, in that game he just tore apart the Holland midfield, leaving players like Davids in the dust. Much better display than the magestic player Deco can even dream of. It's amazing that right now i consider Deco a much better player than Rui Costa. Shame....

JMPovoa

Oh no, not another foul debate! ;)

Actually there were two fouls. Were it not been called, it would be a goal all the same. Go back and watch it again if you can! Portugal vs Holland matches in the qualifiers and friendlies were always entertaining. :)

Solid

Have you all seen this? Pretty lame by Trezeguet!

0,,2004300053,00.gif

-=DoAvl=-

Wow! 38 pages long! that's insane!

Anywayz, being a Portuguese citizen by default, I would just like to say VIVE O PORTUGAL for tonight's match!

just need to go get some sleep first... (stupid time difference coz i'm in melbourne).

Hooker

I dunno, Barça is selling and buying TOO many players. The players that made the difference last year are leaving, along with the chemistry.

Note that I'm not blasting the quality of the players bought, Guily and Larsson are great players. But I wanted to see the natural progression of last year, and re-enforcing some of the weaker parts of the team instead of buying a new one...

Alucard

Banned
this blows. I can't watch either game since I'm working afternoon shift. I really want to see both matches too. Anyways, I predict a Czech/Dutch final.

The Czechs are way too stacked not to make it into the final although their defense is a little questionable. It's all about Baros, Nedved and Poborsky. I really want these guys to take the tournament just because I love watching them pass the ball around.

Solid

Hooker said:
I dunno, Barça is selling and buying TOO many players. The players that made the difference last year are leaving, along with the chemistry.

Note that I'm not blasting the quality of the players bought, Guily and Larsson are great players. But I wanted to see the natural progression of last year, and re-enforcing some of the weaker parts of the team instead of buying a new one...
You're just angry cause all the dutche's got kicked ;)

ourumov

We don't need Deco...Xavi has done an awesome job on the second part of the League this year...
An about Larson...I don't know what to think. he is very old... I would have prefered Trezegol...
However, I am happy about Belleti
Now the priorities are Eto and Ballack...Oh, and fuck Davids...He has been playing with us since the end of the League, if he wants more money he is not going to get it that way.

FORÇA BARÇA !!!!

Tot el camp

es un clam

som la gent blau grana;

tant se val d’ on venim,

Si del sud o del nord,

ara estem d’acord, estem d’acord,

una bandera ens agermana:

blaugrana al vent,

un crit valent,

tenim un nom,

el sap tothom:

Barça!, Barça!, Barça!

JMPovoa

1-0 to Portugal at half time. Should be winning by more. Pauleta missed a glamorous opportunity and Figo hit the post with an excellent left footed shot.

Holland were denied the 1-1 by the linesman, as he was indeed offside (if only by a little margin).

Let's hope the 2nd half is better.

COCKLES

being watched
2-0 - Holy shit. That could well be one of the best goals ever.

Can't see Portugal doing anything but winning the tourny on this form.

JMPovoa

Man, the portuguese players do enjoy making the portuguese suffer. So many clear cut chances blasted away. Portugal was much better than Holland i'm afraid. 3 goals for Portugal, yet one on our own net. Maybe we wanted an easy goal and there it was ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom