• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify discontinues Car Thing. EoS starting Dec 2024

In another episode of "you own nothing and you'll be happy!"

Car Thing is our first hardware product that allows users to control Spotify through car speakers when connected to a phone by using both voice recognition and preset buttons.

We have made the decision to discontinue Car Thing. This means that Car Thing will no longer be operational. This decision wasn't made lightly, and we want to assure you that our commitment to providing a superior listening experience remains unchanged.

We acknowledge and deeply appreciate the support and enthusiasm you have shown for Car Thing. It has been an incredible journey, and we are grateful for all the miles we've shared.

The best part is this:
What should I do with the device?
We recommend resetting your Car Thing to factory settings and safely disposing of your device following local electronic waste guidelines. Contact your state or local waste disposal department to determine how to dispose of or recycle Car Thing in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
LOL spotify flat out admits the thing you bought will become e-waste. Didn't this thing came out like only 2 years ago?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Why would you need a separate hardware item? Shouldn’t you be able to simply pair your phone with your car sound system and then just use voice to control the music through your phone?

Also, are they still selling this product? Shouldn’t they at least provide support inside the warranty period of the last item sold?

Soodanim

Spotify's other recent acts include laying off 1500 people (17% of its workforce), introducing AI (replacement?), and raising prices.

daffyduck

Why would you need a separate hardware item? Shouldn’t you be able to simply pair your phone with your car sound system and then just use voice to control the music through your phone?

Also, are they still selling this product? Shouldn’t they at least provide support inside the warranty period of the last item sold?
Maybe for those who are still driving a somewhat old car.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Trash Parking GIF by Rosemarie Records

Spotify is agreed a win for podcasts, streaming but the headlines drive me nuts it’s some artist bitching about revenue, support ending for some device etc. it wasn’t that long ago that streaming music exploded on the scene…

Ariana Grande Singing GIF by The Voice

bati

This puzzles me too, my phone connects via Car Play (or whatever the Apple thing is called, I explored like 1% of its features since I got a company iPhone), and I can queue up any song I want through Siri. I am missing a few features though, like adding a banger of a song to the current playlist (which is a separate topic on its own, why tf does the playlist continue with random songs rather than looping), or just generally manipulating Spotify with voice commands beyond telling it what song to play. Maybe it circumvents some of these issues?

T8SC

This puzzles me too, my phone connects via Car Play (or whatever the Apple thing is called, I explored like 1% of its features since I got a company iPhone), and I can queue up any song I want through Siri. I am missing a few features though, like adding a banger of a song to the current playlist (which is a separate topic on its own, why tf does the playlist continue with random songs rather than looping), or just generally manipulating Spotify with voice commands beyond telling it what song to play. Maybe it circumvents some of these issues?

There was a time when Apple Car Play & Android Auto was a figment of your imagination and people used aux cables from devices like this:

images

Wait until you learn about the time cars didn't have fuel injection and you had to wind a window down using a rotational handle.

xrnzaaas

I can see the appeal since you may still want to use Spotify if you only have a standard radio and no Android/Carplay compatible infotainment in your car. I guess it's too big of a niche to continue, but it still sucks they're going to end it just like that for people who paid for the device.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

You can. My phone and Spotify app connect to my car via Bluetooth. I could use voice commands, but it's easier to use to the controls on the wheel to change tracks.

I've been using Spotify for 8 years and have never had an issue with playing music in the car. I also didn't even know this thing existed until looking at this thread. Sounds like a pointless device

bati

There was a time when Apple Car Play & Android Auto was a figment of your imagination and people used aux cables from devices like this:

images

Wait until you learn about the time cars didn't have fuel injection and you had to wind a window down using a rotational handle.

Bruh I'll be 40 this year, and your point still makes no sense.

ReBurn

Gold Member

images

You didn't go back far enough.

JqM8IGR.jpeg

Top Bottom